BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] When Dalglish Stepped Down....

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure it was something like we had agreed to sign batistuta with fiorentina but their chairman got cold feet saying if he had went through with the deal he would be lynched or something like that.

Which is basically what happened when they did sell him.

"Why would we want Zidane when we have Sherwood?"

That absolutely must be a misquote, or at least violently taken out of context. Not only does every other club have a story where an old manager has bizarrely likened an old workhorse to a future star, it also makes no sense to compare Zidane and Sherwood like that since they are as different as players can be. I really think that sentence never has been uttered, at least not in the way suggested.

I read years ago that Flitcroft was the other player mentioned in the quote. We bought him right after winning the title and in fairness, at the time Flitty was a very good attacking midfielder at Man City. He got injured and was never as flairish as before.

Didnt Oliver Bierhoff turn us down.And didnt we try to sign Gabriel Batistuta but he turned us down saying he'd recieved death threats if he left fiorentina?

We were really close to Bierhoff.

Somewhere at home, I have a bet slip from Ewood Park with his name listed as a Blackburn player on the first scorer list. That's how close it was.

Not that he turned out to be a world beater, but what happened with Marek Czitko (may have got that name wrong)? He even played for Blackburn on one of the manager games I had at the time.

Not that he turned out to be a world beater, but what happened with Marek Czitko (may have got that name wrong)? He even played for Blackburn on one of the manager games I had at the time.

Backed out and decided to stay in his native Poland - according to Wiki.

The reason KD actually stepped down was apparently because Jack was questioning his signings, Mark Kennedy and Marc Overmars spring to mind.

Not buying after winning the league sort of backs up that claim I guess. Jack was an intelligent guy, but not building on that success beggars belief, the decline soon set in.

Was the reason that Jack stopped backing Kenny in the transfer market thus Kenny got peed off and duly resigned.

Think Jack Walkers actions had alot to do with Kenny Dalglish resigning, 'if aint broke dont fix it' was the scary quote,just after he resigned as manager Kenny had signed a inferior player like Jeff Kenna on deadline day when he wanted a couple of higher profile players. Then thers the signing of Matty Holmes close season under Ray Harford two below standard players bought on the cheap- Jack didnt get everything right.

Was the reason that Jack stopped backing Kenny in the transfer market thus Kenny got peed off and duly resigned.

Think Jack Walkers actions had alot to do with Kenny Dalglish resigning, 'if aint broke dont fix it' was the scary quote of just after he resigned after Kenny signed a inferior player like Jeff Kenna on deadline day, then Matty Holmes close season under Ray Harford two below standard players bought on the cheap.

With hindsight 9mill for Zidane and Dugarry was a hell of a lot cheaper.

Think Jack Walkers actions had alot to do with Kenny Dalglish resigning, 'if aint broke dont fix it' was the scary quote,just after he resigned as manager Kenny had signed a inferior player like Jeff Kenna on deadline day when he wanted a couple of higher profile players. Then thers the signing of Matty Holmes close season under Ray Harford two below standard players bought on the cheap- Jack didnt get everything right.

Nothing wrong with Kenna and was a good pro.

Nothing wrong with Kenna and was a good pro.

I thought Jeff Kenna was a good signing . He was a decent all round fullback who could play on either flank.At his best he'd get into our current side at left back I think. He seemed to lose his way after being out injured for about 2 months,I can't remember what it was but he lost a yard of pace and became a bit less reliable.

• 2 months later...

Dalglish wanted out

In the LT, Kenny has a new book out and states in it that he wanted out before 94/95 and pined for LFC throughout.

I will love what that man did for all my days, but is there any need to cosy up even further to the glory hunting 'Scousers' with such claims? They will buy the book regardless.

The book is serialised in the Mirror - amazed nobody picked this up on Thursday when it first came out.

Very honest, but slightly uncomfortable read.

The book is serialised in the Mirror - amazed nobody picked this up on Thursday when it first came out.

Very honest, but slightly uncomfortable read.

I saw the mirrors bit on it y'day. You couldn't sum it up better! Very surprised that he has come out with it, that liverpool didn't want him back and that it hasn't come out before!

Didnt Oliver Bierhoff turn us down.And didnt we try to sign Gabriel Batistuta but he turned us down saying he'd recieved death threats if he left fiorentina?

There's always stories like this. I mean I swear Souness had a go at signing Robinho and his mate (forgotten his name) from Santos around 2003/2004. There were some rumours out there - admittedly pretty tenuous. I have searcehd on the internet and found nothing so I might have completely invented it in my head.....! Memory is a strange and pliable thing.

There's always stories like this. I mean I swear Souness had a go at signing Robinho and his mate (forgotten his name) from Santos around 2003/2004. There were some rumours out there - admittedly pretty tenuous. I have searcehd on the internet and found nothing so I might have completely invented it in my head.....! Memory is a strange and pliable thing.

do you remember the cheeky bid for Cantona?

Made my month that did.

The Bierhoff one was a very strong link though, in fact I'm sure we were very close to doing the deal. It was definitely more than a rumour.

My favorites in the genre: Baggio, Aimar and Pirlo.

I have always wanted to know exactly what went on at Ewood during the close season after the Championship win. The question is second only to "Why are we here" - so many different rumours over the years but will we ever know the truth? Thinking of that who would be the best person to know? Did Harford write his memoirs?

I have always wanted to know exactly what went on at Ewood during the close season after the Championship win. The question is second only to "Why are we here" - so many different rumours over the years but will we ever know the truth? Thinking of that who would be the best person to know? Did Harford write his memoirs?

What Kenny put in his book about the start of the 94-95 season makes you think that the parting at the end of the season was no major surprise.

It has also put a different slant on subsequent theories...but only Kenny, Ray Harford and the chairman at the time know more details of what went on.

What Kenny put in his book about the start of the 94-95 season makes you think that the parting at the end of the season was no major surprise.

It has also put a different slant on subsequent theories...but only Kenny, Ray Harford and the chairman at the time know more details of what went on.

Didn't Dalglish previously say he was given or took "golf leave" and was disappointed that nobody from the club approached him for advice during this period? I seem to recall a couple of pages on the subject at the back of one of his earlier books but don't remember the detail.

Some players refer to the tremendous team spirit in the Championship season. I have also heard rumours that Shearer controlled the (every) dressing room and that caused friction. It was such a major part in the history of the club and it's sad that we will never know.

I dont see the relevance in knowing what happened at that time, it only serves to take the sheen off a glorious period in our history that stands on its own as a remarkable acheivement.

94-95 will allways read Blackburn Rovers Premier League Champions.

Good enough for me. :rover:

Didn't Dalglish previously say he was given or took "golf leave" and was disappointed that nobody from the club approached him for advice during this period? I seem to recall a couple of pages on the subject at the back of one of his earlier books but don't remember the detail.

Some players refer to the tremendous team spirit in the Championship season. I have also heard rumours that Shearer controlled the (every) dressing room and that caused friction. It was such a major part in the history of the club and it's sad that we will never know.

The most believable version of events was the one where Kenny - on hearing Ray fancied being manager and was talking too loudly about that idea in some quarters - said 'go on, then' and he was due to go and take an upstairs role.

I think he did have a say in signings for the first team for a while afterwards, but slowly drifted off and eventually left. His advice to Shearer about leaving became public which was a low, but he did help set up a scouting network that delivered many top players for years to come. Damien Duff's arrival was definitely traced back to that time.

The book just confirms what anyone who ever dealt with Dalglish felt...the guy is an enigma.

Archived