BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chip Shop

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of mates and I went into a kebab/chip shop after a night out in Blackpool (after the Todd/Dugarry kick up the arse match) and we all ordered battered sausage and chips. After a while, the man serving us picked up the first battered sausage and accidently dropped it on the floor. In no time at all, he picked it back up, chucked it back in the deep fat frier and then dished up our meals. We told him that it was disgusting and he said that it was okay because the fat frier would have killed the germs. We decided to go elsewhere and got a load of abuse from the guy for wasting his food. God knows how some of these places past the health and safety tests. I think the place afterwards looked extremely horrible as well thinking about it.

He does have a valid point.... But really you should have considered whats inside em not outside of them!!! :o

btw .. Have you never dropped a banger when you've either been barbequeing or camping and chucked it back in the pan / on the grill?

The Cemetery chippy in Colne is well worth a visit if you're travelling East to games or just want to taste top quality nosh - this is a subject I have researched extensively over the years much to the horror of my mrs who doesn't care for chippy food. Whalley Road in Clitheroe is a good one and there is a very good one in Stonehouse just outside Stroud which is basically a Northern mill town in the South.

Another couple springing to mind are in Leeds - one behind the Three Horseshoes pub in Headingley and the other at the bottom of Brownberrie Lane in Horsforth

Must go before I rush out to find a very late chippy tea

What used to be Laney's chippy on Hamilton Road Chorley is pretty good, as is the one 5 minutes from work on Railway Road.

As for deep fried pies, what about having a chip pie? Or even a pie pie, where a smaller pie is encased in a larger pie case-A Lancastrian edible babushka if you will.

chippy off City Road, London: great skate wings and chips

or Thowd Chippy in Towngate , Leyland with deep fried mars bars or cream eggs.

Does anyone remember "Speweys" in Croston. The owner like a pint or two at The Lord Nelson (ex. Higsons pub) and one night on last orders he went back rat ars$d to the chippy and spewed up in the chip fryer. He fished most of it out with the net-type scoop and, in front of punters, kept serving chips from the same fryer. TASTY :blink:

As I've grown up with it nothing beats Clayton Street, Dave is a legend.

Dave as in Jack and Freida's son?? Good god, still in the family if it is then. Always thought he looked a right gormless bugger :D

As for the deep fried mars bars they are really quite nice every now and then. One of the chippies in Stonehaven near Aberdeen is credited with "inventing" them and I have sampled them from "source" a few times.

Don't know about chippies but you have to have some Luca Icecream- here

Bloody hell Philip! This is a thread about chippy's ffs! Northern working man's staple nosh not limp wristed southern ladyboy food. I'd just about got used to calling you Philipl again but unless they have steak pudding flavour ice cream it's back to Mr Lar De Dar Gunner Graham for you. B)

Cheltenham Rd Chippy was class back in the late 90s but has been shut for years unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure that was the one we used to sneak out to from QEGS in the early 90's to get a proper school lunch <_< It was fantastic but just a converted terrace house in the middle of the street :rover:

Bloody hell Philip! This is a thread about chippy's ffs! Northern working man's staple nosh not limp wristed southern ladyboy food. I'd just about got used to calling you Philipl again but unless they have steak pudding flavour ice cream it's back to Mr Lar De Dar Gunner Graham for you. B)

Knickers in a twist Gord?

The question was about Edinburgh so I gave him a straight answer which if he goes to Luca's in Morningside he will be eternally grateful for.

Anyway this is more your style Gord- why McDonald's fries taste the way they do.

Pretty scary stuff and goes a long way for explaining why 90% of the food in the States looks fantastic and is basically tasteless.

Anyway, I vote for frites mayonaise followed by a visit to a chocolatier in Brussels-- yum yum!! :D

Heres a question for you Blackburn folk, back in 1993 or 1994 I had a Shearer Pie across the road from Ewood Park at a chippy. I can't remember what the place was called & I haven't seen it since so I'm assuming it's long gone but does anyone remember what was in a Shearer Pie? I've got a feeling it was Chicken and Beans but not 100% sure but it was based on his pre-match meal. Bloody lovely it was!

I'm not much of a chippy bloke (I just do the Chinese around the corner for curry & chips on my way home from a few pints & 50% ends up on the compost heap the next day) but my Mum swears by some place in Great Harwood

Any ideas?

Are you sure it wasn't from Leavers, which is a bakery on Bolton Road near the Darwen End? They used to open the pie serving hutch on match day afternoons. Bloody great pies their.

That was the one! And yes they did contain chicken `n` beans as that was the legend`s favoured pre-match meal at the time.

I'm not much of a chippy bloke (I just do the Chinese around the corner for curry & chips on my way home from a few pints & 50% ends up on the compost heap the next day) but my Mum swears by some place in Great Harwood

Any ideas?

Claccy St chippy again I'd imagine.... The most traditional / old fashioned chippy you could ever find. You certainly won't get curry sauce on your chips there Colin.

btw throwing waste food on a compost heap might be 'green' in perception but is definitely not the best idea ever.

Claccy St chippy again I'd imagine.... The most traditional / old fashioned chippy you could ever find. You certainly won't get curry sauce on your chips there Colin.

btw throwing waste food on a compost heap might be 'green' in perception but is definitely not the best idea ever.

OK & thanks, for the info on the chippy. I keep reading that cooked food shouldn't be put on a compost heap. I keep doing it and the worms keep eating it. Maybe time for a re-think somewhere.

I've certainly dragged this away from the Chippy thread so apoliges to everyone.

Back to great chip shops.

Colin

OK & thanks, for the info on the chippy. I keep reading that cooked food shouldn't be put on a compost heap. I keep doing it and the worms keep eating it. Maybe time for a re-think somewhere.

Colin

Worms will only only eat what the ever increasing vermin leave. Before your worms get a chance to eat the food that you discard the rats, foxes, squirrels, crows, magpies and flies in your neck of the woods will gladly have accepted the opportunity to feed and multiply. Im quite relaxed that I'm not your neighbour. :rolleyes:

Archived