BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

I really didn't want to bring this back up but if what you say is true about the board wanting to cut the wage budget further and seeing it as a major priority, then why did we offer Pedersen a brand new deal?

Because his contract was up and our manager saw him as an important member of the squad. :wacko:

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because his contract was up and our manager saw him as an important member of the squad. :wacko:

Managers make mistakes but i would leave that for another thread... In all seriousness if we couldn't afford to keep him then we shouldn't have offered him a new deal, he was a prime candidate to get off our books and help trim the wage budget which is too high.

Expect Rovers to make a move for Benjani then if our budget figure of £2.5m is true.

I'd love Petrov but I don't see how we can squeeze another left sided player in now that Pedersen has a new deal.

Pedersen can't play there anymore as he can't cross a ball which he used to rely on since he had no real pace. If Petrov wasn't injury prone and we didn't have the emergence of Olsson then i would take a look at him.

No extra place money, allegedly would have meant Bennis nest egg would have had to have been scrambled and disappeared into the bowels of the players.

Leaving our transfer budget, if reports are to be believed at circa £1m. Yeh! :(

In that case, why was Sam deep into negotiations for a player valued at €5m almost a month before the season ended when I think we were in 13th place, and also reported to be looking at a player now subject of a circa £7m bid.

JW, must be pulling his hair out at all the money being flushed down the toilet in search of players we cannot afford.

As others have said it does just not stack up.

I also agree we would not advertise what are true budget is.

Wait and see, I guess, the end of the window is the time to access/speculate were the money has gone.[/b]

Wait and see is all we can do, maybe hope for the best too!

We can't talk figures because it's all speculation.

We can chase any player we like if the payment terms are right for us. We could sign a player for £15m if we can pay it off over a matter of years. Not all transfers, in fact very few are actually cash sales.

Nothing stacks up because we have the press picking numbers out of thin air, people on hear hazarding a guess resulting in the opening of many cans of worms and Rovers doing the right thing and keeping stum.

Please can anybody name any other club that has released information on how much they have to spend during the transfer window? Not one single club. It would be commercial suicide to broadcast how much we are willing to spend. If Rovers state they are going to spend £2m then I would say we actually have in the region of £5m, £6m or £7m to spend.

Wait and see is all we can do, maybe hope for the best too!

We can't talk figures because it's all speculation.

We can chase any player we like if the payment terms are right for us. We could sign a player for £15m if we can pay it off over a matter of years. Not all transfers, in fact very few are actually cash sales.

Nothing stacks up because we have the press picking numbers out of thin air, people on hear hazarding a guess resulting in the opening of many cans of worms and Rovers doing the right thing and keeping stum.

Please can anybody name any other club that has released information on how much they have to spend during the transfer window? Not one single club. It would be commercial suicide to broadcast how much we are willing to spend. If Rovers state they are going to spend £2m then I would say we actually have in the region of £5m, £6m or £7m to spend.

UTD 90m, Arsenal 30m Liverpool 30m, all press speculation of course, just like ours. ;)

At the end of the window I agree with your last statement.

I think it's a near certainty that Benjani will sign.

It isn't a terrible signing, but as others have said, I hope it won't be our only capture for a striker!

If there is any truth in there only being £2.5m available then that will be because we need to ensure the stability of the club and keep the books balanced just like any successful business has to, but I wouldn't read too much into it. If Sam has said that he's only £2.5m to spend then I'm sure he's playing games.

I don't expect the board to announce their budget, but if they're sniffing around Benjani and Beattie, you know there isn't much in the coffers. Wouldn't be the first time our money has been sucked into the black hole.

So in the short time since Pedersen was offered a bumper new deal, both Petrov and Hitzelsburger have been released on free transfers? Both would have been within our grasp and both would have undoubtedly represented an improvement on Pederrsen.

More and more I'm starting to think that this move was a huge mistake by the club.

I don't expect the board to announce their budget, but if they're sniffing around Benjani and Beattie, you know there isn't much in the coffers. Wouldn't be the first time our money has been sucked into the black hole.

This black hole business is just crazy. The money goes to keep Rovers head above the water and don't forget our season tickets need to be subsidised somewhere along the line. I'm sure there is no fiddling going on and the money is being used to balance the books now rather than worrying about it later.

It is all speculation, Dunny has said he'd love to see his friend Beattie back at the club and Sam has been interested in him before but that's all we've got to work on. Whoever we sign has just got to be up for the fight and give 100% every time they play. we'll be lucky to pick up another player like Santa Cruz but who know's?

Stoke reportedly preparing a £11m bid for Tottenham's Pavlyuchenko, while we're looking at their cast-off Beattie. Puts our position into real perspective.

Good luck to Stoke with that, when they finish in the bottom half next season he'll be off in a cut price deal to who ever is willing to pay him the most money. I cant even see Pavlyuchenko being interested in going to Stoke.

This black hole business is just crazy. The money goes to keep Rovers head above the water and don't forget our season tickets need to be subsidised somewhere along the line. I'm sure there is no fiddling going on and the money is being used to balance the books now rather than worrying about it later.

For someone who talks about speculation and the fact we're unaware what's going on behind the scenes, it's funny how that drastically changes just to suit your argument.

Good luck to Stoke with that, when they finish in the bottom half next season he'll be off in a cut price deal to who ever is willing to pay him the most money. I cant even see Pavlyuchenko being interested in going to Stoke.

The point is that our rivals can afford to buy better players than us. If we could afford someone like Darren Bent last season we would have competed for Europe. Instead, the club is stuck in a continued rut of having peanuts to spend each season. It's no wonder we end up selling our best players when we have no financial reward for finishing higher than budgeted.

For someone who talks about speculation and the fact we're unaware what's going on behind the scenes, it's funny how that drastically changes just to suit your argument.

The point is that our rivals can afford to buy better players than us. If we could afford someone like Darren Bent last season we would have competed for Europe. Instead, the club is stuck in a continued rut of having peanuts to spend each season. It's no wonder we end up selling our best players when we have no financial reward for finishing higher than budgeted.

I'm not arguing Topman. I'm putting across my opinion. If we cant afford it we cant afford it. That's my outlook on life. I cant really afford a 6 star hotel in Aruba for my holidays with out getting in needless debt so I'm going 4 star in Sharm. I've got to settle for what I can afford. If our rivals can afford more expensive players so be it, or maybe they are starting to dig a big hole and in a couple of seasons will not be able to afford to pay wages.

If we had made Europe this season do you really think we would be prepared for it? We had a good season finishing 10th with our current squad, Europe would be more of a hinderance for next season even though it would have been great for the fans. I'd love to be in Europe again but I'd also love to stand a chance of getting somewhere in the competition.

My opinion is that we must all have patience and give it time. we are aiming in the right direction. I don't see us as being stuck in a rut, if that was the case we would have been down there with Bolton and West Ham.

It is all too easy to go misty eyed about other folks' cast-offs.

Petrov is getting on for a winger who destroyed by sheer pace and has been plagued by injuries. Benjani could be spectacular but he too is injury-plagued. Ditto Beattie whom Stoke are desperate to be rid of for all their bullish transfer fee talk. So take your chance on the pot luck of picking the "right" injury prone 30+ year old.

Good luck to Stoke fitting Pav into the system they play. It might even work. There is a long history of Spuds turning gems into dross- not too much track record of their dross turning into gems when they leave though.

As for how much is in the kitty, Rovers are a £50m+ turn over business. After having followed the club's numbers for many years and been convinced I had it sussed more than once, all I can say is that good and bad things happen during the course of a trading year. I think the state of Rovers' finances can be reasonably guessed to the nearest £5m (10%) but beyond that I have been surprised (usually on the wrong side) too often now to be too certain on greater precision.

So whilst, Hughesy's individual points all have validity, the best guess at what is available to spend on wages and fees this summer is £5m plus or minus £5m! :D

Would love to find a copy of the Deloitte Annual football summary that was released today.. Would make interesting reading to see how our margins have changed since the breakdown in 08/09 that put us on 91% wages to turnover.

I still think we are looking for 1 ultra cheap and 1 decent striker, there cant be anyway we aim to go into next season with just Roberts and Kalinic... that would be scary.

I also have this evil feeling that zigic will suprise a few this world cup.. he may be a donkey but seems to have a decent goal/game ratio and works well in that target man role.

Good luck to Stoke fitting Pav into the system they play. It might even work. There is a long history of Spuds turning gems into dross- not too much track record of their dross turning into gems when they leave though.

I think that's a bit harsh on Pavlyuchenko.

I'm not against signing Benjani but it would have to be on a pay as you play deal. His knees and injury record are too dodgy for anything else. As for Petrov, he's a cracking player on his day but he could stand in the way of M. Olsson who continues to progress well. I hope Sam spends his money on a central mid (Guti) and a striker that Niko can feed off (Benjani/<insert random donkey's name here>).

What is really concerning regarding the future of this club is that we really need to keep pulling off outstanding transfer deals ala Bentley, RSC etc. Not only that, but if our academy doesn't produce a solid senior player every couple of years our squad will eventually be so old that even AC Milan will start laughing. Good thing Sam is big on sports science eh? ;)

Celtic make bid for Rovers target M. Pedersen?

Would love to find a copy of the Deloitte Annual football summary that was released today.. Would make interesting reading to see how our margins have changed since the breakdown in 08/09 that put us on 91% wages to turnover.

This is a stupid question, but does that mean 91% of our turnover went on wages? If so, that is dire. Truely dire. And that Pedersen should have been released.

Archived