BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] An Ageing Squad

I was thinking about our squad on the way back home after our excellent victory against Arsenal, and was more than a bit concerned about the number of players who are either less than twelve months from hitting thirty, or are already there. Discounting Robbo as goalkeepers tend to have a bit more longevity about them, but this is the list of the top of my head (feel free to correct)

30+

Grella

Dunn

Jacobsen

Nelesen

Bert

Roberts

Chimbonda

Salgado

Basturk

Players who hit 30 in next twelve months

Andrews

Reid

Diouf

Appreciate that some of these players may leave the club over the next couple of months and that we have some exciting prospects in N'Zonzi, Olsson, Jones and Kalinic, but is anyone else of the opinion that our squad is a little on the old side, or are you happy with an 'experienced' team? After yesterday's second half performance, I'd say I'm happy, but football is a young man's game.

Thoughts/ Opinions.

Cheers

I was thinking about our squad on the way back home after our excellent victory against Arsenal, and was more than a bit concerned about the number of players who are either less than twelve months from hitting thirty, or are already there. Discounting Robbo as goalkeepers tend to have a bit more longevity about them, but this is the list of the top of my head (feel free to correct)

30+

Grella

Dunn

Jacobsen

Nelesen

Bert

Roberts

Chimbonda

Salgado

Basturk

Andrews

Reid

Diouf

Appreciate that some of these players may leave the club over the next couple of months and that we have some exciting prospects in N'Zonzi, Olsson, Jones and Kalinic, but is anyone else of the opinion that our squad is a little on the old side, or are you happy with an 'experienced' team? After yesterday's second half performance, I'd say I'm happy, but football is a young man's game.

Thoughts/ Opinions.

Cheers

The only players over 30 who will look to be starters next year will be Salgado and Dunn. As it stands most likely starting team is (I know it will change as we make signings, particularly up front):-

------------------Kalinic

Olsson----------Dunn--------Hoilett/Pedersen

--------NZonzi-------Andrews

Givet----Samba------Jones----Salgado

----------------Robinson

Which in the context of the Premiership is actually quite a young team. It also seems likely, based on current links, that our new striker target will be a young un as well, plus Linganzi will be expected to break through.

So if anything, imo, we need to move the dead wood on and add a bit of quality and experience in a play maker in the centre of the park to compliment the youth and pace. I would be happy to see an old head sign on in the same way we picked up Tugay at 31 I think.

30+

Grella

Dunn

Jacobsen

Nelesen

Bert

Roberts

Chimbonda

Salgado

Basturk

Andrews

Reid

Diouf

Thoughts/ Opinions.

Cheers

Sams already indicated that certain players are likely to be off... hinting Chimb and Jacobson, Roberts is considering a move, Reid is out of contract.

Overall I think there is a good balance especially given the players we are looking at and have already and in general we have a very long list of very young players coming through...

Jones

Nzonzi

Kalinic

Olsson

Linzaghi

Hoilett

Hanley

The second oldest player in our squad is 32. Perhaps in two years time this would be more of an issue but most of the guys you list are 30 or 31, Salgado being the exception (and just look how great he's been doing).

Considering last season we also had Benni, Tugay & Ooijer (the last 2 being very old), I'd say we are moving in the right direction.

Can't remember the last time we had the likes of Olsson, Hoilett & Jones breaking through.

Considering last season we also had Benni, Tugay & Ooijer (the last 2 being very old), I'd say we are moving in the right direction.

Can't remember the last time we had the likes of Olsson, Hoilett & Jones breaking through.

Dunn, Duff and Jansen?

Jansen didn't come through the ranks, he played for Carlisle and Palace before signing for us when he was about 22.

I know that but that was the last time I can remember having 3 young talents in the first team at the same time. Jansen when he came to us was still very raw and was known as a scorer of great goals rather than a great goalscorer. Unfortunately he wasn't around long enough for us to know what he might have been capable of but he grew in stature in the time he was here.

Centre-backs often play their best football after 30 too eg my all-time fave Kevin Moran. I thought that Nelsen was as good as ever yesterday.

He was MOTM last week too, can't believe people think he'll not be a regular next season, I can only see injuries keeping him out. He got stuck in yesterday, he was almost caught out early on but Robinson should have been more alert imo, loved the hand signals he did to Robinson to come out and collect the ball. I heard he rugby tackled an Arsenal player yesterday, can't wait to watch the game again on ESPN to see, we need a tough one like him and he's been a threat from set-pieces too.

Centre-backs often play their best football after 30 too eg my all-time fave Kevin Moran. I thought that Nelsen was as good as ever yesterday.

Not when on five minutes Nelsen allowed the ball to carelessly roll under his foot, Arsenal then SHOULD HAVE scored but didnt thankfully.

Not when on five minutes Nelsen allowed the ball to carelessly roll under his foot, Arsenal then SHOULD HAVE scored but didnt thankfully.

I've watched that again and Robbo should have definitely been more alert, he hesitated. He did it twice, Nelsen had to use hand signals on another occasion to make Robbo come out of his goal to collect the ball. Also who was marking Van Persie for their goal? It wasn't Nelsen, he was marking Diaby, it was Givet, he did that last week against Wolves too don't forget.

I've watched that again and Robbo should have definitely been more alert, he hesitated. He did it twice, Nelsen had to use hand signals on another occasion to make Robbo come out of his goal to collect the ball. Also who was marking Van Persie for their goal? It wasn't Nelsen, he was marking Diaby, it was Givet, he did that last week against Wolves too don't forget.

If there is a better goalie available than Robbo then Rovers should bring him in but regarding that incident you wouldnt expect your captain to be making that kind of simple mistake in that type of situation.

Nelsen wasnt under any pressure he just took his eye off the ball.

I did the math the other week (can't remember which thread it's posted under) but the average age of the Rovers first team (as per wikipedia) is 25.8 years. This average omits Maceo Rigters and Grant Hanley who would have lowered the age further but, despite being placed in the first team category, I omitted them as I have not seen them suit up for the first team (maybe Rigters once or twice but that was forgettable).

I think that is a very respectable average age. If the club continue that trend, with oour current youth being blooded and then bringing in some new youth, we should have a very solid squad for the next decade.

If there is a better goalie available than Robbo then Rovers should bring him in but regarding that incident you wouldnt expect your captain to be making that kind of simple mistake in that type of situation.

Nelsen wasnt under any pressure he just took his eye off the ball.

It didn't result in a goal so what does it matter? It did look like it was going out or Robinson had time to collect, who was marking Walcott on that occasion? It was Givet who didn't track his run.

This sounds like unfair criticism on Givet, who I thought did well yesterday but everyone seems to blame Nelsen and it's not always the case.

I really dont think the age of out squad is an issue at the moment.

Look at Chelsea, they are more than likely going to win the double this season, and the squad they have is a lot older than ours.

If you look at their starting 11, the youngest player by a long way is kalou at 25. Pretty much the rest of their starting 11 is over 30 (except Cech and Terry).

If you looked at our best 11, you would include the likes of Olsson, Kalinic, N'Zonzi, Jones and maybe even Hoilett

Archived