BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Technology

67splitscreen

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't understand why you can't have a video referral system for the captain, they worry about stoppages but with every dive, feigned injury, ball thrown to 40 different sets of hands for a throw in, keepers time wasting, players walking slowly from the field when replaced, I have seen them check an offside within 3 seconds on the tele

They dont even need technology. The 4th official has a tv set in front of him. By the time an action happens he sees a replay and speaks through the refs earphone. What's there to debate?

FIFA make it sound like robots will take over the game or something. What's the "technology" in it, really?

They dont even need technology. The 4th official has a tv set in front of him. By the time an action happens he sees a replay and speaks through the refs earphone. What's there to debate?

FIFA make it sound like robots will take over the game or something. What's the "technology" in it, really?

And that's the $64,000 dollar question. It can already be done with no changes, so why are they so adverse to it all?

Sam has a screen at Ewood with about a 3-4 second delay, it takes longer than that for the keeper to fish the ball out of the net, wave his arms around saying it never went in. It just makes no sense.

The premier league should stick two fingers up to FIFA and do it themselves, more countries will follow and then FIFA will be forced to concede.

And that's the $64,000 dollar question. It can already be done with no changes, so why are they so adverse to it all?

Sam has a screen at Ewood with about a 3-4 second delay, it takes longer than that for the keeper to fish the ball out of the net, wave his arms around saying it never went in. It just makes no sense.

The premier league should stick two fingers up to FIFA and do it themselves, more countries will follow and then FIFA will be forced to concede.

It was so close to happening yesterday too, with all the Mexicans and Argies going hell for leather at the ref and lino after seeing the replay I really thought he was going to disallow the goal, shame he didnt.

It was so close to happening yesterday too, with all the Mexicans and Argies going hell for leather at the ref and lino after seeing the replay I really thought he was going to disallow the goal, shame he didnt.

It happened 4 years ago in the final with Zidane. I don't see the issue with it to be honest, people and FIFA go on about fair play and yet will not use a simple replay system to ensure cheating is stamped out.

Why is the question I always ask and I don't have an answer.

The goal would have stood if they used the 2 extra officials, stood behind the goals like the Europa league have been doing!!

Get it implemented in all games asap if you dont want to use technology!

Also whilst they are at rule changes - add in the possibility to appeal yellows as some players have been wrongly booked by mistaken identity etc, yet nothing is done about it!

The goal would have stood if they used the 2 extra officials, stood behind the goals like the Europa league have been doing!!

Get it implemented in all games asap if you dont want to use technology!

Also whilst they are at rule changes - add in the possibility to appeal yellows as some players have been wrongly booked by mistaken identity etc, yet nothing is done about it!

I don't know how may of the Europa games you watched last season, but a lot of the decisions made by the 5/6th official were pants - I can think of a couple of penalties that they gave which really weren't, and also one of them got the wrong Fulham player sent off initially. Having two more, even less qualified officials standing on the edge of the pitch didn't really help.

It's simple; you need a fourth official watching the TV that the ref can appeal to for help at his discretion. As noted above, that's how Zidane got sent off last time. No need for all this "hawkeye" stuff or chips.

As for the reasons: well, it's nice to believe that Blatter really just wants to retain the sense of light hearted fun, but it's hard to ignore the fact that the current system makes corruption much easier.

Getting worse- the big screen showed the Tevez goal was offside and everyone includng the officials could see they had made a humdinger of a mistake. But they are not allowed to change it.

Well done Septic Blast.

The referee CAN change his decision philipl, up until the point that play is restarted again. Once play has restarted theres no going back.

Not quite sure where to post this, but ESPNs bottom line just reported that FIFA won't be showing replays of close (read: wrong) calls on stadium screens anymore. Report cites the incident with Mexico surrounding the linesman, but if you're a fan behind the goal at the other end of play, wouldn't you want to see some things you might miss from certain angles?

Fifa also looking really shady here in the last two days saying they won't even revisit the idea of tech in the game and now becoming less transparent.

Tony Cascarino made a good point last night about technology. He said that the likely hood of us having video replays in 20-30 years time is very high so why wait now?

Another guy responded with "it's highly likely because Blatter won't be there".

Which is probably true.

Hopefully the media won't drop this, especially if another incident happens again. Sadly I can only see it changing if it affects the outcome of the World Cup Final.

I'm not so sure on video replays - anything that requires someone in a box to review something would disrupt the flow of the game and controversial decisions on penalties etc are part of the game and the art of refereeing is also an important one within the sport.

However for goal line technology, where the decision can be communicated to the referees earpiece within a second via Hawk Eye technology - there really is absolutely no excuse. Offsides are a bit of a grey area - they would come in at a natural break where either a goal would be given or a free kick but I'm not massively bothered about technology being brought in for that.

It's simple; you need a fourth official watching the TV that the ref can appeal to for help at his discretion. As noted above, that's how Zidane got sent off last time. No need for all this "hawkeye" stuff or chips.

You'd need to stop the play in that scenario though while the referee appealed and the 4th official watched the replays, which in tight calls could take 30 seconds or so - doesn't sound like much but you'd need to stop open play.

An automated system like Hawk Eye has already been tested to be pretty much 100% accurate and would give an automated reply in the ref's earpiece within a second so he could almost instantly call it.

I'm not the assistant referee :blink:

I'd have given the goal if I was! :lol:

You wouldnt if you'd have been in line with the last outfield defender, which at the time was around the eighteen yard line which was the correct position for the assistant referee to be in.

Your right about having an extra officials behind the goal line, though amendments would have to be made around Law 6, regarding asssistant referees.

Archived