BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

JW has consistantly stated that we are trying to get the wage % to turnover down and that it isn't currently at 91%, I believe he said something like 80% but that was still to high. JW a difficult job, he has to balance keeping a viable wage structure against keeping the manager happy in light of no transfer funds and keeping up with the rest of the PL who seem intent on pushing up wage prices.

You forgot aswell as keeping the fans happy!!

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The powers that be are doing an amazing job...

10th in the league...

Cheapest Prem tickets around...

We are not being plunged further into debt...

These facts make our achievements even more amazing...

Am over the moon that I have the opportunity to support such a well run club...

ps - 91%??? what did you expect...

pps - would be nice to have some transfer discussion / debate :blush:

The wider problem for all clubs is that it can be far too easy for a manager to p*ss a one-off £20m transfer budget up the wall by taking chances on foreign players who may or may not make it.

Without dredging up the past too much, I don't think Allardyce spent his budget at Newcastle very wisely. Not that I don't want us to have a £20m budget but you can see all over the place that money can get wasted far too easily. In our case, if the Trust were to release that kind of money for Sam to spend, it would most likely be one-off and, long-term, would make bugger all difference. Obviously in their eyes it's a risk on £20m not worth taking.

So how do we spend our hard earned cash?

Instead of mediocre transfer budgets we have low transfer budgets and high wages. The people who find the 91% figure shocking need to have a rethink. A high wage is actually a strong weapon in the transfer market when it comes to rejuvenating so-called cast-offs, rejects and players at big clubs who are apparently past it.

Within those three groups alone there is a dearth of talent to be had - and haven't we proved it.

I would love us to be able to get excited about a player that cost us £12m or to be able to sign the next Shearer. We all know that to do that we need to be sold to someone who is willing to put in millions for no return. We can argue until forever and a day about what is or what isn't in the deed of the Trust (not aimed at you, Topman) but one thing is evident that no-one on here can accuse the Trust of - they are prepared to do whatever it takes to keep us safely in the Premier League.

The Trust will be no doubt aware that we need at least some investment up front. Currently we have two senior strikers. Signing a 'cheap' but viable player such as Benjani, plus a "star" striker (by our standards), is probably what we can realistically expect. I live in hope that we sign Lewandowski because by all accounts he sounds promising.

We all want the club to make those "cool" signings and splash out a bit. But people don't realise that all this money floating around in the Premier League does leave talented players left for dead sometimes - and our high wage policy helps us to benefit from that and turn players' careers around to both our club's and the player's benefit.

Godd post and makes lots of sense!

Okay, i understand. Thinking about it i am pretty sure it was Marcus Pedersen with MGP.

I doubt that, Strømsgodset have a cup game tomorrow against Lyn in Oslo and Pedersen is in that squad.

And they also had a training session today before the game.

Lars Stubhaug, Adam Larsen Kwarasey, Lars Sætra, Krister Aunan, Alexander Aas, Joel Riddez, Komlan Amewou, Øyvind Storflor, Ola Kamara, Jim Johansen, Mads Ryghseter, Marcus Pedersen, André Hanssen, Muhamed Keita, Lars Christopher Vilsvik, Alfred Sankoh.

I'm with Topman, we need a better balance between wages and transfers, no-ones asking for 10+ a season but even 5-6 on fee's only would make a world of difference.

We're holding out for the best deals possible on players that are not wanted, look at Zurab as a great example. No-one has looked at him for ages, Reading come along and we want more, why? It may not help right now but his saved wages will mean more dollar to spend next summer. At the end of the day they'll move on sign someone else and we'll continue to pay him his 15-20K a week. Same with our three right backs, one must go, by any means, list one tout him round. I could also argue that one of Diouf or Bert should be shown the door if possible since we now have hoillet, but we won't. I can't remember the last time we transfer listed a player?

We've been told Salgado was above the budget, Benni left so I assume we're now back where we were, so any new signings take us back over budget as their wages must be paid. So we must sell players to bring in new ones, otherwise next year the transfer fund we generate will just go on paying the ever increasing wage budget.

At the end of the day we can't stay competitive in this league with between 2.5 & 5 million a year for wages and fee's every year. Look at were we are right now:

Our wage budget is at bursting point.

We don't have 60K a week for Guti. (peanuts in football)

Whatever money we do have must cover wages and fee's.

The new 8 million we got for the TV rights is going straight on what we have already.

We need to be more ruthless at times with our players sit some of them down and say "sorry lads thanks but your no longer needed". Make their agents earn their crust and find them new clubs, free's low fee's, future fee's I don't care the money we save on wages means money to spend in the future. Our squad at present is strong enough to stay in this league with Sam at the helm. We need a better balance between the two, wages and fees and even if it means taking hits on fee's now for me the benefits we'd gain next summer with saved wages would make a big difference.

Rovers are well run, but we're in a sticky situation IMO at present and one we must get out of quickly while we have the squad to do it. As soon as the new rules come in, fee's will drop everywhere since you can't spend what you don't earn, so our current model will not be as effective.

I doubt that, Strømsgodset have a cup game tomorrow against Lyn in Oslo and Pedersen is in that squad.

And they also had a training session today before the game.

Lars Stubhaug, Adam Larsen Kwarasey, Lars Sætra, Krister Aunan, Alexander Aas, Joel Riddez, Komlan Amewou, Øyvind Storflor, Ola Kamara, Jim Johansen, Mads Ryghseter, Marcus Pedersen, André Hanssen, Muhamed Keita, Lars Christopher Vilsvik, Alfred Sankoh.

Marcus Pedersen is indeed playing the match againts Lyn so he couldn't have been the guy you were seeing. :)

Marcus Pedersen is a great talent. Saw him at Ham-Kam 2 years ago and was stunned that non of the other "Tippeliga" teams considered him.

He is raw potential, but not ready for PL.

He's got a bit of an ego also. I like him, but his ego is a bit worrying.

That article is absolute horlicks!

We signed him for a lot more than 1/2 mil and Dunn has not been playing right wing, neither has Brett for ghe last two years in general.

There's so much wrong in that article it's hard to know where to start.

True - "Brett has been told he is free to go. David Dunn has usurped him in that role wide on the right and the club is looking to cut its wages bill."?! When has Dunn played wide right?

However I can easily believe Emerton has been identified as a player to move on. It is difficult to see where he fits in. We have three proper right backs and Hoilett and Diouf also vying for right wing. Plus it seems someone like Lewadowski or Benjani would also have a claim on right wing. For my money one of Diouf or Emerton should be let go, and despite the Aussie being a far more pleasant chap he is not as dangerous as Diouf.

True - "Brett has been told he is free to go. David Dunn has usurped him in that role wide on the right and the club is looking to cut its wages bill."?! When has Dunn played wide right?

However I can easily believe Emerton has been identified as a player to move on. It is difficult to see where he fits in. We have three proper right backs and Hoilett and Diouf also vying for right wing. Plus it seems someone like Lewadowski or Benjani would also have a claim on right wing. For my money one of Diouf or Emerton should be let go, and despite the Aussie being a far more pleasant chap he is not as dangerous as Diouf.

The only thing dangerous about Diouff is his driving

Brett is a solid performer though, and in games against the "bigger" sides when you need a solid midfield we cant rely on Diouf and Hoilett.

If Brett goes aswell as Grella we look very lightweight in midfield, Nzonzi, Dunn, Andrews,Guti(possibly), MGP arent exactly tough!

Hope we can tie up a couple deals this summer as i dont think we could go in to the season without streghtening certain areas.

The World Cup comes as a pleasent distraction though............ :lol:

Not a big saving in wages, probably only a small fee but may be add ons I suppose if he does OK.

Edit, or is he on a free.

Just been on the millers site, they reckon their getting a bargain, played him mainly on the wing, most are very impressed with him.

Marcus Marshall to join Rotherham.

"Moore told BBC Radio Sheffield: "Marshall will be done by Thursday this week, he'll be staying here permanently."

I doubt it considering his wages will be big including his fee, but I agree with Hughesy he would be awesome in the attacking midfield position.

Would he though? He scores the occasional spectacular goal but ive never been impressed with him when ever I have seen him(Once in the flesh and a bunch of times on TV). Would be too much for us to spend on a 28 year old with no sell on value as well, surely?

Archived