BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Group G Discussion - Brazil, Ivory Coast, North Korea, Portugal

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel kind of sorry for the Koreans. Another week on planet Earth before returning to Romulus. They made Portugal look like world-beaters. They really aren't.

They keep raving about the North Korean striker on BBC, but still can't get his blumming name right!

It's pronounced Jong Tay Say

He'd do very well in a good team.

I feel kind of sorry for the Koreans. Another week on planet Earth before returning to Romulus. They made Portugal look like world-beaters. They really aren't.

Surprisingly, I too felt sympathy for the North Koreans. They played hard, didn't dive, didn't moan, and conducted themselves with some class, from what I could see. I found myself rooting for them against Portugal, which was a complete reversal from who I originally planned to cheer for with beverage in hand.

I also think the North Koreans have one or two players on their squad that Sam would do well to take a close look at.

Why is that? The commentator at the game said 2-3 of them played outside of North Korea already. Have there been problems?

At least one of them has his own 'security' guard who follows him everywhere. The word "defection" springs to mind.

Surprisingly, I too felt sympathy for the North Koreans. They played hard, didn't dive, didn't moan, and conducted themselves with some class, from what I could see. I found myself rooting for them against Portugal, which was a complete reversal from who I originally planned to cheer for with beverage in hand.

The game yesterday was our 4th of 6 on this Cape Town holiday (Holland v Cameroun on Thurs and the last 16 game next week still to go) - and (it wouldn't have taken much after three draws) but yesterday was really enjoyable.

I agree that North Korea did themselves great justice in the first half and played with a refreshing honesty and straightforwardness, and it was harsh to see them on the wrong end of 7-0. We did the Robben Island visit the day before, and it was remarked that their players might have wanted to leg it down the tunnel, straight out of the stadium and over the water to the empty prison there. And freedom.

As for Portugal, well when Ronaldo is told to share the ball properly in attacking areas, then they have enough quality to do very well in this World Cup.

At least one of them has his own 'security' guard who follows him everywhere. The word "defection" springs to mind.

Ah. Got it. I was being somewhat dense.

On the other hand, if defection is an attraction to a national football star I can't help but think: 1) security guards would have the same thought; and 2) it would be very hard for a security guard to stop a defection in a foriegn country. The player is probably fitter than the guard. And what could the guard do? Stopping the player from borrowing Sam's, Nelsen's, Samba's etc cell phone to call an immigration attorney doesn't seem feasible. Which may be why so few play abroad.

Also looking forwards to it but not too much riding on the outcome. Tough looking route forwards for both first and second from this Group even if Switzerland tonk Honduras and of course neither Brazil nor Portugal can play their game to avoid facing Spain in the last 16 as that won't be decided until tonight.

Am I the only one on here to think Brazil are overated?

I feel Spain are a much better footballing side, Argentina have more bite up front, Japan could be real dark horses, they are technically excellent and work hard for the team, Holland look solid and on their day Germany are OK but very inexperienced and beatable, Portugal are a bit hit and miss and I will be amazed if England get past the quarter finals,

Brazil - Portugal should be an interesting game but, if I were Queiroz I wouldn't start several first team players.

Ronaldo already has a yellow card so he could be risking getting another and not playing in the next game.

Same happens with other players...

Am I the only one on here to think Brazil are overated?

I feel Spain are a much better footballing side, Argentina have more bite up front, Japan could be real dark horses, they are technically excellent and work hard for the team, Holland look solid and on their day Germany are OK but very inexperienced and beatable, Portugal are a bit hit and miss and I will be amazed if England get past the quarter finals,

They have only lost one of their last 28 matches :unsure: and they thumped Argentina in Argentina, Brazil have incredible balance in the squad. Not the flair of yesteryear but certainly enough to entertain and win against anyone left.

some of these players, you wonder....they know the world is watching them, many cameras from every angle, and they're still going go make ridiciolous dives like that? Don't they have even the smallest sense of honor?

I am glad I stayed up unitl 2am to watch that ######, Juan should have been sent off, Portugal should have had a penalty for handball in the box against Lucio, Felipe Melo should have had 4 or 5 yellow cards in the first half....

Portugal played for the draw even though they had +9 goal difference, just for that I hope they have to play Spain.

The refs in this World Cup are terrible, non red cards, non yellow cards, penalties for shirt pulling, no penalites for shirt pulling, handball goals....###### utter ######.

I cannot belive I'm going to be missing the Brazil - Portugal game. I get to watch virtually everything from that dire first week (though missing the Germany 4-1), but just as it starts to get interesting, I'm gonna miss it :(

You just don't know how lucky you were.

Don't bother with the highlights, unless you like watching the ref.

Archived