BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Group F Discussion - Italy, New Zealand, Paraguay, Slovakia

Guest Kamy100

Great defending by Winston Reid. He's played well today. Wouldn't look out of place in a good Championship team. Definitely has a bright future in the game.

He has come thru the Danish youth teams, and is highly rated. Very happy he decided to play for us a few months ago. He and Tommy Smith are set to take over from Nelsen at the back over the next few years.

I thought we deserved a draw there, we werent totally outclassed. We had a 5 min spell at the start of the 2nd half when we were still mentally back in the sheds, and they took advantage of it, even tho it was prob offside, but not too much complaints.

The ref was horrible, they started kicking our playmaker Elliot, and got away with it. We did look alot more likely to score when we started playing direct at the end. Thought we had wasted our best chance when Smeltz missed his late header.

Massive moment for NZ football history, our first point at the World Cup, it might not sound much but for such a small country it is.

White is the new Black B)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This result made my day. Nellies Kiwis getting a draw really put a smile on my face. This years World Cup has been conspicuous by a complete absence of any really decent games barring The Germans 4 - 0 and even that wasn't that good a game.

I love the underdogs and New Zealand are certainly that.

Come on the Kiwis!

Great result for a team that has a squad member who plays for...wait for it....CANTERBURY UNITED!

Great to see the Admiral with hand on heart during the national anthem, he must be so proud. They played well in parts but sometimes looked nervous, as if they didn't realise they were at the World Cup. Now they just have to see off the Italians, shouldn't be a problem :wacko:

Great result for a team that has a squad member who plays for...wait for it....CANTERBURY UNITED!

Great to see the Admiral with hand on heart during the national anthem, he must be so proud. They played well in parts but sometimes looked nervous, as if they didn't realise they were at the World Cup. Now they just have to see off the Italians, shouldn't be a problem :wacko:

One of their players apparently hasn't featured in a competitive game for almost 2 years (Mark Mulligan I think). But yea, incredible result for a team mainly consisting of A-league and local NZ players. Really happy for Nelsen, he deserves it. I hope he manages to score a goal before the tournament is out, even if they lose.

One of their players apparently hasn't featured in a competitive game for almost 2 years (Mark Mulligan I think). But yea, incredible result for a team mainly consisting of A-league and local NZ players. Really happy for Nelsen, he deserves it. I hope he manages to score a goal before the tournament is out, even if they lose.

David Mulligan, Wellington Phoenix signed him after he was released by Port Vale, he played 3 games for us and was shocking. We decided not to renew his contract at the end of this A-League season. He is a bit of a enigma, Ricki Herbert didn't play him, or name him on the bench for the Phoenix, but keeps selecting him in NZ squads.

Lets hope we can give Italy another fright in a few days time :D

Big blow indeed. Buffon and Pirlo are the two most valuable players for Italy this WC, without a doubt. If they go through, they will need to get both of them back for the final rounds - for now, Marchetti will be okay, he is a very good goalkeeper, as is his backup De Sanctis.

Not nearly as excited about the game today, our chances to pick up points are prob slim at best. The main thing I hope is that we dont get a spanking, so it still leaves us a reasonable chance to make it thru with an upset of Paraguay.

Same starting line up as the game v Slovakia, was hoping they would play Tim Brown instead of Ivan Vicelich in midfield. If we are to cause any problems for Italy, we will need to be more direct, like we were near the end of the last game. We scored 3 goals from set peices in a friendly against a weaker Italy side before the Confederations Cup, would be estatic if we could repeat just one of those.

White is the new Black :)

Long shot but Italy have been known to be totally frustrated by well organised physically strong sides with little technical ability. So don't despair foxx- I think you are going to be mighty proud of your lads and the admiral!

They have done a number of Fallon, with him sitting on the yellow and them falling over if he breaths on them, he has been taken out of the game for us. Might be a case for Chris Woods to come on at half time.

Gutted about the pen, but not surprised De Rossi went down with the shirt tug.

Archived