BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ebay Selling

Was wondering if anyone on here is a buyer/ seller on ebay?

i.e. Have you got your own little/ big business empire running on there?

Im thinking about setting one up, so im just looking for any good items to sell....anyone know of any really good sellers which there is a profit to be made on?

I've been having a bit of a de-clutter round the house and have been using eBay to sell off some stuff. One man's trash is another man's treasure after all. Got rid of a few books and DVD boxsets at reasonable prices. Just make sure you have an idea of how much postage and packing will cost you - a Rocky 1-6 boxset cost me £3.50 to send even though I had only charged £1.50 from the auction.

Above all else, make sure you out some effort into your listings. Change your font and paste in reviews about the item that you find elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

Cheers sloth - iv sold things before so im well aware about postage costs and also listing detail.

Im now trying to find a 'business' or a product to start selling which makes profit....anyone know of anything that tends to do well!?

Human body parts?

Sexual favours?

I think you have to have a good knowledge of a particular field, eg antiquarian books. If you know your field very well, then you can pick out what's being undersold and sell it on at a profit. I'm not sure you can just pick one thing that's a good seller, because it would be well known and everyone would be doing it.

I would suggest that the number of people making serious money on eBay is dropping all the time. The days of running a 'hobby' business on there and making a decent return are gone IMO. If you can find a high margin product that people are prepared to pay postage for, then great but for most (I suspect) the profit comes from low margin, but high (very high) volumes which is obviously more labout intensive / time consuming.

All I will say is good luck!!

I regularly sell stuff on ebay. One word of advice......DON`T bother selling stuff abroad. It`s not worth the hassle :unsure:

Guest Kamy100

Few years ago it was possible to make a decent profit from selling on Ebay, however now as someone said earlier the items that tend to do well are cheap ones, this requires you to sell large quantities to make a decent profit.

The only exception to this is "hot" electronic items, for example people made a lot of money from selling Xbox 360's and Nintendo Wii's when they were first released as demand exceeded supply. A similar thing is likely to happen with the Apple Ipad over the weekend.

Finally as Stu said if you going to be selling large quantities then be careful as Inland Revenue will be watching.

Not going to promote ticket touting but they do sell well on ebay. if you can manage to get hold of big music event tickets when they first come on sale there is often a profit to be made. I bought a pair of front row Michael McIntyre tickets off ebay and lets say they set me back quite a lot.

A similar thing is likely to happen with the Apple Ipad over the weekend.

Really? I know where their is one for sale already.....might have to check the prices!!

Not going to promote ticket touting but they do sell well on ebay. if you can manage to get hold of big music event tickets when they first come on sale there is often a profit to be made. I bought a pair of front row Michael McIntyre tickets off ebay and lets say they set me back quite a lot.

Yeah I know a guy who is absolutely minted & that is all he has ever done....that and actual touting at events!

Iv found a number of items where profit margin is around £2-3 per item....is that good in ebay terms or not??

It obviously requires me to sell large quantities to make serious cash!

Is the margin AFTER, eBay listing fees, fv fees and paypal fees .. if so then it is something to start with I suppose, if not then I'd keep looking :)

Is the margin AFTER, eBay listing fees, fv fees and paypal fees .. if so then it is something to start with I suppose, if not then I'd keep looking :)

Yeah after all fees - range from £2 up to about £5.

Iv also found some other stuff which I can make about 50p an item on :wacko:

You also need to note that the Inland Revenue types take a good look at ebay and other auction sites.

If it looks like you are making a profit they will be after their bit!

Stuiwilky,

That might be just urban legend. I really doubt that "Her Majesty's Customs & Revenue" have the time to search though e-bay. So rest easy. The "Inland Revenue" was merged with the old "Customs & Excise" some years ago.

Do try to keep up old chap and not frighten fellow posters.

Colin

You also need to note that the Inland Revenue types take a good look at ebay and other auction sites.

If it looks like you are making a profit they will be after their bit!

I doubt if the inland revenue have the staff or time to check ebay.

Ebay are however obliged by law to inform the tax authorities if you have ebay invoices of £250 or more over three consecutive months. In other words, if you have sales of £2,500 for three months in a row (10 per cent ebay fees of £250) ebay considers you are not just selling a few unwanted items but are operating as a business and therefore liable to VAT etc.

In that event ebay will invite you to upgrade your account to a business account, and if you do not take up the invitation they will upgrade it anyway. Business accounts are of course then subject to inland revenue scrutiny. The trick for private sellers is then to start a new ebay selling account under a new username.

I`ve recently gone through my 'man drawer' & found 3 old mobile phones still in original boxes & with all accessories. I`ve decided to put them on ebay along with my new recently 'unwanted' upgrade phone. They`ve only been listed a couple of days , but i`ve had quite a few bids & lots of question requests.

It`s far better & more exciting than posting your old phone to one of these advertised "we buy your old phone" companies. It`s amazing how much interest my old 6230 has had.

It`s all going towards my hoddilay spends fund ;)

People will buy any old tat, honestly! :wacko:

The other year i sold a brand new camcorder (still boxed) It was an insurance replacement. I had my original stolen & they replaced it....even though i hardly used the original......so i put it on ebay. Some idiot bought it for £50 more (plus postage £) than you could buy it for in any electrical store in any high street. I was amazed & hooked from that moment on!! :tu:

I also sold 2 MDF pub signs that were being skipped when my old works was closing down. I asked if i could have them. My boss said yes......& i sold them for nearly £400 on ebay to a guy in China!! :blink:

The world is full of people only too willing to part with their cash :tu:

It`s far better & more exciting.......

It`s all going towards my hoddilay spends fund

I think that's the main point. I sell a lot of unwanted stuff on eBay and leave the money in a seperate account. Then when I want something new, current target is a new bike this autumn, much of the cash is there.

My mother, 25 years since she died, was a big Wedgwood collector. Nothing fancy just the blue stuff and it's been in our loft ever since. I recently sold it all on eBay for amazing prices, all gone to Australia for some reason. Overseas selling of certain things gets far better prices and despite what others say is very simple if one makes the effort and charge P&P at appropriate rates.

Strangely though I'm trying to shift a Wedgwood dinner service, with very good sales prices from others , but can't get any interest at all on eBay.

Archived