BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Digest And Links (Summer 2010)

Guest Wen Y Hu

Transfer and takeover digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 20 6;00am - Aug 21 7;00am

There were no posts by nicko.

Any comments should be confined to the relevant threads - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

Starting with the Rovers sold thread

kamy Posted Yesterday, 11:01 AM

A little update, have been informed that Mr Ali nor his team will not be making any further public comment on the take over. This is due to the huge media interest and the speculation (I assume the Beckham quote taken out of context) which have cause the due diligence process to be disturbed.

They are now going to concentrate on completing the due diligence process and comment once the process has ended.

kamy Posted Yesterday, 11:24 AM

A very good move. I think that they have learnt very quickly that buying a football club is unlike any other deal that they have done in the past, in terms of the media interest that it will generate.

They were doing fine until Mr Ali started to talk and reveal far to much detail. I suspect that Rovers would not have been happy about stuff like transfer budgets etc being discussed before the deal is concluded, it's not the way that Rovers like to do business.

Great stuff from Chris Samba in the LT

Onto Transfers:

rovers_rob Posted Yesterday, 04:08 PM

Paul Plunkett on twitter :

Spoken to Blackburn. They have no interest in bringing in Fulham's Jonathan Greening as reported this morning

Renewed QPR bid to sign Jason Roberts

There are strong indications that Jason Roberts has now left Rovers whilst Popov is back in Bulgaria and Irek the cat is trying to give you some transfer digest as well because he is standing on the keyboard....

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Transfer and takeover digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 21 7;00am - Aug 22 6;30am

There were no posts by nicko.

Any comments should be confined to the relevant threads - DO NOT POST THEM HERE!

Starting with the Rovers sold thread

Ricky Posted Yesterday, 08:12 PM

The fans were singing mr syeds name today. Quite a few renditions of ali, ali syed which I think went to the tune of daddy, daddy cool..... As random as it sounds it did actually fit.

This is an extremely revealing column by Sam in the NOTW- worth reading right to the end about what happened at Bolton

On to the Transfers thread:

philipl Posted Yesterday, 10:07 AM

Paul Plunkett tweets Colombian striker Edixon Perea arrived for Blackburn trial today.

Marrow to Palace on loan.

LT round-up of current transfer possibilities

Transfer and takeover digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 22 6;30am - Aug 22 7;50am

Starting with transfers and a welcome return from nicko:

football365 link

nicko Posted Yesterday, 07:01 PM

Had a couple of days off on domestic duties...and for a thought or two.

If you argue too long with an idiot you turn into one yourself.

And who has gone 'off the boil' in this window? Keep count and my kills score has just reached 66...as opposed to 1.

Just to clear a couple up.

Greening was contacted on Thursday by a Rovers 'source' and asked if he fancied a loan move. He does. Fulham won't let him go until they sign someone else for his role. They would like Eidur Gudjohnsen but cannot agree to the deal.

Reo-Coker was contacted three weeks ago. How else would his camp know about it and someone round here have heard the same? What's in it for him to be linked to Rovers? Get real.

Anyway, the LET are after their latest phantom striker or pregnancy, so good luck with that.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 07:54 PM

chaddyrovers, on 22 August 2010 - 19:41 PM, said:

Nicko, are rovers any closer to signing a striker? jo or caicedo?

I know there were a couple of new names bouncing around at the weekend, but even one of them has probably hit the skids. I won't be going into details as it will only add to the tale of woe.

Jo is still available and as nobody has bought him that could always be an option - in some shape or size.

Caicedo was due to join West Ham until a mysterious problem. His agent is telling people he has another Premier League club. However his agent was doing the Dindane deal, so I would suspect Rovers won't be beating a path to his door.

You need to get rid of Jason Roberts to free up some cash...and that won't be happening at the ridiculous cost of it.*

*Wait for that to be denied by the apologists.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 08:37 PM

Ricky, on 22 August 2010 - 20:24 PM, said:

Nicko, one of the west ham fans who frequents the board believed that the caicedo deal fell through as they are getting ferrera on loan from Chelsea so they had used their domestic loans as ben haim is also on loan.

No idea if it's true or not. But we really should be all over the caicedo deal.

Ben Haim is on loan from a Championship club, so that shouldn't be an issue unless the rules have changed again.

Why would Chelsea let them have Ferreira? Very odd.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 10:53 PM

POPOV - got to say it's significant that he hasn't played today...Litex Lovech think they have a deal...by the way that story was broken by the Bulgarians as you would expect when their skipper and star man comes to Blackburn and thunks he has a move...

ROBERTS - Rovers want £1 million and he is on £33,000-a-week basic...ludicrous.

QUIET WINDOW - not really the case elsewhere, but the worst in Rovers memory...one loan signing...Diouf, which I should point out was a story broken by Sir Alex Ferguson...Teymourian came and went as did many others...the 'business as usual' period a while back seriously damaged your chances here...you will sign a striker and a midfielder before the window shuts but nobody could say for sure who that would be mainly because the club has no clear idea itself...Benjani is not just a 'last dance at the disco' job more a 'desperate grab at the taxi rank' case as he could sign AFTER the window shuts because he is a free...just checked his arrival was first revealed in an 11 o'clocker on May 21...must be slipping...

ADEBAYOR - will be playing beside David Beckham.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:47 PM

hollowsr, on 22 August 2010 - 23:02 PM, said:

Could we actually sign Benjani after the window shuts Nicko? I mean in terms of the 25 man squad registration etc!

Now that is an interesting point...you would have to have a clear space left...although I wonder if this whole 25-man squad thing is legally enforceable when it comes to it.

The reason 'free agents' can join clubs outside windows is because they cannpt be denied the right to work.

And yet a 25-man squad does deny people the right to work.

You may just have created a monster with that.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:51 PM

sam_rovers, on 22 August 2010 - 23:12 PM, said:

Roberts on 33K? wasn't he our 3rd choice striker when we signed him/gave him a new contract?

To be fair, it was what was needed to get him to sign...at the time.

Mr. E, on 22 August 2010 - 23:48 PM, said:

ludicrous as in what? it's too much?

when's the last time a 1st team (or nearly first team) Premiership striker, who despite his faults brings a lot of energy and power to the team, went for under 1 million?

It is way too much. You have a player who does not have a squad number and is bombed out totally.

But you want a silly fee for him.

And if you don't get it he will be paid £33k-a-week for sitting on his ass.

The game has gone mad. You don't have exclusive rights on that kind of stupidity, but the fee is stopping him leaving.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:59 PM

AggyBlue, on 22 August 2010 - 23:57 PM, said:

We'll end up giving Roberts a free before the window shuts.

At least it will save 33k a week.

I wish it was that easy. He is owed around £1.2m in wages for the last nine months of his deal. How much of that will he want before he goes...don't blame him either.

on the Rovers sold:

kamy Posted Yesterday, 07:25 PM

Mr Ali's people have said that they will not be making further comment to the media and are concentrating on getting the due diligence completed.

They are still very much looking at purchasing Rovers, I suspect that things got a little out of control last week with all the coverage of Mr Ali's comments. I also think that he was being over optimistic by saying that this could be completed quickly, we won't hear anything further until the deal has been complete or if Mr Ali decides not to purchase Rovers.

nicko posted:

I won't be commenting on takeovers. Ta all the same.

Transfer and takeover digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 23 7;50am - Aug 24 7;10am

LT link- Sam says n quick fix to striker problem

Football365 link with Sam quotes- doesn't want to do business after Friday

kamy Posted Yesterday, 01:05 PM

I think that if the 31st falls on a Sunday or even the weekend then it switches to Monday.

This is the first time that when the 31st has been on a working day that the window will shut at 6pm rather than midnight!

Sky link to Mahamadou Diarra

Guardian link on Popov

Talksport link on Duschler

Balwer Posted Yesterday, 04:28 PM

Paul Plunkett mentions the Diarra link on twitter:

Blackburn Rovers linked with a £6m swoop for Real Madrid midfielder Diarra. No 1: They don't have £6m. No2: They don't need a midfielder

Got to say I disagree with No2 there Paul...

Allafrica link on Benjani

Daily Star link with Sam quotes says Roberts will play for Rovers if not transferred

On the Popov thread-

mhead Posted Yesterday, 02:26 PM

At the moment I am in Sofia in Bulgaria and the latest news re Popov is interesting:

-firstly he did not play this weekend(a la Schwarzer of Fulham?)

-secondly newspaper reports here say that BFS does want to buy him and its the price and the 'add-ons' that the delay is about

Maybe we will sign him before he plays at Wembley after all.

The phrase here is "Da,da ama ne" which roughly translates as 'yes to your face,yes when you check and then a sneaky no"

Lets hope in this case it is "Da ne ama da". And its 35 deg Centigrade here and hasn't rained for a month.Happy days!

Ian57 Posted Yesterday, 08:53 PM

Tonight on radio lancs, Sam said he was impressed with Popov and the club ARE in negotiations to buy him.

On the Rovers Sold thread-

47er Posted Yesterday, 12:34 AM

Sam has made several references to the takeover in the media. He wouldn't even touch the subject unless he was confident it would go through.

Sam Wallace comment in the Independent

philipl Posted Yesterday, 09:17 AM

In fairness to Ahsan Ali Syed, every pronouncement he has made has set paying off the club's debt as first priority.

kamy Posted Yesterday, 01:03 PM

People need to just relax a little bit. I have been in contact with Mr Ali's people this morning, I can't reveal what they said because of the media blackout that they have imposed, other than then the due diligence process in ongoing. The deal has not hit the buffers. They are of a view that at this stage "actions are stronger than words".

Remember this could go on for four weeks, just because there is no media comment does not mean that there are problems.

Transfer and takeover digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 24 7;10am - Aug 25 6;20am

nicko Posted Yesterday, 08:53 AM

The West Ham Caicedo collapsed transfer excuse is full of holes.

If you bring in a player from abroad on loan it is counted as an 'international transfer' and not a loan...

I think it fell down over terms rather than anything else.

His agent was putting him elsewhere as of Friday.

You could be interested.

Right now it looks like Popov and Benjani, but clearly if you can get a better version of Benjani - big, strong and quick - it would tick the boxes.

Popov's delay sounds down to details over price, but surely that can be done.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 09:20 AM

mickbrown, on 24 August 2010 - 09:10 AM, said:

Brady explained why the transfer broke down in her column, the agent wanted more for himself that what the fee was.

Now that I can believe.

Iceman, on 24 August 2010 - 08:57 AM, said:

Any idea why there would be an issue with the asking price for Popov? The litex Lovech website claimed, that a 1.5mill deal had been agreed between the 2 clubs.

There is aklways haggling over small details like method and speed of payment, extras, agent's fees, wages etc.

Sounds like the boy impressed the manager in his short stay and he wants him.

So now it's over to the number crunchers.

Mind you, we have been down this road before many times of late.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 10:44 AM

I am sure Caicedo's agent has Sam's number on speed dial...after the Dindane affair...not sure the calls will be taken though.

I have to say the manager has been coming out with a lot of sound sense lately about transfer markets and targets.

football 365 link referred to by nicko

Dailyrover link to Kenny Miller

Balwer Posted Yesterday, 02:58 PM

MikeB, on 24 August 2010 - 14:46 PM, said:

Guys. please don't shoot me for this if it's wrong but an office based source at Ewood (reliability 50/50 in the past) has told me that Popov flies in tomorrow as deal agreed!

http://bit.ly/9YF44w

The fate of the captain of FC Ivelin Popov will become clear until Thursday. This was announced in front of Topsport "president" orange "Trifon Popov." Until Thursday it will become clear whether Ivelin Popov will go with Blackburn Rovers. Even if everything about the transfer in the English club to develop in a positive direction, he can play against Debrecen "said Popov." This can not happen only if the English decide to call him immediately to the island.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 04:35 PM

Just a bit of an update...you definitely want TWO strikers or forwards to be more precise.

Popov is on, but is seen as one to come through rather than go straight into the side.

But there is a move on for a more ready-made player. Names getting tossed into the hat and still being watched.

Benjani remains the 'back stop' if all else fails.

Another thing is sure - nobody expects any extra money before the window shuts.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 05:08 PM

Taggart, on 24 August 2010 - 16:41 PM, said:

presume the 11 O`clocker may be making a return this evening ?

That was it.

Balwer, on 24 August 2010 - 16:43 PM, said:

any idea on cost of the ready-made striker, assuming Popov costs £1.5m? Would money be coming only if Roberts or others were to leave?

There are a couple of loans or loan-with-a-views getting a mention...from other countries.

If Roberts went - and that is one almighty if - then there would be money. But nobody is expecting Christmas to come early on that one.

The figures quoted last week - £750,000 plus £250,000 in add-ons as well as £33,000-a-week wages still apply.

MikeB Posted Yesterday, 05:15 PM

If Nicko is correct, suggest we will end-up with someone nobody has mentioned.

I've mentioned Akpala over the last two days and one of my clients has got £50 on at very nice odds (loan or permanent) - he's not without, however, he doesn't throw his money about wildly!

Watch this space !

nicko Posted Yesterday, 05:51 PM

FRANCO [THE MEXICAN ONE] - is due to join Wigan on a one-year deal today...decent business.

PEREA - no idea how he has done but the fact that you are still chasing other forwards may tell its own story.

VAUGHAN - found out why he won't be going anywhere fast...Everton want £15,000-a-week to loan him and a fee of £1.5 million or so with the player wanting £20,000-a-week in wages if he goes anwyhere full-time...somebody may do it on deadline day though.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 06:59 PM

whalleyrover, on 24 August 2010 - 18:34 PM, said:

What about Eidur Gudjonnson on loan?

That one was considered recently, but he has his sights on something more glamorous...and in London. He may change his mind. But he may also be too late.

Tim southamptonrover Posted Yesterday, 07:55 PM

CryerRovers via Twitter

Popov is definitely under serious consideration. Benjani is doing well from what I understand.Perea not sure anything will happen

On the Rovers might have been sold thread-

philipl Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:07 PM

PAFELL, on 23 August 2010 - 12:02 PM, said:

Interesting to know why the club have left the door open for other people to talk to them about a takeover.

The club is in the fortunate position of having at least two bidders and until the ink is dry it is best not to burn all bridges when there is no need to.

There is very considerable exclusivity given to Mr Ali's team- nobody can look at the books and nobody can submit an offer during the four weeks. Being practical, that is all the exclusivity they need if they are confident of having a winning position which I would be in their shoes.

kamy Posted 23 August 2010 - 13:03 PM

People need to just relax a little bit. I have been in contact with Mr Ali's people this morning, I can't reveal what they said because of the media blackout that they have imposed, other than then the due diligence process in ongoing. The deal has not hit the buffers. They are of a view that at this stage "actions are stronger than words".

Remember this could go on for four weeks, just because there is no media comment does not mean that there are problems.

den Posted Yesterday, 11:10 PM

Ignore 'em all brfcrule.

Anyway, Sam was interviewed on Radio Rovers pre-match. Straight away he was asked about the takeover. He said that there are/were recently three interested parties. Of these three, Syed had taken it as far as he has. He found the prospect of investment exciting, but added that it would be "well after the window was closed" before any cash would be available, if indeed this takeover was to go through.

Now then, the thing I take from this, is that this interview wouldn't have been just off the cuff, - the club would have OK'd this interview with Sam. So I assume that the talks with Syed are indeed still ongoing.

Transfer and takeover digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 25 6;20am - Aug 26 6;15am

clint Posted Yesterday, 09:40 AM

Swedish media (SVT which I think is quite reliable) says Blackburn have bid for Denni Avdic.

svt link

philipl Posted Yesterday, 09:48 AM

Google translate produced:

Avdic about to leave Elfsborg

Published August 25, 2010 - 10:01

Updated August 25, 2010 - 10:31

Denni Avdic is moving away from Elfsborg. Blackburn and Bologna have bid for Swedish Allsvenskan top scorer.

"We have discussions with some clubs now, confirms Elfsborg club cheif Stefan Andreasson for Boras Tidning.

Avdic agent Jonas Svensson confirms interest in Avdic, leading the league with shooting his 17 goals:

-Elfsborg have received two bids, so it is. As the results are difficult to answer.

Chievo and Werder Bremen are other clubs to follow Avdic in place when Elfsborg face Napoli in the morning.

About to leave Elfsborg

Denni Avdic is moving away from Elfsborg. Blackburn and Bologna bid for Swedish Allsvenskan top scorer. Although Werder Bremen and Chieve reported to be interested in the 21-year-old.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 09:59 AM

PEREA - won't be signing...has an injury...poor on trial...may even be with a Championship club on trial already.

POPOV - agent at the game last night...sorting out fine-print figures by the sound of it.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 10:09 AM

Taggart, on 25 August 2010 - 10:06 AM, said:

Nice - what do we know about Popov BTW - tall, fast, good in the air, good with his feet, tricky, powerful, can finish ? Or is all that wishful thinking :-)

Talented player, nice skills, sees the game, a 'second striker' or David Dunn type. The word is he isn't ready to go right into the team. So that is still a factor as the financial details for him and his agents are finalised.

Not by the post but in the final furlong.

The Swedish boy Advic has had a mention before and has been watched recently. The same details and profile seem to apply to him...wonder if it is one of the other?

balwer Posted Yesterday, 02:28 PM

Sounds like Popov won't be playing in Litex's next match as terms have been agreed. Nicko?

http://bit.ly/aRQQ5e translated below.

Litex striker Ivelin Popov again will remain outside the group of Champions and will not take part in the second leg of Debrecen.

The reason is clear - is the national transfer to Blackburn and lovchanlii not want their golden egg to break.

Therefore, he looked from the stands of Lauta "match with Lokomotiv Plovdiv.

Currently, only the player working visa delayed transaction between the orange and the English club.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 02:51 PM

Balwer, on 25 August 2010 - 14:28 PM, said:

Sounds like Popov won't be playing in Litex's next match as terms have been agreed. Nicko?

Major development...Litex won't want him to be injured...and want him sold...but there may still be some minor financial issues to resolve.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 03:42 PM

67splitscreen, on 25 August 2010 - 15:05 PM, said:

Read today that Barcodes have listed Taylor, believe his agent is a close associate of yours, any ideas where he will go, not fit until October but would think he will be in demand by many Premier clubs.

I hear Taylor has asked for a ridiculous wage...not been able to contact the 'associate' mentioned.

sky link avdic

Mail link Jo to stay at City?

rover_groo Posted Yesterday, 09:59 PM

Blackburn Rovers reserve defender and Northern Ireland U21 International, Johnny Flynn has today made the permanent move north to Ross County.

No links on this one, but should be announced shortly.

Mirror link avdic

On the sold thread:

philipl Posted Yesterday, 07:49 AM

Jisty, on 25 August 2010 - 07:36 AM, said:

If it can't be done in time to provide some funds for this window then there seems little point in rushing it through a week after the window closes.

If it was possible to complete in 5 weeks I would have thought there would be sufficient confidence in the sale going through to release money for transfers. That final week would surely be the formality of the handover process with a very small probability of something going wrong?

Just doesn't work that way. Believe me, five weeks would be absolutely busting a gut if it is achieved.

To go from first contact to achieving sale in under ten weeks is phenomenally quick for any business to change hands, never mind a £50m+ turnover Premier League football club.

Transfer and takeover digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 26 6;15am - Aug 27 7;50am

Sun link Benjani

parsonblue Posted Yesterday, 08:21 AM

The LT today is reporting that Benjani is about the start talks about joining the Rovers after impressing during his spell training with the club. The report also suggests that the club will try to sign another forward before the deadline. However, the report also states that the Rovers have had a couple of bids for players rejected and quotes John Williams as saying that the "valuations are substantially above what we are prepared to pay."

The LT believe financial differences are holding up any deal for Popov while they state that a deal for Avdic is now unlikely.

All of which suggests that Roberts will be drafted in to add to Kalinic, Diouf and Benjani to make up our four front men in the 25 man squad if no deals are done by Tuesday. As most Premier League clubs are only playing with one up front these days I wouldn't be too unhappy with these four until we see what happens with the takeover and then look at the situation again in January.

Mail link to Avdic

nicko Posted Yesterday, 10:37 AM

BENJANI - cheap deal on a free...incentive-based...has to have a chance in the current circumstances...but if he is any good how come he hasn't been signed already?

POPOV - these Bulgarians like a haggle...still likely to be finalised.

ADVIC - probably second choice to Popov...you won't get both.

ROBERTS - may be a sale...which would explain...

THE MYSTERY STRIKER - there is a new one on the radar...may even be exciting...although I won't believe it until it's been denied by the odd twitt.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 10:41 AM

STEVEN TAYLOR - by the way, just not right.

nico Posted Yesterday, 11:25 AM

Taggart, on 26 August 2010 - 10:51 AM, said:

More exciting than Popov or the Swede ? 2nd choice striker ? I do note that most of the strikers we are being linked with, the exception Benjani, have all had youth on their side which compliments BFS`s policy of lower the age of the team/playing squad and building for the future - thunbs up Sam !

This guy is fast and foreign. Down to be watched on Saturday. But things may even move quicker than that.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 12:14 PM

67splitscreen, on 26 August 2010 - 11:44 AM, said:

Nicko, this Mystery Striker is it just ourselves trying to catch him before the finishing line.

The club involved have had a few inquiries for him since the start of the season. Rovers started taking an interest two days ago and it seems to be moving along at a pace.

I would think Roberts needs to go first because the fee is higher than some you have been thinking about paying lately.

First come, first served.

neophox Posted Yesterday, 12:31 PM

In Borås newspaper here in Sweden it was exclusive that Blackburn and Bologna were interested in Denni Avdic of Elfsborg. There will be a host of spyes tonight against Napoli in Europa League for sure.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 01:01 PM

RoverRich, on 26 August 2010 - 12:23 PM, said:

So Nicko, what's the situation with Roberts? You say he needs to go before we can think about getting the mystery striker in but is he any closer to getting his move?

I hear someone is trying to do it...but it will take some doing.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 03:19 PM

Jamesw1982, on 26 August 2010 - 15:16 PM, said:

Nicko would it give too much away if i asked if he is fairly well known around the world like or is he sum1 we will have to see you tube clips of !!!

Young one...under-21 international.

Sky link Avdic

chilly Posted Yesterday, 03:45 PM

Hopefully this will cheer everyone up a lil, even though its not an actual transfer story..

Quote from BFS on Skysports article:

"Allardyce continued: "Can we afford to play just two in midfield if we are playing Niko Kalinic and Mame Diouf up front, that is the key for me.

"I have to find the answer to that and I think I will. In some games I will go two up top and in others I won't.

"There is a fine line, sometimes it will be a fight between Niko and Mame, and sometimes it will be the pair of them together."

So there you go guys we will be playing 2 up front every now and then (which i think alot of us were hoping for).

And this also answers why Sam wants more strikers (in answer to those sayin if we play 1 up front, niko,diouf and benjani are enough).

nicko Posted Yesterday, 03:48 PM

benhben, on 26 August 2010 - 15:33 PM, said:

http://www.skysports...6339583,00.html

Thought Nicko said this was unlikely?

My Swedish guy told me yesterday that he was being hawked around. He seemed surprised that Rovers were watching him - although they are as it happens. Stunned if there was a bid.

I don't think he is top of the list or close to it in this window.

The two 'likelys' are Popov and Benjani.

The surprise bonus will depend on whether Roberts goes or not - and there is enough cash to land someone decent.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 03:55 PM

steo, on 26 August 2010 - 15:54 PM, said:

do you know if we are close to agreeing a fee for popov?

The trouble with any transfer involving Bulgarians is that there are several people to 'sort out' in the transfer. It's a hard one to broker if you know what I mean.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 04:41 PM

neophox, on 26 August 2010 - 16:22 PM, said:

I will today go and watch Elfsborg - Napoli at Borås Arena, just got the tickets and then see if I can see some scouts watching the game and Denni Avdic.

Who is rovers scout in sweden/scandinavia?

If the Advic interest is live and serious I would think chief scout Martin Glover would be at the game...or one of the staff like Neil McDonald or Steve Kean.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 06:23 PM

ewoodpo, on 26 August 2010 - 18:06 PM, said:

Nicko, Guy Assulin I know you said that he'd broken down whilst on trial at City, just wondering what happened after that.

Went back to Israel to have hie knee looked at ...

nicko Posted Yesterday, 06:27 PM

Jamesw1982, on 26 August 2010 - 18:22 PM, said:

Nicko is their any truth in the rumour we are trying to bring Marcus Pedersen to blackburn?

I know he was watched but as of today the names are new ones. I don't think anyone is totally sure who to go for - even at this late stage.

neophox Posted Yesterday, 10:16 PM

Just home from the game, really good play from Napoli, they are a strong side but the player that looked class today and stood up well against an organized Napoli side was Denni Avdic. But I saw Bologna's head scout and I think I saw someone from Blackburn, not sure really, thought I spotted Big Sam but not sure.

However Avdic was strong in the air, a bit like Kalinic but I think he's better with his head. Good skills and technique!

But I think we may face competition for him, he's only 21.

On the sale thread-

kamy Posted Yesterday, 08:57 PM

1864roverite, on 26 August 2010 - 20:49 PM, said:

I have it on very good authority that the Rovers legal team have had a very very busy day. Information came from a non football related source but within the legal profession.

I cant disclose what it is "allegedly about" but it didnt sound BAD !

Correlate with what I heard this evening that "significant" progress has been made.

kamy Posted Yesterday, 09:09 PM

I still think that it is going to be difficult to complete before Transfer Window, but every indication is that it is now very close.

philipl Posted 39 minutes ago

I have it on very good authority that the Rovers legal team have had a very very busy day. Information came from a non football related source but within the legal profession.

This is very positive news which is yet further sign that there will be a transfer of ownership on terms the Trust are happy with.

However, this does not necessarily mean the sale is happening today (or tomorrow, or next week, or at the end of the exclusive period)! But it does point further to 99% certainty there will be a sale when everything is done to all parties' satisfaction.

The real action will be happening between the legal ad financial teams of the Trust and the buyers and that is quite possibly not going on anywhere close to Blackburn.

For a sale to happen, the club's own lawyers will need to prepare resolutions, registrations, transfer documents and so on.

Yesterday's activity suggests we have moved into the pre-sale check list of things which have to be done but my guess is the destination of yesterday's papers is far far more likely to be the buyers' lawyers' desks for review as part of their due diligence rather than Companies House registering new owners.

As for transfer window impact, the mind set of Sam, the Rovers Board, the Trust and the buyers must surely be to get the big job done properly rather than be distracted by thrashing out some complicated and awkward short term loan arrangement for Rovers to dive at the death into a schizoid market which is where the world football transfers are at the moment.

Transfer and takeover digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 27 7;50am - Aug 28 8;55am

T4E Posted Yesterday, 11:28 AM

SSN carrying quotes from Sam saying that we're trying to get a deal done for Benjani.

Possibly true, or possibly a well placed story to speed up a deal with another target.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:43 AM

POPOV - very messy behind the scenes and the clock is ticking loud on this one...figures being changed at all levels...why does everyone leave it so late?

ADVIC - Rovers interest was correct...there WAS an offer...turned down.

BENJANI - you know it's going to happen, don't you.

ROBERTS - was supposed to be going to West Brom yesterday...that will take some negotiating because of his wages and their pay ceiling...

MYSTERY STRIKER - both are still due to be watched this weekend...but I think Roberts has to go to afford the more expensive one of those two...the other is cheaper.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 11:56 AM

Bobby G, on 27 August 2010 - 11:50 AM, said:

Nicko how far off are our valuations of Avdic compared to that of his club?

At least £500,000 apart...you would pay around £1.5 million, they want around £2 million.

I thought it was Avdic or Popov...but the plan was both by the sounds of it.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 01:13 PM

EwoodGlory, on 27 August 2010 - 13:10 PM, said:

West Brom have just signed Fortune, does this mean they aren't after Roberts?

That is the end of the Roberts move to West Brom I would imagine...looks like you are going to be stuck with him past the window...or a subsidised loan to a Championship side when their window re-opens in September more likely...

nicko Posted Yesterday, 01:17 PM

Balwer, on 27 August 2010 - 13:15 PM, said:

So we're like a poor man's Man City then?

It has been happening in football at all levels for years. I don't get all of the screaming and wailing about that concept. You have someone you don't want, can't sell or get rid of so you do a compromise.

It's called negotiation.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 01:24 PM

rovers1995, on 27 August 2010 - 13:17 PM, said:

I wouldn't think we'd loan him out if we don't get anyone but Benjani in. Nicko is this the end of the mystery striker(s) then? Can you name them now?

Both are down to play this weekend and be watched. You have to plan and be aware of their current form and whether anyone else is sniffing and at the games.

Selling Roberts or getting rid on loan would help obviously when it comes to pay-up time.

But as neither Popov nor Avdic [?] have been concluded yet anything is possible in terms of who actually arrives.

Heard from a reliable source that Rovers have failed in bids for TWELVE players in this window.

And, before you ask, I couldn't name them.

Balwer, on 27 August 2010 - 13:21 PM, said:

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea if it saves even half of his wages. Was just being facetious.

The swipe was not aimed at you. I read some nugget writing it was a 'breach of rules' in some posh paper today. Some people need to get a grip.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 02:07 PM

SamTheLeedsRover, on 27 August 2010 - 14:05 PM, said:

I don't think people are whinging about the concept in general, its probably just the fact in Bellamy's case that it is Cardiff subsidising his City wage, when surely the club taking the player on loan usually pays the majority?

It suited the 'parent' club [Man City] to shunt the little chap to Wales and the Championship. They could have had money from Spurs or a better wages deal from any one of eight Premier League clubs.

They wanted him out of their hair and were willing to pay 75 per cent of his wages.

It is unusual, but as they are picking up the tab they think it is right.

Remember he still has two years at around £90,000-a-week left on his contract at Man City. So they have already accepted they are throwing money at him that [a] they are contracted to and that they don't want to but have to.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 03:58 PM

Gambit217, on 27 August 2010 - 15:56 PM, said:

I read that Rovers had a bid of 25m kroner (£2.6m) turned down for Avdic, Elfsborg want around 30m kroner (£3.2m). Bologna have also had a bid turned down. Apparently, Elfsborg are now considering an improved offer from Rovers.

I'm not sure if this is all true, maybe Nicko can confirm/deny.

Oh apologies if it's already been mentioned on here.

Those figures are inflated...£1.5m and £2m closer to sums.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 04:20 PM

Hi Mack, on 27 August 2010 - 16:03 PM, said:

In the 12 players Nicko, there were a few very decent names.......Wonder if they were ever realistic.

Been thinking and this is as close as I can get.

DEFINITES

LEWANDOWSKI...beaten by a club he wanted to go to.

DINDANE...went way down the line and stopped...probably a good decision.

PIQUIONNE...dabbled, but backed off over wages.

BEATTIE...wanted on the cheap, but that was difficult given circumstances of fee and contract and Stoke's reluctance to deal.

POSSIBLES

JELAVIC...seemed to be a very strong interest but opossibly too expensive for the present budget...outbid by Rangers though shock horror.

REO-COKER...fee different to what the club thought...player wasn't bothered about moving.

JO...ownership issues.

VAUGHAN...not sure you could call it a bid more a fishing expedition...too expensive for what he is.

HESKEY...came and went.

GREENING...Fulham need replacement first...

STILL LIVE

POPOV...dealing with difficult people...

AVDIC...price difference...

BENJANI...waiting for that last dance at the disco...

Probably missed a few that escaped the radar there.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 04:34 PM

Iceman, on 27 August 2010 - 16:23 PM, said:

Perea, Boyd, Guiza, Toni

PEREA...was a trial...so I don't count that one.

BOYD...never an interest as far as I know

GUIZA...should have included him.

TONI...I do the funnies...

nicko Posted Yesterday, 04:46 PM

Gambit217, on 27 August 2010 - 16:35 PM, said:

Heard anything regarding a so called 'improved offer' from Rovers?

It would make sense...but so does watching other possible targets at the weekend.

Buying clubs do have some power even in a difficult market.

philipl Posted Yesterday, 05:48 PM

PaulPlunkettLT tweeted

I don't know where all rumours came from of Rangers' Kenny Miller to Blackburn Rovers. But there's nowt in it

nicko Posted Yesterday, 06:10 PM

It's all just red-top speculation...

http://www.mirrorfoo...icle433469.html

Check the date. Three months on and nothing better found.

Sheesh.

Posted Yesterday, 11:54 PM

MikeB, on 27 August 2010 - 23:40 PM, said:

Had an interesting evening and dinner with one of my neighbours who is employed in professional football. He reckons Rovers have today been busting a gut to offload Roberts and both the price and JR's wage demands are falling (Nicko - have you a view on that) as they are DESPERATE to bring in Avdic (hope the spelling is right as had a few bevvies) and Popov.

It will be very hard to shift Roberts and get a decent fee. The longer you leave it the less chance you have of spending it too...

These are daft days.

Look at the mess N'Zogbia's behaviour is leaving Birmingham, Wigan and about four other transfers in. You leave it late and the whole thing turns to sh!t.

Onto the Rovers might have been sold thread:

philipl Posted Yesterday, 07:06 AM

This is very positive news which is yet further sign that there will be a transfer of ownership on terms the Trust are happy with.

However, this does not necessarily mean the sale is happening today (or tomorrow, or next week, or at the end of the exclusive period)! But it does point further to 99% certainty there will be a sale when everything is done to all parties' satisfaction.

The real action will be happening between the legal ad financial teams of the Trust and the buyers and that is quite possibly not going on anywhere close to Blackburn.

For a sale to happen, the club's own lawyers will need to prepare resolutions, registrations, transfer documents and so on.

Yesterday's activity suggests we have moved into the pre-sale check list of things which have to be done but my guess is the destination of yesterday's papers is far far more likely to be the buyers' lawyers' desks for review as part of their due diligence rather than Companies House registering new owners.

As for transfer window impact, the mind set of Sam, the Rovers Board, the Trust and the buyers must surely be to get the big job done properly rather than be distracted by thrashing out some complicated and awkward short term loan arrangement for Rovers to dive at the death into a schizoid market which is where the world football transfers are at the moment.

iceman Posted Yesterday, 08:39 AM

However, ahead of the 2010/11 season, the Premier League has introduced new measures to tighten up the ownership and financial management of its clubs.

It follows Portsmouth’s slide into administration earlier this year, with the league introducing a number of new regulations designed to reduce the risk of another club going the same way as the south coast side.

From this summer, new owners must meet the league’s board before a takeover is approved, while teams must submit far more detailed financial information to prove they are able to pay their debts to football creditors.

If successful, the Rovers takeover will be subjected to these new rules, which will include the newly-named owners and directors test, whereby persons barred from other sporting organisations, competitions and professional bodies will not be permitted to be a director of a club.

The official new rules set out by the Premier League over ownership and finance are:

– A prospective new owner must provide future financial information to show the projected financial position of the club should a takeover go through.

– A prospective new owner must also show proof of funds to prove they can sustain the club for the year ahead.

http://www.lancashir...ackburn_Rovers/

kamy Posted Yesterday, 11:30 AM

Even though things are moving on at a pace, there is little or no chance that this will be done by the end of the transfer deadline, for that to happen the deal would need to be done today (with Monday being a Bank Holiday), when the deal is done then they would need to get it ratified by the Premier League. So the timescale doesn't fit.

I think the January transfer window may see some signings, but generally prices are hugely inflated in January. I think that the real action in terms of transfers will happen next summer.

Tapping the Indian market

kamy Posted Yesterday, 11:43 AM

John, on 27 August 2010 - 11:35 AM, said:

What buyer do you want Den?

Someone who has an excellent PR obviously?

John you have every right to be cautious, and you are right he does have great PR.

However, I put my faith in the Trustees and Rovers Board, they have rejected many bids over the last 3 years because they were not right for the club, the fact they have accepted this one says to me that Mr Ali met their criteria.

It is not wrong for people to have concerns, in fact quite natural after what has happened in Portsmouth etc.

timmyjimmy Posted Yesterday, 06:33 PM

Balwer, on 27 August 2010 - 17:03 PM, said:

I know what you mean, there's been enough bad cases to make even the biggest optimist a skeptic, but to me he's innocent until proven guilty. We are all nervous though, as well we should be, since it's our beloved club that is on the line.

I've been away for a while and am just reading back through the missed posts of the last few weeks. I'm amazed at some of the skepticism on here. I get the impression that the vast majority are in favour of the takeover by Mr Syed but the few naysayers on here have very loud voices and submerge the rest of us with a deluge of negative posts.

If nothing else, and we only trade like for like ownership, then in Mr Syed we will have an actual fan as an owner and not a group of disinterested bean counters in the Channel Islands. That alone makes for an improved situation.

I look forward to the scenes of Mr Syed crying like Jack did when we again win the Premiership, even if it's in 15 years time, and if you don't think that's a possibility then you shouldn't be on a supporters board.

Sorry Balwer, by 'you' I wasn't referring to you personally but to the guys with all the negative waves. I agree that it's easy to be nervous but faint heart never won fair lady. We should seize this opportunity with both hands and welcome the new owner with open arms. Enough hand wringing, it's time to go for it.

Transfer and takeover digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 28 8;55am - Aug 29 8;15am

We will start with the developments which have happened on the Rovers sale:

philipl Posted Yesterday, 07:50 AM

I am putting my faith in the Trust only selling to buyers whom they believe are the best possible option for the club.

If things come out in the wash, I think you will find there has been no shortage of interested parties in buying Rovers during the last 36 months+ and a goodly number of them could have handed over the £25m/ £45m/ £64m or whatever the rumoured Trust selling price was meant to be.

Yet all of them were vetted out.

Guardian link- due diligence to be completed next week; all on track for Mr Ali

philipl Posted Yesterday, 08:03 PM

mogster, on 28 August 2010 - 17:59 PM, said:

First comment from Mr Ali's team for a long time so it must be very very close..

Julia Thiem, spokeswoman for Western Gulf Advisory, Syed's investment company, saidsaid: "We are progressing well and hopeful of completing the due diligence process this week. It's fingers crossed for that. Then we will approach the Premier League to complete the paperwork needed. We also have to make an offer to the minority shareholders of the club."

Asked when Syed may complete and hold executive power over Blackburn, Thiem said: "It is a little more complicated because of [the majority] of the club being owned by a trust. The lawyers say this could make the deal longer to conclude. We hope it could be done by the middle or end of September. But it is difficult to know at the moment."

First comment for four days I think it is- just feels like a long time's silence! WGA's last comment was clear; that they would not comment further for the time being but I understand that Rovers could be unwittingly in the press tomorrow so this intervention by WGA this evening is very welcome.

Nobody should be concerned by the following sentence- "It is a little more complicated because of [the majority] of the club being owned by a trust".

This is proof positive that Jack set up the Trust's involvement with Rovers in such a way that the club could not just be jetisoned by the Trustees. This is NOT the Trustees moving slowly- it is because there are a lot of things that need to be unravelled and possibly a Deed of Variation to the Trust Settlement to be applied for from the Jersey Courts before the Trustees can safely transfer the shareholdings to a third party. Sorting out those clauses takes time with the best will in the world and if a Deed is required, nobody will know precisely how long the Jersey authorities need to review the application before it is granted - it is no good Googling the Jersey Courts by the way because these matters would be held strictly in private so my guess on this stage is unlikely to be proven either right or wrong!

There is also reference in the Guardian piece to an offer to be made to buy out the minority shareholders- these are the people and in many cases now, the families of old Rovers' shareholders who declined Jack's offer to buy them out when he injected the first £25m into the club back in 1991. There is no indication whether Mr Ali is going to make a voluntary offer or use the powers of the Companies Act to require a sale by the minority shareholders. There are quite a few shareholders who are members of this web site so we might hear first hand what their position is if there is no confidentiality requirement.

Just to summarise the Rovers sale process as I see it based on my experience of these sorts of things.

On Monday two weeks ago, an exclusive agreement called a Memorandum of Understanding was signed giving Mr Ali sole rights to do due diligence and PREVENTING ROVERS FROM ACCEPTING ANY ALTERNATIVE BID. So other people could talk to Rovers but that is all they could do. Anyone else claiming they have reached agreement to buy the club is blowing bubbles.

The Rovers made a statement confirming this fact.

Mr Ali then revealed that within the Memorandum of Understanding, a Heads of Agreement was also signed. That Heads of Agreement would be the the sale agreement which effectively bound the Trust to sell to Mr Ali and Mr Ali to buy the club under a set of agreed terms and conditions subject to due diligence.

Four weeks was the stipulated exclusive period which means Mr Ali's people were confident they could do the due diligence within three weeks allowing a week's contingency- Julia's comment in the Guardian points to them hitting the three weeks.

During due diligence, the Rovers management and Mr Ali's lawyers and accountants will have been in intense communication so it will have been evident from day to day whether everything was going well or otherwise.

A sign that it was going well was the sudden surge of activity at Forbes Solicitors on Thursday. My guess is the feed back from the due diligence at that stage meant it was worth the Trust expending the fees to start preparing the plethora of legal documents involved in effecting the sale.

Now we know we are looking at completion of Due Diligence by next Friday probably. At that point the Due Diligence book containing all its questions, answers, evidence and supplementary questions and answers arising from the initial answers will be formally bound and signed off by the Rovers and Trustees. That in effect is the business evidence which Mr Ali and his team will be relying on to know what they are buying.

If the due diligence has raised issues, there could be a re-negotiation within the terms of the Heads of Agreement on those matters. If there are no issues, both sides affirm that to be the case and the Heads of Agreement are retitled Sale Agreement with all the "subject to due diligence" clauses removed.

At that point, everything should be purely mechanical. All the documents get completed, both sides sign them as and when they are happy with them and each document gets placed in a secure location from which they cannot be released until the full set of all the documents is completed and signed by all parties.

As I have already explained there are the complications of unwinding the binding terms the Trust is working within and demonstrating fulfilment of Jack's wishes plus the minority shareholders to be resolved but Mr Ali's team and the Trust will both already know exactly what is needed to be done and how this is to be handled. This stage could get delayed simply because there will be people who have not been direct parties to the negotiations whose signatures will be required. I am sure the Trust will have pre-cleared the deal with these people affected by the Trust (other beneficiaries and their lawyers) so there should be no scope for the sale to be challenged.

We then reach the day of completion and Mr Ali will transfer monies to the order of Rothschilds. Rothschilds and both sets of lawyers will witness the completion documents and when satisfied will release the purchase payment to the Trust (and at the same time quite probably whatever initial injection is to be paid into the Rovers) and the job's a good one.

I am sticking to my five week forecast as time from signing of exclusive agreement to sale. We are two weeks into that period on Monday.

philipl Posted Yesterday, 09:04 PM

bluebruce, on 28 August 2010 - 20:37 PM, said:

Yeh but I wasn't talking about the Premier League test, I was talking about making an offer to the minority shareholders, sorry for not being clear enough. I don't see why he hasn't done that, especially with them hinting it could slow and complicate the deal.

Until the Heads of Agreement to Sell between the Trust and Mr Ali goes unconditional there is no sale to involve the minority shareholders in.

Also so long as the minority shareholders have been informed and have an equitable proposal from Mr Ali prior to the sale by the Trust is completed, any physical transfers of shares and payments for them can take place after the main sale.

So I would expect the minority shareholders will be receiving offer documents sometime around 7 September but that's my guess- if it arrives later it doesn't mean something has gone wrong.

What is tricky is the Trust working through all the protective clauses inserted in the Settlement to look after the Rovers. By their very nature, these would be indicative and non-specific acting as guidelines for the Trustees in exercising their responsibilities under Trust. That works well when it is business as usual but becomes a bit like stroking a hedgehog against the spines when selling a protected asset. I might be wrong but I believe Rovers are in some senses technically a Trust beneficiary and removing a beneficiary is a potentially fraught process for any Trust or Trustee.

News of the World link to Australian interest

Alan Nixon in the People with news of a third Indian group submitting a bid.

philipl Posted 14 minutes ago

imy9, on 29 August 2010 - 04:23 AM, said:

Philip-could I get you to clarify something-as a MOU has been signed by both parties does this not mean that it is up to syed to decide now whether he wants to buy the club?

Also what do you think about the new bids, any likely to be accepted or are they a way of warning syed that there are other parties willing to buy the club if he tries to renegotiate? Thanks.

LT link reports the same words that appeared in the Guardian/Observer- Ali Syed's bid still on track

By way of contrast Alan Nixon has picked up a FOURTH potential bidder in his People report.

I can only repeat that the agreement to sell the club had been negotiated BEFORE the Memorundum of Understanding including the Heads of Agreement was signed on Monday 17 August.

We don't know exactly what was contained in the words signed but it will have been effectively binding on Mr Ali to buy and the Trust to sell to him provided a set of conditions were met. The due diligence will be systematically working through the conditions and showing they are met- the activity at Forbes and the WGA spokesperson's comments confirm that is what is happening.

For a long time, there was rumour of an un-named third party interested in Rovers and now the NoTW has identified them as being three unnamed 30-something Australians offering £25m and nicko has found a third group of Indians whom I believe are represented by yet another London agent but rather more serious than Chris Nathaniel.

My reaction to this is- both sets must have been talking to Rothschilds for a decent amount of time to have been able to make an offer and indeed the NoTW confirms that by saying they have had access to financial information under NDA (non-disclosure agreement). All this means is that they have shown Rothschilds they have money and Rothschilds have given them a sales prospectus. If you had £25m in the bank, you could sign an NDA and get one too.

- the fact they both of these parties are going public without naming themselves after being silent for so long shows they know they are about to lose. It is a desperate last throw of the dice.

- not least with regards to the Australians because the offer is £25m with an unspecified amount for transfer spending vs Mr Ali's numbers which are consistently being repeated and large.

- also note how the People headline actually bears no relationship to Alan Nixon's story. "Blackburn Rovers target new billionaire as fight to purchase club intensifies" becomes Rovers "Rovers are a target for a NEW takeover bidder" A VERY BIG DIFFERENCE.

- this is a several hundred million pound deal. Two bidders are quoted in the News of the World and the People. Mr Ali's stories have gone into the Telegraph, the Guardian and the Times and been picked up by the "voice of the Rovers" Andy Cryer in the LT. Which one is serious?- it is pretty obvious isn't it?

If one party puts a significantly better deal on the table, then no doubt the MoU allows the Trust wriggle room to re-negotiate and find room to wriggle out from their agreement with Mr Ali. I doubt that wriggling out will happen because of whom the Trustees are but if a significantly better future for Rovers than the £300m over 15 years proposed by Mr Ali is in writing, the terms of the Settlement would force their hand.

Come on, how likely is that????

I am sticking with 99% probability of Mr Ali being our new owner and a sale completion around about 18 September.

Andy Cryer link in the LT about Ali Syed process being on track for making the purchase.

Back to transfers:

There was less than two pages of postings and none of it talked about transfers!

However, on the Lars Jacobsen thread, this appeared-

brfc4ever Posted Yesterday, 12:22 PM

Lars just told Danish TV (Kanal 5) that he's leaving Rovers. Prob. in this window.

And that is why he's not in the lineup today.

Transfer and takeover digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 29 8;15am - Aug 30 7;50am

nicko Posted Yesterday, 06:06 PM

An update but hardly an 11 o'clocker...

MYSTERY TARGET 1 - one of the foreign strikers due to be watched actually signed for another club before he played for his own this weekend.

MYSTERY TARGET 2 - did not do so well and was subbed.

I understand the manager is telling people he doesn't expect to make another signing. He may just be huffy.

Popov seems to take forever and there has been no closing of the gap with the Swede.

After watching yesterday I would say you need a midfielder, but what do I know.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 06:24 PM

chaddyrovers, on 29 August 2010 - 18:12 PM, said:

who are the mystery targets? somebody said they see Big Sam going to spain? is this looking at a player or going on holiday?

http://twitter.com/PaulPlunkettLT

There is no point naming the mystery men, just two more names that come and go in a window of madness.

Sam may well have gone to Spain in disgust. He is not a happy bunny.

kamy Posted Yesterday, 11:03 PM

Also heard that Sam is mega peeved with what has gone on this summer and what is going on at the moment. First chance he gets he will leave Rovers, I don't blame him. Effectively this summer if we do not sign anyone else then he will have spent no money on transfers (one loan and one free transfer). These are conditions that no manager would accept/be happy with.

kamy Posted Yesterday, 11:32 PM

Tim Southampton Rover, on 29 August 2010 - 23:06 PM, said:

Would he leave with potentially up to £100m to spend in the next transfer window/summer? I expect he's already writing out his shopping list.

Maybe Sam isn't as impressed with Mr Ali as much as we are.

In the Rovers might have been sold thread (some of these posts are not strictly news but are included to reflect the balance of debate):

nicko Posted Yesterday, 10:14 AM

The story in the People is based on a move made about ten days ago. It is an approach that was encouraged, which may or not be significant, and it is still 'live.'

I don't know the identity of the people behind it, although ironically there is an Indian element to it. This move is also know to a couple of people round here who have kept it out of the public domain.

I have no idea about the News of the World story, but I have no reason to doubt it. They could even be part of the same team.

The one thing the two developments have in common is that people who want to buy football clubs see yours as worth buying at the moment.

I would also point out that your manager writes for the Screws...

kamy Posted Yesterday, 10:33 AM

Despite media reports this morning suggesting that there could be new potential bidders in the race to purchase Blackburn Rovers, Mr Ali remains in pole position. Syed Ali's spokeswoman talking to exclusively to BRFCS has confirmed that they remain confident of concluding the deal "As all articles rightly state, we still have exclusivity until mid-September, and we are also still very confident and not concerned about the current rumors".

nicko Posted Yesterday, 10:41 AM

imy9, on 29 August 2010 - 10:26 AM, said:

Is there any indication how much money these guys have?

All I know about one of the 'movers' is that they seem pretty serious. No more details than that.

The point that interested me most was that they were told a buy could still be done...

Paul Posted Yesterday, 12:07 PM

philipl, on 29 August 2010 - 11:10 AM, said:

The only way that these newly revealed bidders can potentially derail the Ali Syed Heads of Agreement is if they put something on the table which forces the Trust's hand because they address a key clause in the Settlement appreciably better than the Ali Syed proposal does.

The only clause in the Settlement which has been made public (and we are going back some ten years now when it was referred to) is some form of wording relating to securing the Rovers' future and providing entertainment for the people of Blackburn. No doubt the Settlement document itself is much more voluminous.

In the final analysis, the advantage and disadvantage all prospective buyers have faced over the past 3 years+ of the sale process is they are in effect "negotiating" with a dead man's wishes.

The one thing which ocurrs to me about the reported new bids / interest is to what extent the Trust is bound to look at all potential offers? Clearly Rothschilds' responsibility is to examine and filter in / out those with potential, I would imagine Rothschilds would err on the side of caution in this and recommend any potential candidate. Seems to me this new interest puts the Trust under significant pressure to decide either Syed is already the best deal to be had, drawing a conclusion to the search for a new owner or they have to look seriously at the supposed new parties?

Hopefully the Trust will conclude Syed is the right choice and the club can get on with the business of using his investment wisely. If a decision is not made this could run for a very long time and risk losing the better choice.

timmyjimmy Posted Yesterday, 12:32 PM

RovertheHill, on 27 August 2010 - 22:52 PM, said:

Possibly the daftest thing in a thread composed of a high proportion of daftness

It's only daft if you don't consider the wider picture. The game of 15 years ago is unrecognisable today, things move on and change, in another 15 years who knows where the game will be. Anything is possible.

I think that the flurry of interest in purchasing the club is recognition in part that the game may well be changing to our benefit. Platini seems Hell bent on leveling playing fields and slowly the financial restrictions under discussion/implementation will start to curb wages and the therefore the huge cost of currently running a club. I think you will find that the game will turn to focus more on youth and notably that is being spoken about by Mr Syed and those with an interest of buying into other clubs.

If we are early into the battle and build on our already substantial investment in the Academy then we will be well placed to have a good number of future stars locked into the club. Some currently rich clubs are spending massively right now to beat the upcoming restrictions but it won't be long before the revamping of the new rules will have some real tangible effects on the league tables.

Taking this together with what we already know about about Jack's stipulations to the Trust about providing entertainment for the people of Blackburn (which ensures that the Rovers EPL franchise cannot be bought and relocated elsewhere a la Millwall/Milton Keynes and some teams in the NFL) plus what Mr Syed proposes for the development of the brand in the new economic powerhouses of India, China etc - then we can be reasonably sure that any Rovers title aspirations will be stronger over the next 15 years than now.

So no, I don't agree it was a daft thing to say for the above reasons. Then again I don't think it was a daft thing to say because I am also a passionate aspirational supporter and such dreams sustain me. And yet again, Jack was a fan, Mr Syed is a fan. I still choke up when I see footage of Jack with a tear in his eye and his lip trembling so yes, I'd love to go through the same emotion again with the new (fan) owner.

You're welcome to your opinion of course but you don't need to be so caustic and disparaging about those of others. I'm a dreamer, so what.

OscarRaven Posted Yesterday, 01:48 PM

Hmmm... I agree with others that this is other interested parties probably trying one last gasp attempt at derailing the Syed Express.

Problem is we have heard £300mio over 15yrs (which has so many of u wetting urself with excitement) and unfortunatley these guys are not promising as much.. but remember its highly unlikely Syed can be compelled to put his money where his mouth is... the only reason he has got this far is because he has "shown them the money" - he doesnt need to spend it.

If the stories are true however, it would seem those of us opposed to becoming a billionaires play thing, scared at the prospect of spending money the club could never afford to payback or even manage to service without a 'sugar daddy' now have someone who wants to run the club on a sustainable basis.

So we potenially have a realistic status quo option, maxxing the credit card to keep up with the Jones' can be avoided, we can attempt to sit out the bubble and continue to run the football club prudently and hopefully have another 100 years ahead.

No longer a case of Syed or bust? I doubt it.

Revidge Blue Posted Yesterday, 07:25 PM

OscarRaven, on 29 August 2010 - 14:20 PM, said:

If the club is worth £25mio then £100mio cash injection is the equivelant of a 400% mortgage, your right I'd be wetting myself in that case (personal circumstances) just not with excitement.

P.S. I read the articles thanks. Increasing revenue by tapping into the local asian market, signing Beckham and building a new Riverside to house the hordes of new fans. Pure Genuis.

What generates more revunue 10% more fans or 10% on ticket prices?

No way of posting without sounding rude but I find your posts on this topic constantly belittling the Syed bid to be utter nonsense. A few points about what you have said in some of your posts.

1) Just because the asking price for the Club might be 25m at this point in time does not mean it will still be worth 25m in fifteen years time. It would hopefully be worth far more than that even without any additional invesatment which should of course enhance the value of the club in itself. You could easily argue the hundred million figure is necessary as an up front boost just to bring the squad back up to scratch after years of non investment by the current owners. There's been no net investment on players since Duff was sold.

2) Theoretically we would be better off being bought by an extremely rich sugar daddy who is so well off that he can afford to lose his initial investment without batting an eyelid - and then gets bitten by the football bug. Mr. Syed has said that he hopes to increase our income but even if he is successful in that we still wouldn't be able to generate the same sort of revenue as the very biggest Clubs. That said, I haven't seen anywhere where he's said he would want the Club to run on an UNSUSTAINABLE basis. I tell you what is unsustainable, continuing to starve the team of investment and being relegated with our current wage bill.

3) Please tell me what is wrong with the concept of either tapping into the local market or increasing our profile overseas? I know both are easier said than done but just because Rovers haven't previously attempted the latter doesn't mean it can't be done. We just haven't had any available resources to put into it.

Essentially we have two choices, we can take a bit of a gamble in the hope of developing the Club to it's next stage in the current era and hopefully enjoy another period of success at the highest level or do nothing and wither away and continue at a much lower level than now and that's assuming we would survive the impact and eventual fall out of being relegated.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 08:18 PM

RevidgeBlue, on 29 August 2010 - 20:05 PM, said:

No offence intended nicko but we have rightly spent all summer scoffing at the LT's revelations about an alleged undisclosed bid for a mystery striker and now right at the tenth hour we read about an alleged bid for the Club from would you credit it......undisclosed mystery buyers.

I know for a fact there has been one approach...it is quite surprising that another is mentioned in the Screws...as we do not compare notes you will just have to accept that there are [at least] two other interested parties.

It's not THAT much of a surprise. There are people out there wanting clubs and Rovers is a club you can buy at a reasonable price and without any hassle.

There is obviously some urgency about the interest because Syed has got to a stage where he is potentially close to buying it and taking it off the market.

The one/two new faces around could be tyre kickers for all I know.

But, I will say again, there is still scope for someone else to come in.

As for the phantom strikers. The difference here is that neither I - nor I presume the Screws - were given this information from inside the club or the sellers or their agents.

nicko Posted Yesterday, 08:56 PM

RevidgeBlue, on 29 August 2010 - 20:54 PM, said:

Thanks for the reply.

I have no reason at all to disbelieve you but if I'm reading you correctly it's quite a serious assertion to make that news about the new interest was intentionally leaked by The Club, the Trustees or Rothschilds.

After Syed has already signed a period of exclusivity and all parties are supposed to be bound by NDA's.

What could we possibly be thinking of?

No, misread that...what I am saying is that my story did NOT come from the club [unlike the Mystery Striker yarns].

Rividge Blue Posted Yesterday, 09:03 PM

nicko, on 29 August 2010 - 20:56 PM, said:

No, misread that...what I am saying is that my story did NOT come from the club [unlike the Mystery Striker yarns].

Ok - sorry my apologies. I see what you mean now.

If that's the case I have to go back to my original view that the revelations are unhelpful though.

Not your fault but I have to question the motives of the parties expressing an interest so late.

philipl Posted Yesterday, 09:11 PM

I understand that both the parties reported as being interested by the popular press this morning are a lot more credible than Saurin Shah was.

timmyjimmy Posted Today, 12:24 AM

RovertheHill, on 29 August 2010 - 20:48 PM, said:

And you (and some others on here) shouldn't tell people that if they don't share your dreams then they shouldn't be on this board

It must have been one of my multiple personalities typing that as I have no recollection of it at all. Re-reading my response to your accusation of daftness I can't spot it either, perhaps you could enlighten me. If you think my post was implying this then you are wrong, of course everyone is entitled to their say. I had my say and you called me daft pot, kettle, black?

In my opinion if you don't believe (dream) that we can tub one or two of the big boys from time to time why turn up to watch at all? Surely it's masochistic to turn up each week expecting to get beat. I'm an optimist, with the right investment we can beat 10th place and beating 10th place means we can land in positions 1 to 9. What's wrong with first place? I've bet on worse odds than 1:9 and won money.

Some on here, you included, should lighten up and look to get a bit of fun back in your life, life's not all gloom and doom.

Oh and OscarRaven whilst I'm at it, if you found my post offensive then you must have either a very thin skin or you are one of those people who is perpetually looking for reasons to be a victim, grow up. I was referring to Jack's reaction to winning the EPL and hoping to see the same kind of reaction from a new owner, I was not comparing Jack to anyone. Please don't try to set me up to be the Bully to your Victim, I don't appreciate it.

Transfer and takeover digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 30 7;50am - Aug 31 12;05am

Busy day tomorrow so doing a digest now...

Nelsen comments

LT link- Roberts staying?

nicko Posted Today, 04:09 PM

There is a bit of surprise transfer news...

The 11 o'clocker will return.

PS...interesting that Sam is still in the area.

nicko Posted Today, 04:41 PM

roversam, on 30 August 2010 - 16:23 PM, said:

Nicko is it true villa have approached a premier league club about the vacant managers job?

I think Villa know who they want and have possibly approached that person.

But I don't think the first choice wants it.

Don't know if they have got to the second choice yet.

nicko Posted Today, 07:25 PM

nicko, on 30 August 2010 - 18:26 PM, said:

The 11 o'clocker may be worth a read...for a change.

1...a possible surprise exit.

2...a target who is about to go where he wanted to in the first place.

3...a weekend target who has gone elsewhere.

4...a trialist who has found a new home.

1 and 2 have to wait for the paper. You might as well know 3 and 4 now because they won't trouble the national press.

3 was Kevin Monney-Paquet, a speedy striker at Lens, French u-21 international...Rovers went to watch him but he came off...Lorient have taken him on loan today instead...his pace sounded interesting, a bit surprising this wasn't pursued.

4 was Edixon Perea who was injured during his trial and has disappeared...probbaly arriving at a Spanish Second Division side tomorrow...no loss...odd trialists, but no harm in looking.

nicko Posted Today, 09:30 PM

The 'I can't be bothered waiting until 11 o'clocker'...with a bit of the 'Samaritans have been on asking you to calm the locals 11 o'clocker.'

JASON ROBERTS...surprise news...Wigan went to watch him today in the ressies...little Bobby Martinez and two swarthy honchos...they are keen to take him if they can do a deal on fee and wages...he was a hero there before and would be welcomed back...that is the good news part...the bad news is that it is Roberts or Franco Di Santo from Chelsea...that deal has been on and off and on and off...all day and for the past week...at the moment Di Santo looks off because Wigan don't want to pay the fee...so there is a big chance of them taking Jason...but that will take a bit of doing financially...

I call it a surprise because I didn't see this one coming - and neither did Wigan.

If it happens you will have £33,000-a-week off the payroll and a few shillings in the kitty.

This may lead to a signing, Popov is the Bulgarian 'mob' can be satisfited or maybe the Swede.

The manager will hope so. He is a bit fed up.

EIDUR GUDJOHNSEN...was being pushed and discussed a couple of weeks back...Rovers were unhappy with how much they would have to pay to take him on loan...and Eidur fancied London...Stoke City thought they had him...but a few hours ago Fulham came in strongly and decisively...he should be there by morning...decent player, but if they don't want to come it is no loss...except for the local bookies perhaps.

Anyway, tomorrow may yet be interesting which is a bonus after this appaling window.

Mirror link- Roberts to Wigan?

Mail link- Roberts to Wigan?

nicko Posted 7 minutes ago

Greedy_Crawford, on 30 August 2010 - 23:30 PM, said:

Does all the money on Moyes have any substance?

I know who has been betting on it today...but I can't go into that here or anywhere.

And I know who may or may not have made a little 'tap up' call last week.

However I am not sure Moyes wants the job - and whether Villa have more money than Everton.

Onto an extraordinary day on Rovers might have been sold:

LT link - Ali Syed bid still on target

iamarover Posted Today, 12:45 PM

"@PaulPlunkettLT: @Jessie666_TW Syed breakdown would be £60m to buy club and pay debts £100m for transfers and rest long term investment ie academy etc"

Quite specific numbers. The Telegraph seem on the inside here. I suspect the freeholds on Brockhall and Ewood are going if the price for the club is 60 million with debt.

Time to pray.

nicko Posted Today, 08:33 PM

Make of this what you will...

football365 link- WGA Bahrain had to close

BBC story on Bahrain closure

BuckyRover Posted Today, 09:34 PM

I cannot find another source that says that WGA have been asked to cease trading, only that from 5live. There doesn't appear to be a news item directly from the Bahrain bank.

I don't know what to make of it. It leaves a bad smell, but that could be the intent.

A Bahrain finance website is running the story, but again they are referencing the BBC article. I also looked on the Bahrain Trade and Industry Ministry website and there is nothing.

imy9 From the same article:

"We are purchasing all our investments, e.g. J&M McCabe in Ireland or Landmark in Australia, through our Swiss entity (Western Gulf Advisory AG) and other European entities.

"This also holds for a takeover of Blackburn Rovers which will be acquired by Mr Ahsan Ali Syed personally as well as by his Swiss entity.

"Furthermore, we are currently setting up another European entity called WGA Sports for our sporting activities.

"Let me emphasise again that Bahrain is a separate entity that has got nothing to do with our investment activities at all.

With regard to the purchase of Blackburn Rovers our European investment team is handling the negotiations with the advisors of the Jack Walker trust which are proceeding very well.

"We are about to approach the Premier League to complete the paperwork soon."

Highlighted a few things, he is not suspected of war crimes (Thaksin) or potentially acquired his wealth in a dubious fashion (Roman), but it is Blackburn Rovers FC after all. Remember the bloke has purchased a £300 million share in McCabe only recently and a major land deal in Australia too, he obviously has money, if he passes the fit persons test then there is little to worry about.

nicko Posted Today, 09:41 PM

Trying to work out what the article means exactly.

The only thing that would throw more light on it is a timeline.

WHEN did Syed's office get shut?

WHEN did he team up with John McCabe the builder?

WHEN did he let slip to two broadsheet newspapers that he wanted Rovers.

That might shed some light on this.

I can see why he would want Rovers as an investment - I can also figure out that he is in with a builder who might build a new ground [and whatever else].

From what I hear he is wealthy, the question I always asked was 'why?' and the answer to that would presumably be for some development reasons. No harm there in truth.

Fair play to the BBC guy. I wonder who gave him the tip? A rival bidder [of which there are at least two]? Or even a concerned party at the Rovers end?

All very intriguing. One thing for sure - maybe as well that the old due diligence process takes time rather than the 'lets get it done by the end of the window' bandwagon jumpers and hysterics.

LT link- WGA denial

imy9 Posted Today, 09:50 PM

But when asked whether he had been ordered to close down his foreign investment company, Syed's spokesperson Julia Thiem said: “No he hasn't. We do deny that.

“There is no hidden investor and I don't know where these stories come from. It is all very easily checked legally.”

Thats a pretty confident response and as John said quick!

Bobby G Posted Today, 09:53 PM

I dont know the man personally but I know how it is to work in the Persian Gulf in any of the countries. "Laws and regulations" have a loose meaning and are largely applied case to case. I dont want to go into details however, it is far different to having your offices shut down in London, Paris or NYC. There are a lot of hidden agendas and velvet gloves that stroke other people in this part of the world. There is always a catch too. I wouldnt even be slightly worried if his offices are shut down there. Id be surprised but not worried. Take this from someone who has lived in the region for 25 years.

BBC 5live Facebook page with the story; just 47 likes for the whole programme series!

WGA relocation

kamy Posted 42 minutes ago

WOW looks like someone is definitely out to discredit Mr Ali. No doubt that there is some truth to the reports tonight but it has been sensationalised by the BBC reporter somewhat. One thing that people shouldn't worry about is funds, Mr Ali to get this far with his bid he would have proved to the Trust that he has the funds in place in the short and long term. The reason Saurin Shah didn't get this far was because he couldn't prove that he had the funds in place. Also Rothchild's would have checked out every aspect relating to Mr Ali before he was allowed to move to the due diligence stage.

I think that it is best to let the dust settle and see where we are at the end of the week. WGA are going to complete the due diligence by then and it will be ready to move onto the next stage, if the Trustees/Rothchilds have any concerns/doubts then it is at that stage that Mr Ali's bid will come to an halt, thus far there is no evidence to suggest that this is the case.

Transfer and takeover digest from the Summer Transfer Topic thread covering the period from Aug 31 12;05am - Sept 2 06;25am

Wrap-up of significant happenings for the end of window

nicko Posted 30 August 2010 - 23:36 PM

Greedy_Crawford, on 30 August 2010 - 23:30 PM, said:

Does all the money on Moyes have any substance?

I know who has been betting on it today...but I can't go into that here or anywhere.

And I know who may or may not have made a little 'tap up' call last week.

However I am not sure Moyes wants the job - and whether Villa have more money than Everton.

Mirror link Moyes/Allardyce to Villa?

preston blue Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:35 AM

BFS on BBC Radio Lancs this morning says that the Benjani deal is the last dealing he will make this window....believe him or believe him not !?

RevidgeBlue Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:06 AM

The LT also states that unless Roberts goes there's unlikely to be any further activity.

Abysmal window if true, Reid and Di Santo out and in, a knackered freebie for 12 months and a promising loanee without any option to purchase.

And the McCarthy money seemingly vanished.

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:30 AM

There's no point in holding stuff back today - it will all be out in the wash.

The Roberts to Wigan thing is very live but the word I have just got is that Di Santo is ready to go to Wigan too...as of five minutes ago.

Wigan were being messed around by Chelsea yesterday - pushing the player to a Dutch club for some reason while Martinez struggled to raise the funds to buy him.

However Di Santo wants to stay in the Prem and expects to go there today.

So Wigan are in the strongest position on this and will have their pick between Di Santo and Roberts.

That leaves Rovers hoping they can do a good deal for their unwanted striker.

Or else we all go back to bed.

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:43 AM

BETTING ADVISORY

Those who backed Gudjohnsen to Fulham last night should cover their bets by backing him to go to Stoke...both clubs are still trying to get him.

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

Rovers trying very hard to shift three or four today.

I hear Lars Jacobsen may have found a home.

Chimbonda has been offered around.

Roberts is clearly dependent on Wigan failing to get Di Santo...if Wigan take him it will be a buy...but they are still trying to get N'Zogbia out...possibly on loan now.

Why do they all leave it so late?

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:08 PM

Di Santo to Wigan on a permanent basis is about to happen...good story behind it...but saving that for the day job.

That will be bad news for the Jason Roberts sale.

Oh dear.

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:32 PM

67splitscreen, on 31 August 2010 - 12:29 PM, said:

Spanish club Hurcules (sp) have dropped their interest on Popov at 3m, maybe still a chance.

3 million?

Pounds...no way.

Euros...still unlikely.

Goats...now that's possible.

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:44 PM

Chimbonda and West Ham is becoming a disctinct possibility...talks are going on...could happen on a free by the close of play.

The local paper not got any of this?

Watch out for a major Ryan Babel transfer shock too...

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 13:14 PM

West Ham also trying for Bardsley at Sunderland - simultaneous to Pascal Chimbonda move. Probably one or the other.

What a circus.

Jamesw1982, on 31 August 2010 - 13:11 PM, said:

did west ham want jacobsen too nicko?

The interest in him is from abroad...got to say I am not working overtime on that one - it's a one-par story at best...wouldn't be surprised if Lecce were still there for him...

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 13:15 PM

davulsukur, on 31 August 2010 - 13:12 PM, said:

How is it Stoke can land him, but we can't?

The Coates family. Genuinely rich, genuine supporters.

Every time you use their bookies you help a rival...think on.

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 13:21 PM

whiteinpeace, on 31 August 2010 - 13:17 PM, said:

Are we doing anything today Nicko?

Rodrigo?

Done. Patience rewarded. Just a clever midfielder short of a very good window...

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 13:23 PM

Somebody mentioned it earlier...and tere could be something in it...QPR do have an interest in Jason Roberts.

However he is one of THREE possibles for the centre forward jersey there...including Rob Hulse and Tommy Smith.

Remember the Championship window opens after a couple of weeks.

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 13:34 PM

This is really getting silly...Hull City also trying for Jason Roberts...have they robbed a bank?

QPR quite bullish on their prospects of getting him. We shall see.

Balwer Posted 31 August 2010 - 13:35 PM

Someone mentioned the €3m for Popov story, this must be where it came from. Sounds from that awful translation like Litex asked Hercules for €3m, which their President is unwilling to spend.

http://bit.ly/duYPnw

Serious amount of € 3,000,000, which asked Grisha Ganchev of the Spanish elite Erkules to Ivelin Popov has stopped the transfer.

This revealed a personal Iberian club president Enrique Ortiz. "Currently we make no Popov, because FC is asked too much money for it. We're not ready to part with such a large amount so that the transfer will almost certainly fail," boss of Erkules cut.

"However, there are more hours until the end of the transfer period and must be patient," said Enrique Ortiz.

As is known, priest and was transferred to Blackburn in England, but from there and withdrew his services. Ivelin even missed matches lovchanlii for Europe and the domestic League Cup, just to be sold, but this does not help him.

Litex president Trifon Popov also said the transfer saga about national.

"When finished transfer period, then we will discuss whether the transfer of Ivelin Popov is ruined. Anything can happen, even to go in third different team, and remain in Litex, Lovech specify barefoot on the sale of Ivelin Popov in Blackburn or Erkules .

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 13:58 PM

Little update on the QPR and Roberts thing.

Their move for Rob Hulse would be £1 million plus a wage of £13,000-a-week.

Their move for Tommy Smith would be similar fee but slightly higher wages.

So their move for Roberts would have to be for virtually nothing to handle those wages of his.

By the time they decide it may be too late for Rovers to react...

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 14:23 PM

philipl, on 31 August 2010 - 14:17 PM, said:

twitter-

CryerRovers

Wigan have not approached Rovers at all about Roberts. West Ham apparently interested in Jacobsen or Chimbonda. No likely ins at moment

Follow-up City...

Wigan went to watch Roberts yesterday, checked out the package...and then Di Santo came back on the radar. You would know that if you have any contacts at Wigan of course...

West Ham line hilarious. Where did that come out again?

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 14:54 PM

Babel thing quite brilliant...

In a helicopter, heading for London.

Not sure if he is going to Spurs permanently or West Ham on loan!!!!

Fnatastic.

kamy Posted 31 August 2010 - 15:01 PM

Three hours to the end of a shocking transfer window for Rovers. If at the start of the window someone has said to me that we would end it with one loan and one freebie I would've laughed them out of town. We are now hurtling towards this actually happening. Unbelievable!

Feel incredibly sorry for Sam and his scouting team, they have spent hours looking at and evaluating players, only to miss out on each and every one of the players that they wanted. Sam achieved a minor miracle last season by getting us 10th.

Crumbs of comfort is that hopefully this is the last time we will have to endure transfer window such as this. With the trust pulling out the funding to the extent that they appear to have means that they are confident of selling the club to Mr Ali or one of the interested parties.

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 15:19 PM

Rob Hulse on his way to QPR. Fee agreed, just down to negotiating terms which should be ok.

Don't know where that leaves Roberts.

Zurab loan to Reading

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 15:49 PM

Kai, on 31 August 2010 - 15:39 PM, said:

It's effectively a transfer though isn't it (on a free anyway)? I mean Zurab only has a year left on his contract anyway and he's going to Reading for the whole length of it now. It's probably because it's so close to the deadline it's just easier for all concerned to get it done as a loan for now.

I'm just guessing and being optimistic though.

There is no way in the world that Reading are paying ALL of Zurab's wages. Noidea of percentages. There is so much else going on.

The Babel and Cole thing is comedy gold.

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 16:06 PM

There is late, late interest in Frank Fielding...

Blackpool thinking about taking him on loan - it's him or Ricjard Wright on a free.

However a Championship side has just been tipped off about this and may take him - if they sell their keeper and start a major merry-go-round.

Mental day.

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 16:36 PM

Schwarzer to Arsenal back on...Fulham have found a replacement in Alexander Doni of Roma...loan deal being sorted.

Rovers-related? Well, yes. Frank Fielding was fancied by Crystal Palace if Speroni had gone to Fulham instead.

Breathless.

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 17:40 PM

From what I gather Tuncay to Rovers is not right.

Still waiting on Pascal to West Ham being done. Some people like to drag things out.

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 17:58 PM

Too bizarre.

Chimbonda has been at West Ham all afternoon...Rovers wanted a fee in the end.

So now West Ham are signing Jacobsen instead.

You could not make this stuff up.

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 18:35 PM

Hearing some strange tales about why Jason Roberts did not move...have to do some work on this one...

QPR thought they could do a deal but it collapsed. My guy down there says that he suddenly became 'not for sale' during the afternoon No idea why.

There might be some fall-out on this one.

QPR signing Hulse and Tommy Smith instead.

imy Now that the window has closed, I will reiterate what I said earlier.

The line about not being able to afford wages is nonsense, complete nonsense.

http://www.lancashir...overs_chairman/

1. At the end of the season JW said that we are a trading club rather than a selling club, stating clearly that we could sustain LAST years wages THIS year without the need to sell ANYONE. Quote :we can just about maintain wage levels without the need for capital receipts.

2. He also said that Salgado was budgeted for as long as we finished 11th- we finished 10th. QUOTE: We actually budgeted to finish 13th but Sam put up a compelling case for Michel Salgado. This meant we had to re-forecast to 11th.

3. He also said that we had the Benni money available to use.

So to analyse:

We have today, MINUS

1. Reid- 30K

2. Benni- £30K

3. Di Santo- £10K

4. Elrio- £10K

PLUS

1. Mame Diouf- Nicko said that Man Utd usually pay for their own players and do not ask for wages/loan fee.

2. Benji- pay as you play.

Take into wage increases, does the above suggest to anyone that we could not fund another player?

We now also have a situation where at the end of the season we lose:

1. Zurab- £30K

2. Chimbonda- £30K

3. Jacobsen- £15K

4. Brown- £15K

5.Salgado- £40K

Thats at least £100K wages saved at the end of the season, does anyone think that we will see any of this again?

I hope that the trustees sell soon because they are slowly killing the club- by not doing anything! A frustrated man tonight.

Texan Rover Posted 31 August 2010 - 19:53 PM

You lot are a bloody embarrassment.

"How could Roberts be on 33K/wk?! Why do Rovers pay crap players so much money?!?!"

"Why doesn't anyone want to come to Rovers on a free/loan?!?! Why can't we sign Guti and Raul?!?!"

If Tuncay had come in, some numbnuts would be whining this time in three years about how no one would take him off our hands because he's on 30K/wk.

Everyone else around us have strengthened, eh? By spending 13.2M on Asamoah Effing Gyan, a guy who has scored 14 goals over two seasons and had a half-decent run of a half-dozen games during the World Cup? Well man alive, why didn't Rovers go get someone comparable?? I'm sure Robbie Findley could've been got for 15M!

Give me a break. Just like at the end of every other transfer window, people are losing their skulls over signings that other teams have made, probably 80% of which will amount to additions but not improvements.

What does this group of players have in common?

Benjani

Acquilani

Diamanti

Matic

Insua

Weiss

Ireland

Bellamy

Beattie

Sinclair

Degen

Taraabt

Fulop

You know what it is? They're all players that were signed by Premiership teams in past windows, additions that were considered "strengthening," who have been let to leave for nothing or next to nothing. It happens in every window: widespread panic that everyone else is strengthening, then later (and quietly) the realization that most of the players who were bought were just wasted money, wasted fees and wages, wasted time.

Did anybody watch the first three matches of the season? You seriously think this squad isn't good enough to stay up?

There's a takeover on the way. Breathe deep. Next window we'll be in 13th, but all this will be a distant memory. Or else it won't, and that window will be the same as this one, and we'll all survive another mid-table finish. Relax.

kamy100 Posted 31 August 2010 - 20:42 PM

If we are going to pick up somebody on a free transfer then I think that we have to do it before 5pm tomorrow, once the 25 man squad is submitted you cannot change it until January. Doesn't stop us from signing someone on a free transfer but they will not be able to play until January.

1864roverite Posted 31 August 2010 - 20:54 PM

Thats a nice thouight however no takeover is signed, sealed or delivered. There are no promises and no guarantees. The only thing certain is that BRFC are a few players less, the squad is bleeding money left, right and centre, the manager appears to be blowing steam at the upper management, the trust want rid and even the netting may not be able to be replaced due to the cost of a new net costing approx £2000.

Things do not appear to be rosy at the flower bed that is Rovers and unless we see an Indian Summer, our rose may well wilt never to be revived.

Things really do appear to have reached the depths. Rovers fans are just querying how much further they can drop.

The teams around us have strengthened significantly, even the teams who we thought would struggle like Wolves,WBA and Wigan have on paper better prepared teams. The next 5 home games will show us exactly how good our current crop of staff are.

Fulham

Sunderland

Chelsea

Wigan

Villa

Sandwiched in between are the following away games

man City

Blackpool

Liverpool

Spurs

Stoke

Newcastle

Thats is a run of games that is crucial and we have to have a number of wins if we are to look at 10th spot again. 18 points has to be the minimum return.

Thats why this squad needed improvement, needed tinkering and freshening. SA has not been able to do that and that is why I am worried that a lack of activity may find us horribly detached come winter.

Its not being defeatist, rash or unreasonable, even despondent. Its a reality. Thats why I am concerned.

nicko Posted 31 August 2010 - 21:07 PM

You finally get a chance of going out for a birthday meal with the lovely and fragrant Mrs Nicko and find out nothing has still gone through...

Oh dear.

By the way, van der Vaart is happening to Spurs. Harry even tells lies about his lies.

What a game.

I am not a wheeler-dealer.

Now **** off.

[THAT'S A GAG BASED ON THE WONDERFUL SKY INTERVIEW...NOT INTENDED AS A COMMENT AIMED AT ANYONE...]

Rovers official link Rigters loan

Mirror link Jacobsen not Chimbonda to WHam

LT link- no Popov Work Permit issues

nicko Posted Yesterday, 02:44 PM

POPOV - the work permit procedure is changed these days...you get one automatically if you have enough caps...you need an appeals panel if you don't...there wasn't an appeals panel yesterday...some odd people at Litex Lovech.

ASSULIN - is due back in England soon, but supposedly heading back to Man City...can sign as a free agent...is he fit?

nicko Posted Yesterday, 06:08 PM

Tom, on 01 September 2010 - 18:06 PM, said:

Sorry to gatecrash the thread boys, am sure you'll admit I only ever do it once the windows closed though.

I was just wondering, being as i pm'd Nicko ages ago to tell him I had 50 quid on Moyes at 12/1 when O'Neill first walked out, if there was any chance of the elusive first choice of our fans getting the job. Most of us are expecting the dire appointment of Kevin Macdonald or something equally uninspiring but it would be nice to get who we all want for the job plus 600 quid

Surely we will have a manager soon, it's been bloody ages now.

I hear Villa are going through an interview process now which will mean talking to the unemployed...

Whether they have the money in their budget to tempt Moyes and whether he has the bottle to jump are two big hurdles you will have to cross.

I think this one might rumble for a bit.

Mail link to Amdy Faye

Transfer League listing of all Prem transfers ever

Rovers might have been sold thread-

philipl Posted 30 August 2010 - 22:54 PM

nicko, on 30 August 2010 - 21:41 PM, said:

Fair play to the BBC guy. I wonder who gave him the tip? A rival bidder [of which there are at least two]? Or even a concerned party at the Rovers end?

All very intriguing. One thing for sure - maybe as well that the old due diligence process takes time rather than the 'lets get it done by the end of the window' bandwagon jumpers and hysterics.

Exactly

den Posted 30 August 2010 - 22:59 PM

Initially it's a shock, but the guarantee is that the whole procedure is being overseen by Rothschilds. They will be on the ball all the way throughand there will be no slip ups with the potential deal. If the current offer is not right, it wont go through. I would imagine that Rothschilds were fully clued up on all the financial aspects before tonight.

Chill, if the deal is right, it will happen. If the deal isn't right, it's better that it doesn't go through. We wont lose whatever the outcome. The emptiness between one deal collapsing and the next deal finalising could be unsettling for the locals though.

Let's hope Syed's deal is honest and goes through.

kamy Posted 30 August 2010 - 23:26 PM

WOW looks like someone is definitely out to discredit Mr Ali. No doubt that there is some truth to the reports tonight but it has been sensationalised by the BBC reporter somewhat. One thing that people shouldn't worry about is funds, Mr Ali to get this far with his bid he would have proved to the Trust that he has the funds in place in the short and long term. The reason Saurin Shah didn't get this far was because he couldn't prove that he had the funds in place. Also Rothchild's would have checked out every aspect relating to Mr Ali before he was allowed to move to the due diligence stage.

I think that it is best to let the dust settle and see where we are at the end of the week. WGA are going to complete the due diligence by then and it will be ready to move onto the next stage, if the Trustees/Rothchilds have any concerns/doubts then it is at that stage that Mr Ali's bid will come to an halt, thus far there is no evidence to suggest that this is the case.

kamy Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:08 AM

I have just been talking to Julia Thiem. She says that they (WGA) are angry and annoyed at this story because it factually incorrect, they are investigating excatly where this story has originated and will be releasing an official statement soon. She also said that this will not impact upon the due diligence process for Rovers, she also said that Rothchilds/Trust will not be swayed by this as they are in full possession of the facts.

Moppy Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:29 AM

Very little substance in this report

"Bahrain's trade and industry ministry said it closed a Bahrain-based company after it violated regulations by operating outside its remit."

I would be suprised if they hadn't. There is no time scale mentioned with regards to what the ministry is meant to have said and "closed a Bahrain-based company" wow, so that could be any in their area.

"BBC 5 live has learned the company is Western Gulf Advisory, run by Indian investor Ahsan Ali Syed."

Could be from anyone, have they any evidence? Or has Mr X phoned them and told them, catch 22 for reports say who told you risk losing your source but by not saying anything you stake your reputation on them. So lets see what this does to Goldberg's reputation, so enhanced by TalkSport :/

"The precise details of the offence are unclear, but it is understood that Western Gulf Advisory fell foul of Bahrain's central bank, which refused to sanction its activities."

Unclear, so Goldberg doesn't even know what he is accussing them of.

LT link WGA statement

philipl Posted 31 August 2010 - 16:43 PM

Bahrain Government record of WGA

This could be very embarassing for the BBC- If you look at that link it says WESTERN GULF ADVISORY B S C CLOSED

The closed refers to it being a Closed Joint Stock Company which is covered by the following definition taken from a Bahraini legal services web site:

Companies Law

Joint Stock Companies

A joint stock company is a pure shareholding company in which all of the members are liable for company debts to the extent of the nominal value of their shares. This type of company can take the form of an exempt joint stock company, a closed joint stock company or a public joint stock company. While the latter type requires a minimum of 51 percent Bahraini ownership, the exempt and closed joint stock companies may be 100 percent foreign owned. All forms of the joint stock company must maintain permanent offices in Bahrain.

Could the ex-Talksport guy really have run that story on something as flimsy as not understanding that a CLOSED Joint Stock Company is one in which shares are not available for Bahrainis to buy, not a company that has been shut down?

That is so basic I would be shocked (and relieved) if this is what this BBC story really boils down to but then again it is what I would expect at Talksport....

Just done a bit more digging, if WGA had indeed been closed down by the authorities, the fact it is closed down would be recorded on the page I have linked to for everyone to see. I think the BBC really could have egg on its face and a letter from m'learned friends on this one.

LT detailed interview with Julia Thiem

Archived