BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Villa Preview

Aston Villa. A team which Rovers have become all too familiar with this season, and one I am sure nobody will miss when this season is over. I remember after beating them 2-1 at Ewood, some posters exclaimed that Big Sam ‘knew how to nullify’ Villa, and we were accustomed to their counter attacking ways. How wrong were we? We got them in the Carling Cup semi. Fair enough. Then we drew them in the FA Cup. 10 goals conceded later, I think everyone just wants Villa to fu... er go away. The fact they wear Claret and Blue just adds to how tired I am of this bunch.

This doesn’t tell the full story. 2500 Rovers fans braved the winter cold to make the journey to Birmingham for the Semi Final second leg. Nobody gave us a chance. 1-0 down, in poor form, fans on the manager’s back. Kalinic then seemed to have a realisation that hitting a post does not constitute a goal, and scored two quickfire goals to give us an unlikely lead. Pandemonium in the away end, as 2500 bodies clashed into each other, as shirts (including mine) were whizzed in the air. “Are you Burnley in disguise?” asked the now confident travelling faithful. Well, I effin’ wish they were! Five goals and a red card later, Rovers were getting trounced. The fans continued to sing heartily, but it was looking embarrassing. One scabby goal later, followed by a truly sublime goal by Martin Ollsson, made it a bit more interesting. Villa scored again, but it went down as one of those ‘classic’ days out. A night to tell the grandkids about – ‘I was there’. I remember sheepishly putting my top back on as Stephen Warnock slammed home Villa’s goal back. But what I remember more is the barrage of noise from the away end throughout the game, and the hope that maybe we could do it as we went 2-0 up.

The FA Cup wasn’t a classic, as Rovers went down 3-1. Rigters even came on as a substitute, however certainly wasn’t given enough time to prove his ‘class’. The more knowledgeable fans will tell you that if Marceo had started, Rovers would have won. If he’s not good enough for Southend, he’s good enough for us. Why he played is beyond me. He was a distant memory, one of those players who you don’t know what the hell happened to them. That day I realised he was still a Rover. Not good. Diouf was also sent off that game for an old school tackle, to put it politely. Not content with almost snapping the Villa player, he made a desperate attempt to take the corner flag with it. Diooouuuuuuf!

I won’t bore you with stats, but our visits to Villa Park have brought a topsy turvy set of results. Pessimists will point to this year’s shambles and 3-0 battering in 02/03 as reasons we will lose, whilst optimists will point out that we won 2-0 there in 2003/2004, a win which effectively kept us up, and battered them 4-1 in 2003, including a brace from Matt Jansen on his return from injury. Unfortunately, this proved to be one of a few false dawns, although I hazard a guess that no Rovers fan will forget the figure of a defiant Matt, pointing his finger at the travelling fans in joy.

A few players have represented both teams. Two who will probably line up against Rovers are Brad Friedel and Stephen Warnock. Two honest professionals who served Rovers well, they should probably be a reason not to be annoyed by Villa as a football club. Brad gave us eight years of fantastic service, whilst Stephen Warnock gave 110% every week (bar the Ince days) and enjoyed a great rapport with the fans. There’s loads of examples, another famous one being Dwight Yorke. His celebration as we won 4-1 at Villa Park was priceless, smiling at an already disgruntled Holte End, resulting in a barrage of abuse. Plenty more players have played for both, which I am sure older posters will know far more about.

Bring it on. Lets hope Rovers fans make the same noise we did in the Carling Cup, and lets hope with a party atmosphere from the Rovers faithful, we can cost Villa a place in the Champions League or whatever they are seeking come the final day. For once, lets upset the apple cart and get a win. Lets go into summer with a good win under our belt, and lots of optimism.

Sorry if this isn't the quality people are used to, I tried my best! Tried uploading pics but it was a mess, wouldn't work, if anyone could help?

Prediction you say? Aston Villa 1-3 Rovers. I feel it!

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was brilliant mate, good work!

I went to two of the games you mentioned, the 4-1 fa cup win and the 6-4 defeat in the semi this season.

It would be nice to doo them, we owe them too.

Are the inflatables comming out again as it's the last away or even the last game of the season?

I've seen Villa more than most Villa fans this season. Freezing my conkers off at the FA Cup game was one of the most miserable afternoons I've ever spent watching Rovers. If it hadn't been raining I'd have left at half time. When the rain stopped, we scored and I stayed til the end.

By comparison, the League Cup game was fantastic. The DVD's on sale in the Villa club shop and, to be honest, I've been tempted, despite losing.

I suspect the game will be more like the FA Cup game with nicer weather.

3-1 Villa and lots of watching Phil Jones's body language closely for any signs of "ta-ra I'm offski"

I don't quite know what top make of the revelation that David Cameron is a Villa fan. Sounds like typical spin to me, picking a team that's not in London and has plenty of fans but s not an obvious choice such as Liverpool, or United. Or maybe he sneaked out from Eton to stand on the Holte End?

Update. I decided to Google him and found this on the Villa website: -

Conservative leader David Cameron flew the flag for Aston Villa during a live television debate.

The 42-year-old politician had been taking part in a discussion when he was asked who he thought would win the Champions League final between Manchester United and Chelsea.

The Tory leader said it was of little consequence to him because as far as he was concerned there was only one team - the Villa.

Cameron told GMTV presenter Ben Shepherd: "The first game I ever went to was an Aston Villa game and so I am an Aston Villa fan. We have had a pretty good season ourselves.

"I don't really mind who wins the Champions League."

Cameron is the nephew of former Villa chairman Sir William Dugdale who took him to his first ever game as a 13-year-old.

Could be an emotional day for villa fans. Looks like Martin O`Neil might be off in the summer, as well as James Milner. This season could`ve been Villa`s one & only realistic crack at getting into the top of the league BIG BOYS club.

I`m predicting a return to mid-table mediocrity (sp? :unsure: ) for villa next season.

Aston Villa's season comes grinding to a halt, with the CL well and truly out of sight and question marks over Martin O'Neil's future. Rovers still have the prospect of a top 10 finish and the momentum after bulldozing Arsenal. Nevertheless, the home side will want to give their fan's a good send off and Rovers' away form is all kinds of ass. After yesterday's result, I'd dare to dream a victory, but I would be satisfied with a draw.

3-1 Villa and lots of watching Phil Jones's body language closely for any signs of "ta-ra I'm offski"

Jesus man, he ain't that good. He's only had a couple of half decent games....get a grip....if some stupid club made a very good offer, in excess of £10m....I'd snap their hands off.

This is a tough one to call - I hope they dont beat us (AGAIN) and after the Arsenal game im feeling a little more confident - especially with them having nothin to play for :)

However they will want a good send off at Villa park so Im going with a 3-1 win to Villa.

Roberts for us and Milner + Gabby x 2 for them.

PS Where is Kalinic???

I think Rovers could get something from this game and I dont mean a defeat.

Villa are going nowhere fast and the players will be in World Cup mode with it only being a matter of 6 weeks away so they wont want to get themselves injured in an end of season mean nothing clash.

Villa may well have switched off with nothing to play for.

Rovers have a small matter of another £750k to go for (maybe more if tonights result at Fulham goes their way).

1-0 Rovers.

Evening all, I hope you are well.

With the game approaching I thought I'd pop back on and chew the fat I've not read the preview yet but will do shortly.

Not really much riding on this game for either side although if we win we would finish above Livepool and pushing them further down the table is always nice.

As for you boys, all in all a good season I think, Sam is doing a good job or at least that is an interested outsiders point of view. I know he isn't everyones cup of tea but he was a very good appointment.

As for predictions for the game I hope we can come out on top but we look a little jaded and our home form hasn't been the best this season and its hard to know how up for it the players will be. I know you aren't great away but I'm going to go for a score draw, 1-1.

I don't see this being another high scoring classic but without wanting to sound too negative about our away form but we have been pretty poor at times. I would be happy if we came away from Villa Park with a point and even happier if we secured a top 10 finish.

I'm predicting a hopeful 1-1 draw.

FAO TrentVilla: What's the general view on the terraces on ex-Rovers players Friedel and Warnock?

FAO TrentVilla: What's the general view on the terraces on ex-Rovers players Friedel and Warnock?

Friedel - Despite having legs lik my 90 year old gran Big Brad has simply been excellent for us this season and is the best keeper we've had since the early 90's and Mark Bosnich. I can't of the top of my head really think of a mistake he has made which is impressive, he had a good season last year but made a few costly errors this season he has been very solid.

You would think he would be showing signs of his level of performance dipping at his age but not a chance and I have no fear of going into next season with him as number 1.

Warnock - Personally, I'm a huge fan of his always was when he was in your colours and have been since has been in ours. Up until February Warnock was excellent and his individual performances and those of the defence he was a part of were superb, he was a very large factor in us having the best defence in the league until the end of January.

Then he got injured, was rushed back and simply hasn't been the same since. The over lapping, gut busting runs that were a trade mark of the first half of his season are gone and he isn't quite going into tackles in the same way, he just doesn't look quite right and as a result mistakes have entered his game.

For some the jury is out on him, personally I still rate him very highly and think given a rest over the summer he will be a very good player for us next season. He is very much though my kind of full back.

I see this as a draw at minimum. We'll probably go out there looking for revenge against Villa, and I can see us finishing on a high for once this season. Not to mention that Villa essentially don't have much more to play for now, while we stand the possibility of losing a mil or two in prize money if we lose.

just 1 point would be great to nick back 10th spot again, stoke unlikely to win at OT and only other team on our pack likely to win is sunderland of which they have better goal difference so would push us down to 12th if they were to win and us lose

No reason why we can't win this one. Yet we do have a woeful approach to last games of the season. A lot's hanging on this one money-wise so I'd put it in the camp of 'must win'. So I'm super confident in predicting a 1 - 0 score to Villa. I'll get my coat.

I remember that game all to well OzzieJones :( lol.

I hope we can sneek a draw and if we get the first goal theres no reason why we cant - Sunderland & wolves have :)

+ birmingham were very unlucky - Lets just hope warnock, Cuellar(Does he get a game for spain?), Milner, Downing (Shouldnt be IMO), Young(Should be 100%), Agbonlahor(Outside chance) & Heskey(Should not be anywhere nr SA)are all thinking of the world cup and last thing they need is a 50/50 with Samba, Givet or Grella :)

So cum on rovers - Lets get that point that should secure us 10th place + an additional £750,000 :)

PS - Any1 know where Niko Kalinic is lol?

My team would be:

Robbo

Salgado Samba Nelson Givet

Nzonzi Andrews

Pederson Dunn Olsson

Roberts

Subs: Brown, Jones, Jacobson, Hoilett, Emerton, Grella, Kalinic

*Providing diouf is still out and it looks like FDS is off back to chelsea, Basturk not gunna get a chance, Linganzi - Get a pre season under his belt and develop next season.

Archived