BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tour De France Drama

I honestly can't remember where I saw it now, I've been flicking through the web about this today.

My contention is that OK, sport isn't life or death. But it does reveal character and personality, and Armstrong's doesn't look very nice from where I'm standing. I acknowledge his charity work but it is not necessary to judge the two things together.

I guess people know him more for the sport than the charity, so history will probably judge him harshly. Not that i really care because to tell the truth I've taken an enormous personal dislike to him.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That isn't really a true picture of the sport as it stands today. Where are questions being raised about Britain's Olympic cyclists?

If GB's cyclists are breaking records big time, then you will see a lot of people look doubtful at them.

The thing is is the doping cyclists and there have been so many, go up a hill the way a lot of us would on a flat plain.

-------------

What's interesting is remember how Lance Armstrong made a comeback?

I posted in one forum that if he had not made his come back in ?? When? 2009 I think, 4 years after he last won it in 2005, he wouldn't have gotten caught and this wouldn't have happened.

But this knowledgeable person told me they would have still caught him eventually though I still think it's just "who knows?"

--------------

The thing is, USADA is a branch of WADA, WADA (world anti-doping agency) are hard hard hard core. They banned some Italian footballers once just for showing up about 10 minutes late to a drug test.

If one ever goes against WADA, you better make sure you have a good case.

I think WADA is actually a sort of arm of the IOC, International Olympic Committee. And so then, is USADA and I guess every country has these kinds of branches.

Love to ride a bike, for a time, it's a charm to see the riders go through the French Mountainsides and country but that part wears off.

I tend to think Cadel Evans, Wiggins, most of these riders now are clean.... but some of these others, not so much like Contador... but it's a part of the sport. But as a sport, I don't think it's that great either but it's a good thing to do for recreation, leisure and exercise.

What you need to bear in mind is that cycling has by far the most rigorous approach to doping controls now. Some of the doctors associated with doping regimes have already said that they were active in other sports as well, including football. I rather suspect that there are plenty of sports hiding extensive doping regimes right now.

Speaking of Cycling, the 3rd man passed away just yesterday.

Who was the 3rd man? He was the most prominent rider after Coppi and Bartali in Italy during that era and he won Flanders I think twice and the Giro 3 times.

Nickname Lion of Flanders too.

Fiorenzo Magni, very colourful figure, he figures in the John Foot book Pedalare, Pedalare.

Unfortunately, Magni too was accused of being involved in a massacre (massacre was against Communist Italian Guerrillas, Red Brigade types) as he was supposedly on the Fascist side, that's all history.

Magni, who joined Mussolini's National Fascist Party in 1943, was the 'third man' of the golden age of Italian cycling at the time of the rivalry between Gino Bartali and Fausto Coppi. - http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/19/us-cycling-magni-obit-idUSBRE89I0JV20121019

In this picture, he was racing with a broken collar bone, so he was biting on some leather or something, to try to overcome the pain.

He was a great racer.

We don't know for sure but I gather he was more or less innocent of what he was accused of while being with the Fascists but then again, everyone was innocent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL8F3440096262ADB4&v=QVNI0p_7MLw&feature=player_embedded

The reason for the late showing is that the drug cheats are always a steps ahead of doping authorities, it is good to know that eventually testing will catch up and get them as it has with this cheat, don't care how much charoty work and how much money has been raised, there are millions of people out there doing charity work who never get the money this guy has through endorsements and sponsorships.

Armstrong has been stripped of his titles and banned for life by the international cycling union; http://nbcsports.msn...ld_news-europe/

I can't help but think this is a real real blackeye for the Tour.

Stating the obvious I suppose but still.

The Tour really is what Ultra Marathons are to Marathon runners, the Tour is just a stupendous endurance event, maybe too much. They ride crazy miles day after day.

That's why I've always liked some of those one day events like Flanders, Paris Nice and those sort.

• Backroom

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

They'll need to edit him out of Dodgeball now.

'I almost quit when I had brain lung and testicular cancer all at the same time *10 seconds of silence* but I'm sure you have a good reason to quit.'

That'll do, won't it? :)

As an aside, will the 7 cyclists who came 2nd behind Armstrong be awarded the titles?

'I almost quit when I had brain lung and testicular cancer all at the same time *10 seconds of silence* but I'm sure you have a good reason to quit.'

That'll do, won't it? :)

As an aside, will the 7 cyclists who came 2nd behind Armstrong be awarded the titles?

I think I read\ heard somewhere that only one of the podium cyclists out of the 7 years was clean.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing, Bradley Wiggins took a tumble, minor injuries riding. I wish him the best.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ycling/20246940

The Olympic champion was treated for rib and hand injuries after he was in collision with a vehicle near a petrol station close to his Lancashire home.

Be careful out there.

Map: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2229877/Bradley-Wiggins-released-hospital-Shane-Sutton-knocked-bike.html

• Backroom

Given that Bradley Wiggins got knocked over, Shane Sutton (his coach) got knocked over and today someone reversed into my car outside Asda, I think there's a conspiracy to harm Britain's top athletes :o

I think it's more than motorists should be educated. I don't think they realise the speed at which some cyclists travel.

If probably say one in three journeys I take on my bike consists of someone pulling out of a junction right infront of me..

ban cyclists off the roads ...simples.

Abbey, I thought you drove wagons for a living? In my experience wagon drivers have far more respect for cyclists than other drivers.

Anyway, the biggest problem is drivers don't appreciate our speed, nor will they wait 30 seconds to get by. The answer is to ride at least three feet, or more, from the kerb. This has three advantages, it forces drivers to overtake by crossing the centre line which means they have to wait till it's safe, secondly the cyclist avoids all the road debris in the gutter and finally if a driver cuts you up badly you've three feet to move into. If you're already in the gutter there's nowhere to go!!

Last point when passing parked cars the safe position is at least four feet out from the car provided this doesn't put you over the centre line. You need this space for the person who opens the door in front of you. If you've ever been "doored" and I have, you'll understand why!!! Frigging hurts.

• Backroom

I got doored going down a one way street (alongside a traffic jam). The rear view mirrors are there for a reason! Some drivers are absolute imbeciles. At least the window was wound down so I hung on belly-first rather after going through it, rather than hitting the ground.

Paul , last Sunday I saw 6 tandems riding 3 abreast and would not let anyone past... Dangerous.

Earlier the same day a peleton of I would say 30 -60 bikes rode 4 and 5 abreast thru eccleston and there was a cue of about 50 cars behind .

Last night I saw a bike doing about 40 mph go thru the witton lights on red and almost got knocked off. Seen this loads of times.

I drive a van now with a cable trailer on now and have seen , in Liverpool a lad hold the trailer and get towed !

Paul , last Sunday I saw 6 tandems riding 3 abreast and would not let anyone past... Dangerous.

See them around quite a lot. Six bikes in single file would be the same. As soon as a group of cyclists reaches six two abreast is safer for all - it halves the length of the group.

Earlier the same day a peleton of I would say 30 -60 bikes rode 4 and 5 abreast thru eccleston and there was a cue of about 50 cars behind .

Don't see your point. If there were 60 you want them in single file? Any large group of cyclists is difficult to pass. Can't be helped.

Last night I saw a bike doing about 40 mph go thru the witton lights on red and almost got knocked off. Seen this loads of times.

Jump a red light and you deserve all you get.

I drive a van now with a cable trailer on now and have seen , in Liverpool a lad hold the trailer and get towed !

Doubt he was a cyclist. There is a difference.

Archived