BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Defensive Issues

I'm not sure how today could have been any better. A determined, stoic performance from the lads, who currently look like a team that is very difficult to beat.

One of the most satisfying aspects of the last few games has been the emergence of Jones at centre half. He was immense today, and looks like he's been playing in the PL for years. As much as I admire Nelsen's commitment and undoubted passion for Rovers, I can't help but feel that this has clouded people's judgement about his ability as a defender. He's made several costly mistakes throughout the season, and I think he's put himself in a position where he's considered to be above criticism. Other players receive far more abuse from the fans for minor mistakes (Keith Andrews, to take a name completely at random).

It seems hard not to feel that we look much better across the back with Salgado - Jones - Samba - Givet than we did with Nelsen.

Is it time for The Admiral to step down from the bridge?

So you're suggesting that because an eighteen year old has emerged and had three good games that either;

1. Nelsen should hand in a transfer request surrendering his future at the club?

2. We should sell Nelsen as there is no future for him?

Hopefully Jones will prove a ready made successor to Samba when the time comes that we receive a big offer. Until that point, however, I think it's important not to get ahead of ourselves, while competition for places is also very healthy.

• Backroom

Nelsen is getting on, and within the next year or two will have to be replaced. It's fantastic that Jones looks like he could be the man to step into that role in the near future. Early days yet, but if we are able to replace Nelsen with a lad from the academy that would save hugely on a transfer fee (and in all liklihood wages, too).

Still, the Admiral has plenty to give to the club yet, and his strength and leadership shouldn't be ignored. He's a big player for us and can be still for a couple of years yet, even if he begins to drop out of the team as a regular. I'm certainly in no hurry to see him leave.

Nelsen has been one of our better performers this season and it looks like people are quick to forget. Before his injury he was acting the model professional and leader being the rock at the back of our defence. He's made mistakes, as have all our defenders, and been rightly criticises for it but to suggest he should step down or has no future is ludicrous.

Nelsen still has a part to play, but I think he's now potentially our 4th best CB, behind Samba and Givet. Think Jones needs to be together a run of more than 3 matches before he can become number 3.

We still need his experience, but he's been too streaky the past 2 seasons to be relied on as our main man.

• Backroom

I think it's no coincidence that 3 managers have stuck with Nelsen as captain, he may not have the legs he once did but his leadership and dedication on and off the pitch cannot be bought.

We need to keep him around imo. Jones has been superb though but with a lot of youngsters its not easy to maintain that early form and he will need a break for his own good.

To clarify: I wasn't suggesting Nelsen leaves, just that he might struggle to be the first name on the teamsheet he has been previously. I certainly don't want him to hand in a transfer request.

I realise it's early days for Jones, but his maturity and confidence mark him out as a potentially excellent defender.

We need Jones' pace, and Nelsen can't offer that unfortunately. And if Jones can hang with Chelsea and Didier Drogba, I think he's ready for anything.

It'd make no sense dropping an in-form player, so Nelsen will have to wait a bit on the bench I think. He'll get his chance when someone gets injured.

Jones certainly looks the part,

BUT

He isn't going to be able to pull this form off week in week out and we will see how good his charachter is when he does make a mistake or if he has a generally bad 90mins.

Personally at the moment he looks like we have somthing special and long term I dont think it will be just Samba leaving for a massive fee.

Nelsen will stay, I don't think he will feature as much next term but will still play a big part at the club I hope.

Jones certainly looks the part,

BUT

He isn't going to be able to pull this form off week in week out and we will see how good his charachter is when he does make a mistake or if he has a generally bad 90mins.

Personally at the moment he looks like we have somthing special and long term I dont think it will be just Samba leaving for a massive fee.

Nelsen will stay, I don't think he will feature as much next term but will still play a big part at the club I hope.

In addition to all the usual attributes you look for in a centre-half, Jones has the ability to open up an opposition defence with an inch perfect threaded pass. I think we are really onto something here. But talk of dumping Nelsen is tasteless. Loyalty is a two way street.

In addition to all the usual attributes you look for in a centre-half, Jones has the ability to open up an opposition defence with an inch perfect threaded pass. I think we are really onto something here. But talk of dumping Nelsen is tasteless. Loyalty is a two way street.

I wouldn't dump Nelsen but it is hard to see how he is going to start. Samba and Givet are better centrebacks, and to be honest jones looks like an improvement too. I am all for loyalty, but he is in an untenable position as captain now.

It will have to move on, probably to Samba full time I think because he is the first name on the teamsheet. The only other candidate is Robinson as no one else is guaranteed a start apart from Nzonzi who is too young.

• Backroom

If we're basing everything on loyalty then Tony Parkes should still be here as assistant manager. Fact is, times change, people get older, the club needs to move on to strengthen. We've paid Nelsen a very good wage, given him many years in arguably the best league in the world and as fans have always given him our full support. I'm all for keeping Nelsen in the squad, whether it be as a sub or as a coach, but I don't think it's disloyal to think about how we're going to replace him.

He's made several costly mistakes throughout the season, and I think he's put himself in a position where he's considered to be above criticism.

Is it time for The Admiral to step down from the bridge?

I can think of,

Everton away, I think it was the third goal, not exactly costly as the game was lost by that time

Man City away, can't remember which goal(s), but was it or were they costly?

Chelsea away, another game that was lost the minute Givet headed into his own net, not exactly costly

Tottenham home, you could argue that we should have closed down the cross, I think Samba would have struggled with the height of Crouch

Fulham away, very unfortunate not to get the ball, he tried to make a challenge, is that what defenders are supposed to do? Our midfield could have helped out defensively

Wigan away, he was left marking two players because Givet was out of position. He did get an assist in that game

Sunderland home, however much it looked like Nelsen was at fault for Bent's second goal it was Samba

You may be able to add to the ones I've mentioned, I don't think many of his mistakes have been "costly". He's hardly put a foot wrong in the home games.

If anything Samba has made as many, if not more mistakes but has been fortunate they haven't cost us

Hull City away, almost scored an own goal

Wigan away, almost scored an own goal

Villa away (cup) sent off

Stoke away, sent off

Villa home (cup) challenge on Agbonahlor, it looked like a penalty

Burnley away, was very close to being a penalty

I'm not suggesting we should drop Samba or that he should "step down" I'm just making a point. All our defenders have made mistakes, except Jones, Phil Jones is Superman! I just think you're forgetting what Nelsen's done for the team this season, offensively and defensively.

Archived