BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bert Emo To Go?

From "The Australian" newspaper:

INJURY-hit Brett Emerton is fighting to be fit for Australia's World Cup opener against Germany and battling for his club future after being put up for sale by Blackburn Rovers.

The English Premiership outfit have already offered the winger to Turkish club Galatasaray, and the pressure on the 31-year-old to shake off the calf injury that has kept him out of the Socceroos World Cup warm-up games has been ratcheted up with his club future at the crossroads.

The willingness of Rovers coach Sam Allardyce to part with Emerton, who has scored 17 goals in a 72 appearances for Australia, comes in the wake of a difficult 16 months for the Sydneysider. After fighting back from a serious cruciate ligament injury last September, Emerton has become surplus to requirements at Rovers, with seven of his 29 appearances last season coming off the bench following his return from surgery.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Related CoverageKewell ready but realistic Fox Sports, 2 hours agoEmerton ready to make up for '06 The Australian, 13 hours agoBrett Emerton driven by regret Fox Sports, 14 hours agoEmerton playing for his future The Australian, 3 days agoDeja vu for Socceroos Herald Sun, 29 May 2010.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

The Lancashire club believes he is now past his best with a move to Galatasaray, playing alongside fellow Soccerooos Harry Kewell and Lucas Neill, looking more than likely.

When fully fit, Emerton is a certain starter for Australia and could have a big impact in South Africa but Richard Garcia remains on standby to take his spot should he fail to prove his fitness at training this week. Socceroos coach Pim Verbeek could even switch Jason Culina to the right side of midfield and fill his slot with Carl Valeri as a second option.

With just five days to go before Australia take on Germany in Durban, Emerton, who still has two years to run on his Ewood Park deal, didn't even appear among the substitutes in the 3-1 loss to the USA and his renowned powers of recovery will be tested to the limit if he is to make the cut in Durban.

But he did put in his first full training shift for the Socceroos yesterday since joining the squad nearly three weeks ago as they went through a 60-minute session at Roodepoort Athletics Stadium outside Johhannesburg.

And the word is that Verbeek will gamble on the durable Emerton against Germany, so long as he comes through unscathed this week.

Emerton, who joined Rovers in July 2003 for $500,000 from Feyenoord, has made 259 appearances for the club scoring 15 goals.

Blackburn have reportedly told Emerton he is free to go, with David Dunn having taken over the right wing and the club looking to cut its wage bill.

Emerton signed an upgraded four-year deal in July 2008 but it is clear Rovers don't see him as part of their long term plans, meaning the Socceroo will be on the lookout for a new club once his World Cup duties are over.

Meanwhile, midfield enforcer Vince Grella was given a 24-hour leave pass after contracting a heavy cold but is not in doubt for the Germany duel.

Tim Cahill, was only allowed a few light stretches and a gentle stroll aroiund the outside of the field alongside physio Phil Coles as Verbeek made sure there was no untoward reaction from the neck injury that forced him off against the USA.

John, pity you didn't copy the date of the article, as you'd have seen it was from the 8th May, and in fact the same story as the one that appeared the following day in the same publication by the same bloke...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/brett-emerton-is-looking-for-a-new-club-after-being-de-listed-by-blackburn-rovers/story-e6frg7mf-1225877216749

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/world-cup-2010/injury-hit-emerton-on-his-way-out-of-blackburn-rovers/story-fn4l4sip-1225877110601

There as so many inaccuracies its untrue, David Dunn keeping him out of the side on the right wing? Emerton costing $500,000? The Australian doesn't exactly have a reputation for accuracy, its a Murdock rag after all.

• 1 month later...

And leave ourself with one recognised RB, who is towards the latter stages of his career? blink.gif

Ramm is supposedly starting to come through who might be able to provide cover when required.

At the moment we have Emerton Jacobsen and Chimbonda, all of whom we certainly don't need and who must be burning up north of 90 - 100k p.w in wages.

Ideally we need to get to a stage where for a lot of positions we have one outstanding senior player being hard pushed by an exciting prospect from the academy.

Instead of three decidedly average players nearing the veteran stage sucking the wage bill dry.

I much prefer Emerton to Jacobsen and Chimbonda at rb myself but Sam has shown a strange reluctance to play him there.

No leave us with Salgado - Emerton - Ramm.....hardly think we need 5 options for that position do you?! :blink:

Crikey forgot about Salgado - make that 120 - 130k p.w burning a hole in the wages just at RB. :blink:

And I don't rate any of Salgado Chimbonda or Jacobsen personally.

Jacobsen & Chimbonda alone must be £50k a week minimum/ £2.6m year.....wasted money

Ramm has serious potential....potential that can only be realised if we give him opportunites - something he wont get if he has those 2 before him.

I've never really seen Ramm play (apart from the odd reserve game featured on LFC TV). What are his strengths/weaknesses and what kind of player is he? Is he similar to Glenn Johnson, Gary Neville, Patrick Valery?

The late Keith Newton as a younger lad, Jackson Ramm is the closest I have ever seen to him in style and composure, looks to have it all, these next two years are huge for the lad!!

Reads the game well, good passer of the ball and can put a foot in too, not the slowest by a long way either.

No leave us with Salgado - Emerton - Ramm.....hardly think we need 5 options for that position do you?! :blink:

If you saw Emerton play under Hughes at RB, you'll have realised that he was useless in that position. Oppositions exploited his inability to head the ball, and he was useless at tackling. He is at best an emergency RB, not someone you would play week in week out. Salgado is at an old age, and sooner or later, he'll have injuries. Against better class opposition, his weaknesses are also exploited and may well cost us this season. So in my opinion, either Chimbonda or Jacobsen have to stay, to keep us with 2 recognised right backs.

Ramm is too young, and still hasn't had much experience. You can say Jones was the same, but not every youngster picks up the pace of the PL like Jones has done. So to start the season with just Salgado, and expecting Ramm to cover for him is too much of a risk in my opinion.

If you saw Emerton play under Hughes at RB, you'll have realised that he was useless in that position. Oppositions exploited his inability to head the ball, and he was useless at tackling.

That's not true at all. He was very good at right back.

You have to back up these supposed goals he cost us with some hard examples, because I doubt you'll find many people agreeing.

That's not true at all. He was very good at right back.

You have to back up these supposed goals he cost us with some hard examples, because I doubt you'll find many people agreeing.

Quite, Emo was solid at right back but I still think his best position is central, or right, mid and he should stake his claim there (instead of Andrews!) Someone with as much versatility as Emo has and the injuries we get has GOT to stay, he saves us 150 grand a week in covering RB, RM, RW.

The late Keith Newton as a younger lad, Jackson Ramm is the closest I have ever seen to him in style and composure, looks to have it all, these next two years are huge for the lad!!

Reads the game well, good passer of the ball and can put a foot in too, not the slowest by a long way either.

That is some comparison, If your right we could have a Premier league quality defence in a couple of seasons comprising of our own academy players.

Newton and Billy are my all time FB's at Ewood.

Having not seen Ramm myself, your comparison fills me with hope that our own academy has turned the corner.

Archived