BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hodilays!

Just back from a few days in Dubrovnik. Splendid place and worth not being able to watch the MU match from my normal perch.

Always wanted to go, heard very good things. Nice beaches, not too many tourists. Did you stay in a hotel, apartment or villa? The only worry I'd have is the standard of accomatation there.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always wanted to go, heard very good things. Nice beaches, not too many tourists. Did you stay in a hotel, apartment or villa? The only worry I'd have is the standard of accomatation there.

I didn't find any problems with that here. http://www.gva.hr/

The only gripe was that the excellent spa and fitness facilities are franchised out and whilst the pool and gym are free there was a 15 euro charge for the sauna! Reception did say they were aware that it was not the usual scenario for a hotel of that quality and that they were hoping to include the sauna in the freebies in the next contract.

There are some apartments in the old town but no hotels. The Hilton, Excelsior and the Grand Ville are all within a 1/4 mile of the city walls.

Tel Aviv and Elait in June.

Chicargo and Las Vegas in July.

Paphos in August.

Ewood in September.

Give us a PM if you want to share a relegation reprieve pint of Gold Star. I'm banished to the Semitic fringes (northern border) until the autumn, but in Tel Aviv most weeks (aka the 'Big Orange') due to work - generally found lurking in The Minzar (near the Shuq Ha Carmel), with the remnants of the ex-pat wastrels, but occasionally carousing at Mike's Place, by the American Embassy.

This year I have learned how to have a holiday where you do nothing. I never thought it was possible.

Since December I'd done 4 skiing trips (2 long weekends in Switzerland, one weekend in France and a full week in Switz), and a footy weekend in Germany to watch some Bundisliga action at Monchengladbach.

The do nothing holiday was 10 days in Antigua earlier this month ... and was absolutely fantastic. Perfect resort (all inclusive, no children), 20 paces from room to beach, 30 paces from room to pool and bar ... we got a 6am taxi from Darwen to Manchester and with the time difference and a nice sleep on the BA flight from Gatwick, we were lounging in the infinity pool at 3pm local time. Literally in a different world.

5769845122_d3d7979a1e.jpg

Previous recent "big" holidays had all been World Cups (SA 2010 and Germany 2006), Euros (2008), or involved lots of driving / sightseeing / visiting ... and it was just great to find the perfect retreat this time. (We did visit both international cricket grounds on Antigua though - can't let standards slip too much!)

We're going back to the same place next year, sod the Euros in Poland/Ukraine ... International Football 0 - Caribbean Beaches 1.

Got a few more trips lined up for this year though, a wedding in Turin week after next, a stag do in Dusseldorf in July, wedding in Sydney in November (if Emirates knock the fares down), and then it's back into the ski season so those amazing cheap Easyjet fares from Manchester to Switzerland cannot be ignored!!

Bloody hell those are some air miles!

Going to Budapest for a couple of nights in August, should be a laugh.

My brother's doing the same, but in June.

Zante for me :xmas:

Heading to Paris for 4 days in July, anyone ever been before? Any must see places? (except the obvious!)

You can pretty much guess at the places, but for a good overview I would book yourself on a Fat Tire Bike Tour - http://fattirebiketours.com/paris

Takes about 4 hours in total including dinner, you have a little rest at each of the major places for the guide to tell you about it. It's much better than being on a bus tour imo

Also we went to a Cabaret (Lido we went to http://www.lido.fr/us/ - we wanted Moulin Rouge, but the cheapest tickets left were €205 and we didn't want to go that badly!) - though this really depends who you are going with!!

• 3 weeks later...

Not to pipi on your frites, but take plenty of cash with you. When I went a few years ago me and my then-girlfriend got through about £500 between two of us over the course of four days. The food in any part of the city is not cheap.

Eat your main meal at lunchtime - prices for the set menus are usually cheaper than in the evenings. Buy the bakery chain like la mie caline deals for your other meal if you can't be bothered buying picnic items or whatever. Make sure you take comfy shoes as the best way to see most of Paris is to walk, walk, walk but those pavements are hard on the feet. Go down under the Louvre from the Arc du Carousel and come up in the Louvre pyramid even if you don't want to waste decent weather visiting the museum itself. Do visit the Musée d'Orsay if you have time to see the Impressionist paintings. Eat cheaply in the streets off the Boulevard St Michel. The Sainte Chapelle on the Ile de la Cité (access through the Palais de Justice) is worth a visit if the sun shines - medieval stained glass in glorious technicolour. Other less touristy place worth seeing is the Place des Vosges and that district. AA guide to Madrid did great walks with just enough info but not so much as to be off putting and I expect the Paris one (probably available from your library) will do the same. Has a handy laminated metro and street map that you can take out and carry in your pocket or bag.

The best view of the Eiffel Tower is to be had if you take the metro to Trocadero and come round the corner of the palais de chaillot. If you can't face the Eiffel tower queues and they are very long, then try the tour Montparnasse which gives the same great views at a lower price without too much waiting. Not quite the same but depends how much time you want to spend standing around waiting.

And just take time to relax. Paris is wonderful for just sitting in a park and doing nothing.

Madrid btw was great too. 3-4 days there including a trip to Toledo was a really good experience even for us who spoke not a word of Spanish when we went (we came back speaking quite a lot) Bernabeu stadium tour was worth doing - sitting in the dugout and the press room very impressive)

Heading to Paris for 4 days in July, anyone ever been before? Any must see places? (except the obvious!)

Gumboots post just reminded me. Don't go on the ground tour at Stade de France - dullest ground tour I've ever done!

Gumboots post just reminded me. Don't go on the ground tour at Stade de France - dullest ground tour I've ever done!

Didn't do the tour when we first went - just went in the museum and shop. However, it was very grey and not interesting as a stadium. Bernabeu wasn't guided - you did it all at your own pace and there was loads to see. Stade de France was fun when we went to France England a few years back - tickets in with the French rather than the England fans!

• Backroom

For some reason I've never been a huge fan of Paris although I do love Notre Dame, seriously impressive although the stairs to the top are a bit ropey!

I did also enjoy sitting outside the Pompidou (sp?) centre and watching the street performers.

I'm off to Malaysia and Singapore this Christmas for 2-3 weeks. Anybody been or can recommend places to see/visit? I'll be doing a bit of road trip with a few friends but I'd like to throw my tuppence in for where to go!

I go to malaysia every two years - Pennang. Wife's parents live there. Eat where the locals eat. Singapore cleanest place you will ever see - excellent airport, also mega clean.

Hard for me to recommend places to visit. As I am taking around by my wifes family. They know I like to eat, so take me to various places. But if you like curry, you must visit a nasi kanda place.

I go to malaysia every two years - Pennang. Wife's parents live there. Eat where the locals eat. Singapore cleanest place you will ever see - excellent airport, also mega clean.

Hard for me to recommend places to visit. As I am taking around by my wifes family. They know I like to eat, so take me to various places. But if you like curry, you must visit a nasi kanda place.

Both amazing places, spent quite a bit of time over that way. Singapore zoo and the night safari are both fantastic. You can catch a bus from the main terminal in the city.

http://www.nightsafari.com.sg/

Some really nice bars around the marina but be aware that the drinks are very expensive. Plenty of boat trips to go on for a few hours.

The Singapore eye is huge and offers great views across the city. Most of all though sample as much of the food as you can. Use the street vendors and eat in as many locals places as possible. Not many better places if you like your food. Very cheap also.

For some reason I've never been a huge fan of Paris although I do love Notre Dame, seriously impressive although the stairs to the top are a bit ropey!

I did also enjoy sitting outside the Pompidou (sp?) centre and watching the street performers.

Can you tell i love the place? It's not the same as it was when I first went there on my honeymoon nearly 40 years ago but there is still something magic for me there. But then I speak fluent French and know a lot of the history and culture around the place so perhaps that adds to it. Don't know but I'd go at the drop of a hat.

Great thanks for the advice gumboots, I have just picked up the AA Paris guide from a charity shop. I'm also interested the summer sales that are going on and also the flea market, my girlfriend has noted down the shops she wants to visit and they seem to be on Rue St Honore, if that makes any sense. Got a decent schedule written up and our hotel is not far from Montmarte (it doesn't sound like the best area tbh) so will be going there first. Have also heard that around the Notre Dam at saturday night there are various street show entertainers, fire eaters etc, is this true as it was only on a little app on my phone, thanks for your help.

Great thanks for the advice gumboots, I have just picked up the AA Paris guide from a charity shop. I'm also interested the summer sales that are going on and also the flea market, my girlfriend has noted down the shops she wants to visit and they seem to be on Rue St Honore, if that makes any sense. Got a decent schedule written up and our hotel is not far from Montmarte (it doesn't sound like the best area tbh) so will be going there first. Have also heard that around the Notre Dam at saturday night there are various street show entertainers, fire eaters etc, is this true as it was only on a little app on my phone, thanks for your help.

Best place for street entertainment is as someone else said outside the Pompidou centre - buy sandwiches and a drink from one of the many places around there and sit on the steps and enjoy. Also although Montmartre can be a slightly dodgy area late at night it's also one of the best areas to eat in - lots of little cheap restaurants. Just keep your girlfriend away from the shops round the Place Vendome unless your credit card can take a massive hit - if you have to ask the price you can't afford it and they don't display prices!

Great thanks once again, I'm sure we will be fine with the area, the metro station is literally out the door from our hotel so should be okay. Will check out Pompidou centre definitely. Very excited to visit Paris, i'm a keen photographer so cannot wait to get some shots. Just a quick question regarding transport from CDG airport, the hotel we are staying at is close to the Gare Du Nord station, after doing some research I believe you can get the RER B train straight to this? This would be the simplest and cheapest way to get there, providing we can find the train! Thanks again for the hints!

Great thanks once again, I'm sure we will be fine with the area, the metro station is literally out the door from our hotel so should be okay. Will check out Pompidou centre definitely. Very excited to visit Paris, i'm a keen photographer so cannot wait to get some shots. Just a quick question regarding transport from CDG airport, the hotel we are staying at is close to the Gare Du Nord station, after doing some research I believe you can get the RER B train straight to this? This would be the simplest and cheapest way to get there, providing we can find the train! Thanks again for the hints!

Trains from CDG are easy to find and the paris metro is easy to use. If you're going to use it a lot buy a 3 day pass for bus RER and metro. Otherwise buy a carnet of 10 tickets. To work out which way you're going just follow the sign for the end station on your line. Couldn't be simpler.

• Backroom

We are thinking of popping away for a weekend with the little one just locally. Does anyone know of any nice places that hire out static caravans or log cabins or similar?

Probably Lake District but it doesn't have to be

Archived