BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Iphone 4G

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ill rather get the Sony Ericsson X10 or the HTC Desire.

I'm getting the Xperia X10 I think. Don't fancy the £35 a month for 2 years with the Iphone. Its going to be at least £10 a month less on the X10, and its a pretty impressive phone from what I have read.

I see that there is finally a official Blackburn Rovers app on the App Store, it costs £2.39.

It's a total waste of money at the moment. Never updated at all properly during the game today so had to resort to following on the official site which kind of defeats the object of having the app.

It's a total waste of money at the moment. Never updated at all properly during the game today so had to resort to following on the official site which kind of defeats the object of having the app.

OMG, you must be emotionally damaged by your experience...surely there's someone you can sue over this. Being forced to used a quicker, clearer and more intuitive tool like a computer to access the internet must be a violation of your Human Rights or something, who's your local MEP? Does he know about this scandal?

Just imagine you were in a place where there was no computer access, like at a funeral or a business meeting and you needed to read the latest interview with Maceo Rigters that's just been posted. What would you do? It's a disgrace and should get a lot more media coverage if you ask me!!!

OMG, you must be emotionally damaged by your experience...surely there's someone you can sue over this. Being forced to used a quicker, clearer and more intuitive tool like a computer to access the internet must be a violation of your Human Rights or something, who's your local MEP? Does he know about this scandal?

Just imagine you were in a place where there was no computer access, like at a funeral or a business meeting and you needed to read the latest interview with Maceo Rigters that's just been posted. What would you do? It's a disgrace and should get a lot more media coverage if you ask me!!!

Or, he could simply be being helpful to others stating that the app is not worth the money to save others. But no problem, you carry on your childish rant.

He probably just used Safari on his iPhone unsure.gifrolleyes.gif

Bizarrely enough that it is exactly what I did do. As more sensible/normal posters have noted i'm merely pointing it out for people who may be thinking of getting it and was also wondering if others had experienced the same. Given this is an Iphone thread and the app had already been mentioned I naturally thought it would be the correct place to post my views.

A typical "anti Apple" idiot.

They always sound the same, and describing a computer as more intuitive than anything made by Apple is just stupid.

Are you seriously saying that using the internet on an iPhone is more intuitive than using a traditional PC? Seriously?????

Mouse vs Touchpad, Mouse is more intuitive, quicker and a lot more accurate

Full size QWERTY keyboard vs mini one, Um I wonder what is easier to use, could it be the bigger version with buttons you don't have to check the acreen everytime to make sure it registered you pressing it, the one with all the keys/symbols available in one place?

Screen size 17" and up vs 3.5", I wonder which one would be higher resolution and show more content at once? Hmmmm

I suggest you buy a dictionary and look up what "intuitive" means sir...

Bizarrely enough that it is exactly what I did do. As more sensible/normal posters have noted i'm merely pointing it out for people who may be thinking of getting it and was also wondering if others had experienced the same. Given this is an Iphone thread and the app had already been mentioned I naturally thought it would be the correct place to post my views.

And I was merely pointing out your dramatic phrase, when someone says "I had to resort to..." it suggests they were, against their will, made to use something less effective, i.e I couldn't find a sharp knife so I have to resort to using a blunt one, or we couldn't afford Guti so we had to resort to signing Teymourian, etc....

Don't worry, I know about the RDF and how it affects Apple customers and their views. You have simply been led to believe that having the internet on a phone is "more advanced" than using a PC, maybe cause the concept is newer or something I dunno. If it's in the form of an "app" it's even cooler because those are even newer concepts and 'app' sounds so much more hip than "software" like Internet Explorer/Safari call themselves.....

Seems a perfectly correct use of the word "resort" to me. Thanks for the heads up, I'll wait to buy it then.

It's great to have the internet on your phone and to be instantly alerted to any new emails or various other things, it certainly adds to the internet experience, whether you are using an iphone, a nokia, a blackberry or whatever.

Apps then have the advantage of being specifically designed for one purpose. A great example of this being the fantasy baseball application that I use on my iphone which I choose to use over going through safari on the phone or a browser on my computer. I wouldn't want to look through this site constantly on my phone (although it's just been improved), but there are times that applications are far better.

As for the intuitive debate, have to say I think that you are wrong. It's often not as convenient to use a phone, but that isn't because it's less intuitive. If you gave a person with no technilogical knowledge a phone and a computer I think they would find a touch screen phone far easier to use (that's regardless of brand). Having used computers all of your life it isn't quite like that, but for the complete novice it is far simpler.

As for the intuitive debate, have to say I think that you are wrong. It's often not as convenient to use a phone, but that isn't because it's less intuitive. If you gave a person with no technilogical knowledge a phone and a computer I think they would find a touch screen phone far easier to use (that's regardless of brand). Having used computers all of your life it isn't quite like that, but for the complete novice it is far simpler.

OK let me put it this way...

You get two Amish teenagers who are intellectually the same (twin for argument's sake), you put one in front of a PC with IE loaded up and give the other an iPhone with it's web app loaded up....

Now, I am willing to bet my life saving (which is zero so not that much TBH) that the Amish tenager in front of the PC will work out that moving the mouse, moves the pointer on the screen way before the other works out that holding your finger on a screen and dragging it along moves the screen.

When they come to clicking a link, again I'm sure the person at the PC would work out that clicking on a link takes them there before the other figures out that they have to put both fingers on the screen and make a spefic motion to zoom in so that you can then tap the screen to activate the link (I maybe being unfair to the iPhone specifically here as I'm going by my touchscreen and on that most links (take BBC 606 site for example) are way to close together to be able to hit accurately without zooming in.

Think about it, the PC has evolved over decades to be easy to use and is why we have mice, qwerty keyboards etc. Internet on mobiles is a "fudged" thing and always will be. The Touchscreen, pinching to zoom in etc are products of mobile phone makers traying to give users an easy to use Internet on their phone but without the luxury of having space. When you do have space/non portability then you can use better tools like mice/keyboards. If what you were saying is true then why does the mouse still exist? Why aren't we using touchscreens on our home PCs? They are easier/cheaper to make than a tiny screens that have to do the same thing?

Touchscreen technology does serve a purpose, where accuracy is a non-isse and protability/lack of space is an issue but I don't buy the idea that they are "better" than tradional screens in all aspects just because they are newer or "cooler". However I do not buy the argument that touchscreen technology will replace all existing screen in the future.

Thanks Flopsy, useful to know.

Ewood and I Would - I used to feel you had some quite good points to make but frankly your incessant rants against Apple are beginning to make you look very foolish. The iPhone is a useful gadget, I'm idling away an hour and a very good bottle in Nice. I don't want to fire up my laptop, so the phone is ideal for checking e-mail and catching up on the Rovers. You need to chill out a little........

Ewood and I Would - I used to feel you had some quite good points to make but frankly your incessant rants against Apple are beginning to make you look very foolish. The iPhone is a useful gadget, I'm idling away an hour and a very good bottle in Nice. I don't want to fire up my laptop, so the phone is ideal for checking e-mail and catching up on the Rovers. You need to chill out a little........

I never said having the internet on your phone wasn't useful, just that it wasn't as good as using it on a normal computer.....

I don't think Rupert Murdoch validates your opinion! Didn't he buy Myspace shortly before everybody deserted it?

Anyway, I've never argued that these things won't sell. Neither have I argued that tablets aren't the future. I simply think iPads pointless. Different thing altogether. For an analyst you don't half miss the point in spectacular fashion sometimes.

In a few years, when they're more than an oversized phone, I'll change my mind. In fact, I'll probably buy one.

I saw you talking about design companies on another thread - I see why these make you hard now. iPads are style with no substance. Great for people who want something that looks pretty to impress the fickle, but useless for people who actually want to do things.

Unlike the iPhone, which I think is excellent and serves a definite purpose.

I don't think Rupert Murdoch validates your opinion! Didn't he buy Myspace shortly before everybody deserted it?

Anyway, I've never argued that these things won't sell. Neither have I argued that tablets aren't the future. I simply think iPads pointless. Different thing altogether. For an analyst you don't half miss the point in spectacular fashion sometimes.

In a few years, when they're more than an oversized phone, I'll change my mind. In fact, I'll probably buy one.

I saw you talking about design companies on another thread - I see why these make you hard now. iPads are style with no substance. Great for people who want something that looks pretty to impress the fickle, but useless for people who actually want to do things.

Unlike the iPhone, which I think is excellent and serves a definite purpose.

Have you used an iPad? For web browsing, email and movies on the go it's great, it's a lot better than lugging around a laptop. It's easy to use for people of any age, especially kids. It's a very fun device. It's never going to replace a 'real' computer, but that's not it's purpose. It does everything it is designed to do really well and is idiot proof.

For a lot of people it'd be better for then than a crappy windows laptop, they certainly wouldn't have to worry about viruses, spyware and downloading security updates everyday!

It's not really a big phone either, it is comparable to an iPhone as it uses the same operating system. Which is a good thing as it means apps are compatible between your idevices :-)

I don't have an iPad yet, but will be very tempted when the 2nd generation is released next year. At the moment, I'm happy with an iPhone and my MacBook. Though if I did a lot of commuting on public transport, I'd have an iPad.

Do things? Like what? Do the accounts? Write a letter? Fill out a tax return? I've got the laptop/PC for that, that's what it was designed for.

The media/Internet element was tagged on to PCs as a means to end. They were not built for that purpose.

Time will tell

Have you used an iPad? For web browsing, email and movies on the go it's great, it's a lot better than lugging around a laptop.

I've tried it briefly, I'm not keen as you can tell!

Web browing, email and movies on the go...Apple had already invented something to do all that, and it is more convenient to use 'on the go' because it's much smaller.

An iPad is too big to be used as a truly portable device, you can hardly carry it in your pocket.

I've tried it briefly, I'm not keen as you can tell!

Web browing, email and movies on the go...Apple had already invented something to do all that, and it is more convenient to use 'on the go' because it's much smaller.

An iPad is too big to be used as a truly portable device, you can hardly carry it in your pocket.

The size is a bit of an issue, I think if they brought out one half the size it'd be perfect. I've heard rumours that they may have a smaller iPad in the works.

I think an Apple netbook would have been a big seller, for people that want more a computer than a multimedia device. Though it wouldn't have been as 'revolutionary' as the iPad.

Archived