BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Poll Time - Rovers Under Big Sam Part 2

Guest Kamy100

357 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the direction that the club is heading in Under Big Sam?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure Either Way At The Moment

We are operating on bare minimum full stop. The 'heights' of Souness and Hughes are not guaranteed to return under any manager and with any amount of funding. The issue is running the club in an orderly manner and not turning into a Pompey, West Ham, Newcastle, Charlton, Southampton or Leeds.

Sam has had to start rebuilding somewhere, and he has obviously chosen the back first. He's shored up the defence with a couple of good signings and bringing youth through. It will take a long time for Sam to get the squad where he wants it with the limited funds we have available. This closed season will see Sam strengthen the squad again hopefully add a creative midfielder and a decent striker. We will always have problems in certain areas at a club like ours as we can not have the strength in depth as the big clubs have. Once Sam has strengthened all areas over a period of time he will no doubt have to start rebuilding again as players move on to pastures new. It's the nature of the beast for a club like ours, we all need to realise that we are not a big club and as long as we are in the top flight we are punching above our weight.

Comparing against clubs around us and below us, Sam has done a stern job in his short period of time at the helm. We need to be patient and support Sam and his decisions then in a couple of seasons I hope we will reap the benefit with a couple of trips into Europe as we did under Hughes and Sam did at Bolton. Luckily we have a good manager and an excellent board who have the clubs best interest at heart. Compare that to West Ham, Sunderland, Hull.. and the 'mighty' Liverpool! We are a stable and self sufficient club who's manager does not demand mega millions to just exist in the top flight with no improvement (ie Liverpool & Sunderland).

We all need to understand that it is going to take time to break into the top half and challenge for Europe. Challenging against the likes of Villa, Everton & Fulham (yes Fulham!) is the best we can realistically ask for and we are not too far off them now. We are closer to European qualification than we are to relegation and that says to me we are going in the right direction. We just need to be patient and back the manager, support the club and reap the benefits in the not too distant future.

I think you're right in most things but I really don't know what you mean by 'stern job'...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Iv just had a look at some of the interesting stats which back-up our campaign to date….it shows we have a much improved defence & a much greater resolve at seeing games out….its now just a case of cutting out individual errors, improving our goals scored & also pushing on abit more in games which we are drawing at half time.

It also shows that we are very good against the bottom half, but need to start taking a few more off the top teams – which to be fair we have started to do more recently.

So far we have managed 12 clean sheets this season – more than Spurs, Everton & City and its level with Arsenal - Only bettered by United, Chelsea, Liverpool & Villa.

6 clean sheets in the last 11 – show very positive signs with just 1 goal conceded in recent games against Chelsea, United & Liverpool.

In 15 games we have conceded more than 1 goal – against certain teams (Burnley, Sunderland, Stoke) it shouldn’t be happening. In those 15 games we have only scored 12 goals. We have only won 1 of those games (Burnley) & Drawn 1 (Sunderland).

Now this is the highlighting bit……In the 19 games where have conceded less than 2 goals – we have not lost any games, winning 10, drawing 9.

7th in the league from recovering from being behind to gaining points. 11 points gained from being in a losing position. (Chelsea 1st with 15pts)

In the 11 games where have taken the lead – we have gone on to take 25 pts, and lost only 2 of those games…

In the 10 games we have been winning at half time – we have won 9 and lost 0.

In the 11 games we have been losing at half time – we have won just 1 game & drawn 1 game come full time.

In the 11 games where it has been a draw at half time – we have gone on to win 1, lose 2 & draw 8 – scoring just 5 and conceding just 7..(15th in the league for that)....So sometimes we need to either create that bit more or take that little bit more of a risk

V Bottom half of the league…In 17 games we have lost just 2, winning 9 – and conceding just 13 goals.

V Top half of the league…In 17 games we have won just 2, losing 11 – and scoring just 11 goals in total – yet conceding 37.

A lot of the above stats taken from football 365 stats.

A few Target's to maybe set the players NEXT season:

• Try not to lose more than 11 games
  • Away games – improve our form to say 5 away wins
  • Do not concede more than 1 goal in more than 10 games
  • We have had 7 0-0’s – now we need to target turning at least 3 of them into a 1-0
  • Positive goal difference

Games we realistically could have won – Sunderland (H & A), Stoke (H), Liverpool (H), Pompey (A), West Ham (H & A), Hull (A)

A general note is that a positive goal difference tends to land you around 8th – 10th

- 20 GD last season

- 15 GD this season so far

We have failed to score in 14 games so far this season…7 of them ended 0-0….1 goal scored would of made a MASSIVE impact on our season

Although I am very positive about the improvements during the Season and my hope for 10% to 15% better next there are 2 worrying aspects.

Firstly,Goal difference never lies - good or bad (but the first part of the Season we had few strong team squads to pick from -that's why our Keef

played so much)

And secondly when was the last time our leading goalscorer had so FEW goals - must have been Sean Currie in the early 90s (??)

On both Polls I said YES...cos his task has been so difficult.

Iv just had a look at some of the interesting stats which back-up our campaign to date….it shows we have a much improved defence & a much greater resolve at seeing games out….its now just a case of cutting out individual errors, improving our goals scored & also pushing on abit more in games which we are drawing at half time.

It also shows that we are very good against the bottom half, but need to start taking a few more off the top teams – which to be fair we have started to do more recently.

So far we have managed 12 clean sheets this season – more than Spurs, Everton & City and its level with Arsenal - Only bettered by United, Chelsea, Liverpool & Villa.

6 clean sheets in the last 11 – show very positive signs with just 1 goal conceded in recent games against Chelsea, United & Liverpool.

In 15 games we have conceded more than 1 goal – against certain teams (Burnley, Sunderland, Stoke) it shouldn’t be happening. In those 15 games we have only scored 12 goals. We have only won 1 of those games (Burnley) & Drawn 1 (Sunderland).

Now this is the highlighting bit……In the 19 games where have conceded less than 2 goals – we have not lost any games, winning 10, drawing 9.

7th in the league from recovering from being behind to gaining points. 11 points gained from being in a losing position. (Chelsea 1st with 15pts)

In the 11 games where have taken the lead – we have gone on to take 25 pts, and lost only 2 of those games…

In the 11 games we have been losing at half time – we have won just 1 game & drawn 1 game come full time.

In the 11 games where it has been a draw at half time – we have gone on to win 1, lose 2 & draw 8 – scoring just 5 and conceding just 7..(15th in the league for that)....So sometimes we need to either create that bit more or take that little bit more of a risk

V Bottom half of the league…In 17 games we have lost just 2, winning 9 – and conceding just 13 goals.

V Top half of the league…In 17 games we have won just 2, losing 11 – and scoring just 11 goals in total – yet conceding 37.

• We have had 7 0-0’s – now we need to target turning at least 3 of them into a 1-0

Games we realistically could have won – Sunderland (H & A), Stoke (H), Liverpool (H), Pompey (A), West Ham (H & A), Hull (A)

A general note is that a positive goal difference tends to land you around 8th – 10th

- 20 GD last season

We have failed to score in 14 games so far this season…7 of them ended 0-0….1 goal scored would of made a MASSIVE impact on our season

All achieved with the best discipline record for a decade, currently 53 points, our avg. under MH was around 80 and even last season 79.

All achieved with the best discipline record for a decade, currently 53 points, our avg. under MH was around 80 and even last season 79.

To me, that is more remarkable as we haven't changed our playing staff that much. Our main erm 'offenders' are mostly still here.

SA's marched down to refs HQ with video evidence and crossed sword with Keith Hackett a few times. I guess refs must be aware that he will not lie down and die on some issues and therefore need to be a little more thoughtful when dishing out yellows.

- 20 GD last season

When you look at the league table and recent results we appear to have had a good season. But, here's another stat for you - 95% of the time it has been truly dire as a spectacle!

This season dictates BFS deserves a chance to see if he can take us forward into next. Can he rise to the challenge?

My two hopes are that we address the complete lack of any creativity, and at least try to play a little more football. While BFS says we lack a goalscorer, if you don't create any chances for the striker it's gonna be difficult for him to score? That's where we need to concentrate our efforts in signing players - I think if you give Niko chances he'll put them away.

3 months ago I would have agreed hands down but its obvious our "football" has improved leaps and bounds.

Did you enjoy Sunday?

It's been a while since I've enjoyed the 'Get the defence to take it off them and then boot it back up to their defence to give them another go' tactic.

Pros:

Home Record

Aston Villa away (We can play football)

Phil Jones

Martin Ollson

Steven N’Zonzi

Defending most of the times

Regimented

Burnley home and away

Cons:

Away record

Throwing games far to easily

Lack of flair and pace

4-5-1 played at the wrong time in certain games

Pretty boring

Overall happy with the job done this season. However, we cannot rely on our home form for keeping us up next season. We have taken about 10 points on the road (off the top of my head) which is shocking and highlights why Bolton fans never travelled!

In your face football?

Think it was more a case of 'Lucky that Rooney was injured and Berbatov is ****' football?

I didnt see the same game as you did. I think I saw Givet in a clattering tackle with Neville. Phil Jones and Samba/Nelsen giving Berbatov a very hard time. Our own Michel Salgado putting Nani in place early in the game. Grella and Nzonzi battling with a very good midfield.

However, we cannot rely on our home form for keeping us up next season. We have taken about 10 points on the road (off the top of my head) which is shocking and highlights why Bolton fans never travelled!

Its very typical for this years Premier League season. Not many teams have been able to win away. Even the big boys have been struggling with their away form.

In your face football?

Think it was more a case of 'Lucky that Rooney was injured and Berbatov is ****' football?

So lucky that he cost more that our entire team?! :wacko:

Make up all the excuses you want - we matched them and didnt give them the freedom they usually get! :tu:

I don't really care about 'style of play' too much, if Rovers win (or get a decent draw against the top teams) I walk away from Ewood happy.

It's about getting the ball in the net and not conceeding. Which we have done well at home this year, especially given:

a) Sam's budget restrictions

B ) The mess we were in when he took over

Sounds like some people want Ince's free-flowing entertaining football back.

I don't really care about 'style of play' too much, if Rovers win (or get a decent draw against the top teams) I walk away from Ewood happy.

It's about getting the ball in the net and not conceeding. Which we have done well at home this year, especially given:

a) Sam's budget restrictions

B ) The mess we were in when he took over

Sounds like some people want Ince's free-flowing entertaining football back.

I agree OJ, we can't have it both ways. Look at West Brom, they played some good football last season and it got them nowhere.

Sam's not been here long but is making Ewood into a fortress again and teams do not look forward to playing us.

I think part of the problem is that people take too much notice of the media and forget where we have come from and how it used to be. We should be proud of what we are able to achieve on such a tight budget, I certainly am.

If we improve our away form next season we should be looking at a top half finish with no messing about at the bottom of the league at any point of the season. Another decent cup run would be nice too.

Archived