BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't want Tuncay now. He's got certain qualities, but he isn't what we need at this moment. Did nothing at Stoke either, so no thanks.

I was once a big fan of Tuncay's and thought he was a real coup for Stoke when he signed. However, he's shown absolutely nothing in his first season there. Furthermore, I agree that he isn't what we need. We need a goal scoring CF, not a silky-skilled flamboyant player who won't score an awful lot.

We need a CM and a CF and cannot afford to spend money on luxury players like Tuncay.

We might get a clearer picture after this tomorrow regarding finances.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/8209045.Tomorrow__Blackburn_Rovers_chairman_Q_A/

it will just be the usual stuff, "we dont have to sell any of our players" "we are back to being a trading club" "we have the money from the Benni McCarthy sale, and for ending 10th there is a bit extra for any transfers" He wont mention how much, which is quite understandable, but there will be peopel who will be pulling hair out. ;)

Emerton and Diouf aren't really good enough now though.

Salgado Samba Nelsen Givet

................ N'Zonzi

............ Dunn ... Guti

... Tuncay ............... Olsson

................. Kalinic

I realise that you're only musing here, but whilst that team looks strong on paper, I think it would be extremely ineffective. Both Dunn and Guti play in the hole behind the striker and neither have the legs or defensive abilities of say Emerton or N'Zonzi, or even Andrews! They'd be wasted there. As for Tuncay, I've made a brief post above on why I wouldn't want him. A team of our level couldn't afford to accomodate three luxury midfielders and a youngster whose defensive attributes are a little suspect.

I also disagree on Emerton. Before his injury he was a key player for us and had played consistently well in a number of positions. It's true he hasn't returned to his best, but his opportunities have been limited. To right him off is far too premature. I'm confident he'll force his way back into the team.

With our current crop, I'd be tempted to play:

Hoilett / N'Zonzi / Emerton / Olsson

Dunn

Kalinic

Bringing in a CF would mean we could go to a 4-4-2, and a new CM would mean we could put Emerton on the right and use Hoilett from the bench. Really, I'd only want Guti because a player of his calibire only becomes available once in a blue moon, and not because we really need a player of his type.

Even if you're back on the pitch after 6-10 months or so, it can sometimes take another season to get back to 100% after a knee injury like Brett's. Sometimes it never happens, but it's too early to give up on him. Great fitness to begin with, and has always had work-rate second to none, so I remain hopeful. His versatility makes him a very useful player to have around.

Statistically better.

LOL, good reply.

Guys, just to set the record straight on Guti. He is a central midfielder, who can play in the hole (attacking midfield) and on the left. He is not primarily a hole player as some seem to think.

On the whole Bert and others topic, what is the point of keeping players who can't play the roles we need to fill??? Our squad does not have balance IE 2 players for each position. We have a plethora of right sided players, some who can do a job in the middle and one left sided player.

Player loyalty is great but not at the expense of whats best for the more important aspect, the team/club.

Sometimes you need to be ruthless.

Even if you're back on the pitch after 6-10 months or so, it can sometimes take another season to get back to 100% after a knee injury like Brett's. Sometimes it never happens, but it's too early to give up on him. Great fitness to begin with, and has always had work-rate second to none, so I remain hopeful. His versatility makes him a very useful player to have around.

At 31 it could well go either way as you say.

I wouldn't want Tuncay now. He's got certain qualities, but he isn't what we need at this moment. Did nothing at Stoke either, so no thanks.

I have spoken to a number of Stoke season ticket holders who all say Tuncay is class, he plays miles ahead of his team mates, in terms of he is always a pass ahead of the brain dead players such as Fuller, Sidibe. We have players who can mix it physically and can play(proven under Hughes) in my eyes Tuncay would be brilliant for us.

I think Emerton could still do a good job in central midfield, but Allardyce seems to have completely written him off in that position.

I don't see what role he has at the club any more, we all know he's awful on the right wing (even worse in our system where wingers are more advanced) and we have loads of right backs.

Brett's been one of my favourite players over the past five years, but I just think the time has now come for us to part company.

We need to continue to look at lowering our overall squad age & therefore increasing the potential to sell on...if they still have something left in the tank! Perhaps that is something which Sam has been looking at (except when it comes to ex super-stars) ?!

Our oldest 10 players as @ January 2010...

Michel Salgado Defender 27 22/10/1975 Spain

Benni McCarthy Forward 10 12/11/1977 South Africa

Ryan Nelson Defender 6 18/10/1977 New Zealand

Vincenza Grella Midfield 11 05/10/1979 Australia

Yildiray Basturk Midfield 0 24/12/1978 Turkey

Jason Roberts Forward 9 25/01/1978 Grenada

Paul Robinson Goalkeeper 1 15/10/1979 England

Lars Jacobsen Defender 2 20/09/1979 Denmark

Pascal Chimbonda Defender 39 21/02/1979 France

Brett Emerton Midfield 7 22/02/1979 Australia

So 2 have gone, Grella should be on his way & now thier is possibility of Emerton going - with fans wanting another 1 to go (Chimbonda or Jacobsen)

It wasn't long ago that many of us wanted Tuncay to usurp Tugay as our resident Turkish maestro. Despite his lapse at Stoke, I reckon he could do a good job, playing across the front line and taking the pressure off Dunn.

I don't believe Guti is the answer and Sam has an ulterior motive for wanting him. Yes, he's a different class, but he's also 33 and comes with a Galatico wage packet. Our wage bill is already squeezing every penny out of the club, we can't afford to take another risk like we did with Salgado - because apparently it all adds up. That money would be better spent on trying to recruit cheaper players with a point to prove.

I think Emerton could still do a good job in central midfield, but Allardyce seems to have completely written him off in that position.

I don't see what role he has at the club any more, we all know he's awful on the right wing (even worse in our system where wingers are more advanced) and we have loads of right backs.

Brett's been one of my favourite players over the past five years, but I just think the time has now come for us to part company.

Bert has been a great servant and has played well, but for me he's one of those players who can do a job in a few roles but doesn't excel in any one specific role. He's an OK full-back positionally not the best, he's alright at right wing, but doesn't create much, he can do job in the middle, but has never really played there.

Diouf and Hoillet cover the right wing.

Salgado and Jacobsen the right back slot.

I don't see him as a sitter but box to box, but we have Gamst and hopefully Guti who will fill that central slot.

Sitters are N'zonzi with Keith/Linganzi

Hole player is Dunn.

So potentially there is a role for him in the middle but mearly as cover. I'd far rather see us move him on and use the money we gain from it to sign a palyer who plays that role as his first choice position. Square pegs in round hole and all that. We already have Gamst who's learning his trade in there do we really want another doing the same?

His wages will be high as well a smallish fee and those of the books, if he has a good world cup mean more funds to spend long term (he's got to be on at least 30K).

It wasn't long ago that many of us wanted Tuncay to usurp Tugay as our resident Turkish maestro.

And i didnt understand then where all the enthusiasm came from at that point either. He scored an awesome overhead kick and only looked half decent & half interested in a relegated Middlesbro side

Despite his lapse at Stoke, I reckon he could do a good job, playing across the front line and taking the pressure off Dunn.

So spend £4mil + Big wages on a player to replace Dunn playing in the hole? We dont have the cash to do that. If we spend on a transfer fee im sure it will be on a goalscorer. Not a luxary player that flatters to decieve.

I don't believe Guti is the answer and Sam has an ulterior motive for wanting him. Yes, he's a different class, but he's also 33 and comes with a Galatico wage packet. Our wage bill is already squeezing every penny out of the club, we can't afford to take another risk like we did with Salgado - because apparently it all adds up. That money would be better spent on trying to recruit cheaper players with a point to prove.

Care to speculate on what you believe this motive maybe?

I'm all for Guti his visions ans passing could be exactly what we need especially against the weaker teams in our league. But only if it keeps us within budget, I'm also keen to know if he'd want 1 or 2 years as I suspect 2.

£4m is too much for Tuncay, but around half of that would be a snip. When Dunn is inevitably crocked, Tuncay can come into his position and provide that creativity.

Care to speculate on what you believe this motive maybe?

Sam is a true egotist. During his interviews, he's forever bragging about his time at Bolton and now Blackburn. He wants the plaudits for bringing another world star to ickle old Blackburn. I don't think it's worth the hype and the long-term financial ramifications.

That's just not true, LeChuck. Admittedly, he was poor there for a time, but in the season or two prior to his injury when he was played on the right wing, he was consistently one of our best performers. I do agree that he is best at RB though and that Salgado seems to have cemented that position.

That's just not true, LeChuck. Admittedly, he was poor there for a time, but in the season or two prior to his injury when he was played on the right wing, he was consistently one of our best performers. I do agree that he is best at RB though and that Salgado seems to have cemented that position.

When we was that? I honestly don't remember.

Bentley was our right winger for quite a long time, then when Ince came he did play on the right but he wasn't very good, then he got that long term injury in January. He hasn't had an extended run since.

Thats because it didnt happen. Emerton is a terrible right winger, Trev must have had too many Babychams last night.

I never saw Tuncay as a replacement for Tugay because they are vastly different types of midfielders. Tugay rarely charged forward but pulled the strings from the back or centre of midfield. Tuncay is someone who will run at defences (either down the flanks or through the middle) and cause problems that way. The closest resemblance I can liken him to is Eyal Berkovic.

You know I wasn't talking literally, right?

Sam is a true egotist. During his interviews, he's forever bragging about his time at Bolton and now Blackburn. He wants the plaudits for bringing another world star to ickle old Blackburn. I don't think it's worth the hype and the long-term financial ramifications.

I can see the logic behind your thinking. Lets just hope if he does come he can make the contribution most are hoping he can.

Bentley was our right winger for quite a long time, then when Ince came he did play on the right but he wasn't very good, then he got that long term injury in January. He hasn't had an extended run since.

Ah I remembered it slightly wrong. He played on the right wing under Ince and, IMO at least, was our best and only decent performer during that regime. Before that, he had played well in an unfamiliar CM position, and brilliantly at RB. Prior to that, admittedly, he had played poorly at RM for a fair while.

I like Emerton because he's a great athlete, is hugely versatile, has a great attitude, is reasonably loyal, and IMO has proven that he can play well on the right wing. I remember this board's reaction to his injury as being one of huge concern because he had been playing particularly well.

Thats because it didnt happen. Emerton is a terrible right winger, Trev must have had too many Babychams last night.

:lol: Babychams

Our oldest 10 players as @ January 2010...

Michel Salgado Defender 27 22/10/1975 Spain

Benni McCarthy Forward 10 12/11/1977 South Africa

Ryan Nelson Defender 6 18/10/1977 New Zealand

Vincenza Grella Midfield 11 05/10/1979 Australia

Yildiray Basturk Midfield 0 24/12/1978 Turkey

Jason Roberts Forward 9 25/01/1978 Grenada

Paul Robinson Goalkeeper 1 15/10/1979 England

Lars Jacobsen Defender 2 20/09/1979 Denmark

Pascal Chimbonda Defender 39 21/02/1979 France

Brett Emerton Midfield 7 22/02/1979 Australia

So 2 have gone, Grella should be on his way & now thier is possibility of Emerton going

With the exception of Robinson, aren't the bulk of the remainder in their last year or two of contract? Salgado, Roberts, Jacobsen and Chimbonda (and I think Diouf, by memory) all have only a year, and I think Nelsen has two years. Even doing nothing the Rovers will be a dramatically different, and likely much younger, squad at the conclusion of next season.

Archived