BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers' Keepers

Rovers set to cull keeper quota

Reports that Rovers are set to bring in Frank Fielding as third choice keeper and jettison either Brown or Bunn.

Brown has been a fairly average keeper but apart from a few slips has hardly disgraced himself when called on to stand in for either Brad or Robbo. I just think he is the wrong shape for a goalkeeper. That said he's managed to get this far in his career so what do I know! I'm only guessing but it seems realistic to assume that he's our second highest paid goalie.

Bunn on the other hand appeared to have good pedigree when he first arrived but hasn't really had a look in. In fact it could be argued he already has one foot out the door given he's playing elsewhere. Or he could just be getting valuable match practise under his belt. Whereas Brown seems to be No.1 benchwarmer.

Fielding, I can fully understand being given the chance to step up. Young lad coming through the ranks. Perhaps a good understanding with the likes of Phil Jones.

Overall it might feel like we are weakening our options, and I can understand trying to save some wages but if Robbo was out for any length I wouldn't like to rely on Jason anyway. So for me he'd be the one to make way.

Thoughts? Isthis poll-worthy? (Or even thread-worthy?!)

I think it's a valid thread!

I'd keep Bunn and get rid of Brown. Brown (as aluded to already) is a strange keeper and has little real presence in the box, and the defence seem more nervous when he's in goal.

Brown is a decent backup, but Bunn has had a great season at Sheffield Utd and they are very keen to get him back.

Watched Huddersfield Millwall last night and Huddersfield have a very good young keeper, his command of the box and the taking of crosses was excellent!! one to watch!

Watched Fielding with Rochdale and I wasnt too impressed, as for Bunn, think he has a chance of stepping up!

So for me Jason Brown should be the one to leave and try and take Fielding to the next level.

Guest andrewpickup

i saw bunn at the petrol station recently, he blocked off two pumps with a giant white landrover diouf mobile, didnt buy any petrol. he was then in the que in front of me, he bought a sausage roll with a 50 note and never said thanks. so on that basis him

iv seen fielding play a few times and tbh he wasnt much, dont get me wrong decent keepeer but league 1/championship standard at the highest.... also he's a cocky sh*t with ears the size of satelites ^_^:lol: (not that it has aything to do with anything)

Brown's performances for Blackburn this season have been solid and I think he probably gets a lot more criticism than he probably deserves considering how well he's played when he's been called into the first team. To be fair to him, he didn't really deserve to be dropped but obviously when you have a keeper of Robinson's class available then I guess it isn't rocket science whether to play Robinson or Brown. I think Jason Brown has proved this season that he is hungry to play first team football regularly but we all know that this won't be at Blackburn. I think we could probably demand quite a decent fee for him as well as he's now got Premier League experience, he's an international and he's shown he's a solid keeper. With Bunn gaining valuable experience at Sheffield United and also having some impressive performances too, then he's probably ready to step up to the Blackburn bench and be our number 2. Whether he wants to be number 2 after having played a season of first team games, we'll have to wait and see.

Brown has never really let us down as Sam commented on before bringing Robbo back in.

Brown has the upper hand in terms of experience out of the three so should command a higher fee and I would imagine higher wages, probably Championship No.1 at best.

Bunn & Fielding never seen first hand, I would have to say let the money do the talking.

i saw bunn at the petrol station recently, he blocked off two pumps with a giant white landrover diouf mobile, didnt buy any petrol. he was then in the que in front of me, he bought a sausage roll with a 50 note and never said thanks. so on that basis him

I wish I had posted that!

Guest andrewpickup

I wish I had posted that!

dont you just. the bp/somerfield on preston new road is a BRFC haven, ive also seen givet and nzonzi there having some sort of domestic by the magazines. Turns out though big gael is basically stevens chaperone and driver which would account for how well he has settled. the 'domestic' was probably just a case of. " you can have nuts OR zoo steven, not both"

and dont get me started about the day that pascal chimbondas car wash token wouldnt work

M62 near Blackburn is another haven for Rovers players. My dad owns it, and Samba, Tugay, Andrews and Diouf all regulars there. Not sure if Andrews will be coming back after last time round. Forgot his card when he fueled up and we threatened to call the police if he never had the cash. Had to wake his wife up and drop his card off. Poor soul.

I've saw a lot of Bunn when he was at Northampton and it would be a big mistake if we got rid of him.

It's a real shame the Rovers fans haven't had a chance to see him in action because I definitely think they'd like what they see.

Fielding is young and has potential but can be massively erratic and doesn't look completely natural in the art of being a 'keeper.

As for Brown, he's been a willing servant but it's time for him to move on.

Bye Bye Jason Brown.

Watched Huddersfield Millwall last night and Huddersfield have a very good young keeper, his command of the box and the taking of crosses was excellent!! one to watch!

Presume that is Alex Smithies who is Englands youth team keeper and very highly rated. Suprised someone hasn't bought him and loaned him back. Well worth buying as he looks a talent.

20 years old and has already made 72 apps for Huddersfield.

Bye Bye Jason Brown.

Presume that is Alex Smithies who is Englands U21 keeper and very highly rated. Suprised someone hasn't bought him and loaned him back. Well worth buying as he looks a talent.

Browns kicking is awful, with a prolonged run in the team it will cost us goals, so for me he has to go.

Browns kicking is awful, with a prolonged run in the team it will cost us goals, so for me he has to go.

I wouldn't go as far as awufl but it leaves a lot to be desired. The time that annoys me about him is the time he takes to distribute the ball. I noticed most against Forest in the cup he just killed any advantage we could get on the counter attack by holding on to the ball when options were available. Add to that he couldn't build an affective wall against brum nor save the shot on his side of the goal. Also the defence looks very unsure of any lofted balls into the box and you have all the nails you need to close that coffin.

I'm not saying that Bunn would be any better but he hasn't been given a go, Brown has.

Neither Brown nor Bunn would reduce our wages significantly or command a transfer fee above 0.5 mill £ or so, which means I really don't see the point of changing things up. Robinson is good enough for our current position as a club, Brown is a competent backup-keeper for 5-10 games per season and Bunn as well as Fielding have their best years ahead of them but needs experience. Keep farming those two out on loans, and keep Robinson and Brown at the club.

Archived