BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Digest And Links (Summer 2010)

Guest Wen Y Hu

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from 17:30 yesterday to 16:00 today. Note that nicko has not been active on the main transfer thread during this period, but he was active on the takeover thread as per below. Please also note that a degree of editing has been undertaken with regard to the posts below for ease of reading.

Any comments should be confined to the relevant threads - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

nicko on the takeover

Nicko there are several things that need clarifying yesterday. On that maple leaf blog it said the bloke S.Shah did not have 2 hay penny's to rub together, so that would indicate they are out of the picture & the Walkers would have told them to do one. Then today LET it says the Shah interest is not dead. We knew they had meetings with the club this week with 9 other representatives at Brockhall. All rovers said is that there was real interest, but nothing more like before. Then on the end it says it is unknown how wealthy he or his backers are, although they have shipping interests. On the maple leaf blog it says he is not wealthy both from LET sources. So what exactly is the truth?

The key point is that the Indians have been in contact for weeks, have come over and both sides are looking seriously at each other. This is probably more advanced than any interest since the Dan Williams case three years ago. In fact, it is probably making a bigger impact as transfer activity is virtually suspended as this process goes on...and that is an extra problem. The Marple Leaf chap picked up a column from some supposedly 'in the know' fan...The fact the club are still talking to the Indians tells me this is pretty serious...We have still to discover what money they intend to spend or have behind them...That is more important than daft Internet mud-slinging.

Then you say there are 2 live bidders: the Indian & the Thais. So from what you said the Indians are still in the frame. If they have no money, surely they would be discounted. It says there will be a bid made shortly, then the club will decide who to sell to? That tells me the Thais are about to make a bid. So is it true the Walkers are instigating a bidding auction to get the best possible price - is this correct? You talk about leaks and black propaganda - only the individuals will know their reasons. It seems the 2 sources from the LET are saying the same thing.

I know the Thais are still in the picture...But the Indians are probably ahead in the process just now...To be fair, they did not leak their interest...That came from me...They were 'outed' by The Times after that...They are for real...But it's now a matter of checking into them and their intentions.

Nicko what is the truth here do we know who the backers for the Indians are & have they run background checks on their consortium? Do we have any new info on the Thai bid who the backers are etc.? I have to say if I hear one more time there is real interest, I will stick one of those vuvuzelas up vinjay's where the sun don't shine. Nicko all this contradicting suggests to me the Walkers want rid at any cost, which is a dangerous thing considering what's happened at other clubs and things are going on behind the scenes. Nicko what is the truth here: as stated before, the trustees will not sell at any cost. Have they now changed their stance and want rid whatever? It reminds me of this coalition gvt. saying there will be cuts but not giving specifics on where they are going to come. Any help would be great.

There is no contradiction as such...One or two people are trying to run them down...That is either because they are on one of the opposition sides or are being fed info from within the club...I think there is genuine concern at the club about who these people are and what they plan to do...Whether that is a real concern or just being a natural-born pessimist is not for me to say.

I have a feeling the Trustees are a bit spooked by this whole affair...They have finally found a potential buyer and for some reason are worried about the outcome...Like I said before, very interesting times.

Nicko you said yesterday a bid will be made shortly. Is that from the Thai group? I already had the impression the Indians had already made a bid or is that not the case?

thanks as ever for your great input.

I would think the Indian group are more likely to make the first bid...they seem to have been pushing for this more than anyone lately.

Just been thinking. It is about seven-eight weeks since I first heard of their interest and they are still around and making visits to the club. So this has been happening behind the scenes for some time. It's not a passing interest.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 16:00 today. Note that nicko has been active on both the main transfer thread and the takeover thread as well as the Sam Allardyce thread during this period. For further discussion and developments, please see the respective threads.

Any comments should be confined to the relevant threads - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

nicko on transfers

I am told there will be NO major movement while this takeover thing goes rumbling on.

However keep your eyes out for a trialist or two getting sweaty in pre-season training this week.

Strange days.

Winston Reid

Sky Sports are reporting that Big Sam is "rumoured" to be looking at 21-year-old New Zealand defender Reid of Danish club FC Midtjylland.

Sky Sports, 26 June 2010

Reid hoping for PL chance: Blackburn rumoured to be interested in New Zealand defender

(thanks to smoss for the link)

Sam Allardyce

According to the Mail Online, Al Ahli of Dubai may have already sounded out Big Sam to take over there. Later, however, Sky Sports reported that Mark Hughes is about to be appointed. First of all, nicko's reaction to the initial news. For further comments on the matter, see the Sam Allardyce and the main takeover threads.

Anything Nicko, in the fact that Sam is moving to the Dubai based club this summer, and is that the reason he is there now

This is probably the wrong thread for that discussion - or maybe not.

The story has been written by a pal of the manager.

The Dubai club approached Harry Redknapp via an agent who is a pal of the manager.

There may be something to this. Although my feeling is that it is a 'come on' for other prospective employers.

A lot of unhappiness about the lack of cash available and the takeover thing...

Watch this space.

Mail Online, 27 June 2010

Sam Allardyce ear-marked by Al Ahli as man to put Middle Eastern football on the map

(thanks to laughatthedingles for the link)

Sky Sports, 27 June 2010

Hughes in Dubai talks: Former Man City chief could be set for Middle East move

(thanks to Pete1981 for the link)

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 16:00 today. Note that nicko has been active on both the main transfer and takeover threads as well as the Sam Allardyce thread during this period.

Today's digest starts off with discussion of Sam Allardyce and a summary from that thread. For further discussion and developments, please see the respective threads.

Sam Allardyce

I can't be bothered waiting until 11, so...

The Big Sam story has a lot of truth about it. I believe he has already spoken to them but the compo would be a problem. The wages are massive. Wonder if Rovers would just let him go?

Mark Hughes is in the frame, Marcelo Lippi still favoured.

However intriguingly the talks are being brokered by an agent friend of the manager - and the guy recruiting for Al Ahli is called Mark Bell who was once player liaison officer at Bolton Wanderers.

We have not heard the last of this one.

If they are so loaded, why would compo be a problem?

Very few foreign clubs like paying compo...they have a budget for a coach and that's for his wages.

And two of his main rivals are free.

Big Sam and Mark Hughes - complete with backroom team - are both in the same hotel in Dubai...

That should make for interesting pool bar chat over there.

What is Hughes doing in Dubai??

I take it Sam's backroom team is at Brockhall?? And only Hughes has his team there?

Hughes and his gang are all over there for the interview...although it is starting to sound like he could be getting the job.

Sam's staff are over-seeing the press-ups and putting out of cones at Brockhall today.

Hopefully something happens with the takeover talks and Sam stays with us.. Do you have any latest news on these takeover talks or are they stalling as people have suggested

The Indians have been over...both sides are eyeing each other up...and in the meantime the manager can't sign players who would cost any kind of money...

It's a vital few days.

The LT on Al-Ahli Sam link

Lancashire Telegraph, 28 June 2010

No approach from Dubai for Blackburn Rovers boss

nicko on trialists

Nicko: Can you give us any clues about the trialists or name them please?+

I will do if and when they arrive...the first couple of days of this week may just be fitness tests for the players around...hearing arrivals not expected until end of the week.

Raul

The Mail Online is reporting that Big Sam is lining up a bid for Real Madrid legend Raul.

Mail Online, 28 June 2010

Blackburn line up shock move for Raul after Real Madrid legend calls it quits at the Bernabeu

(thanks to Cookiemonster for the initial alert and to Hughesy for the link)

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 16:00 today. Note that nicko has been quite active on the thread during this period and that the posts under nicko stuff have been arranged for ease of reading.

nicko on Al-Ahli Sam link

nicko confirming in The Mirror what was posted on here yesterday.

Mirror Football, 28 June 2010

Big Sam and Sparky tussle for Dubai-based job

(thanks to roversfan99 for the link)

Aristide Bance

Sky Sports linked us with Aristide Bance. See nicko's comment on this link below.

Sky Sports, 28 June 2010

Rovers eye Bance move: Big Sam keen on Burkina Faso hit-man

(thanks to roversfan99 for the link)

nicko stuff

Oklahoma suggested some players active in Portugal that Rovers ought to be interested in and asked what the situation was with Yebda, who he thought might be a suitable loan target for the Rovers, prompting the folllowing summary of the situation from nicko.

[...]

Everything is at a standstill just now because of takeover-talk events.

Sorry, missed the questions...will answer...

So would you say the Bance story is just agent talk?

Yes

Nicko how likely is a quick resolution to the takeover situation

The board must know we need to strengthen.

[...]

Possibly quicker than first imagined...trouble is not quickly enough.

[...]

For whom? To keep the manager? To sign players?

From what I hear - in the past couple of days - this takeover thing may be more advanced than anyone is letting on.

However the time I hear for potential completion is 'the start of the season.'

And that would be no good for anyone.

Is this why Allardyce is saying "Let me buy players now and I'll balance the books on sales and purchases later?"

I know the manager is fed up with missing out on a couple of recent targets.

And the timing of this Al Ahli interest just makes the whole 'scenario' very lively just now.

What kind of targets did we miss out on?

Boselli was one?

Guti is out of reach financially just now...Lewandowski was too expensive...Dindane could have been done for better or for worse...Piquionne is still out there...And there was interest in Petrov...

In four of these cases the players are still available and yet the manager chooses to extend his break for a week because there is no dough to do business right now.

Enough said.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 16:00 today. Note that nicko has been quite active during this period, particularly on the Sam Allardyce thread.

Frederic Piquionne

The Lancashire Telegraph are reporting that we are still interested in Piquionne.

Lancashire Telegraph, 30 June 2010

Blackburn Rovers in the mix for Piquionne

(thanks to Hughesy for the alert)

nicko on transfer policy

In response to Brfcrule1's request for clarification regarding current transfer policy, nicko had this to say last night.

[...]

The manager wants a striker...but as there is no money just now and a lot of doubt about so many things he has decided to take a further break...I don't think he has one specific target on his mind...just a lot of annoyance about the lack of activity.

[...]

There won't be anything going on just now...it's totally jammed up because of this takeover possibility...anyone who claims it is 'business as usual' [as I read somewhere] is seriously delusional...

nicko on Big Sam and the Al-Ahli link

Nicko, if any of the interest takeover groups take over, would they want Big Sam to be manager? or would they want their own manager in?

I don't know the answer to that...and neither, I suggest, does anyone at the club.

Another reason why this is all rather turbulent.

Found out a bit more about Sam's Dubai trip.

Seems he had three corporate 'gigs' lined up during the World Cup.

But they have been called off with England's early exit.

That should improve his temper. ;)

It also shows it's highly unlikely he's over there touting for work....

I think if you check out who wrote the story in the first place - his mates at the People and Mail on Sunday - you would KNOW the story is correct.

And from what I have found, following it up since, it is a real issue.

No point putting heads in the sand here.

But stories of this nature placed with "mates in the press" suggest more along the lines of putting pressure on the Blackburn board do they not?

I just find it hard to believe given Sams ambitions oft stated whilst he was with us that he'd go to Al Ahli?

The story is correct.

[...]

The money on offer is huge...and tax free.

Confusion reigned briefly as one or two members got the wrong end of the stick regarding the location of the Al-Alhi club, leading to the questioning of the media sources of the above story. This prompted the following response from nicko:

I can't believe how naive some people can be...

The story was in the People and Mail on Sunday, written by two people who know the manager very well. Their information is sound and correct.

The money for the job is around 2.5 million dollars tax free. That will be sustantially more than Sam is on at Blackburn.

He does not know what money he has to spend and he does not know whether this takeover will happen and he does not know whether the potential new regime would want him.

It is no wonder he is interested in Al Ahli or even Ali Piggin Baba.

He did NOT turn it down before. The job is still there and up for grabs.

I am sure - since those pieces were written last Sunday - that the rest of football is also now aware of his discontent at the current situation...I am equally sure that was one of the reasons the story was leaked...apart from the fact that the interest from Al Ahli in him is genuine.

Sorry to have a rant. But all this 'it's in the papers, don't believe it' crap does my head in.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 17:00 today. Note that nicko was active on the thread during this period as per below.

Sam Al-Ahlidyce

The Lancashire Telegraph are reporting that this may be the last chance for headline writers to do a cheap pun on Sam's link with the Dubai club. Note that it is a source allegedly close to Big Sam that is denying the link rather than Sam himself as the headline suggests.

Lancashire Telegraph, 1 July 2010

Blackburn Rovers boss says 'no' to Dubai

Kris Boyd

Reports of our interest in Kris Boyd have been rekindled in today's Lancashire Telegraph, with the suggestion that Rovers are about to make a move for a striker "by the weekend". Boyd and Piquionne are reportedly at the head of the wanted list.

Lancashire Telegraph, 1 July 2010

Rangers striker on Blackburn Rovers wanted list

nicko on transfer targets

Argie press has been on the Boselli to the EPL thing since January. Sunderland & Wigan were always in the mention--if Rovers were also on the hunt, we kept our interest on the 'down low'.

Rovers went to see him - but he was injured. They went back but by then the price was known and higher than the agent doing the deal for them had said.

Wigan paid a great deal for him, more than Rovers would have gone to.

Good player.

How come Wigan can afford a £6m striker and we can't?

Dave Whelan.

nicko is the LET article saying weve decided to try and get a striker after all and its Piquionne rubbish?

West Brom and now West Ham have taken an interest in Piquionne in the last few days. The price is down, his wages are not.

There won't be any signings at Rovers right now from what I hear...got to say it again, the takeover thing is jamming up the whole job.

Whether that is good news or bad news is very much down to what happens in the next few weeks.

Nicko,

Any idea who the trialists are going to be – I think you said you should know some names by the back end of this week...?

Cheers!

There is one here...I am trying to put a name to him. There will be at least one more joining the party in Austria.

These Kris Boyd rumours are growing but strange. He has been available for months and Rovers are supposedly finally moving for him.

Yes, it's cheap. But is it cheerful?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from 17:00 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko was active only briefly on the thread during this period but did not comment on Rovers-related matters.

Please note that there is no further news to report from the thread today.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 16:30 today. Note that nicko was rather active on the thread during this period as per below.

LT transfer target update

The Lancashire Telegraph are reporting that Big Sam has identified his main striker target, who is "understood to be in pre-season training at another club". The article also suggests Brazilian and former Boavista defender Rodrigo Araújo may have joined the Rovers at their training camp in Austria for a trial.

Lancashire Telegraph, 3 July 2010

Allardyce is close to solving striker dilemma at Blackburn Rovers

In response to the article, there were the following posts, the first of which may turn out to be an inspired piece of thinking.

The linked article was written by nicko on 20 June.

Finally something could happen on the Striker front, maybe Nicko will enlighten us further later.

[...]

I think the story is referring to Boyd...who will be signing for Middlesbrough.

From that LT Story.......

"Brazilian defender Rodrigo Araújo, formerly of Portuguese side Boavista, is understood to have linked up with the Rovers squad in Austria on trial"

[...]

I heard the boy who was over was obscure, just not THAT obscure.

Brazilian, 21 or 22, was at Boavista but hardly played. Went back home to a small side where he played for a year.

Hmm.

I believe they have started pre-season training at Rapid Vienna ;)

Note that Nikica Jelavić plays for Rapid Vienna.

more nicko stuff

I hear Kris Boyd is signing for a club next week.

NOT Rovers.

More a club at his level.

Joe Ledley is speaking to a club tonight...bit of a surprise one...

No great loss from a Rovers point of view.

[...]

KRIS BOYD...expects to sign for Middlesbrough over the weekend...no great loss.

JOE LEDLEY...in advanced contract talks with Celtic tonight.

No word on the Rovers trialists.

David O'Leary is due to meet Al Ahli shortly. Phil Brown has also met them. All too bizarre.

Has anyone spotted yet that they are all connected to this guy at Al Ahli called Mark Bell and most candidates seem to be pals with the agent Mike Morris.

Hey ho.

There followed some discussion of the performances of Annan and Gyan for Ghana at the World Cup and members questioned why Annan had not been brought in by Ince when Rovers were reported to be interested in him.

Just to clear a couple of things up.

ANNAN...was wanted during Mark Hughes's time but could not get a work permit...Ince sniffed around him when he came in but DID choose Andrews instead...to be fair, nobody else has taken him in the Premier League...he is a smashing little player but considered too small for the English game.

GYAN...was offered to many clubs when he was younger and is still very expensive...feel for the lad tonight and he could make it over here...he is about to change his agent...the significance of that will only be seen in the coming weeks.

FORLAN...the player of the tournament for me...how ironic...all the fannies who slagged him at Man U...terrific player, great guy.

TAKEOVER...hoping to find out more over the weekend...got to say most people 'around' the club are talking of when and not if...good news or bad news?...who knows...but anyone who says nothing is going on is talking out of their rear end.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 2

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from 16:30 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that during this period nicko was particularly active on the transfer and takeover threads and very briefly active on the Sam Allardyce thread. Today's digest is divided into two parts and has been edited to a minor degree for the purpose of clarity only.

Takeover talk

Nicko any idea which party has made the bid - is it the Indians/Thais or another? And expected time limit for due diligence? Also will there be a piece in the People tomorrow?

The Indian group is clearly 'in the lead' but there does not seem to be a bid or a due diligence stage yet.

However people in and around the club are talking about this process being on and potential time-scales.

On the football side, there certainly seems to be a wish to get new money in because the lack of funds right now is causing some distress.

On the 'trustee' side there is just the usual concern you have in these cases - 'is it going to come off?' and 'are we doing the right thing?'

Interesting article in the LET today that mentions the takeover and the myth around the club that the Trust were left strict criteria as to who they could sell the club to by the late Jack Walker. This doesn’t exist.

Plenty to look forward to at Blackburn Rovers

I said all along it was mythology.

What the trustees will worry about is the 'legacy.' But they employ Rothschilds to vet buyers...that should be enough.

This 'Jack's will' stuff has always been rot.

Found this when I was trying to track down the chap Chris Nathaniel for a piece in the Sunday People about the Indian takeover he is 'organising.'

Lost for words.

http://twitter.com/CNathaniel1

philipl then quoted verbatim these two tweets of Chris Nathaniel from the link provided by Cookiemonster (http://twitter.com/nvaent) along with his comment.

Begin discussions with Prem Lge team re proposed takeover and then off to Casting session this eve givin new talent the chance 2 shine

7:03 PM Jun 24th via UberTwitter

Out with indian football consortium showin them how we get dwn in Ldn n now getting back got an early start on dis ting 24/7 only way 2 win

4:06 AM Jun 23rd via UberTwitter

[...]

So Nathaniel says he started on 24 June?

Nathaniel and the Indians have been an item and working on this since March or April...

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 2

Transfer talk

Nicko - is the Croatia striker on a trial at Rovers? what are the odds of it being completed?

No, he would cost a reasonable amount of money.

I think he is the one Sam is 'talking' about just now.

But it would take more than talk to land him.

I'll say it again...no money will be spent until this takeover thing is resolved.

Looking at the odd trialist, maybe considering a Bosman or two. But I very much doubt that a fee or a big contract can be offered at this time.

Brownie then gave an early heads-up on a report in the Sunday Mirror that alleged Rovers were considering moving for Portsmouth striker David Nugent.

Mirror Football, 3 July 2010

Allardyce offers Pompey flop a Nu start

Surely not Nicko ?? Tomorrows Sunday Mirror

"Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce is ready to throw former England striker David Nugent a Lancashire lifeline.

Allardyce is poised to take on former club Bolton in a bid to take Portsmouth flop Nugent back to the county where he made his name with Preston North End."

Total garbage. It's a half-witted attempt by Portsmouth to scare Bolton into making a bid for him...

I am not questioning what you say as you speak a lot of sense but I'm surprised about the no money part after what the club has been saying in the last week or so (can't afford to wait any longer). Are they saying that to try and force this takeover a little quicker or to keep the fans happy?

There's nothing to be spent at the moment pending the outcome of the takeover.

That's one of the reasons why the manager took his extended 'break' in Dubai...he is fed up about chasing targets he can't land.

The Kris Boyd stuff in the local paper was simply not right - there has been NO fresh move for Piquionne.

There is some trialist from a Brazilian backwater in for training who would cost a few sweeties in wages - if he even signed - and that is it.

This whole takeover thing HAS to be resolved one way or another. I think the process is genuine but it badly needs a quick outcome.

That's another week of inaction. If I read 'business as usual' anywhere I may have to reach for my gun.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 15:00 today. Note that nicko was active on the takeover thread during this period.

Takeover talk

Discussion of Chris Nathaniel's Twitter posts continued briefly yesterday afternoon.

There's no way of verifying if the people behind those Twitter feeds are the actual people they are alleging to be...

They could be anybody in the World with the same name, or somebody assuming their identities on Twitter, you only have to look to the other weeks media cock-up when they thought that Apple were going to recall all the iPhone 4's due to somebody Tweeting as Steve Jobs, this wasn't the case and it certainly wasn't Steve Jobs.

Take Twitter feeds with a pinch of salt unless they can verify their identities on there.

That is Chris Nathaniel's site all right.

Who else would be hanging with the Indians in a London night spot at 5am...and want to pretend to be him?

Sheesh.

Nicko, Out of curiosity, do you know who the other interested parties are, who want to buy Rovers? If so, any reason why you cannot mention them by name?

What, in your opinion, is holding things up with the Indian interest? After all it does seem to be a long drawn out situation.

The Indian group have been leading this race for at least a week now.

I don't know why it takes so long, but it just does.

In the meantime there is deadlock elsewhere within the club re spending which is understandable but highly frustrating for all concerned at this time.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 2

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from 15:00 yesterday to 16:30 today. Note that nicko was active on both the transfer and takeover threads during this period. The takeover talk straddled the transfer and takeover threads and is arranged below in chronological order. Transfer talk follows in part 2 of today's digest.

Takeover talk

Hola Nicko.. you getting any hints as to timeframes for the takeover, seems this is more than a slightly serious bid and certainly a massive issue for us atm.. :(

If I got a fiver for every time I was asked that question I would be putting in a bid myself.

The recurring time frame mentioned is 'hopefully before the end of the window.'

That does not really help too much, but maybe it is as quick as can be expected with these things.

Why does it take so long?????

Apparently the movers and shakers have been busy.

http://twitter.com/nvaent ... last night's update is most intriguing.

The Thais who were sniffing around Rovers are about to buy another club...

So in the takeover chase it's the Indians on their own now.

How close would that be Nicko? I mean up until a couple of weeks ago weren't they still looking at Rovers.

They've been in talks to buy the said club for 2-3 months now (well before official dialogue with us).

The deals were independent of negotiations (Rovers and other club) from the outset. Different "investors" from within "same" consortium.

They were always going to buy that club irrespective of buying Rovers.

Should be finalized any day now.

NOT a Premiership club.

I think Bobby G has just answered that question very neatly.

It will be interesting to see the names and faces involved...

Some very odd links between the people behind the Thai team and some people on the fringe of the Rovers Indian group.

Can't work that out yet, but a big co-incidence or two here that will possibly be revealed in time.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 2

Kris Boyd

Reported Rovers target Kris Boyd has now signed for Middlesbrough on a free transfer.

Soccernet, 5 July 2010

Boyd seals Boro switch

Frederic Piquionne

nicko suggests that another reported Rovers target, Piquionne, is about to complete a transfer. According to Soccernet, the destination is West Ham United.

Piquionne signs for a Prem club tomorrow...not this parish!

Nikica Jelavic

nicko is reporting that Big Sam is hoping to put in a bid of £4million for the Rapid Vienna striker.

Mirror Football, 5 July 2010

Allardyce bidding to nik Jelavic

(thanks to bats for the link)

There's a good chance imo that Sam ghost wrote it! :lol: Am I getting warm Alan? ;)

Stone cold freezing, as it happens...

The manager and his scouts have done their job, which is identifying targets. Jelavic is right in the middle of the radar at the moment, has been for a couple of weeks after others slipped away from view.

However nothing can be done until [a] the manager is sure about the player and he has the money to buy him.

Still waiting on more word on the REAL big issue. The takeover. It is casting a shadow on everything else.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from 16:30 yesterday to 16:00 today. Note that nicko was active on both the transfer and takeover threads during this period as per below. Please also note that a degree of editing has been undertaken with regard to the posts below for ease of reading.

Transfer talk

Nicko something that I need you to clear up. First it says we will be getting Aristide Bance on loan with a view to a permanent deal, then yesterday you said in your Mirror article Jelavic is top of Sam's wish list. It seems every day someone new has gone to the top of his wish list. What exactly is the position? Tommorrow are we going to get another target move to the top of the wish list?

Please tell me if Sam fails with all his options. Please tell me that last comment about Benjani was a joke. Next I am fearing Beattie to shoot to the top of the list. Also has Sam decided who his top target is then 2nd, 3rd etc... Please tell me Benjani/Beattie are at the bottom of that list. Is there any news on signing Aristide Bance on loan?

Aristide Bance's agent is a guy called Saif Rubie who was Aruna Dindane's agent...and we all know what happened there.

I understand that Jalevic is the player Rovers are taking the biggest interest in at the moment, checking whether he is worth the fee on his head.

Both players cost money. So I think they come into the 'watch' category just now. But I believe Jalevic is more likely than one of Rubie, Rubie, Rubie, Rubie's.

LT on the takeover

The Lancashire Telegraph interviewed Saurin Shah yesterday regarding the current state of takeover negotiations.

Lancashire Telegraph, 7 July 2010

Blackburn legend Parkes urges fans to trust club over takeover

nicko on the takeover

Just a couple of things on the Indians [if they find the money for a takeover].

I understand India want to stage the World Cup in the next decade or two, so anyone who is seen as India's leading football 'name' would become a very influential and wealthy figure. I believe that is one of the reasons why they want a club to buy and develop.

And if ANYONE buys a club it is with the idea of making it work...unless you are a money launderer and it doesn't matter. To be fair, I don't think there is anything 'dodgy' about this lot in that regard.

Mr Nixon,

Are you saying that they don't have the actual money to buy the club?

I'm not saying that. But until the 'bid' is at the right figure then they won't get anywhere.

But I don't think they would be doing what they have been doing unless they thought [a] they could fund the deal and it was part of a long-term plan that made sense.

Some buyers of Premier League clubs recently have done it for strange reasons, dodging a bullet, staying out of jail, hiding money. To be fair, I don't think that is the case with the Indians.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 14:30 today. Note that nicko was active on the transfer thread during this period as per below. Please also note that the next digest will be on Saturday.

Dan Gosling and Matt Taylor

nicko's response to news that Everton's Dan Gosling is to become a free agent and that Rovers are interested in Bolton's Matt Taylor:

GOSLING...five Premier clubs now in...Rovers not among them...probably understandable at this time.

TAYLOR...no approach to Bolton...phony story trying to spark interest.

[...]

Nicko, how do some of these second-rate journalists link a certain player with a certain team? Pin and league table job?? Or maybe it has more to do with touting agent propaganda in exchange for better stories?

I think you will find that skysports.com is quite a regular place for players to be linked just to get tongues wagging...you would think it was pretty transparent by now...but, then again, we are sitting here and talking about it.

If you read through the lines Taylor thinks he will be off after Petrov's signing.

Nicko, is Man Utd one of the clubs that are looking at Gosling. I might be wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that Fergie fancied him as a player.

No, definitely not.

The lad says he wants to play - and in his preferred central midfield position - so it would be a pointless one for both sides.

Gosling - likely clubs...Villa, Wolves, Sunderland, Newcastle, West Ham - as a random guess! How many of them Nicko?

The final three are correct.

You must be a Mirror reader. ;)

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 2

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from 14:30 on Thursday to 17:00 today. Note that nicko was active on the transfer thread during this period as per below.

Takeover talk

Kamy100 has managed to contact Saurin Shah, the Indian fronting the takeover bid, and reports having set up an interview for the site.

Have talked to Saurin Shah, just verifying it is actually him and then hopeful of getting a "on the record" exclusive interview for this website very soon.

Conversation was brief, he wanted to know who I was and about this site. When I told him about this site, he was very interested in giving a interview, I told him that the interview would have to be "on the record". No doubt he or his advisors will be checking this site from now on.

Dan Gosling

There has been Rovers interest in Gosling...but there have been about five or six clubs in for him on top of the original three.

Yes, the eight to nine-club rule is born.

[...]

Would Sam be allowed to sign him, given the nothing doing comments?

Gosling on nothing but a wage is attractive for anyone. That would not interfere with any of the current 'discussions' going on.

This should be resolved one way or another within a day or so.

Lamine Koné

unleaded has posted on Rovers' apparent interest in young French right-sided player Lamine Koné.

[image omitted]

Latest is that Rovers are keeping tabs and are very keen on Lamine Koné of French club Chateauroux...............The exciting rightback/right winger is a strong well built player who has already played international football with France.......he was all set to come over for trials but everything has been put on hold whilst the striker situation is sorted out..........He looks the real deal to me and is an ideal Big Sam footballer..........snap him up......

[YouTube link omitted]

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 2

More transfer talk

The Lancashire Telegraph suggested that Rovers might be interested in Mexican pair Dos Santos and Guardado.

Checked the Dos Santos thing...his agent has far bigger plans for him...thinks he can move him to La Liga.

Did not check Guardado because that is about as daft as it gets.

Nicko, are we due any conversations with Jelavic seeing the Rovers squad and Sam is in Austria?

I don't know how far that one has gone - or can go at the moment. But he is definitely on the 'hot' list if money becomes available.

By the way, to suggest it is 'business as usual' during this current time is burying heads in the sand.

It is July 9 and NOT a signing made.

[...]

Every transfer window is the same, we move slowly and quietly but it all comes together before the window closes.

Tell me the last window when Rovers had NO signings made by July 9?

In the meantime I will get the sand. :lol:

Makes a change dunnit?

I mean not one of our `Superstars` has been linked with a move to Man City/Liverpool/Chelsea/West Ham etc etc.

JW must have stopped putting them dratted Clauses in the contracts!

Either that or there are no superstars left to sell.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from 17:00 yesterday to 14:30 today. Note that nicko has not been active on the board during this period.

Please note that there is no further news to report from the thread today.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from 14:30 yesterday to 15:30 today. Note that nicko has been particularly active on the transfer thread and also posted very briefly on the takeover thread during this period.

Transfer talk

John posted a couple of links and asked the question "3 club rule....?" in reference to the teamtalk.com article that quoted the News Of The World as reporting that Rovers, Bolton and Newcastle were tracking Wolves midfielder David Jones. Meanwhile, uk.eurosport.yahoo.com reported that The Star was claiming that Rovers were priced out of a deal to sign Raul.

I don't see three clubs being interested in Jones...not been the same since he left The Monkees.

Raul thing would be accurate. Not sure it went as far as Guti though.

Ilan

Celtic and Bolton were closely linked to Ilan, have they dropped their interest?

Just read Coyle ruled it out...

Ilan has been offered around by an agent for the past few weeks. Bolton were never interested, not sure about Celtic. There seems to be a glimmer of interest from Rovers...if he wants to come for a 'test' that might move it along a bit more.

Fernando Morientes

Nicko, was there anything in us looking at Morientes?

I have not heard that, but I would not dismiss anything just now.

If there is no money then anyone free could turn up.

If there is a takeover or the Trustees get their hands in their pockets then things may change.

Dan Gosling

Gosling signed for Newcastle United today.

Rovers had a try for him but not enough. That's not really a criticism.

Newcastle were the only club willing to sign Gosling today which was - for some bizarre reason - the deadline imposed by the Gosling camp.

Hey ho.

Move on.

Transfer activity

[...]

It is July 9 and NOT a signing made.

True, but 12 / 20 have made 0 or 1 signing so we're not alone in having a slow window.

0: Villa, Brum, B'pool, Rovers.

1: Chelsea, Everton, Fulham, L'pool, Newcastle, Stoke, Wham, Wigan.

http://www.skysports.com/football/transfers/0,20367,11660,00.html

It's not time to panic just yet...

That must be one crap table...Birmingham have signed Zigic...Wigan have signed two...Everton have signed two at least...so many inaccuracies.

The point is Rovers had a chance to plan for signings since getting safe [late February?] and because of the off-field situation no-one has arrived.

A chance missed.

Dos Santos

And, finally, word from the horse's mouth:

According to Sam yesterday we are not interested in dos santos. Didn't give any other snippets just told us to get beers.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from 15:30 yesterday to 16:00 today. Note that nicko has not been active on the transfer thread during this period.

LT transfer update

According to the Lancashire Telegraph, Big Sam "looks set to step up his striker search in the next few days after discussing his options in the transfer market with the Rovers board this week".

Lancashire Telegraph, 13 July 2010

Blackburn striker Kalinic loved Austrian boot camp 'hell'

(thanks to Hughesy for the alert)

Luka Krajnc

The Mail Online is reporting that 15-year-old NK Maribor centre half Luka Krajnc is interesting the Rovers.

Mail Online, 12 July 2010

Blackburn ready to beat off Inter and AC Milan for Slovenia teenage prodigy Luka Krajnc

(thanks to smoss for the link)

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 4

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 16:00 today. Note that nicko has been extremely active on the transfer thread and also active on the takeover thread during this period.

Much of the discussion revolves around this morning's report in the Lancashire Telegraph, which is linked below. Please note that a minor degree of editing has been undertaken for ease of reading.

LT transfer update

The Lancashire Telegraph reports on transfer strategy and the impact of takeover negotiations in the wake of yesterday's board meeting. John Williams is quoted in the article as saying "In the event of a successful sale, and money being made available, we do have a list of players available in the back of our minds." This ties in with assertions by the LT on 14 June that the Rovers have an alternative set of transfer targets lined up in case a takeover of the club goes through before the close of the transfer window. The LT headline on that day was a rather familiar "Business as usual for Blackburn Rovers boss".

Lancashire Telegraph, 14 July 2010

It's business as usual for Rovers chief Williams

(thanks to Kamy100 for the alert)

nicko chat (1)

Discussion from yesterday afternoon and evening.

The latest I hear is that strikers [plural] are being watched right now and in the next few weeks...

In the hope there will be some money to spend.

So it's a wait and see job.

do you know who they are? [...] Jelavic?

He is one.

Don't want to bombard you with questions Alan, but to your knowledge, is there any new names floating around?

Jelavic is obviously one being closely watched just now. I hear Ilan may come on trial if he swallows some pride. There are a couple of others in Europe who will be studied in the next few weeks. There are a couple of fall backs who you could always turn to as well.

It is pretty fluid just now by the sound and feel of it.

Has the board meeting today given him the go ahead to start making moves again then?

Heard anything more on the takeover?

I do get a little bit of feedback that there may - and I stress 'may' - be a cut-off point on this Indian takeover move.

That could tie in with the previous quotes from that group about 'six week' time-scales.

You would imagine that this state of stagnation cannot go on throughout the window.

Either the Indians make a bid by a certain date or the whole thing is off - and perhaps some money gets spent.

Just a hunch with a bit of insight, but it fits and makes sense.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #2 of 4

nicko chat (2)

A late night prod from Ewood and I Would got nicko off to an early start this morning on the "Business [not] as usual" theme. Note that further discussion of transfer dealings from 2008 from the thread has not been included in the digest.

Tell me the last window when Rovers had NO signings made by July 9?

In the meantime I will get the sand. :lol:

Two years ago, Paul Robinson was our first signing on 27th July 2008.

If only it had been a really long time, your sarcasm would have been merited. Better luck next time :rolleyes:

[...]

Two years ago Paul Ince was appointed at the end of June.

Within days he had set up deals for Villanueva and the Ecuadorian midfielder who came on trial for a day and headed off to sign for Everton.

He had also set up a deal for Paul Robinson and that was only a matter of waiting for Brad Friedel to be sold...although he and a few others denied this at the time.

Two years ago was a lot livelier than this summer which has seen one unknown Brazilian centre half play as a striker for the reserves.

Of course there is no transfer freeze... :lol:

Who to believe? Jw or the gossip columnist?

Could be worse, could be bolton who we will finish above. Again

Believe the evidence. No players.

Believe the comments of the manager months ago about the need to sign players before the World Cup or more recently the need to conclude the takeover business to let him get some players in.

Believe what you want.

I have just read the John Williams interview...have to say it all sounds right to me...

“Obviously we are aware of fresh impetus with regards the potential sale of the club, with at least one potential new buyer being identified.

“In the event of a successful sale, and money being made available, we do have a list of players available in the back of our minds.

“But in the meantime we have a job of work to do and we are not allowing any talk regarding potential new ownership put us off that.

“We will continue to go on as we are and we are still weighing up different options we have available to us.”

So...there IS a possible takeover...that would mean money for players...in the meantime we are all waiting for that to happen and have not decided whether to blow the 'budget.'

Business as usual? I don't think so. There has not been a disruptive influence like this on the transfer market at Rovers before.

Whilst I agree with this statement, what worries me is that if the takeover falls through or it's not completed in time for this window, we are left desperately thin on strikers. I would much rather we brought in someone now with the budget we have than risk getting nobody. Plus if we leave it any later, clubs will not want to part with players so close to the season starting, we could find ourselves being held to ransom.

There HAS to be a cut-off point surely.

I suspect that 'six-week' thing mentioned by Shah recently is probably right.

Nobody buying the club would want it to run past the transfer window...horrible way to start.

And the current regime could not let a season start with this doubt about.

I think the cut-off point will probably be in the next week to ten days. If there is no bid by then, it will probably be shelved for the window.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #3 of 4

nicko chat (3)

Having read the LT article, nicko continued the discussion giving his angle on events, with RevidgeBlue weighing in with an alternative view.

I have just read the John Williams interview...have to say it all sounds right to me...

“Obviously we are aware of fresh impetus with regards the potential sale of the club, with at least one potential new buyer being identified.

“In the event of a successful sale, and money being made available, we do have a list of players available in the back of our minds.

“But in the meantime we have a job of work to do and we are not allowing any talk regarding potential new ownership put us off that.

“We will continue to go on as we are and we are still weighing up different options we have available to us.”

So...there IS a possible takeover...that would mean money for players...in the meantime we are all waiting for that to happen and have not decided whether to blow the 'budget.'

Business as usual? I don't think so. There has not been a disruptive influence like this on the transfer market at Rovers before.

Not wanting to cause an argument but you have been selective with your snippets there and the general thrust of today's LT article is in fact exactly the opposite.

In it JW states it is very much "Business as usual" irrespective of the takeover situation.

The article states that the dilemma we face is whether to blow our whopping 2.5m budget now or hang on a bit in the hope we might be able to offload a couple of fringe players which would give us a bit of extra spending power.

Of course whether you believe that is a different matter entirely but that's the official line being taken by the club.

[...]

I think the cut-off point will probably be in the next week to ten days. If there is no bid by then, it will probably be shelved for the window.

Been away, but why do you say there hasn't been a bid? The LT says it understands that "no bid has been accepted".

At a guess, I suspect a bid was lodged, but the trustees see no reason to accept or decline, until all the relevant details are/were aired.

[...]

You don't make an actual written bid until you know exactly what it is you are buying...but they are currently talking about buying.

Not wanting to cause an argument but you have been selective with your snippets there and the general thrust of today's LT article is in fact exactly the opposite.

In it JW states it is very much "Business as usual" irrespective of the takeover situation.

The article states that the dilemma we face is whether to blow our whopping 2.5m budget now or hang on a bit in the hope we might be able to offload a couple of fringe players which would give us a bit of extra spending power.

Of course whether you believe that is a different matter entirely but that's the official line being taken by the club.

I think you might want to look at the actual quotes. The chairman is in an awkward position because of these takeover talkers. He admits that they have two strategies. One would mean money and better signings, the other would mean what we have just now...nothing doing.

That is not 'business as usual' in anyone's language. It is 'business as unusual' as many watchers have observed for years. You have NOT had anyone in talks at this level and at this delicate stage of the year in the past couple of decades.

so what have these guys done Nicko? 1st you hear that a bid has been sent via fax, then you hear no bid has been made. Dont you need paper in order to send a fax, in that case that must have been a written bid. Signed, Sealed, and waiting to be delivered. ;)

I think they have been in talks with Rovers for over a month - maybe even over two months. It got serious about four-five weeks ago and what they could - and I stress could - have sent was a letter stating that they were interested in buying the club. Since then both sides have been checking each other out.

There is a lot involved in buying Rovers. As someone mentioned on another thread, one major factor is the training ground and (1) what you can do with it and (2) what money could you make on it.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #4 of 4

nicko chat (4)

The final bit of chat for today's digest comes from the takeover thread and a discussion between nicko and philipl, with comparisons being drawn with the failed bid of the Dan Williams consortium in the summer of 2008.

Whether or not player targets are being discussed is a very moot point.

The involvement of Chrs Nthnl in the Saurin group might suggest that he would like to get hold of Rovers' buying policy to the benefit of his own clients- watch for Ussain Bolt turning up at Ewood!

However, John Williams was remarkably silent when the Dan Williams bid hit the press (the reason being, the Trust had already rejected it before the story broke and Dan Williams was probably using the press to build pressure in his favour) whereas now we have had two if not three references from the club publicly to there being "serious interest".

[...]

You are normally pretty well-informed but on that subject you don't half talk some rot.

Williams and his Plainfield mob were STILL in talks with Rovers at the time of the Sunday People article. They came in for a meeting in London the week after but everyone got edgy because the story got out.

Rovers only confirmed the existence of that potential takeover move AFTER the People story appeared.

I assume they were telling the truth.

As far as I know, Shah went on record as saying a bid was faxed to the club on 12 June. Some are saying it was not accepted but something substantive is continuing although I think there is at least one enormous fundamental question mark over how much money they really have.

There appear to have been two other cases (I am not counting Shah in this) now of bidding processes which were to all practical intent and purposes dead yet conversations continued for as much as months afterwards. This strikes me as strange to say the least- whether it is a case of the Trust giving potential bidders every chance to put something together that might work or the bidders not taking no for an answer I don't know.

I am sticking to my guns, the Dan Williams bid had been rejected before it ever became public knowledge and yes I am well informed on that one.

Chris Ronnie at least seemed to leave the scene when his bid had been rejected.

So when Rovers confirmed an approach the day after the Sunday People story came out they were lying???

And there were no further meetings?

From memory Dan Williams pulled the plug about three-four months later because his backers [plural] got cold feet.

Anyway. It's history.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Afternoon update #1 of 1

Transfer digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from 16:00 yesterday to 16:00 today. Note that nicko has been quite active on the transfer thread during this period.

LT update

Note that the LT website has amended its headline for yesterday's article from "It's business as usual for Rovers chief Williams" to "Blackburn Rovers chairman: No transfer freeze". The content remains the same, however.

Andranik Teymourian

The Lancashire Telegraph is reporting that former Bolton midfielder Andranik Teymourian has been given a trial at the Rovers.

Lancashire Telegraph, 15 July 2010

Iranian midfielder gets Blackburn Rovers trial

(thanks to Kamy100 for the alert)

Jason Roberts

nicko's article suggests that Jason might be surplus to requirements if a bid comes in for him.

Mirror Football, 14 July 2010

Blackburn ready to cash in on Roberts

(thanks to Hughesy for the link)

Sam quotes

Sam is quoted from an interview with Sky Sports News in which he briefly mentioned the need for the board to back him in his search for further striking options.

Sky Sports, 15 July 2010

Allardyce targets goal-getter: Rovers boss sees prolific striker as key to improvement

(thanks to John for the link)

nicko chat

nicko has more news on two more targets. In response to AJW's question, he indicated that they are both foreign and based overseas.

Not sure of the significance of this...but just found out there are two players due to come in on trial AFTER Australia.

Possibly because you can't get a visa in a hurry.

Or maybe the whole picture will be clearer re finance in that time-scale.

Teymourian on trial? Did someone say 'business as usual?'

[...]

I know you won't name them, but in your opinion are they worth looking at????

One is for the squad...cheap.

The other would be a starter...not a silly price. However, too much at the moment.

[...]

Sorry to bombard with questions Nicko but any chance you could tell us what positions they play? Both strikers? I assume the 'starter' could well be a striker if we have to pay a price for him.

One is a keeper and one is a striker.

Nicko,

Can we play the Mr X guessing game again with these two????

Might cheer one or two of us up.

Not yet.

So a replacement for Robbo and a back up striker?????? :lol:

Is it Klose??

Nowhere near... ;)

Are we there yet???

Did they play/go at/to the world cup?

Nowhere near again.

The keeper is young, the striker is mid-20s but quite good.

Both are so obscure that even unleaded won't get their names.

Archived