BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Second Round (Last 16) Discussion

Guest Kamy100

Guest Kamy100

All second round discussion in here.

The round of the last 16 (second round) gets underway on Saturday, I will keep this post updated as the ties are confirmed:

Saturday 26th June 2010 (All Kick Off Times are UK):

Match One: Uruguay v South Korea - 3.00pm

Match Two: USA v Ghana - 7.30pm

Sunday 27th June 2010:

Match Three: England v Germany - 3.00pm

Match Four: Argentina v Mexico - 7.30pm

Monday 28th June 2010

Match Five: Holland v Slovakia - 3.00pm

Match Six: Brazil v Chile - 7.30pm

Tuesday 29th June 2010

Match Seven: Paraguay v Japan - 3.00pm

Match Eight: Portugal v Spain - 7.30pm

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think many teams would fancy playing England either despite our poor start. We're still a team who won all but 1 game in qualifying and will be going into the second round full of confidence. The team can leave the group performances behind now and can focus on the knock out tournament.

Obviously we're going to be playing tougher teams but maybe that will bring the best out of the England team. I think there will be less pressure facing a top side too and the teams who have been on form in the group stages will be under more pressure to beat England.

In all honesty, I'm just pleased we're not out. Anything can happen now.

England's run could well now look like this. Second Round: Germany. Quarter-final: Argentina. Semi-final: Spain. Final: Brazil.

Hmm. England's run could well look like - second round - Germany...

Guest Kamy100

Tonight's results mean that one of South Korea, United States, Uruguay and Ghana are guaranteed a semi-final spot.

Guest Kamy100

Germany are a good side, but not one that England should fear. It seems that Ozil is their main creative/attacking force, he will need to be watched. I thought that defensively the German's looked suspect tonight, Ghana created numerous chances. I hope that Fabio sticks with Defoe, his pace and movement will cause them problems.

England's run could well now look like this. Second Round: Germany. Quarter-final: Argentina. Semi-final: Spain. Final: Brazil.

If we managed to score 1 more goal today then it could have been:

Second Round: Ghana. Quarter Final: Uruguay/South Korea.

That would have been a very easy route into the Semi-Final in my opinion, and a massive opportunity missed by England!

That would have been a very easy route into the Semi-Final in my opinion, and a massive opportunity missed by England!

Oh well. I guess some other country's national side will have to go down that road instead. :D

Guest Kamy100

Agree that this would have been a much easier route, although people should not underestimate Uruguay, they are a very good side.

Also think that Mexico will give Argentina a really hard game, their pace and movement will cause the Argentinian defence a lot of problems, of course the problem for Mexico is how to stop the likes of Messi, Tevez and Higuian.

Obviously an harder route because we finished 2nd in the group but if you want to win the World Cup you've got to beat some of the best sides at some point.

Both of Sunday's matches look very tasty indeed.

Germany have Schweini doubtful for the game with a hamstring injury. Also Mesut Ozil had a limp late on. Former s rated doubtful, latter is likely to recover.

My money is on Uruguay to shock a few people and make it to the semi-finals. I see a Uruguay - US quarter final personally.

If England go through those teams to win the WC, then they'd deserved it! :)

Cant wait for the other side of the draw to take shape.

My money is on Uruguay to shock a few people and make it to the semi-finals. I see a Uruguay - US quarter final personally.

I don't think it would shock anyone if Uruguay make it to the Semi's now after storming their group. They should beat South Korea fairly comfortably and would then be favourites against the USA or Ghana.

Still, as others have said it's a big opportunity missed by England. For Sunday's game I'd be instructing Barry to stick to Ozil like a bad aftershave.

I don't think it would shock anyone if Uruguay make it to the Semi's now after storming their group. They should beat South Korea fairly comfortably and would then be favourites against the USA or Ghana.

Still, as others have said it's a big opportunity missed by England. For Sunday's game I'd be instructing Barry to stick to Ozil like a bad aftershave.

Uruguay were one of the teams that I thought could be a real dark horse at the World Cup. They have a great chance to get to a semi final. England look like they could really suffer from finishing second in the group. I don't think they are good enough to win it and think that a potential route of Germany-Argentina-Spain-Brazil is too much. If they did pull it off however, by Jesus they would have earned it!

Archived