BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackpool - Renewed Rivalry

Anyone remember the game at Blackpool, maybe early seventies when there was an almighty fracas. I think we had a fan nicknamed Kipper who thought it would be a good idea to throw liquid amonia at the Blackpool fans!! He took it into the ground under his Rovers Top Hat.Both sets of fans were on the kop at the time.Whooooa

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone remember the game at Blackpool, maybe early seventies when there was an almighty fracas. I think we had a fan nicknamed Kipper who thought it would be a good idea to throw liquid amonia at the Blackpool fans!! He took it into the ground under his Rovers Top Hat.Both sets of fans were on the kop at the time.Whooooa

Didn't Rovers fans get banned from travelling away after that match?

The only memories I have of Bloomfield Rd are in the Manx Cup in the late '80's. I'm looking forward to going back in the new season though! I'll have a weekend in Blackpool whether I get a ticket or not!

The one I remember was when Slogger from Accy threw acid in the face of a Millwall fan in retribution for a dockers hook in the side of his face.

Happy days. ;)

I remember bottles being thrown over from our side of the divide on the kop. Most of them full but not with amonia though, a bloke next to me snatched a wine bottle from a kid that was just about to launch it over.

Must have been the same game because it wasn't usually like that at Blackpool.

The Amonia incident must have been around 1966 - 1967 ? I seem to remember it was a night match, I saw something being thrown at the Blackpool fans, but didn't find out what it was until the next days' papers.

I also remember the Millwall game about the same time, first match of the season, it poured down that morning, walking around London wet through.

The worst one I can recall was away at West Ham, 3rd. ? round cup tie, complete free for all after the game ended up in a bus station garage. Then the "special" train back was stopped at Crew when the guard called for assistance and the Police arrived with dogs, in our carriadge there was only one compartment with lights and seating intact.

Happy days !

Danny Keg is right I think.

7th Oct.1968 It was a night match,I was on the Kop.

The illuminations were on, Adam Blacklaw was in goal. Rovers won 1-0 (Malcolm Darling scored)and Hey Jude was out by the Beatles.

I was only 14. We got on late because of the traffic and I remember seeing some lads scurrying round the back of the Kop, one in a Blue & White top hat.

Like Danny Keg, I only found out from the papers the day after.

Bear in mind this was industrial ammonia, so I assume it was pretty nasty stuff to be chucking about.

I've a feeling custodial sentences were handed out if my memory serves me right.

Maybe you lose perspective being brought up in london, but I had it drummed into me (and me dad had it drummed into him by his dad) that it should be Blackbrun first, Lancashire second, England third.

My grandad would have supported Burnley if they were playing someone from London (though, to be fair, would have hated them with a passion when they played us) - so I have no problems with Blackpool and wish them luck.

Ideally I would like to see a premier league containing Blackburn, Stanley, Bolton, Wigan, Blackpool, Preston, All the Scousers and Mancs etc. - we stick to the old fashioned county borders (none of this 'Greater manchester' gonads)and possibly even Burnley, if they stick to the bottom - its been fun beating them this season!

Maybe you lose perspective being brought up in london, but I had it drummed into me (and me dad had it drummed into him by his dad) that it should be Blackbrun first, Lancashire second, England third.

My grandad would have supported Burnley if they were playing someone from London (though, to be fair, would have hated them with a passion when they played us) - so I have no problems with Blackpool and wish them luck.

Ideally I would like to see a premier league containing Blackburn, Stanley, Bolton, Wigan, Blackpool, Preston, All the Scousers and Mancs etc. - we stick to the old fashioned county borders (none of this 'Greater manchester' gonads)and possibly even Burnley, if they stick to the bottom - its been fun beating them this season!

Well I don't, this is the most congested area for football clubs in England, your dream sounds lovely but it isn't the 1950s, we have to fight tooth and nail for supporters and adding more local clubs in to the mix hinders our efforts.

I would love it if Blackpool, Wigan and Bolton all went down. We should aim to be the dominant and ONLY Lancashire town club in the Prem.

Lancashire for cricket, Blackburn Rovers for football.

Well I don't, this is the most congested area for football clubs in England, your dream sounds lovely but it isn't the 1950s, we have to fight tooth and nail for supporters and adding more local clubs in to the mix hinders our efforts.

I would love it if Blackpool, Wigan and Bolton all went down. We should aim to be the dominant and ONLY Lancashire town club in the Prem.

Lancashire for cricket, Blackburn Rovers for football.

Partly agree but life would be dull with no derby games and our average attendance would suffer.

I'm also looking forward to the novelty of walking to an away game!

Be interesting to see how many they get for home games next season.

I don't see them as a threat to us on or off the pitch, even though we now appear to be under the financial control of the late Bill Fox :D

Partly agree but life would be dull with no derby games and our average attendance would suffer.

I'm also looking forward to the novelty of walking to an away game!

Be interesting to see how many they get for home games next season.

I don't see them as a threat to us on or off the pitch, even though we now appear to be under the financial control of the late Bill Fox :D

Gotta agree that life would be boring without local derbies - look at the interest that the two Burnley games generated. Only problem we can't really win these matches - if we beat them it is expected, if we lose we won't hear the last of it for years to come (even if they end up relegated).

Like you, I look forward to what is effectively a home match - I just hope there is enough room for all the away fans (I have a feeling a lot of Rovers fans will end up disappointed). Personally I think we could easily take 6k for this match - but I doubt that many tickets will be available. I am sure they will also bring plenty of fans to Ewood - though segregation will be a big problem - as lots of Blackpool fans occasionally attend Rovers for Premiership footie, so will be on the Database.

Interestingly our cheapest ST's are still around 1/2 the price of those at Blackpool.

The Amonia incident must have been around 1966 - 1967 ? I seem to remember it was a night match, I saw something being thrown at the Blackpool fans, but didn't find out what it was until the next days' papers.

I also remember the Millwall game about the same time, first match of the season, it poured down that morning, walking around London wet through.

The worst one I can recall was away at West Ham, 3rd. ? round cup tie, complete free for all after the game ended up in a bus station garage. Then the "special" train back was stopped at Crew when the guard called for assistance and the Police arrived with dogs, in our carriadge there was only one compartment with lights and seating intact.

Happy days !

Remember that West Ham cup game well. Did well to get out alive.

Gotta agree that life would be boring without local derbies - look at the interest that the two Burnley games generated. Only problem we can't really win these matches - if we beat them it is expected, if we lose we won't hear the last of it for years to come (even if they end up relegated).

Like you, I look forward to what is effectively a home match - I just hope there is enough room for all the away fans (I have a feeling a lot of Rovers fans will end up disappointed). Personally I think we could easily take 6k for this match - but I doubt that many tickets will be available. I am sure they will also bring plenty of fans to Ewood - though segregation will be a big problem - as lots of Blackpool fans occasionally attend Rovers for Premiership footie, so will be on the Database.

Interestingly our cheapest ST's are still around 1/2 the price of those at Blackpool.

'Lots of pool fans attend Rovers games'

Well that is exactly my point!

Premier League plus cheap tickets is a draw for floating fans across the region. I know a fair few Preston lads that are floating North Enders but now are seriously considering Rovers season tickets. That would soon stop if PNE came up. A bloke on my row in the Blackburn End is from Blackpool.

Let's get north end up, let's get Stanley up the leagues, let's all have a big Lancashire party- it's suicide for Rovers to want such a thing. Bloody hell even areas just outside the borders of Blackburn borough contain other clubs fans, most clubs have hinterlands that cover thousands of people.

I don't give two hoots about derbies, I want Rovers fans from across the county filling Ewood- you have got to realise that the town of Blackburn cannot sustain top flight football long term, we have to look further afield.

I'm from Blackpool, but I've always been a Rovers fan and only a Rovers fan. I've a soft spot for Blackpool, obviously, but there's no doubt as to where I'll be sitting when Rovers go to Bloomfield Road. Don't know how anyone can regularly go to matches involving teams they don't care about - it bores me to tears.

I'm from Blackpool, but I've always been a Rovers fan and only a Rovers fan. I've a soft spot for Blackpool, obviously, but there's no doubt as to where I'll be sitting when Rovers go to Bloomfield Road. Don't know how anyone can regularly go to matches involving teams they don't care about - it bores me to tears.

Got to agree Fylde, can't understand it either.

I know quite a few blackpool fans, I'm made up for them getting in the Prem, it does the club and their town the world of good, AND we don't want Cardiff in the Prem, they're a disgrace of a club that shouldn't be playing in our leagues IMHO, so welcome in.

Also...

Their manager and his antics will be hilarious, I think he's a great character! Such a refreshing change to the normal tripe bullsh*t bingo you hear from the usual suspects.

They hate the dingles nearly as much as we do, obviously they have a special place set aside for PNE, who,TBH I have always been amibivalent about, although I don't like hearing they are in money trouble (Even if it is their own fault!)

It's going to be THE away match of the season for most Prem clubs who will all make a weekend of it, so that should be fun for the police!

I hope they stay up, rather a North West club than a Southern one or a Geordie, anyday!

We can get tickets in the Gene Kelly stand together! I'll come up for that one!

At what stage of next season will Blackpool's ground be able to hold 15,000 to 18,000?

Probably at the stage when the shine has worn off their promotion and the 37,000 at Wembley have evaporated.

Has the Stand been started this week?!

In the medium-term we want all the lancashire Clubs to do badly....we have to become a Super-Lancs Club to continue our slow progression post-Jack.

Archived