BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ipad

Guest Kamy100

The Ipad is a wonderful device but as Flopsy says it is a giant Iphone.

It is not a substitute for a laptop and if you want it to be really useful then you will need to get the 3G version and that means also paying a monthly subscription of £10-£15 for a data plan. Also the price of the Ipad at £500 plus is way to high.

First Apple product that I am not interested in buying.

I've had a go on a friends iPad and it is a very smart piece of kit - quick, easy to use and very portable. I really like it, especially the on-screen keyboard which is very good.

Would I buy one?

No

Why not?

Because I have a laptop and an iPhone and am not sure what the iPad does for me that is not done better by one of the other two devices and cannot see where the bringing together that the iPad represents would actually serve me better

I'm sure others will find it ideal but my lifestyle simply doesn't require what the device offers - my friend on the other hand is becoming physically attached to it!

I only use this laptop for casual internet browsing in the living room, I think the iPad will be perfect for what I use it for.

Stay away from flash based websites then.

Out of interest, why isn't a netbook suitable for those purposes?

I find the iPhone interface more intuitive. I have spent my whole life with the monitor, keyboard and mouse/trackpad combination and it now feels tired IMO.

I do not want to have to spend time performing virus scans, defragmenting my volume etc etc.

It should just be fun. I think there will be a lot of people surprised at how well the iPad does. A laptop was never designed as casual gaming / browsing device, is has just filled that gap because it was the only thing capable.

Apple will always have it's detractors, but that's life.

Simplicity is the key. My girlfriends grandma wanted to use the Internet and enrolled on a course. She gave up in the end, finding it too technical and confusing. I would hazard a guess that she would be able to use an iPad very quickly indeed.

Geeks struggle to understand this (not referring to anybody in particular, I'm an analyst ffs), why people might not want to be able overclock their processor. People just want things to work.

I find the iPhone interface more intuitive. I have spent my whole life with the monitor, keyboard and mouse/trackpad combination and it now feels tired IMO.

I do not want to have to spend time performing virus scans, defragmenting my volume etc etc.

It should just be fun. I think there will be a lot of people surprised at how well the iPad does. A laptop was never designed as casual gaming / browsing device, is has just filled that gap because it was the only thing capable.

Simplicity is the key. My girlfriends grandma wanted to use the Internet and enrolled on a course. She gave up in the end, finding it too technical and confusing. I would hazard a guess that she would be able to use an iPad very quickly indeed.

Geeks struggle to understand this (not referring to anybody in particular, I'm an analyst ffs), why people might not want to be able overclock their processor. People just want things to work.

Apple marketing strikes again...

That's the best you can do?

One unconfirmed report?

Each to their own. I will be waiting until the second generation. But why does it need am USB on it? My PC already has USB ports, why do I need it on my iPad, how will it benefit me. It doesn't really fit in with my simplicity vibe.

I get all that, what I really should have mentioned is the price.

Something that is 'fun' and therefore limited should have a price that reflects it.

I don't see how they're worth 4/5 times more than netbooks, which are more powerful.

Like AS points out above, aren't they just an oversized iPhone? I don't get where you'd ever need an iPad where an iPhone wouldn't suffice. I saw a man using an iPad on the bus the other day and he looked ridiculous.

I don't get where you'd ever need an iPad where an iPhone wouldn't suffice.

I tend to agree with those who can't see the point of the iPad but I think one area is browsing. One aspect of my iPhone I really enjoy is being able to access e-mail and browse without having to fire up the laptop. Obviously it's great on the move but I also find it excellent for browsing at home. I find sites like this which use TapaTalk very easy to browse on the iPhone but find many others more difficult to read and do get fed up with resizing to get a decent readable screen. I don't see this as a problem when I'm on the move but can sympathise if at home.

I've never seen an iPad but if browsing / e-mail is the same as the iPhone I definetely get the idea of that feature. It's very expensive though for a bit of browsing. I have an Assus Eee and wouldn't swap it for the iPad.

My girlfriends grandma wanted to use the Internet and enrolled on a course. She gave up in the end, finding it too technical and confusing. I would hazard a guess that she would be able to use an iPad very quickly indeed.

She'll have to learn to use that antiquated laptop if she want to view a flash based website, or upload her holiday pictures, or do more than one thing at once, or sync her iPad.

She'll have to learn to use that antiquated laptop if she want to view a flash based website, or upload her holiday pictures, or do more than one thing at once, or sync her iPad.

Are you talking about the antiquated, proprietary flash that will probably be replaced by the much more efficient HTML5?

The reason they have included flash is because it is terrible inefficient and would rape the battery. I can cope without flash to be honest.

They are expensive at the moment, but the price will come down (obviously).

I don't expect an overnight transition, but I expect in the medium term that a very high percentage of middle income homes, will have a touchscreen device centred mainly around the living room.

We will see.

Also, you can't use the terrible boring multitasking argument anymore. They only people that complain about the lack of multitasking, are those who have NEVER used an iPad/iPhone, because if they had they would understand it's a terrible argument.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. I'm not bothered enough to continue the argument. I held off buying an iPhone for so long due to listening to anti Apple sentiment.

LMFAO - You really have bought into Steve Jobs' wibbly wobbly world.

Indeed.

I expect in the medium term that a very high percentage of middle income homes, will have a touchscreen device centred mainly around the living room.

Well at least we've got to the bottom of why you want one. Keeping up with the Joneses eh? ;)

No anti-Apple sentiment here, I just don't like the iPad's limitations. iPad v4.0 will probably be awesome.

Bryan, I'm fine with touchscreen computers but I dislike touchscreen phones as I'm used to dialing and texting without looking, which I find incredibly difficult without buttons.

Indeed.

Well at least we've got to the bottom of why you want one. Keeping up with the Joneses eh? ;)

I believe that they will replace the home laptop.

That is all. They are more intuitive and easy to use, and if it does happen, people can make sure they are ready with their "fanboy" and "marketing machine" comments etc etc.

With Apple's touchscreen devices (a few others have already followed suit; Dell for example) Microsoft's facial recognition camera, and the emergence of 3D displays, I think we will be making a fairly big technology jump in the next few years.

Archived