BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Forget Shearer, Forget Garner, Forget Tugay

Who remembers Tony Field? My hero in the 70's (with Faz)

Rovers answer to George Best!

Whatever happened to him. Any memories?

As I think I've posted elsewhere on this site I saw Tony play live for 4 different clubs. I first saw him at Southport, who I used to watch regularly as a teenager, living near there and them playing homes games on a Friday night at the time. Then Rovers bought him and I saw him plenty of times at Ewood. Then he moved what was them up to Sheffield United and was there when I was at university in Sheffield. Then later in the 70s he moved to New York Cosmos and I saw him at one home game there at Giants Stadium.

This is what a 2008 article on the Memphis Rogues (Fields' last team) had to say about Tony Field:

Fieldy. The former Cosmos player. The first star the Rogues could call their own. He scored three goals in the Rogues’ final game against Houston, including one that he “nosed” over for the final foot. He had the game winner against his former team, the Cosmos. He was the first one to toast someone with a post-game drink and he was also the first one back to the practice field the next day. Gave stewardesses hell on road trips. Provided direction and support for teammates.

http://www.memphisflyer.com/backissues/issue491/cvr491.htm

Sounds like a fun, square guy.

And he apparently stayed in Memphis, Tenn., after he gave up football (though as of 2008, at 62 years of age, he still expresses a willingness to play).

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/jul/06/one-hit-wonders/

And this is a dim memory, but I think I recall on one of the USA football (the American s word) blogs that he was doing football clinics at one point. No idea what he's doing now.

Who remembers Tony Field? My hero in the 70's (with Faz)

Rovers answer to George Best!

Whatever happened to him. Any memories?

Before I read the first post, I was wondering who I would name as my hero from that era and immediately, Tony Field sprang to mind. I started watching Rovers in 1966 so you could say why not Clayton or Douglas? In their day, of course, they were far 'more qualified' than Tony, if I can put it that way but they were each coming to the end of their illustrious careers by the end of the 60s. Their era really was mid/late 50s to mid 60s.

As a young teenager in the early 70s, caught up in the excitement of away matches and going to games with my mates, rather than my uncle, I thought Tony Field was just superb. He could dribble with the best, he went on some mazy runs and I can't remember him ever missing a penalty. He never blasted them, he always sent the keeper the wrong way. How on earth was he languishing in the 4th Division with Southport? I was devastated when Mr Furphy came knocking and took Tony (on what would have appeared a dream move) to top flight Sheffield United. I can't remember how long Tony was at Ewood - two seasons? - but it was not long enough. A fantastic player. :brfc:

As a young teenager in the early 70s, caught up in the excitement of away matches and going to games with my mates, rather than my uncle, I thought Tony Field was just superb. He could dribble with the best, he went on some mazy runs and I can't remember him ever missing a penalty. He never blasted them, he always sent the keeper the wrong way. How on earth was he languishing in the 4th Division with Southport? I was devastated when Mr Furphy came knocking and took Tony (on what would have appeared a dream move) to top flight Sheffield United. I can't remember how long Tony was at Ewood - two seasons? - but it was not long enough. A fantastic player. :brfc:

Indeed. Him and MacNamee were the highlights of our first spell in the 3rd. I think he scored a BBC goal of the season, or at least one of the contenders, while at Sheffield - a trademark beat 5 players dribble.

Without wishing to tarnish his memory, did he not miss a crucial penalty away at Scunthorpe in Furphy's 2nd season, next to last game when we could still have gone up?

Without wishing to tarnish his memory, did he not miss a crucial penalty away at Scunthorpe in Furphy's 2nd season, next to last game when we could still have gone up?

I'll pass on that one - don't remember. :lol:

I wasn't at that game - one of the few away grounds I never visited.

Anyone who saw his goal versus Watford at home in a 5-1 thrashing(?)...one of the finest at Ewood.

Dribbled past at least 6 and slotted it in near the line(between Bburn End and Riverside). Lay injured.

Got up and standing ovation from the loyal 9,000.

At that time we were just hanging in there as Supporters and solvent club.

Anyone who saw his goal versus Watford at home in a 5-1 thrashing(?)...one of the finest at Ewood.

Dribbled past at least 6 and slotted it in near the line(between Bburn End and Riverside). Lay injured.

Got up and standing ovation from the loyal 9,000.

At that time we were just hanging in there as Supporters and solvent club.

For those who weren't there, it was very similar to the George Best goal against Sheff Utd (I think) that was shown on the BBC Grandstand or Match of the Day opening credits for years.

I remember scoring a goal against Accrington Grammar School for my school, Stand GS in Whitefield, I lifted my shirt to show a Rovers shirt underneath, a defender commented "who do you think you are, Tony Field?" I could have died happy in that moment.

The said goal--George Best's,not mine. It is United not Wednesday

That was one of the most disappointing results of the era. A very large contingent of Rovers fans went to Scunny in anticipation of a win that would have put us in with a great chance of going up.Rovers were in good form going in to the match and optimism was high. Field's crucial penalty miss spawned seemingly endless renditions of "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree" on a dreadful coach journey home where defeat wasn't blamed on the "sunshine, moonlight or the good-times" but was ceaselessly chanted "put the blame on Field". It wasn't meant of course as Tony Field was "The Hero" of most Rovers fans of the time and could do no wrong. He was forgiven the costly miss almost instantaneously.

Archived