BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cricket World Cup

Strange I can't find a thread on this, maybe I've not looked hard enough.....

England win the 20/20 world cup - great achievement and well deserved.

Absolutely, as stated in a number of previous posts, the whole thing is a bit of a bore. Test cricket is slowly dying and it is because of this senseless game of slog. If it wasn't for the tight fisted boards (barring Australia and England) we wouldn't be watching this tripe.

I am sure even you and I can agree that this is just not cricket.

Strange I can't find a thread on this, maybe I've not looked hard enough.....

England win the 20/20 world cup - great achievement and well deserved.

Can't find a thread on this because no one cared about it until England won. Now all of the sudden it is a great accomplishment and a great tournament.

It was a great win and it's always nice to win a World Cup, I watched all of the England games and a lot of the other games, it really is remarkable how far we've come in this form of the game in such a short time. We deserved to get to the final and won pretty comfortable so fairplay to the lads.

I completely agree with neekoy though that it's just not cricket.

I enjoy 20/20 and it can certainly be exciting to watch but to me it is almost a completely different game to Test Cricket, almost as different as football is to rugby.

As I said before, I did enjoy it and some of the games were exciting but for me 20/20 or any form of one day cricket will never match the thrill and excitement of a tightly contested test match series. I just love the ongoing strategic and tactical battle which takes place over 5 days of a test match with so many different ingredients from a flamboyant century to that gritty 4 hour 50 and that 30 over effort by the spinner on the final day to lead his team to victory, to name just a few little scenarios that might happen. I just feel any achievement in test cricket feels that little bit more special and the more twenty20 games that are put before us it almost just gets to the stage of Bowl, Slog, Repeat and I find it harder to become emotionally attached to that form of the game.

I think twenty20 has definitely been a good thing because it's increased the popularity of cricket gaining more viewers and no doubt brought a lot more money into the game. It's also changed the way people think about the game and their shot selections, not just in twenty20 cricket but it's also crossed into test cricket. I think it's good how the game has evolved and some of the shots and techniques make their way into test cricket. The game is adapting and some players now have a lot more confidence in their ability, the margin between a good ball and a bad ball is certainly a lot thinner these days which forces people to improve. I don't feel that test cricket is dying, I think that with twenty20 attracting more viewers that a lot of them over time will appreciate the game more and then be drawn into test cricket, both forms of the game have a place in cricket, both now and in the future.

The Ashes for me will still always feel like the biggest event in the world cricket calendar, winning the twenty20 is very nice but I feel the same way I would as if the England football team had won a little friendly tournament or the Confederations Cup perhaps.

Can't find a thread on this because no one cared about it until England won. Now all of the sudden it is a great accomplishment and a great tournament.

Bit unfair there - this thread is hardly a bandwagon of people celebrating and very few would call it a "great tournament" (in fact has anybody?)

I think most, if not all, would trade this for retaining the Ashes in Australia later on.

I bloody well hope it's not. Great win for England but 20/20 is slowly killing cricket.

No it isn't. 20/20 has captured the cricket public's imagination all over the world and is proving immensely popular and will replace the former 50-over one-day internationals which were declining in popularity. Some people argue that 20/20 is "killing Test cricket" but there were packed grounds for the Ashes series last summer and the Test cricket in England, Australia and the sub-continent is well supported. Attendances for Test cricket in South Africa are disappointingly poor but the real worry is the West Indies where the game has declined in popularity owing to the influence of American sports via television. Fantastic win for England against the old enemy and long overdue after 4 failures in previous limited over World Cup finals.

No it isn't. 20/20 has captured the cricket public's imagination all over the world and is proving immensely popular and will replace the former 50-over one-day internationals which were declining in popularity. Some people argue that 20/20 is "killing Test cricket" but there were packed grounds for the Ashes series last summer and the Test cricket in England, Australia and the sub-continent is well supported. Attendances for Test cricket in South Africa are disappointingly poor but the real worry is the West Indies where the game has declined in popularity owing to the influence of American sports via television. Fantastic win for England against the old enemy and long overdue after 4 failures in previous limited over World Cup finals.

20/20 cricket has none of the subtleties that cricket is so good for though. I liked, and still like 50 over cricket as it incorporates the best bits of limited over cricket in the opening and final overs. However those middle overs which everyone complained about I feel are essential as they provide 25-30 overs of "traditional" cricket where keeping the singles down and taking wickets play a big role. The fact there's these different stages still keeps it fascinating along with seeing when a side starts to change gear and start hitting the ball. 20/20 is a slogfest from start to finish and doesn't have anywhere near as much tactical depth as 50 over cricket, where there is still some place to leave the good balls, put a couple of slips in and still retain some of the more traditional aspects of the game.

Winning a game over 50 overs is also more of an achievement than winning it over 20 overs. Very happy England won but the Confederations Cup analogy someone gave earlier is about right.

You are wrong re Test cricket being well supported around the Test playing nations.

The only time it is well supported is when Australia and England play each other.

20/20 cricket has none of the subtleties that cricket is so good for though. I liked, and still like 50 over cricket as it incorporates the best bits of limited over cricket in the opening and final overs. However those middle overs which everyone complained about I feel are essential as they provide 25-30 overs of "traditional" cricket where keeping the singles down and taking wickets play a big role. The fact there's these different stages still keeps it fascinating along with seeing when a side starts to change gear and start hitting the ball. 20/20 is a slogfest from start to finish and doesn't have anywhere near as much tactical depth as 50 over cricket, where there is still some place to leave the good balls, put a couple of slips in and still retain some of the more traditional aspects of the game.

All those things are true but the fact is the public have lost interest in the 50-over format and have fully embraced 20-20 cricket. I've been to a few 20-20 matches and they are wonderful entertainment on a warm summer's evening with people coming in after a day at work and grounds full of families enjoying the crash-bang nature of the contest. Girls love it too ! Some people say it's not proper cricket and will lead to the erosion of traditional cricket skills but I do not think that is the case. The best players will adapt to any format.

what Jim said, T20's great because it means you can watch whole games after school or work.

T20 awards bravery and cleverness. Brave and clever batting and bowling as well as athleticism in the field.

If you are lacking in any you'll get stuffed.

England won, not because of the players who qualified with English (irish or Scottish) parents but because our bowling attack was vastly superior, it was clever, varied and adaptable, no other team was. Morgan should be given plaudits as well as he allowed the top three to play with the freedom they did, knowing he would bail them out if they failed.

Also Kudos to Flower & Collingwood for producing a fearless tightly knitted team.

In regards to Aus, if they'd have won, the gloating would be deafening. Their batting looks good if you get rid of Clarke and Haddin. Hussey, White & Hussey are a fantastic middle order, who's heroics against Pakistan and England got them to the final and saved them from utter humiliation. Your bowling is samey and you needed at least one more good spinner in there, and also to forget about ever using Watson as anything other than a fifty over fifth bowler ever again. If he's the saviour of Australian cricket, you're screwed.

Sets up a fascinating summer and winter though

Archived