BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Announcing Crews

doctorryan

After the vuvazelas, Adrian Chiles must be the most irritating thing about this World Cup. So smug and sarcastic.

Say what you want about the BBC panel but at least there's some chemistry. I've yet to hear a single laugh at one of Chile's 'jokes'.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the vuvazelas, Adrian Chiles must be the most irritating thing about this World Cup. So smug and sarcastic.

Say what you want about the BBC panel but at least there's some chemistry. I've yet to hear a single laugh at one of Chile's 'jokes'.

Really?

I like the guy, he's a regular fan who has hit the jackpot- and he knows it.

He looks delighted to be there, unlike the smug, clubby still in the 1990s complacent BBC effort.

Ps Reading the takeover thread, Sam, Iain Dowie and Souness have been on Egyptian tv throughout, ex-pros must look forward to tournaments as much as those involved!

Ps Reading the takeover thread, Sam, Iain Dowie and Souness have been on Egyptian tv throughout, ex-pros must look forward to tournaments as much as those involved!

SABC in South Africa had a whole host of random people as pundits, from well known people such as Keegan, Ince, Sherwood, Ardilles, Houllier to people like Gary Mabbutt, Gary Bailey and Terry Paine (who is THE most boring, negative pundit I've ever heard).

One of the three Swedish channels broadcasting the World Cup has had Martin Olsson as a guest pundit! Other ex PL-players include Anders Andersson (played 6 games for us in 1996 or so I believe), Henrik Larsson and Marcus Allbäck (Villa failure who scored against England in the last WC).

Souness has also been on RTE. Enjoyed watching him in the studio while I was there for a week - he got especially upset when talking about player power nowadays.

Am I the only one who has actually enjoyed Shearer?

Like I said before, Chiles was suited to the end of week, unbuttoned format of MOTD2. But to make him the face of ITV Football (which is already scrambling for dignity) was a bizarre choice. He doesn't have what it takes to be a frontline presenter, umming and ahhing his way through the autocue and making lame wisecracks that sink quicker than a lead balloon.

#### me it was torture listening to Guy Mowbray and Mark Lawrenson. The pure England bias was nauseating. Sure, I expect some bias but if you're a professional commentator you have to be as objective as possible. They only shut up once the Germans soundly swatted England aside.

I like Adrian Chiles too. He's down to earth and tells it how it is. His jokes aren't laugh out loud but they make me chuckle to myself because he knows how to lighten the mood.

Peter Drury has increasingly riled me as the games have gone on.

USA v Ghana:

'Do it for Africa'

'Goal for Africa'

'corner for Africa'

Don't forget: 'The United States of America vs. the United States of Africa.'

On one of the channels broadcasting we have: Jan Åge Fjørtoft (Former Swindon and Boro player), Rune Bratseth (Former Werder Bremen player) and Andre Bergdølmo(former Ajax, Borussia Dortmund player). They have a bad tendency to try and make everything tabloid and come across with lame jokes.

On a side note Morten Gamst Pedersen have been invited to the WC show during and after games where he has said some stuff. He was also texting during a reportage about children support in Africa and didnt finish the text when the reportage ended and the camera caught him texting and putting his cell-phone in his pocket.

Don't forget: 'The United States of America vs. the United States of Africa.'

I second that Peter Drury was ____ at the USA vs. Ghana match. Typical idiotic statements about Africa as if it a hommogenous country, always searching for the next soundbite to shout down the microphone at full volume and generally being a right nob. And the "Bye Bye big American Guys" comment was just one example of why IYTV should never be allowed to bid for any more games ever again. Even Channel 5 is better than listening to fools like Drury and Tildsley.

Clive 'That Night in Barcelona ©' Tyldsley is a shocking presence to have blaring from your TV. He's the worst kind of impartial commentator and a typical plastic United fan down to his boots. ITV's highlights of yesterday's game were hugely enjoyable however.

My enmity towards Mark Lawrenson has deepened during this World Cup. He's a snivelling, pyschophantic smart-arse who I was once ashamed to acknowledge as a fellow Irishman. However, after his performance during Sunday's broadcast in particular I know that's no longer a problem.

I love the RTE coverage to be honest. Giles, Brady & co are excellent value. Brady's stunned reaction to the England-Algeria game was one of the funniest things I've seen all year.

Souness has also been on RTE. Enjoyed watching him in the studio while I was there for a week - he got especially upset when talking about player power nowadays.

Am I the only one who has actually enjoyed Shearer?

I like Shearer to be honest. His shirts are horrific but he does know what he's on about and when he wields that "I'm gonna stick this penalty right down the middle" look in his eyes it takes me back to our glory days.

On the subject of the BBC studio, please tell me I'm not the only one who doesn't get how Colin Murray has been elevated to his current level (both on TV and radio). The guy is absolutely useless and his cloying anti-Maradona comments last week were nauseatingly transparent. His abuse of the Queen's English is just as distressing.

'The Nigerians have went 400 tournament minutes without scoring.'

'The tournament has came to life.'

'The game started terrible.'

Unacceptable for Auntie.

Unrelated to the commentary, but has anyone else noticed BBC online's shocking coverage of the tournament? I've been attempting to watch games in work on a very decent computer but the coverage is constantly stalling, freezing, buffering etc. Not only that, they've a bloody great text update on the left hand side that refreshes every thirty seconds causing absolute mayhem.

ITV's online stuff is far superior surprisingly.

Colin Murray was a horrible choice to replace Chiles. He contributed to the Five TV Football debacle and you can almost cringe at how hard he's trying to be tongue-in-cheek. Frank Skinner would have been a legendary replacement. Guy cracks me up!

Unrelated to the commentary, but has anyone else noticed BBC online's shocking coverage of the tournament? I've been attempting to watch games in work on a very decent computer but the coverage is constantly stalling, freezing, buffering etc. Not only that, they've a bloody great text update on the left hand side that refreshes every thirty seconds causing absolute mayhem.

ITV's online stuff is far superior surprisingly.

Strange, I've experienced the exact opposite.

Never had a problem with a BBC stream but ITV's barely works.

I second that Peter Drury was ____ at the USA vs. Ghana match. Typical idiotic statements about Africa as if it a hommogenous country, always searching for the next soundbite to shout down the microphone at full volume and generally being a right nob.

Indeed. I am sure the anticipation in Cairo for Ghana's quarter final is unbearable!

Not seen him yet Charles, nor Julie Foudy :( .

However, you can add Chris Fowler, Mike Tirico & Bananaman to the list.

You think maybe there's a reason why ESPN hired those listed above (in the first post) to call the matches for broadcast here in the states? :D

Or use American sport analogies to explain all points... good and stupid.

Exhibit A: John Harkes (ugh)' Argentina's distinctive sky blue and white stripes are the New York Yankees of international football.'

uh.... thanks John.

Another thing that really got on my tits was Hawkes' and even the Brit commentator's flagrant homerish on all things American..... I understand you gotta to know which side your bread is butter and so forth.... but really now, I expected better.

That's really my only quibble. Thank God ESPN is using Brit commentators because if John Paul Dellacamera had been cajoled from obscurity I

swear I'd have no choice but tune into Univision... home of the howliing Mexican and his pet monkey Bracamontes. ugh.

I second that Peter Drury was ____ at the USA vs. Ghana match. Typical idiotic statements about Africa as if it a hommogenous country, always searching for the next soundbite to shout down the microphone at full volume and generally being a right nob. And the "Bye Bye big American Guys" comment was just one example of why IYTV should never be allowed to bid for any more games ever again. Even Channel 5 is better than listening to fools like Drury and Tildsley.

They're at it again. Uruguay vs Africa :angry2:

They're at it again. Uruguay vs Africa :angry2:

Typical patronizing, hyperbolic guff from ITV Football.

And how come Desailly is now the face of Ghana? He wasn't proud enough to represent them when he was a player, but now he's happy to hop on the bandwagon.

Some imo dodgy awards from the telewag. Personally I can't stand ITV and have to have radio commentary on.

Chiles gives ITV edge in telly war

Best presenter: Adrian Chiles (ITV).

Best British pundit: Gareth Southgate (ITV).

Worst British pundit: Alan Shearer (BBC).

Best foreign pundit: Jurgen Klinsmann (BBC).

Worst foreign pundit: Edgar Davids (ITV).

Best interviewer: Gabriel Clarke (ITV).

Best commentator: Clive Tyldesley (ITV).

Best co-commentator: Mick McCarthy (BBC).

Worst co-commentator: Mark Bright (BBC).

Best theme tune: ITV.

Archived