BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preason 2010

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was born and raised in edinburgh, a couple of miles from Tynecastle, and used to go to Hearts games as a kid (living in Aberdeen now). But my Dad is from Blackburn, and I've been going to Rovers games since the mid-80s, and consider myself a Rovers fan first and foremost. Really looking forward to seeing my two teams play each other- I can't lose can I? Unlike when we got thrashed 3-0 by Hibs on Shearer's Rovers debut at Easter Road in 1992, it won't hurt too much if the Jam Tarts roll us over.

Recommended pubs pre-game: Diggers, as has been mentioned, or one (or all) of the pubs at Haymarket: e.g. The Haymarket Bar, Ryrie's, the Mercat.

From Haymarket you're talking about a 15-20 mins walk to Tynecastle. For those starting beer consumption early I would recommend doing the bars at Haymarket and then possibly stopping in at Diggers on the way to the ground (although it is a slight detour). Diggers is about 5 mins or so from the ground. Haymarket is a sensible location for Rovers fans to congregate for pre- and post-match refreshments as all trains to Edinburgh from the West Coast main line (i.e. from Preston) will stop at Haymarket. For those staying in Glasgow, all trains from there will also stop at Haymarket (it is Edinburgh's west end station, just a few minutes before the main station, Waverley).

To re-emphasise what others have said, because it's festival time accommodation in edinburgh will be at a premium; it's best to book as far in advance as possible, i.e. now if you know that you're going. But it's a double-edged sword- it's worth trying to find some accommodation as the atmosphere and night life in Edinburgh during August is amazing, so it's well worth taking advantage of this opportunity to check it out. The whole city comes alive, pubs & clubs have the option of using extended licenses (to 3am & 5am respectively), there is street theatre of all varieties as well as literally thousands of shows in hundreds of venues all around the city.

To re-emphasise what others have said, because it's festival time accommodation in edinburgh will be at a premium; it's best to book as far in advance as possible, i.e. now if you know that you're going. But it's a double-edged sword- it's worth trying to find some accommodation as the atmosphere and night life in Edinburgh during August is amazing, so it's well worth taking advantage of this opportunity to check it out. The whole city comes alive, pubs & clubs have the option of using extended licenses (to 3am & 5am respectively), there is street theatre of all varieties as well as literally thousands of shows in hundreds of venues all around the city.

For anyone who hasn't already got accommodation, check out First Edinburgh, which is the corporate side of University of Edinburgh. They're charging 100 a night for a twin or double room.

Charging you to stay there....great friend! :lol:

Well more of a work colleague - but still at £15 a night when its festival weekend - im not complaining! :tu:

When is the Graz game? We have family in Austria so it could be worth a trip....

Well more of a work colleague - but still at £15 a night when its festival weekend - im not complaining! :tu:

When is the Graz game? We have family in Austria so it could be worth a trip....

Make sure you find out how much they're charging you to stay with them before you buy a ticket.

I did look at it but just didn't have the time to go, the flights are pretty expensive though. I know there are other ways but from Manc to Graz is currently £404 return :s

quite a few of us going out,

i know of 10 at least!

i will be flying out on friday to monday!

flights from stansted are only about 70 quid direct to graz!!

Get on it!!

Nothing has been received back as yet with regards to Sturm Graz ticket information – we are hoping to receive this information very shortly and once we have we will ensure it is placed on our website.

Archived