BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mma

Did you watch via a link or on TV? If TV what channel?

I'm a huge MMA fan, Bellamy11 and I went to the last UFC event at the MEN (Randy vs Vera). I like Urijah Faber but Aldo schooled him last night. Vicious leg kicks. I need to catch up on TUF, havent seen the latest season yet, have you been watching? From what I've heard Chuck comes off a bit dull and Tito is as big a douchebag as always.

The best thing about the UFC if Joe Rogan. I love that guy.

Did you watch via a link or on TV? If TV what channel?

I'm a huge MMA fan, Bellamy11 and I went to the last UFC event at the MEN (Randy vs Vera). I like Urijah Faber but Aldo schooled him last night. Vicious leg kicks. I need to catch up on TUF, havent seen the latest season yet, have you been watching? From what I've heard Chuck comes off a bit dull and Tito is as big a douchebag as always.

The best thing about the UFC if Joe Rogan. I love that guy.

Cool (Watched a link), it was a pretty good show I thought, I can't believe just how good Aldo was, total dominance, perhaps could have tried a little harder to finish him but at least he didn't do an Anderson Silva. Faber even said he had trained hard to defend the leg kicks but couldn't do anything to prevent them and just got completely destroyed by them. (Was it she Shogun/Machida fight when Cecil Peoples said leg kicks don't win fights? Idiot!) Faber had nothing left after that and couldn't even get close to him to try anything and was made to look very mediocre which isn't a knock on Faber but again just reiterating how good Aldo was. You can question why he didn't shoot in earlier and try and take him down but firstly that's no easy task and I'm not sure he'd have faired any better, Aldo looked so slick on the ground when it went there as well.

Wasn't surprised by Manny beating Brown, I was always impressed with him back on TUF a few seasons back and called that one before the fight. They are already saying he could be Aldo's next opponent, not sure if he'll be able to offer anything than Faber couldn't other than perhaps punching harder, small reach though so can he get close to connect. Could be an interesting fight just to see if Aldo will dominate again.

Really enjoyed the prelim fight between Sung Jung and Garcia that a lot of people were raving about, maybe not technically superb at times but great heart and guts by both of them slugging it out for 15 minutes, very much in the mould of Griffin vs Bonnar!

I've watched the TUF episodes so far this year, to be fair they haven't focused that much on the coaches, Tito is just being Tito and Liddell hasn't done anything memorable. (Liddell is/was a great fighter but I think his style is almost unique, it's hard to coach what he can do, the best things he offers are experience and the help of his own coaches) They haven't really focused too much on the coaches so far, I suspect as there is obvious a spanner in the works down the line due to the fight between the two being off. Surprised no rumours have leaked out yet on why Tito presumably leaves the show. he fights themselves have been a lot better though, compared to the heavyweights of last year! Pretty even matchups so far, nobody's stood out for me so far. I'm a little disappointed to be honest because it's more about the characters now more than ever and showing replays than actually seeing the guys improve and progress. Yeger seems like a tool.

Joe Rogan is my hero and is probably the most interesting person I know of, you don't have to be interested in fighting or comedy to be fascinated by that guy. (Such a shame the fight a few years back with Wesley Snipes never materialised, I'd have loved to have seen him own him!)

What do you think on Toney coming to the UFC and fighting Randy? Surely Randy's going to just ground and pound him out with ease unless Toney gets very good at wrestling very fast or catches an early lucky strike. I guess you never know...

Rogan is extremely interesting, do you follow his twitter?

I didnt know about Randy fighting James Toney, I hope that doesnt happen. Randy should school him but its MMA and it would be criminal if Toney somehow caught him and knocked him out.

Havent seen the Garcia fight but I remember him from when he fought Roger Huerta, if you havent seen that fight you really have to, absolute war as good as Griffin-Bonner in my opinion. Great sportmanship at the end too.

I'll have to catch up on TUF, I didnt know Tito left? Used to be a big Tito fan as I like the brash personalities when they're good enough to back it up. He's lost it but doesnt seem to have realised.

Oh, and I really don't like Manny Gamburyan. Probably because he's related to Karo (and the only decent thing Karo ever did was the "my Judo throws are the best" song that features on Undisputed 2009). I was pleased when Rob Emerson knocked him out and sent him down a weight class.

Rogan is extremely interesting, do you follow his twitter?

I didnt know about Randy fighting James Toney, I hope that doesnt happen. Randy should school him but its MMA and it would be criminal if Toney somehow caught him and knocked him out.

Havent seen the Garcia fight but I remember him from when he fought Roger Huerta, if you havent seen that fight you really have to, absolute war as good as Griffin-Bonner in my opinion. Great sportmanship at the end too.

I'll have to catch up on TUF, I didnt know Tito left? Used to be a big Tito fan as I like the brash personalities when they're good enough to back it up. He's lost it but doesnt seem to have realised.

Oh, and I really don't like Manny Gamburyan. Probably because he's related to Karo (and the only decent thing Karo ever did was the "my Judo throws are the best" song that features on Undisputed 2009). I was pleased when Rob Emerson knocked him out and sent him down a weight class.

Sorry, should have put a few spoiler warnings in!

Tito hasn't left as such yet, but the fight between him an Liddell is off, Dana has confirmed Liddell will now face Rich Franklin, no reason given though, we just have to watch TUF to find out so could be interesting to see what happens. I'm guessing it's not an injury or a cut or something or they'd have just said it, I'm guessing Chuck winds him up and Tito walks out but I guess we'll see. I was never really a massive Tito fan, dominant back in his day but I don't think he's ever lost without having an excuse for it.

Yeh Courture and Toney is all but confirmed for UFC 118. I think it could really hurt the sport if Toney was to get a win so hopefully Randy does school him.

I hate Karo too, he's a whiny little bitch, not a massive fan of Manny either but I think he has talent at 145.

Yeh I basically signed up to Twitter to follow Joe Rogan lol, have you seen his ustream/podcast things? There very good, he does them weekly usually, I haven't caught up with them for the last few weeks because they are usually about 3 hours long!

Wow so glad some one started this, I'm a huge MMA fan. Garcia Jung the other night on WEC 48 was one of the most epic fights ever, and I don't think many people will dispute that, though I thought Jung was robbed.

I loved seeing Mike Brown get KTFO.

Uriah's one of my favorite fighters but Aldo did beat him up real good. Check out Faber's twitter if you wanna see some gnarly pics of his legs post Aldo.

LOLed yesterday at Tito. Sucks for Jenna but Tito is so easy to hate. Tool.

I've been pretty good in staying up to the with TUF this season and it's not a bad group this time around. With the heavier guys like last season the fights are always slow and painful but there's been some real good ones this season.

Anyone have any feelings towards Jamie Yager?

And Tito is an awful coach.

Anyone catch 113 this weekend? Feedback?

Was going to post this huge post I just typed out, but copied it and will save it for later this week so as not to post spoilers for anyone still trying to catch Vids of the fights.

Yeah i caught it enjoyed it for the most part daley was schooled all through the fight and reacted in an unaceptable way but god do i hate kos It goes to show a wrestler will always have the advantage over a striker. I thought shogun won last time so was glad he put it to bed this time. Also enjoyed seeing how Meathead has improved hated him in the house but enjoyed watching him on sunday.

Anyone catch 113 this weekend? Feedback?

Was going to post this huge post I just typed out, but copied it and will save it for later this week so as not to post spoilers for anyone still trying to catch Vids of the fights.

I watched it, enjoyed it and there's plenty to talk about.

********SPOILERS WARNING - IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN UFC 113 YET AND DON'T WANT RESULTS THEN DON'T READ BELOW*******

I though Belcher looked good in the opening fight and is improving all the time, calling out Anderson Silva at the end was a bit of a shock! I don't think he's quite ready to go there yet and Dana is expecting Silva to move up anyway but Belcher is definitely a threat to anyone.

I enjoyed the MM and Kimbo fight, MM impressed me with some good submissions and improve standup. His cardio was terrible and even Kimbo took him down at will so he's got a lot of improving to do but after just 2 fights he could be a decent gatekeeper perhaps in a few years time. Kimbo has been released already according to Dana after the fight so it looks like Dana has had his fun. Kimbo is a likeable guy and has improved but at 36 the UFC isn't the place to learn to be a mixed martial artist. Who knows, if Kimbo is really dedicated and wants to prove everyone wrong he can continue in MMA outside of the UFC for a payday and maybe if he improves he'll get back there on merit. Can't see it happening but you never know, a little surprised Dana cut him so soon as he was a big draw but if Dana and the UFC want to be taken seriously they have to stay away from the freak show fights as much as possible.

I haven't got around to seeing the Stout fight yet as I drifted off during the fight and woke up during the decision! Will try and watch it later since it won fight of the night!

Next up was Daley vs Koscheck which I was excited to see due to Daley being English. Now there were 2 major talking points due to this match. The first was 'The Phantom Knee' Koshceck was on the floor and Daley threw a knee at his head, now as soon as I saw it I literally thought, Dive!! He just went down so unconincingly! Then they showed countless replays where you could clearly see that the knee never hit him, at best his toe may have grazed him on his follow through.

Now Daley on one hand perhaps shouldn't have thrown the illegal knee, but then Koscheck was about to stand on his feet and perhaps Daley just mistimed it, then again considering the end of the fight maybe he did mean it, but more on that later. Now as a big football fan and someone who posted an extremely long thread on diving a few weeks back, I was really annoyed with Koscheck. He pretend to be out for what seemed like an eternity, perhaps more than 5 minutes? I'm not sure if it was to regain his energy or to ensure that Daley was deducted a point but it was certainly a strange scenario.

What really annoyed me is that he's claimed eye pokes etc in previous fights and it's not something I want to see in this sport. This is about who is the best fighter in the world not who is the best actor, please don't go down the route of feigning injury.

Then of course 10 seconds of so after the final buzzer Daley finally lands a big left hook to Koscheck's face, which the referee summed up best by grabbing him and screaming 'Are you kidding me'. Now the illegal punch was due to something Koscheck said which was not very complimentary, Koscheck admitted as much. Still I completely agree with Dana's decision to cut him from the UFC. MMA is still not viewed very positively by a lot of people, especially those with an influence on tv networks and athletic commissions, therefore they can't afford to have incidents like this setting them back and need to make an example. I don't really agree with the double standars though which seems to be, 'It's okay as long as you don't do it in a UFC cage.' We all saw the recent strikeforce brawl recently which involved currently signed Nate Diaz as well as Jake Shields who Dana is actively pursuing. Ah well same sh*t, different day.

I sometimes read the Joe Rogan forums and some English guy poorly explained how what Kosheck did was worse than what Daley did in terms of the future of the sport. Now he didn't explain it very well but I kind of agreed with him. What Daley did was wrong and he has rightfully been cut, but it doesn't make every fighter an animal. However if Koscheck continually gets away with feigning injury to his own advantage then others may adopt the same approach. The poster was a football fan like me, and his point was that you don't want MMA going the way of Football with all of the simulation and diving. It came across that he was trying to defend Daley, which he wasn't but it didn't help anyone take him seriously, but amazingly enough a lot of the American fans on the board who don't watch 'football' just said he was simply 'Playing the game', 'Using it to his advantage', 'Laying and Praying', and that it was a perfectly legit way of trying to win a fight. Their words hurt my eyes :(

Shogun vs Machida in the rematch was the reason why it was 5am or so and I was still awake. I couldn't wait to see this fight and am not ashamed to admit that I thought Machida would have learnt from the first fight and show just why he is the best light heavyweight in the world with an impressive performance. How wrong was I? Shogun didn't just to for the leg kicks again early on as some predicted, he just blew him away. Machida was almost considered unbeatable 6 months or so ago and hadn't even lost a round, Shogun battled him to a decision and then in the rematch he went into overdriver and knocked out the champ in the middle of the first round, he even had the class to stand off him before the referee stopped knowing he had litterally knocked him unconscious. This fight was not left in the hands of the judges, well unless you cound the judges of awesomeness.

The Machida era is over, let the Shogun Dynasty commence.

*************** SPOILERS OVER ********************************************

If you haven't seen it then go watch it :)

The "Machida era" was just Joe Rogan's hype. Other than his two KO wins against Silva and Evans, he's always been incredibly boring to watch. I think the UFC needed to elevate him, since the LHW belt seems to change hands every other fight.

Anyone who watched Shogun in Pride knows what he is capable of. I hope Anderson Silva steps up because whilst being a class above everyone in Middleweight, Machida, Rua, Evans, Jackson and Thiago Silva can match him in striking power.

I kinda hope GSP gets one shot before that happens though.

As far as 113 goes, I dislike Koscheck with passion but Daley is a goose and deserves to be cut. I wonder though if there will be a backlash from Team Rough house

I really only watch old Pride dvds, UFC and anything I get my hands on with Fedor, is there any UK competitions that are any good?

BAMMA 3 is on this weekend on bravo...

Alex reid was ment to be fighting tom kong watson but reid pulled out like a pussy last month... Watson is still fighting tho... Just google BAMMA.. Its a uk event btw..

Erm im a massive MMA fan but ive slacked on events due to not having the net or sky.... Im enjoying TUF tho... Yager is a prick but good fighter.. Very good fighter...

Why dusnt chuck seem to be there when they fight?

Contractual Obligations he usually says. My guess is a guy like Liddell makes a pretty penny for appearance fees at night clubs or gyms or something, and probably had them all lined up since before he was slated to be a coach.

maybe... We missed a week on our screens 4 sum reason last week

Contractual Obligations he usually says. My guess is a guy like Liddell makes a pretty penny for appearance fees at night clubs or gyms or something, and probably had them all lined up since before he was slated to be a coach.

I think that's what he said on one of the episodes, that he had stuff set up before he agreed to be a coach.

Does make me wonder why they let him be a coach though when they knew he couldn't make half of the fights and the fights are pretty much a big deal!

I guess Chuck = Ratings!

I'm about to watch the latest episode now.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever played www.mmarmy.com ? It's quite an addictive online game where you build your own fight camp and then train fighters to move up through the ranks by fighting other users from across the world. Seems to take a while to get up to speed but it's not a bad way to kill some time on the Internet.

On another note, cannot wait for Rampage vs Rashad tomorrow, hope Rampage destroys him, Rashad got on my nerves back on the TUF show with his arrogance, Ramps needs to knock him down a peg or two!

Anyone ever played www.mmarmy.com ? It's quite an addictive online game where you build your own fight camp and then train fighters to move up through the ranks by fighting other users from across the world. Seems to take a while to get up to speed but it's not a bad way to kill some time on the Internet.

On another note, cannot wait for Rampage vs Rashad tomorrow, hope Rampage destroys him, Rashad got on my nerves back on the TUF show with his arrogance, Ramps needs to knock him down a peg or two!

*SPOILER ALERT*

What a dissapointment that was, after all of Rashad's talk of knocking him out and beating him down letting him get up so he can beat him some more it turned into a pretty regulation fight.

I was expecting toe to toe standup and a first round knockout but instead we get an MMA clinic from Rashad and barring 30 seconds in teh 3rd round we didn't get to see Rampage open up at all.

Essentially Rashad used this as a chance for another titole shot and not the match he so vocally open his mouthed about for 18 months.

Bisping V Miller match was OK but should never have a been a co-main.

The most important moments were the decision against Brilz when it was clear he won the fight and the Russow punch which should have never been.

All the hype on Duffee is bullshit after watching that.

SUCH a disappointment. That was the last straw for me personally. I won;t be buying another PPV anytime soon. I can DL the whole event hours later for free and just stay off some websites for a day to still be surprised.

Rashad dominated in the best way he could. Unfortunately it was terrible to watch. Brillz was robbed in what was deservedly the FOTN and the Duffe v Russow was just as entertaining: a fat guy getting beat up for 12 minutes then a sick one punch KO.

Uninspiring again, not worth all that money all the time.

Was having the discussion with a mate, I would rather pay double and have quarterly supercards then pay and watch what should be on SPIKE or Versus.

Without the main card there was nothing on that fight schedule that floated my boat. It was like watching a non arrogant Anderson Silva match, no one would go for a knockout, they all played it way too safe.

I wouldn't like to be in the octogon but unless you go for broke at some stage you aren't going to win over the fans and it will turn into boxing.

Archived