BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Deadwood

He's stating the obvious

Then what's the point of the story?

He was in talks with Reading but couldnt agree personel terms, then he comes back to us?

What did you want him to do - Sign on the dole?

We dont need him or want him, he needs to suck it up and move on which I'm pretty sure Sam would have told him to his face anyway.

If Sam said it to his face then there was no need to publicize it.

Would we be bothered if he had said it about Grella, another player picking up a wage for nothing

Yup, I would. The problem's not with the players, it's with our wage structure.

It is ridiculous that these football players are able pick and choose moves because it suits them.

No, it's called 'life'. He has a contract until 2011 and has every right to honour it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then what's the point of the story?

The point of the story is to highlight that he should leave.

What did you want him to do - Sign on the dole?

The wages on offer were hardly likely to be comparable to the dole were they?

If Sam said it to his face then there was no need to publicize it.

The LET ask, Sam answered its part and parcel of football, the manager has pointed out that Zurab's reluctance to move on is financially motivated. Which given that his move to Reading broke down because he could not agree terms, suggests that this is the truth.

Yup, I would. The problem's not with the players, it's with our wage structure.

Which the manager is trying to manage by shifting on "deadwood" ie the title of this thread and a category Zurab currently resides in.

No, it's called 'life'. He has a contract until 2011 and has every right to honour it.

He does indeed, it does not mean the manager and club should just sit back and accept it does it.

What is your problem with a player in the fringes of the squad being told he can/should leave?

Just because he is supposed to be a nice guy doesnt mean he should be paid for it does it? Do you get paid for being "nice"?

I'll step back away from this now, I dont want to argue with people about how the club or manager treat players.

But I do believe Sam is right to try and get Zurab to move on.

- Publicly ousting a (loyal) player doesn't help you sell him. It makes you look like an ass.

- Of course Zurab returned to Rovers. We're his employers.

- If Sam wants to sell him, he has a quiet word with the player and makes a few calls. An article in the LET hardly puts clubs on red alert or motivates Zurab.

- The club has every right to sell him, but they should also show him some respect.

It's pathetic when a surplus player doesn't budge, he's hounded by the fans (and now the manager), but when our star players hanker for a move they're called every name under the sun. :rolleyes:

- Publicly ousting a (loyal) player doesn't help you sell him. It makes you look like an ass. - I would agree to a certain extent.

- Of course Zurab returned to Rovers. We're his employers. - What the heck are you talking about? The point i was making was not about him returning to us as we are his emplyers.

- If Sam wants to sell him, he has a quiet word with the player and makes a few calls. An article in the LET hardly puts clubs on red alert or motivates Zurab. - Indeed, but if the player is not making the effort when the chance to move on comes along then why shouldnt the manager be able to make a point.

- The club has every right to sell him, but they should also show him some respect. - Yeah your right, no argument there. But if Sam hadnt mentioned the money thing this article would have just been viewed that Zurab was surplus to requirements and that Sam was advertising the fact, something lots of managers do. The mere mention of cash and people like you jump on the soap box and start telling us we shouldnt push poor old Zurab out as he's only doing whats best for him and how loyal he's been. How about the club doing whats best for the club! The club has shown him loyalty over the years have they not? Have they ever reneged on paying his wages?

It's pathetic when a surplus player doesn't budge, he's hounded by the fans (and now the manager), but when our star players hanker for a move they're called every name under the sun. - Makes virtually no sense at all, so what your saying is we hound a player that wants to stay, and hound players that want to leave? But we shouldn't hound the player that wants to stay becuase he's loyal, even though he never plays and is sucking valuable resources out of the club that would be better spent elsewhere. And I might add I am not hounding him to leave, I merely pointed out that it is in his and the clubs best interest to leave. In order for me to attempt to hound Zurab I would have to see him somewhere near Ewood on match day in the first place.

Whatever, I see you argueing the same point accross another thread.

Zurab is the best player we have, wohooo for such a loyal chap, glad we pay his wages. :glare:

Be honest, you are Zurab arnt you. :lol:

Hang on, didn't reading come in for him after his loan spell???

Why did it breakdown?

Was it Zurabs demands, or Rovers over his fee.

I agree with Topman, Joey et al private word fine, there's no need for the press to be involved.

My whole statement is based around the fact that Reading came in for him after the loan deal, but I suppose you were so irrate that I dared to suggest Zurab was taking the ###### you overlooked that.

Sam seems to think that Zurab's demands were the problem from the wording in the interview, but hey I guess he would say that wouldnt he?

Zurab should move on, simple as, he has no chance of making the team, this is a fact. The money he would have been offered by Reading would not have been derogatory by any means.

If Allardyce suggested that he is staying for the money then maybe he has a point, I reckon he has more of an idea as to why the transfer to Reading broke down than you or you merry band of Zurab lovers do.

A word in the ear clearly hadn't done the trick considering the article in the LET last week in which Zurab claimed he was going to stay and fight for a place. A place, that for him does not exist.

Model pro, nice guy, surplus none the less.

Because we were paying a % of his wages during his loan spell, something Reading aren't prepared to pick up. In principle, it would be lovely for Zurab to move on for his career, free up the wages etc. but I'm not gonna judge the guy for protecting his own interests. Fans can't have it both ways all of the time.

Hold on have I missed something but I keep hearing that Zurab is a loyal player, how exactly?

He has played a grand total of FIVE league games in TWO years for us. Any footballer worth his salt would want to play first team football so why has Zurab stuck around, loyalty or Greed?

Of course he has a right to stay for the duration of his deal but there is little difference between him and Grella who turned down a move to Gala because of wages!

Hold on have I missed something but I keep hearing that Zurab is a loyal player, how exactly?

He has played a grand total of FIVE league games in TWO years for us. Any footballer worth his salt would want to play first team football so why has Zurab stuck around, loyalty or Greed?

Of course he has a right to stay for the duration of his deal but there is little difference between him and Grella who turned down a move to Gala because of wages!

I don't know, imy. He's always given 100% for the club, never tried to make waves, and has allowed the club to ship him around on loan to lower-league teams. I've never made any distinction between him and Grella, anyway.

Btw, it's someone like Chimbonda we should be worried about. Player notorious for his itchy feet and unrest, frozen out of the first-team, yet has no incentive to move on? I'd bet my hat he's earning a mint here.

My whole statement is based around the fact that Reading came in for him after the loan deal, but I suppose you were so irrate that I dared to suggest Zurab was taking the ###### you overlooked that.

Sam seems to think that Zurab's demands were the problem from the wording in the interview, but hey I guess he would say that wouldnt he?

Zurab should move on, simple as, he has no chance of making the team, this is a fact. The money he would have been offered by Reading would not have been derogatory by any means.

If Allardyce suggested that he is staying for the money then maybe he has a point, I reckon he has more of an idea as to why the transfer to Reading broke down than you or you merry band of Zurab lovers do.

A word in the ear clearly hadn't done the trick considering the article in the LET last week in which Zurab claimed he was going to stay and fight for a place. A place, that for him does not exist.

Model pro, nice guy, surplus none the less.

Judging by the tone of you reply, I'll wager your the irate (that's how you spell it) one. I neither quoted you or ranted, I just wrote in bullet points. I assume that because most have agreed your venting your frustrations my way. You can interpret Sam's words all you like, this is what the Reading manager had to say:

Rovers want six figures

We're so desperate to get him off the wage bill that the only club to come in for him in ages on a permanent deal, gets priced out of a move. Zurab by all accounts, wanted to go to reading by the way:

Zurab tells his agent what to do

I'll wager given your stance over all this that if you were in Zurab's shoes you wouldn't take a pay cut for the good of the club. Two parties entered into that agreement and whether you like it or not he has every right to sit it out. So why is he taking the ######? because you say he is? We agreed to pay him that amount for that period, if we want rid perhaps we should have let Reading have him on a free?

Yes call me a Zurab lover, we sit round the camp fire singing kumbaya every saturday night. But I guess it's better than hanging round the park in a black hoody asking people to buy you cider.

Is it against the rules to make unwanted players train with the kids?

If not it's what I'd do as a manager - tell them that they're surplus to requirements and that they should start looking elsewhere. If they refuse to (for whatever reason) I'd have them training with the kids all the time until they buggered off.

Archived