BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Second Round (Last 16) Discussion

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've posted before that eddies knowledge of football matters and football players could easily be written on the back of a postage stamp. His recent ramblings about Lampard being world class just prove me right.

:(

Surely its more to do with disillusionment than anything else? Everytime a major comp or England game comes along you read, its our year, remember 1966, the golden generation and other such foundation-less propoganda. Its no wonder people have fallen out of love with the national team anything less than wining the whole competition is failure. You beat slovenia, just and yet all I then heard was we can go on and win this competition?? Baffled does not describe my reaction especially after watching the USA game and the algeria one. The national team gets built up so much in the press and media, myths constantly coming out and the such its mental.

Are we Burnley in disguise, agree with the general tone of the post Maj and the portrayal in the press and media.

Its just the bit about the people falling out of love with the national team, around here in Blackburn and Darwen, dont think I ever known such collective support for the national team what with St.Georges flags hanging for houses, cars and people wearing some sort of England shirt.

The English were right behind the national team though the hype was wholly unrealistic as the past 40 years shows just how good we are on the International stage of football - mediocre at best.

You can't just judge how good a side or a country are based on their performances in the World Cups (and if anything, the performance of the England team over the last 20 years has been fairly good).

As for the Lampard debate, I actually thought he played well yesterday. We were quite possibly an incorrect decision away from seeing him be in line for the MOTM. He's one of the few that I actually feel a bit sorry for.

Are we Burnley in disguise, agree with the general tone of the post Maj and the portrayal in the press and media.

Its just the bit about the people falling out of love with the national team, around here in Blackburn and Darwen, dont think I ever known such collective support for the national team what with St.Georges flags hanging for houses, cars and people wearing some sort of England shirt.

The English were right behind the national team though the hype was wholly unrealistic as the past 40 years shows just how good we are on the International stage of football - mediocre at best.

Has there been a direct correlation between the increase in public support and the increase in hype?

Has there been a direct correlation between the increase in public support and the increase in hype?

Good question.

Dont know if i'm right or wrong here, but personally I'd stick my neck on the line and say that the increase in support followed the hype, rather than the other way round.

But it was closely linked with a failing economy which somehow the FA, media and the establishment of this country, quite clevely knew that a portion of the struggling public out there needed some hope, something to cling to, like the national team at a recognised world event.

The scapegoat now being used by the above mentioned seems to be the England manager.

The England team is always "hyped" going into major tournaments.

Are you suggesting with that post that it is somehow a matter of opinion that a disproportionate level of hysteria accompanies England's tournament participation?

They probably will do.

Of course, it'll help that all three will go back to playing in their proper positions.

and at least have players that cover their deficiencies

And

They probably will do.

Of course, it'll help that all three will go back to playing in their proper positions.

And

They probably will do.

And

Are you suggesting with that post that it is somehow a matter of opinion that a disproportionate level of hysteria accompanies England's tournament participation?

I think it depends on the particular tournament. I don't feel that we were over-hyped coming into this one, we had a chance to win it. Most of the major nations are over-hyped in their own countries coming into a tournament, either that or they receive a huge amount of criticism (France this year being an example). It's part of the process of getting excited about the tournament and the chances of your country winning it. A good dozen may really believe...only one will be right.

Many countries have that kind of hype from their press.

That said, not that many consistently fail so spectacularly to live up to it...

You can't just judge how good a side or a country are based on their performances in the World Cups (and if anything, the performance of the England team over the last 20 years has been fairly good).

As for the Lampard debate, I actually thought he played well yesterday. We were quite possibly an incorrect decision away from seeing him be in line for the MOTM. He's one of the few that I actually feel a bit sorry for.

So what you are saying is that the SGE era suddenly is looking to be âge d'or of modern English football?

I have to say that one of the issues I see with the England squad is lack of experience outside of England. You see all these teams like Brazil, Argentina and the Netherlands progressing well in the World Cup, but all their players play in a lot of different leagues. The England squad is entirely based in England and that can't be good, especially when they are competing against each other year in, year out.

I actually can't think of any other team in the World Cup who don't have at least one player playing in a league outside the country they represent...

I actually can't think of any other team in the World Cup who don't have at least one player playing in a league outside the country they represent...

Germany don't have any in their squad, IIRC, unless you include Boateng who has signed for Man City but never played for them...

It doesn't help, though, that hardly any of our players have had to adapt to a different style than the Prem.

Germany don't have any in their squad, IIRC, unless you include Boateng who has signed for Man City but never played for them...

It doesn't help, though, that hardly any of our players have had to adapt to a different style than the Prem.

Italy and Spain only have three with only one of them actually getting a game.

I think english players would definately improve moving to somewhere like France or Germany early on then deciding to hone their ability in England, Spain or Italy.

Think that both Italy and Spain have players who have played abroad before going back.

Despite that, Italy went out before England and Spain lost their first game.

The insular nature of English football does not help but there are many other reasons as well for being so poor.

Ultimately though, for a rich, football-mad, Western European nation of 50 million we don't half have a shocking record.

Think that both Italy and Spain have players who have played abroad before going back.

Despite that, Italy went out before England and Spain lost their first game.

The insular nature of English football does not help but there are many other reasons as well for being so poor.

Ultimately though, for a rich, football-mad, Western European nation of 50 million we don't half have a shocking record.

Agreed, however the majority of players play regulary in European competition at club level and play international competition in major tournaments every two years. So they still get exposure so there really is no excuse.

It seems rather obvious to me that in sharp bursts for qualifying games, the players responded to Capello but in the intensity of the World Cup lock-up, they couldn't hack it together.

Would Terry have done that press conference if he didn't think at least some of the players were behind him? The camp obviously ended up totally riven and split.

Whether they were playing for England or not pales into insignificance compared with the obvious observation that in the four games, they sure as hell were not playing for each other.

It seems rather obvious to me that in sharp bursts for qualifying games, the players responded to Capello but in the intensity of the World Cup lock-up, they couldn't hack it together.

Would Terry have done that press conference if he didn't think at least some of the players were behind him? The camp obviously ended up totally riven and split.

Whether they were playing for England or not pales into insignificance compared with the obvious observation that in the four games, they sure as hell were not playing for each other.

Maybe next time the FA should rent a complex out were the players can live seperately with their families on site rather than in a hotel suite away from their families and just come together for training, games, briefings, and any other things, in order to try and keep things fresh, avoiding or reducing any build up of tensions within the camp.

Archived