BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The World Cup Final Thread - Holland V Spain

Guest Kamy100

On TV coverage.......was over in Dubai for a few days recently and enjoyed the TV coverage over there on Al Jazeera.

They usually had Souness, Hoddle and Venables in the studio as pundits and all give a detailed opinion - they were not afraid to say what they think and even disagreed at times with each other which made for interesting viewing.

Different class and good viewing compared to the tripe on BBC and ITV.

When anyone disagrees with Souness he always looks on the verge of losing his temper and starting a fight. Still got a very short fuse, I think!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hansen has his moments, but he's also old hat sometimes and said teams were 'awful' so many times it lost all meaning.

Does anyone else have the feeling that Hansen is laughing up his sleeve and shedding crocodile tears whenever England cock up? I do and I can't help it. I bet as soon as the camera's off that he's on the phone to Dalglish asap and both are having a good laugh and taking the p1ss!

Does anyone else have the feeling that Hansen is laughing up his sleeve and shedding crocodile tears whenever England cock up? I do and I can't help it. I bet as soon as the camera's off that he's on the phone to Dalglish asap and both are having a good laugh and taking the p1ss!

We all are!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the lower reaches of international football, Scotland says hello.

We all are!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously then to avoid being tagged a hypocrite like Hansen you like him should be plying your trade north of the border and weaning yourself off the hated English tit shouldn't you Majiball? :huh:

Obviously then to avoid being tagged a hypocrite like Hansen you like him should be plying your trade north of the border and weaning yourself off the hated English tit shouldn't you Majiball? :huh:

I don't hate England, its just a nice to be able to dis England for a change as all you ever hear about Scotland from the majority of the English is detrimental. I regard myself as Scottish, but since I hold dual nationality in all effects I can say what I like about either without being a hypocrite.

Anyway since us Scots and Scottish trained are rated as some of the best in Europe coaching wise you should be grateful to have our expertise here. :P

I don't hate England, its just a nice to be able to dis England for a change as all you ever hear about Scotland from the majority of the English is detrimental. I regard myself as Scottish, but since I hold dual nationality in all effects I can say what I like about either without being a hypocrite.

Anyway since us Scots and Scottish trained are rated as some of the best in Europe Scotland coaching wise you should be grateful to have our expertise here. :P

;)

Savage: Prem clubs will play more like Holland than Spain next season - and I'm all for it!

I respect the point Savage is making, but let's remember that Holland weren't small-fries in this tournament. Prior to the WC, they were only ranked two places below Spain. There's a marked difference between pressing the opposition and booting them off the field. Holland have enough talent in their side not to depend on spoiling tactics.

I completely agree which is why I was so disappointed by the Netherlands team in the end. I still think a Germany v Netherlands final would have eminently more enjoyable and watchable. Spain play good football but it is boring, 30 passes with nothing at the end over and over gets boring...

I respect the point Savage is making, but let's remember that Holland weren't small-fries in this tournament. Prior to the WC, they were only ranked two places below Spain. There's a marked difference between pressing the opposition and booting them off the field. Holland have enough talent in their side not to depend on spoiling tactics.

I think Spains midfield domination over the hitherto excellent Germans probably formulated the Dutch tactics for this match.

I think Spains midfield domination over the hitherto excellent Germans probably formulated the Dutch tactics for this match.

But how important was it for the Germans that the young lad Mueller(sp) missed the Spanish game.

Surely he would have added something extra to the Germans, obviously its subjective but we must agree that the game would have been a lot closer than it actually ended up with young Muller in the side.

But how important was it for the Germans that the young lad Mueller(sp) missed the Spanish game.

Surely he would have added something extra to the Germans, obviously its subjective but we must agree that the game would have been a lot closer than it actually ended up with young Muller in the side.

Muller played as the wide man in a midfield 5/forward 3. The way Spain play, he wouldn't have received the ball enough to worry them unduly.

Germany benefitted from his absence but the Spain game may have been the stage for Ballack. Not as mobile as he once was, and undoubtedly he would have slowed them down in the games in which their mobility helped them run rampant (Australia, England, Argentina) but in the Spain game they were crying out for an experienced campaigner to deal with the Xavi/Busquets/Xabi Alonso triangle and Ballack has the experience in those kinds of duels. Also, like Klose, he was a master of putting season-long disappointing performances and manning up in the major international tournaments.

Germany were in the main stronger for not having him throughout the WC, but I thought they missed him a lot during the semi-final.

Just seen the De Jong challenge from the final. Bruce Lee would be proud. How the hell he, and Van Bommel never got sent off in the tournament I'll never know.

Bad challenge and very horrific to watch. Might sound odd and this is not excusing De Jong but it was better there than either higher or lower.

I see where your coming from, and I agree. I didn't watch the final, as something more entertaining than Spaniards passing the ball sideways for 90 minutes was on the other channel.

Correct......... Even the shopping channels are preferable to watching Spain.

I used to think the opposite. I always thought that Hansen was as delusional as the other pundits when it came to England, but I'm not so sure anymore.

For the purist, Spain's skill is great but it is boring.

I feel that Spain have changed over the past couple of years. At the European Championships, they passed and kept hold of the ball, but they were a lot more dynamic in their attacking play as well. While at the World Cup it was far more methodical and patient, with little end result. Apart from a World Cup!

I used to think the opposite. I always thought that Hansen was as delusional as the other pundits when it came to England, but I'm not so sure anymore.

I feel that Spain have changed over the past couple of years. At the European Championships, they passed and kept hold of the ball, but they were a lot more dynamic in their attacking play as well. While at the World Cup it was far more methodical and patient, with little end result. Apart from a World Cup!

They also played a regulation 4-4-2 throughout the tournament acceopt against Greece I think. This world cup they played a diamond formation without Torres firing and playing Villa as a left forward instead of a Stiker I think they lost that decisiveness in front of goal.

They also played a regulation 4-4-2 throughout the tournament acceopt against Greece I think. This world cup they played a diamond formation without Torres firing and playing Villa as a left forward instead of a Stiker I think they lost that decisiveness in front of goal.

I thought that Villa was actually a lot more dangerous when he was playing from the left. He said himself that he liked playing there and having a striker down the middle, because he got less attention there and had more room to operate. I thought that when Llorente played as the striker and Villa was supporting him from the left, they look far better.

• 1 month later...

Archived