BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Capello'S Future

tcj_jones

Why does the FA give new managers such long deals? Surely it's common sense that they should only be offered 2 year contracts (qualifying + tournament) and if they hit their targets at the tournament then they should have a clause in their contract which gives them an extended deal.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Has he answered questions about his weird tactical decisions? I bet we don't see a team in the last eight that play 4-4-2 - even more criminal when our best players are suited to and used to playing differently.

Not to mention bringing on Heskey when we need a goal...

Every time he's asked about tactics he points to the qualifying campaign and says he hasn't changed anything, then blames the players for underperforming.

However, as I said, using the qualification campaign as a point of comparison is weak at best.

He must have brought Heskey on for a bit of humour, 'cos by that point everyone really needed a laugh.

Has he used the disallowed goal, deflating the players yet?

Used that excuse straight away in the post-match interview, after saying we "played well" and seemed to genuinely believe if it had gone to 2-2 we would have gone on to win the game.

Used that excuse straight away in the post-match interview, after saying we "played well" and seemed to genuinely believe if it had gone to 2-2 we would have gone on to win the game.

Steven Gerrard also said as much. England had the momentum at 2-1 down, but got caught with their pants down on the break, thanks to suicidal defending. It wouldn't have changed the game whilst they continued to defend like that.

In my view, the ideal candidate should have these qualities:

1. No fear in dropping the big stars

2. No fear in picking leftfield choices for a squad

3. Clear tactical nous, and the ability to change the team according to the situation.

4. A coaching method that improves skills, and/or backroom staff who also have excellent credentials in coaching tactics and technique.

5. The ability to motivate fragile egos and to engage players.

No idea of who could fit that role, and is available. And Capello is odds on to stay.

The players obviously don't like Capello, so you either dump all the players who don't like him or get in a new man.

Personnaly I hated having Vogts in charge of Scotland he my have been a good manager (at some stage) but he wasn't scottish and lacked the passion and drive that comes with it. Personnaly Harry would be a good choice and he as good as said he'd take it if offered on Talkdrivel this morning.

How does 'both' sound? :glare:

The players obviously don't like Capello, so you either dump all the players who don't like him or get in a new man.

Personnaly I hated having Vogts in charge of Scotland he my have been a good manager (at some stage) but he wasn't scottish and lacked the passion and drive that comes with it. Personnaly Harry would be a good choice and he as good as said he'd take it if offered on Talkdrivel this morning.

I disagree about a foreign manager not having the passion to win it - everyone wants to win the World Cup. The only down side is that he can't conduct a 'national pride' teamtalk with any conviction, but that's why people like Pearce are there.

That said, Capello got the whole thing wrong and should be sacked as a result.

I disagree about a foreign manager not having the passion to win it - everyone wants to win the World Cup. The only down side is that he can't conduct a 'national pride' teamtalk with any conviction, but that's why people like Pearce are there.

That said, Capello got the whole thing wrong and should be sacked as a result.

Pierce looked like a naughty little boy sat next to Capello, I bet he didnt dare chirp up once, just the same thing as when John Terry spoke out and no other players backed him up.

I dont think Capello is an approachable manager and one day in some down on his luck ex england pro will write a book and we will read about the problems within the camp.

Could Alan Shearer do for England what Maradona has done for Argentina? Hard to say, but it sure can't get any worse.

Hmm. This is the problem in my opinion. It could be a lot worse. We could not qualify which has happend regularly in the past. Or not get out of the group stages like Italy or France. On paper we went out of the tournament at about the appropriate level for the quality of players we have.

We do not have a right to get to the quarters, we have a pretty good team but one that is eclipsed by others including Germany. Going out is not a disaster, just we need to go back to the drawing board and change things up and develop the side. The English public throwing their toys out every time we lose has never helped, and largely makes us look like a nation of irrational prima donners who lack much grounding in reality.

There is an argument to change Capello but only if we get someone better for England. Who is that? How is it going to be different than the Sven to McClaren situation?

Getting rid of him for the sake of it is ridiculous. Lets have a bit of an idea about what we are doing.

Could Alan Shearer do for England what Maradona has done for Argentina? Hard to say, but it sure can't get any worse.

I think every single one of your posts about football on this board have been complete and utter nonsense and this is yet another example.

It's not hard to say. The answer is he would be awful - and Argentina struggled to qualify for the World Cup under Maradona anyway.

I'm up for giving him another chance. He has already indicated he will look to change the formation. When he took over, player morale was at all time low. We qualified with ease playing 4-4-2 so I can understand his reluctance to change. If we get good performances in the first two qualifiers then stick with him. No need for a knee jerk reaction, he is a quality manager and will have learnt a lot from his first international tournament.

I'd love Shearer to be put in charge of England. I don't think he'd do a good job, but it'd be an interesting spectacle. I wonder how many feathers he would ruffle in the England camp.

• Backroom

I'm up for giving him another chance. He has already indicated he will look to change the formation. When he took over, player morale was at all time low. We qualified with ease playing 4-4-2 so I can understand his reluctance to change. If we get good performances in the first two qualifiers then stick with him. No need for a knee jerk reaction, he is a quality manager and will have learnt a lot from his first international tournament.

He's a good club manager, Bucky. There's no evidence that he's a good international manager - they're two very different positions. I do think Capello is an intelligent man and I think he'll learn a lot from this tournament, but he's made a lot of mistakes and he needs to apply what he's learnt for the next tournament. He can't be stubborn and continue to believe the 4-4-2 will yield success. The most concerning thing for me, in this tournament, is Capello's seeming lack of tactical nous. He started off with formations that didn't work and seemed unable or unwilling to change formation when we needed to against Algeria and Germany specifically. As a top manager I cannot believe he can't produce a plan B, but why is he so reluctant to be flexible when it's so obvious what he's doing isn't working?

You are quite keen to throw £12m down the drain. I would be telling him to sort it out rather than give him a big payoff.

It wasn't quite an aberration. We scored two goals in 54 seconds after playing pretty poorly, and we exited only one round earlier than usual. He will now know who he can rely on. I wouldn't be surprised if he made quite a few changes. He will be working to restore his reputation, it's been quite a while since he has "failed".

We do not have a right to get to the quarters, we have a pretty good team but one that is eclipsed by others including Germany. Going out is not a disaster, just we need to go back to the drawing board and change things up and develop the side. The English public throwing their toys out every time we lose has never helped, and largely makes us look like a nation of irrational prima donners who lack much grounding in reality.

It's not the going out that is the disaster - it's the manner of our doing it. The fact that the players underperformed almost without exception. The fact that a guy paid 6 million pounds a year couldn't get basic tactics any better than they were. The fact that none of the players really looked like they knew what they were doing on a football pitch let alone how to pass the ball to a teammate. No we do not have the right to get to the quarters. we don't even have a right to qualify (although that should be a reasonable expectation) but what we, the public, do have a right to expect is that somewhere along the line someone actually stops making excuses and starts trying to put right at least some of the things that are currently wrong and that someone is held to account for the shambles that has been our football team for some time now. When was the last time you consistently enjoyed watching England play? For me I think it was about 30-40 years ago.

By rights, Capello shouldn't have a future.

I was just trying to think what he actually got right this World Cup...

and I was a big fan.

Why? I wasn't.

I do like the suggested christmas tree idea with Rooney as the fairy on top and then Gerrard and Lampard baubling behind him.

Who's for Harry Redknapp, next??

Parkhurst? Scrubbs?. I think HMR&C might yet have a say in the matter. :rolleyes:

too late for Capello and his "changes". He was paid an astronomical amount of money to get it right for the World Cup, and what did he do? Play the wrong goalkeepers, play Gerrard on the left, play Emile Heskey of all people...I mean it's absurd. No way in a million years should he keep his job after such a failure.

Probably your best ever post Mr E. Don't look at the bench and Capello is indistinguishable from the last two goons.

Closely followed by your most stupid post ever! :rolleyes:

God knows it will be some silly amount, well done that man at the FA.

But if he has lost the players, what choice do you have?

Redundency and only have a coach (wonder if you could get away with that) or strike a deal with him, since he flopped like a kipper. You have to hope the FA chairman says he has lost faith in Capello, especially if the players have as well.

The stupidity of the FA is highlighted by the timing of and the terms of the contracts given to average managers. If I were in a position to be paid off so handsomely for nothing I'd bloody well pick Heskey, Green, Lamps and Gerrard too in order to be on the plane home asap!

The rewards are highest for failure so why aren't contracts performance related for goodness sake?

Anyone other than Capello would pick Robinson so on that basis it would be a good thing if he moves on.

Why? Do you want Robinson to leave? I'm not over fussed but thats what will happen if he plays regulary for England.

Get Gazza back involved with the England squad as a coach of some capacity. Never a dull moment when he's about. It might actually help save his life from ending too soon.

Lets not.

If Capello was right and that the England squad were too tired, how come we played well against slovenia, a third game in little more than a week?

1. We didn't really did we?

2. Tiredness is bullsh1t. Look at the other Prem stars who are excelling. Tevez for example didn't look tired did he?

If tiredness is to be used as an excuse then it can only be down to extra games played in the champions league..... A point I've already touched upon. If that is the case then stuff the filthy lucre lets cancel our countries qualifying clubs entry into the Champions league every time it is a World or European year. Anybody agree?

The main problems with this squad have not been addressed, firstly we are told, people who are in form should go, so why Heskey, Wright Phillips etc.

They should be first choice at their clubs, so why Joe Cole, Carrick and Wright Phillips again?

Capello said no injured players will go, so why King, Barry, Rooney? Even Fedinand wasnt properly fit.

The major problem for me is balance, we had no left sided midfielder in the squad, Downing would have gone for me as would Adam Johnson, the form player at the back end of the season.

And most importantly, why did our most prolific international goalscorer only get 6 minutes playing time over the whole tournament?

Those are the questions which need to be asked!!

Just a point on tiredness here, in a tournament loike the world cup and matches come around quickly, between games it should be tactical training and ball work, each time we saw the squad, they were running!! I do hope they were just warming up!!!

The main problems with this squad have not been addressed, firstly we are told, people who are in form should go, so why Heskey, Wright Phillips etc.

They should be first choice at their clubs, so why Joe Cole, Carrick and Wright Phillips again?

Capello said no injured players will go, so why King, Barry, Rooney? Even Fedinand wasnt properly fit.

The major problem for me is balance, we had no left sided midfielder in the squad, Downing would have gone for me as would Adam Johnson, the form player at the back end of the season.

And most importantly, why did our most prolific international goalscorer only get 6 minutes playing time over the whole tournament?

Those are the questions which need to be asked!!

Just a point on tiredness here, in a tournament loike the world cup and matches come around quickly, between games it should be tactical training and ball work, each time we saw the squad, they were running!! I do hope they were just warming up!!!

You've got to question, do the FA have an influence on selction policy, they, the FA, seem to be controlling things so does Capello really have a free hand ? easy to dismiss, but why as you say Kelbo, does an experienced man like Fabio Capello deviate from his original intentions on selection policy.

He did say one thing.... then went and did another.. this we cant deny but as you say, why.

Plus, nobody has mentioned on here about the players not getting on with one another yet another big question.

Archived