BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Mall Extention

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my wife is the manager of a shop in town and said it has been very busy today. She said that Primark was packed and the area around was nice - more like Manchester than Blackburn. I'm sure the usual Blackburn 'knockers' will be on putting it down, but I think it can only be good for the town and when the other shops start to open up then hopefully Blackburn town centre can get back on its feet.

I had to make one of my rare visits to the shopping precinct today, and noticed that there was a new bit, so went to have a look.

There's a little cafe, a WHSmith's, this Primark place and a lot of boarded-up units. The first thing I noticed was the noise, it was so bloody noisy, like hundreds of people in a big echoey hall all yapping away at once, which indeed it was. Much noisier than the other bits. I forced my way into the Primark shop, past a couple of security chaps who were showing a handful of security tags to a couple of bobbies, and up the escalators to the menswear section. I've heard a lot of people talk about going to Primark, but to be honest I couldn't see what the fuss is about. Lots of clothes, but not many I would want to wear, all garish t-shirts with pointless things written all over them and pairs of jeans with extra seams sewn across them at funny angles, but I did see some cheap t shirts for £2, although the cloth was as thin as tissue paper.

Anyway pretty soon I found myself getting more and more annoyed with the whole experience, and cleared off home. I won't be going back in a hurry, not because I think it's rubbish or anything, it's just that I hate going to shopping centres, mainly because they're noisy and half full of idiots.

I hope this doesn't make me a Blackburn knocker.

I had to make one of my rare visits to the shopping precinct today, and noticed that there was a new bit, so went to have a look.

There's a little cafe, a WHSmith's, this Primark place and a lot of boarded-up units. The first thing I noticed was the noise, it was so bloody noisy, like hundreds of people in a big echoey hall all yapping away at once, which indeed it was. Much noisier than the other bits. I forced my way into the Primark shop, past a couple of security chaps who were showing a handful of security tags to a couple of bobbies, and up the escalators to the menswear section. I've heard a lot of people talk about going to Primark, but to be honest I couldn't see what the fuss is about. Lots of clothes, but not many I would want to wear, all garish t-shirts with pointless things written all over them and pairs of jeans with extra seams sewn across them at funny angles, but I did see some cheap t shirts for £2, although the cloth was as thin as tissue paper.

Anyway pretty soon I found myself getting more and more annoyed with the whole experience, and cleared off home. I won't be going back in a hurry, not because I think it's rubbish or anything, it's just that I hate going to shopping centres, mainly because they're noisy and half full of idiots.

I hope this doesn't make me a Blackburn knocker.

Nope, just a grumpy old f****r ;) haha

my wife is the manager of a shop in town and said it has been very busy today. She said that Primark was packed and the area around was nice - more like Manchester than Blackburn. I'm sure the usual Blackburn 'knockers' will be on putting it down, but I think it can only be good for the town and when the other shops start to open up then hopefully Blackburn town centre can get back on its feet.

Here, here, JW upper. Must say I'm spending more and more time in town these days usually with a trip to the excellent DW gym Audley followed by a high quality capuccino from one of any of the cafes on offer in town which all in all makes for a very pleasurable experience in Blackburn centre.

One small change the Mall have done which is very noticeable is were they've knocked down a brick wall near to the toilets that run out towards the back of the town hall, they've replaced it with a glass facade so that you now can see the greenery thats outside. Its small details like this that for me should give the Mall a strong future.

Looking forward to the H&M store opening along with Banks, when they do, I think Preston will be scrubbed off as a shopping destination.

One small change the Mall have done which is very noticeable is were they've knocked down a brick wall near to the toilets that run out towards the back of the town hall, they've replaced it with a glass facade so that you now can see the greenery thats outside. Its small details like this that for me should give the Mall a strong future.

I noticed this detail too. I must admit I have been very impressed with the stewardship of 'The Mall'. From the moment they took over from the previous owners they have put in a sustained level of investment ... from the obvious extension and clock tower refurb to the less obvious information desks and new tiling and ceiling refit. Contrary to the bleatings of the sheep-like 'negs' on this board I have always enjoyed going 'down town' and it is good to see that the experience is getting even better. There is a definite buzz about the place at the moment ... long may it continue and roll on the new Rovers Store in Church St. :brfc:

I've heard a lot of people talk about going to Primark, but to be honest I couldn't see what the fuss is about. Lots of clothes, but not many I would want to wear, all garish t-shirts with pointless things written all over them and pairs of jeans with extra seams sewn across them at funny angles

Primark is horrible for male clothes, a complete waste of time.

The girl's stuff is actually stuff that's in fashion and, prior to washing/wearing it a few times, can pass as something that came from a more expensive place. The men's stuff is just cheap tack though, it's like they haven't even bothered to try.

Contrary to the bleatings of the sheep-like 'negs' on this board I have always enjoyed going 'down town'

Neg alert!!

When they refund the completely unjust parking fine that was taken from me by the simple combination and obviously tried and tested method of deception and extortion then maybe I'll return to shop in Blackburn .... but then again maybe I wont too. 18 months since I last spent a single penny piece and counting. Sorry for the independent traders and all that but the little big men in the Town Hall can swivel. Funnily in those 18 months I've never once missed the modern Blackburn shopping experience one bit.

Until then it's the far more comprehensive options of Preston or Manchester for me. :tu:

btw .... The only exception to my exile being the excellent and probably irreplaceable Mellors on Lord St West. ;)

Neg alert!!

When they refund the completely unjust parking fine that was taken from me by the simple combination and obviously tried and tested method of deception and extortion then maybe I'll return to shop in Blackburn .... but then again maybe I wont too. 18 months since I last spent a single penny piece and counting. Sorry for the independent traders and all that but the little big men in the Town Hall can swivel. Funnily in those 18 months I've never once missed the modern Blackburn shopping experience one bit.

Until then it's the far more comprehensive options of Preston or Manchester for me. :tu:

btw .... The only exception to my exile being the excellent and probably irreplaceable Mellors on Lord St West. ;)

You do it on purpose don't you?

You wanna read the LET website comments from people on this subject.

They seem to think primark is going to drag the town down, and that lord square should have been kept as it was...

These must be people that stay in all day and dont stray out. The amount of people that go blackpool, preston and manchester just because they have a primark is huge. Having a primark in blackburn will be a huge boost. Although I wont shop in there myself as I think the clothes are the worst quality ever.

However Bank I am looking forward to...

They seem to think primark is going to drag the town down :lol:

And no-one's shopping on a budget in Blackburn are they ? Primark's great and more than adequately meets it's target audience. Used to love going to the one in Liscard before the annual trip to spain, cheap as chips.

And it's extension. ^_^

And no-one's shopping on a budget in Blackburn are they ? Primark's great and more than adequately meets it's target audience. Used to love going to the one in Liscard before the annual trip to spain, cheap as chips.

And it's extension. ^_^

I wondered how long it would be before somebody picked up / mentioned it ... :lol:

They seem to think primark is going to drag the town down, and that lord square should have been kept as it was...

These must be people that stay in all day and dont stray out. The amount of people that go blackpool, preston and manchester just because they have a primark is huge. Having a primark in blackburn will be a huge boost. Although I wont shop in there myself as I think the clothes are the worst quality ever.

However Bank I am looking forward to...

Haha. Unbelieveable some people. I wonder who they are? Skateboarders? I've not been down to the new Mall yet but if there's only one improvement it's that Lord Square has been wiped off the face of Blackburn town centre.

Quite looking forward to seeing the new European style market.

Primark,all the goods manufactured by 6 year old Indians,FACT.

But its cheap and I'm not an Indian.........

That just about sums up current attitudes to perfection. It's applied to lots of stuff in lots of situations thesedays. Is betta is cheepa being todays bywords.

However I do question the words 'all' and 'FACT' in the above sentence. You must have done some mighty in depth research there Mr Maureen. :rolleyes:

One things for sure if its a choice of working at 6 and earning money to buy necessities or living in absolute poverty surely it's a good thing?

It doesn't quite fit in with the Mall, but I saw in today's LT that Cafe Beees has closed with the owners allegedly owing thousand of pounds in rent arrears.

Dont think they, Bees cafe, agreed with the councils new rental valuation. When they refused the councils demands, the council didnt hesitate in booting them out especially as the council had given them the past year almost rent free in a prime location overlooking the cathedral and its grounds.

There is a sign in the window saying to the effect that, it isnt over yet, what that means suppose only the people concerned know.

I noticed this detail too. I must admit I have been very impressed with the stewardship of 'The Mall'. From the moment they took over from the previous owners they have put in a sustained level of investment ... from the obvious extension and clock tower refurb to the less obvious information desks and new tiling and ceiling refit. Contrary to the bleatings of the sheep-like 'negs' on this board I have always enjoyed going 'down town' and it is good to see that the experience is getting even better. There is a definite buzz about the place at the moment ... long may it continue and roll on the new Rovers Store in Church St. :brfc:

When complete it should bring Church street to life, but what I find strange is originally there was talk of Thwaites putting in a bar/cafe to replace the old Toffs, yet so far I havent seen anything in the plans for this, is this a sign of changing times.

Adding on I hope the Ainsworth street side is revamped next so as to compliment King William street and Church street and give off an added quality feel to the town centre.

Archived