BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Group D Discussion - Australia, Germany, Ghana, Serbia

Guest Kamy100

Agree that he is overhyped RDU, but he is still our best player. I think we can put Holmann or Vidosic in there though and not have to worry too much.

Overall I thought Bert was our best player, the tactics weren't good at all, and the central defense pairing is woefully short of pace. Hope we can bounce back next game but it will be very tough.

Having said all that, Germany was excellent.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Germans were cruising at 2-0, the 4-0 score sort of flatters them. They were excellent though. Typical really.

Flattered them!? They missed several easier chances than what they scored - it was like a training game for them!!

As a Kiwi, I am loving that result, now I just have to hope that we dont have a shocker and concede worse in our games :P

This little bit of useless triva was pointed out in my A-League teams forums, Aussie in World Cup Finals have now lost to East Germany (2-0), West Germany (3-0), and Germany (4-0) in that order, and their game against Ghana will be the first time Germany has not been the opposition or the venue for them in a World Cup Finals game.

You have to say that "dark horses" Serbia are going to remain very dark indeed. They are as good as gone home already after the first two results.

Haha, going to be very interesting in the last game

Based on Germany beating them they will go into the last game against Australia with essentially nothing to play for however if Australia beat Ghana (we recently have the wood on them so you never know) Germany then go into the final game against Ghana with essentially nothing to play for.

Germany v Serbia line-ups

Germany: 1-Manuel Neuer; 3-Arne Friedrich, 17-Per Mertesacker, 16-Philipp Lahm, 14-Holger Badstuber; 6-Sami Khedira, 7-Bastian Schweinsteiger, 8-Mesut Ozil, 13-Thomas Mueller; 10-Lukas Podolski, 11-Miroslav Klose

Serbia: 1-Vladimir Stojkovic; 3-Aleksandar Kolarov, 6-Branislav Ivanovic, 5-Nemanja Vidic, 20-Neven Subotic, 17-Milos Krasic, 10-Dejan Stankovic, 22-Zdravko Kuzmanovic, 14-Milan Jovanovic, 18-Milos Ninkovic, 15-Nikola Zigic.

Referee: Alberto Undiano (Spain)

====

Looks like Germany have kept the same team as last out, Serbia have made a few changes from the Ghana game. I'm expecting Germany to win this match though Serbia could be a dangerous opponent as they have to win and have some talented players at their disposal.

This is one of the worst referees I've ever seen. It's utter incompetence and I hope he's punished for it. Seven yellow cards, only one of which should have been given. Now the game is spoilt because Klose is given two yellows, neither of which should have been given.

• Backroom

There seem to have been a lot of cards already in this world cup. I appreciate the refs are trying to be a little more authoritative but this is starting to ruin matches. Almost as bad as Cahill's sending off.

There seem to have been a lot of cards already in this world cup. I appreciate the refs are trying to be a little more authoritative but this is starting to ruin matches. Almost as bad as Cahill's sending off.

Far worse than Cahill's IMO. At least that one should have been a yellow. Neither of Klose's were card worthy challenges. Hopefully Serbia also get a player sent off.

The referee is having a shocker. I actually thought that the Germans were playing quite well. They had a walk in the park against the Aussies and were coming up against a far better team in this game. Serbia are very good side, but just didn't perform against Ghana. If the Serbians win this game it will make this group wide open. The commentator is annoying me as well because he keeps saying the German names with a stupid accent.

• Backroom

Got to agree with Dixon. Klose should take some responsibility for making such a careless tackle for his second yellow.

I don't think the last challenge was deserving of a yellow. It's very easy to try and nick a ball from someone from behind and accidentally clip their ankle, which is all Klose did. It wasn't malicious and it wasn't ever going to injure the Serbian player. It's not like the Serb was in a potentially goal-scoring position, either. A free-kick, yes, but not an offence that deserved a card. A sending off should really only occur if a player has intentionally gone in maliciously with intent to injure another player or persistantly fouled in a dangerous way (or otherwise blatantly cheated the rules of the game).

I don't think Klose's contributions fulfil any of that criteria so for me it's not a sending off. Football is supposed to be a contact sport, but at this rate it won't be for much longer.

Archived