BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Semi Finals Discussion

Guest Kamy100

Germany v Spain line-ups:

Germany: 1-Manuel Neuer; 16-Philipp Lahm, 3-Arne Friedrich, 17-Per Mertesacker, 20-Jerome Boateng, 15-Piotr Trochowski, 6-Sami Khedira, 7-Bastian Schweinsteiger, 10-Lukas Podolski, 8-Mesut Ozil, 11-Miroslav Klose.

Spain: 1-Iker Casillas; 15-Sergio Ramos, 3-Gerard Pique, 5-Carles Puyol, 11-Joan Capdevila; 14-Xabi Alonso, 8-Xavi, 6-Andres Iniesta, 16-Sergio Busquets; 18-Pedro, 7-David Villa.

Referee: Viktor Kassai (Hungary).

Cannot believe Fabregas is not starting.

Germany 3 - 1 Spain.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping for a German win too.

The Spanish have been a massive disappoint, it's not enjoyable watching three defensive midfielders try to squeeze into the same team. Busquets or Alonso should be sacrificed for an attacking player, with Xavi moving backward.

Germany are the better team up to now but how many times have we...

1. seen teams peak early in the World Cup only to fade in the latter stages. Holland make a habit of it.

2. scrat through the early rounds playing like strangers only to come alive in the group stages? Italy make a habit of that.

I'd likke the Germans to win because of their youth and attitude but it's anybody's game isn't it?

Glad to see Piotr Trochowski in for Thomas Muller. Muller will be a loss, but I fancy he'll be the best possible replacement. Looked very good cutting in from the right side on his left foot. Torres finally dropped too, which should help, but Pedro in? Not so sure there myself.

Hoping for a cracker, and hoping for another 4 goal repeat German performance!

EDIT - I'd love a pound for every time Germany are referred to as efficient, or a machine, or both. Come on 'experts' - think of something new to say guys. It's getting boring.

:rover: somebody wants to tell the spanish/krauts that there is a semi in durban today,because there is none about :brfcsmilie::rolleyes:

Just been watching on SSN that loads of flights into Durban were delayed due to the airport being full of private planes. At least the corporate people could get there eh :glare:

Should be a good game, I hope Germany win.

• Backroom

This game could be great Spain like to attack and Germany are awe inspiring on he counter

I think the Germans may do it

They pass it nicely, but once they get stopped about 30-35 yards out they run out of ideas, become static and end up giving the ball away.

That's what happens when four of the midfield are happier with the play in front of them, none of them want to get ahead of the ball.

They need another forward on, I don't know why they place Xavi, Busquets and Alonso in the same team.

Germany can come out of this tournament with their heads held high and should be a force in the Euros and the next World Cup.

Don't think i will bother watching the final tbh, Spain's passing at times might be brilliant but sometimes its boring and over the top. Holland haven't really played any decent stuff this tournament in all honesty. Can't see the final being a classic.

The problem with Spain tonight was the deployment of Villa, he likes to cut in from the right and he looked out of place down the middle and the left, he would have prevented Lahms runs forward and created much more for himself, the balance was not quite right, their passing was excellent and their work rate for a passing team was great to watch, who says you need to be big strong players to play football?

For this reason I want Spain to win the World Cup and hopefully change the way we look at the game in England.

• Backroom

Didn't think I'd say this but disappointed for Germany for me they have been the team of this world cup and I would have liked to see them win it.

Scoring four three times is an achievement and the played some nice football. They will be a force in the future again for sure.

O how the Spanish keep the ball by keeping it moving sideways, forwards, backards, anyway teasing the opposition like a matadoor does with his bull. Unlike our clowns!

We'll never change, we just need the rest for their standards to fall for us to have a chance. :angry2:

The Germans did well to hold Spain for so long but the best team won.

I was amazed at the strength of the Spanish defence. I thought that may be their weakness.

I shall be cheering on the spicks in the final.

I thought that the game was intriguing with the two very different styles of football on show. The Spanish kept the ball magnificently and as JAL says, the way that the move the ball around, looking for gaps to open and space to become available is fascinating and is masterclass in patience. They can however over it do it and go from east to west too much and commit too few men into the box. I think that there is one too many playmakers in the side and they could so with another forward. The Germans did well, they knew that they were up against a team who could keep the ball and were happy to play on the counter attack and they looked the more dangerous side. I tipped Spain at the start to win it and think that they will. It's a shame, because one of my best friends is Dutch and used to play with a lot of the Dutch players at youth level and I would be glad for him if they won it. But Spain have too much quality for me and I'll think they'll win. It's strange how these two teams, who would have been many people's favourites to get to the final before the tournament started, have reached the final even though they haven't played the open expansive football that you would associate with both countries.

Yawn yawn yawn... well bang goes any chance of an interesting final. :angry2:

Might as well go and watch a video of a pinball machine in slow motion.

Spain are an exceptional football team but they are excrutiatingly boring!

!

Yawn yawn yawn... well bang goes any chance of an interesting final. :angry2:

Might as well go and watch a video of a pinball machine in slow motion.

Spain are an exceptional football team but they are excrutiatingly boring!

!

Thank you ultra blue your thoughts perfectly sum up the character of English football fans.

The intricacy of the Spanish play is mesmerising. Body shape is always good for the one touch pass, throughout the team. Movement, interchange and domination of the playing area through this as well. They flood the midfield with at times 6 players in that area and always look to create an extra man on the ball.

The only critique that I have of them and know that some of their coaches feel as well is that I'd like to see them take more risk's in the final third and try and force the opening a bit more.

Archived