BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackpool - Renewed Rivalry

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the bad old days, Blackpool fans had as bad a reputation if not the worst of the Lancashire town clubs.

Thankfully those days are left far behind us and Rovers v Blackpool should be a joyous occasion next season. There are many Rovers supporters on the Fylde being either Blackburnians who have moved out there or locals who have followed the Rovers through our years in the Premier League.

In the bad old days, Blackpool fans had as bad a reputation if not the worst of the Lancashire town clubs.

Thankfully those days are left far behind us and Rovers v Blackpool should be a joyous occasion next season. There are many Rovers supporters on the Fylde being either Blackburnians who have moved out there or locals who have followed the Rovers through our years in the Premier League.

Well said Philip, it used to be bad with Blackpool...but should make for a good day out bewteen 2 decent sets of fans.

ta

M

'Lots of pool fans attend Rovers games'

Well that is exactly my point!

Premier League plus cheap tickets is a draw for floating fans across the region. I know a fair few Preston lads that are floating North Enders but now are seriously considering Rovers season tickets. That would soon stop if PNE came up. A bloke on my row in the Blackburn End is from Blackpool.

Let's get north end up, let's get Stanley up the leagues, let's all have a big Lancashire party- it's suicide for Rovers to want such a thing. Bloody hell even areas just outside the borders of Blackburn borough contain other clubs fans, most clubs have hinterlands that cover thousands of people.

I don't give two hoots about derbies, I want Rovers fans from across the county filling Ewood- you have got to realise that the town of Blackburn cannot sustain top flight football long term, we have to look further afield.

I agree that more established NW clubs in the Premiership would be bad for the long term growth of Rovers. However - Rovers still have the cheapest tickets (to hopefully lure any with no fixed allegiance) and hopefully will be the Premiership far longer than the likes of Blackpool (no disrespect to Blackpool). Imagine around 10k floating Blackpool fans who buy season tickets for them next season to watch the Premiership - when Blackpool get relegated where do they get their "fix" of premiership football then ?

Remember the Micky Walsh goal ..I think it was. the first ever goal of the season on Match of the day ..Away fans usually get about 2000 or so away tickets at most grounds so the hords of Blackpool fans expecting to travel will be disappointed .Rovers must be the most generous club to away fans,and will give them their biggest allocation ..We are Man Utds favourite ground for a day out I believe

'Lots of pool fans attend Rovers games'

Well that is exactly my point!

Premier League plus cheap tickets is a draw for floating fans across the region. I know a fair few Preston lads that are floating North Enders but now are seriously considering Rovers season tickets. That would soon stop if PNE came up. A bloke on my row in the Blackburn End is from Blackpool.

Let's get north end up, let's get Stanley up the leagues, let's all have a big Lancashire party- it's suicide for Rovers to want such a thing. Bloody hell even areas just outside the borders of Blackburn borough contain other clubs fans, most clubs have hinterlands that cover thousands of people.

I don't give two hoots about derbies, I want Rovers fans from across the county filling Ewood- you have got to realise that the town of Blackburn cannot sustain top flight football long term, we have to look further afield.

Thats a bit simplistic. Rovers vs. Burnley empty seats? Create a NW footballing heartland full of passion and rivalry (at the right price) and you will get more people to all the grounds not less.

i didn't even realise we had a rivalry till the other month

i've always liked blackpool since i've always known burnley wanted to beat them. same with preston. when burnley got beat by either of them they were especially gutted, which therefore made me very happy.

at 22 i don't have any experience of games between rovers and blackpool but my dad got hit by a dart when he went in the late 70's or early 80's.

i want them to stop up to make a mockery of burnleys recent 'achievements'.

Danny Keg is right I think.

7th Oct.1968 It was a night match,I was on the Kop.

The illuminations were on, Adam Blacklaw was in goal. Rovers won 1-0 (Malcolm Darling scored)and Hey Jude was out by the Beatles.

I was only 14. We got on late because of the traffic and I remember seeing some lads scurrying round the back of the Kop, one in a Blue & White top hat.

Like Danny Keg, I only found out from the papers the day after.

Bear in mind this was industrial ammonia, so I assume it was pretty nasty stuff to be chucking about.

I've a feeling custodial sentences were handed out if my memory serves me right.

I think this was the match. My family always visited my Auntie in Blackpool when we played at Bloomfield. I was 13 at the time and it was certainly a night match. As well as Malcolm Darling, I remember it was the time of Don Martin, Eamon Rogers and Stuart Metcalfe. I recall the ammonia incident which was a big issue for weeks after. As me and my father made our way back to my Auntie's in Westmorland Ave there was lots of fighting outside the ground.

Going to away matches around that time was a scary experience for a 13 year old. :(

Lot of histery there.

A burger van at the bottom of the kop end was burned down by the Bolton mob. A B'pool fan was knifed to death at the same game. These sores are never healed. B'pool had a hard following then. We had some rare old ding dongs with them.

That was a long time ago so perhaps they should 'get a grip'?

Is this thread reminiscence therapy for retired hooligans?

Don't be so precious.

I missed the hooligan years, I'm a product of Italia 90, Fever Pitch, the Taylor Report etc. But why brush it under the carpet? It shaped football support for decades and we still see the results in the modern game.

If a few lads on here were a 'bit nawty' yonks ago or if they were just bystanders there's nowt wrong in looking back. Nobodies glorifying anything.

Once again, get a grip.

That was a long time ago so perhaps they should 'get a grip'?

Is this thread reminiscence therapy for retired hooligans?

Get a grip man.

It makes a change from the championship manager thread regarding summer transfer targets, 220 pages of mostly cr@p.

Its been a good read so far, glad those are gone, but face it, it was part of football and lad culture for many years.

Don't be so precious.

I missed the hooligan years, I'm a product of Italia 90, Fever Pitch, the Taylor Report etc. But why brush it under the carpet? It shaped football support for decades and we still see the results in the modern game.

If a few lads on here were a 'bit nawty' yonks ago or if they were just bystanders there's nowt wrong in looking back. Nobodies glorifying anything.

Once again, get a grip.

Get a grip man.

It makes a change from the championship manager thread regarding summer transfer targets, 220 pages of mostly cr@p.

Its been a good read so far, glad those are gone, but face it, it was part of football and lad culture for many years.

I happen to be in agreement with you 2. I abhor hooligans, especially the nut jobs and clowns who still try today, but the bad times of the 70's/80's were different. I'm 33 and I remember being amazed at all the fences at Ewood when I first went as a kid. It's frightening when you think what happened at grounds on a regular basis. Football needed to change and it did, but its past needs discussing.

Late 60’s and early 70’s:

I recall my dad telling me about a lad they used to go with who used to carry a sword with him to matches. He says he never actually cut anyone with it to his knowledge, but as a deterrent it worked wonders! You really did take your life into your hands in those days by going to games…..

Blackburn was a nasty place to come by all accounts, nobody really came and took the ######.

My dad was brought up in Bastwell/Little Harwood area which seems to be a hotbed for lads and football throughout the 80’s and right up to more recent times.

Late 60’s and early 70’s:

I recall my dad telling me about a lad they used to go with who used to carry a sword with him to matches. He says he never actually cut anyone with it to his knowledge, but as a deterrent it worked wonders! You really did take your life into your hands in those days by going to games…..

Blackburn was a nasty place to come by all accounts, nobody really came and took the ######.

My dad was brought up in Bastwell/Little Harwood area which seems to be a hotbed for lads and football throughout the 80’s and right up to more recent times.

Not anymore GAV.....now it`s a hotbed for stewards <_<

Don't be so precious.

Once again, get a grip.

Don't want to become embroiled in messageboard bickering but need to point a few things out.

My original comment wasn't meant in anger - as a resident of Blackpool I was pleased for them to go up and the guy's comment about the ammonia attack, (which I had heard about before), just cut against the grain a little.

I'm certainly not precious and I used to go to away games on the train in the 80's so I can relate to the 'naughtiness' side.

I have a grip thanks, just expressing my opinion.

• 1 month later...

Archived