BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Mall Extention

Walk a mile in my shoes ET. My feelings about Blackburn are born from the frustration of seeing the town that I live in and the town that I grew up in many years ago being systematically led in that time period down a downward path of degradation by our glorious leaders seemingly hell bent on a skewed and self destructive path of political ideology. You get what you deserve I guess.

A point of view from an outsider with some interest.

OK Gord, what are you doing about "your frustration"?

You could stand for council and make a real mark, after all you do have the solutions.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A point of view from an outsider with some interest.

OK Gord, what are you doing about "your frustration"?

You could stand for council and make a real mark, after all you do have the solutions.

I went to one full council meeting in the early 80's. The infantile behaviour and chrlishness was enough to put anyone off for life. It certainly put me off! It was simply an exercise in political point scoring by intellectual pygmies. Those buggfers were not interested in Blackburn at all.

As I said you get what you deserve.

I went to one full council meeting in the early 80's. The infantile behaviour and chrlishness was enough to put anyone off for life. It certainly put me off! It was simply an exercise in political point scoring by intellectual pygmies. Those buggfers were not interested in Blackburn at all.

So, if you're getting what you deserve, why are you complaining?

Thenodrog how could you, how, why did you run out on us, young lads like JW upper, myself, and many thousands more, left to suffer in Blackburn when you could have changed things for the better all those years ago but rather than fight you did a runner. :tu:

cheers Thenodrog.

Walk a mile in my shoes ET. My feelings about Blackburn are born from the frustration of seeing the town that I live in and the town that I grew up in many years ago being systematically led in that time period down a downward path of degradation by our glorious leaders seemingly hell bent on a skewed and self destructive path of political ideology. You get what you deserve I guess.

Your negativity towards Blackburn is chewing people off to put it mildly. If you have nothing positive to say or at least offer constructive criticism kindly bugger off and leave those of us who love living in this town in peace.

OK, so we're talking 20+ years ago. Things change - so if you think the council is still awful then why not try going again and voicing your concerns?

Observers are not allowed to comment. Anyway I believe full council meetings don't happen anymore and most decisions are made by an executive committee of 9(?) I think.

Your negativity towards Blackburn is chewing people off to put it mildly. If you have nothing positive to say or at least offer constructive criticism kindly bugger off and leave those of us who love living in this town in peace.

I may be wrong but I believe that you live in the Ribble Valley Jim? Is this correct?

Victor Meldrew + Eeyore + Franz Kafka = Thenodrog

Cheer up matey and stop moaning. If you feel so strongly about it all just go out and try and do something instead of posting unremmitingly negative conmments on brfcs.co.uk.

I don't think that they make the slightest bit of difference.

You could do some volunteering work, maybe a bit of environmental improvement; helping some disadvantaged children (probably best not by castrating their parents as you seem to want to;) or even do something to help the Asian population integrate into the local community.

I'm sure you'd love it once you got into the swing of things. Go on, have a go. You can come back on here in three months' time and tell us how much better it is to do something positive rather than sitting at home firing off embittered messages.

You know you really want to help an orphaned Pakistani child with a leg iron & an overgrown garden who needs help. You go for it right now bro. Respect!

High Five Mo Fo

Victor Meldrew + Eeyore + Franz Kafka = Thenodrog

Cheer up matey and stop moaning. If you feel so strongly about it all just go out and try and do something instead of posting unremmitingly negative conmments on brfcs.co.uk.

I don't think that they make the slightest bit of difference.

You could do some volunteering work, maybe a bit of environmental improvement; helping some disadvantaged children (probably best not by castrating their parents as you seem to want to;) or even do something to help the Asian population integrate into the local community.

I'm sure you'd love it once you got into the swing of things. Go on, have a go. You can come back on here in three months' time and tell us how much better it is to do something positive rather than sitting at home firing off embittered messages.

You know you really want to help an orphaned Pakistani child with a leg iron & an overgrown garden who needs help. You go for it right now bro. Respect!

High Five Mo Fo

I may be wrong but I believe you live in Manchester Colin? Is this correct?

Surely you could go and check it out just the once, theno? If then you don't like it much then at least you have given it a chance.

I respect your comment FLB. Hope you can do the same with my stance. Defrauded out of £75 by a faceless Orwellian system with a bullying and intransigent appeal procedure cannot be forgiven that easily.

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php/topic/23324-the-mall-extention/page__view__findpost__p__929972

A lifetime of experience tells me that if you were the former you would only leave the area in a box whilst if you were the latter your stay in Blackburn would prob be short. :rolleyes:

Playing amateur detective on your suggestion.......

'jw upper' does send out a clue, as does a Fernhurst Farm address with a bay window (step up from Oakdale I was co-incidentally informed only yesterday) so thats hardly council estate is it? You are mid 30's and have a smashing little lad (and no doubt future hopeful for BRFC centre forward):tu: so I assume you also are in a permanent relationship. I've no idea but I'd guess that you go to BRFC with an older relative.

Th expnese of a nice address and a young family would suggest to me that (and this is the nub of the problem for the shopping centre) like many in Blackburn that you have limited disposable income.

How have I done so far? :rock:

So build what you want in the centre just who from within the town is going to spend any real money to fund the development and provide money for future growth? If it isn't there then better shops will never show any interest and only the cheap tatt and poundshops will be around to make cheap offers to rent any premises.

The only way forward therefore is to attract shoppers from neighbouring towns. Perversely BwD council are currently mounting a legal challenge in cahoots with Blackpool's council to halt or at least minimise the Preston Tithe Barn shopping project. Whether that is morally of legally right or wrong I don't know but what I do know is that it's dog eat dog and whilst they whinge about Preston they obviously don't care a fig about the likes of Accy, Burnley, Darwen etc. So lets not have any crocodile tears over Preston's ambitions please.

btw ... Tosh is it? My impressions of Blackburn are not held by me alone.... http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/guide/seat-profiles/blackburn

"Profile: a former centre of the textile industry now fallen on harder times. Blackburn is a mix of deprived inner-city wards dominated by Muslim voters, white working class areas and Conservative voting suburbs. According to the 2001 census around a quarter of the population is Muslim...... ."

The real ills of Blackburn have been ignored for half a century. Apart from BAC and a few outstanding businesses there are simply no wealth creators. Without these I'd suggest any new development in the town centre is just like putting lipstick on a pig.

Blimey Theno ... did you used to write lyrics for 'The Smiths' in a previous life? How the hell have you managed to turn a rare positive news story about the town into a rant almost sounding like you'll 'scweeem and scweeem' if we don't all agree with you that we are in fact living in a tenth circle of Dante's Inferno. Oh and to save you asking ... I live in Darwen in the same way you live in Pleasington ... and we both orbit Blackburn. :rover:

Blimey Theno ... did you used to write lyrics for 'The Smiths' in a previous life? How the hell have you managed to turn a rare positive news story about the town into a rant almost sounding like you'll 'scweeem and scweeem' if we don't all agree with you that we are in fact living in a tenth circle of Dante's Inferno.

'Goodness knows I'm really unhappy now' that you've sussed me Neil. ;)

Alternatively instead of telling it how I see it I suppose I could always put the telescope over my blind eye in the manner that you and one or two others appear to have perfected.

'Goodness knows I'm really unhappy now' that you've sussed me Neil. ;)

Alternatively instead of telling it how I see it I suppose I could always put the telescope over my blind eye in the manner that you and one or two others appear to have perfected.

Thing is theno, most Blackburners know the town has fallen a long way, we know we will never catch Preston, I have lamented this town's decline often- I was described as 'Blackburn's slagger in chief' on another thread

But this development has seen the town moving forward for the first time in a decade or more (Rovers excluded), the footfall in the centre seems markedly higher, new stores breed more demand from other retaliers and a knock on effect. I firmly believe we can become the shopping hub of East Lancs- no great achievement I suppose, but at least the town's got a little positivity at the moment.

:wub:First day trading at Primark takings were well in access of 100k, not bad considering the goods are cheap to begin with.

Lipstick on a pig after so long without, definitely becomes an attractive proposition Theno.

I've no axe to grind with Primark cos I've never been in one but I overheard 2 of my secretaries speaking today. One told the other she went to Primark to have a look at what it was about. She said Primark stuff is just cheap tatt and she definitely won't be going again.

Theno you really have some issues with blackburn.

I`m sure your as outraged at the likes of bank, USC, bigger next, new look etc opening.

You say you go to these other more elite towns to shop? like preston and manchester I suppose whose big pulling power is actually the same sort of shops. (amazing how many people go to these towns just for the primark)....

You say you go to these other more elite towns to shop? like preston and manchester I suppose whose big pulling power is actually the same sort of shops. (amazing how many people go to these towns just for the primark)....

Truth is I 'clothes shop' as little as possible SAS. It's a horrible pastime..... but one that Mrs drog seems to enjoy..... as a solitary pastime. ;) I much prefer shopping around for food, gardening stuff and in builders merchants. Now thats proper shopping. :tu: As I've already said there is only one shop that holds any interest for me in Blackburn centre and thats the excellent Mellors.

Truth is I 'clothes shop' as little as possible SAS. It's a horrible pastime..... but one that Mrs drog seems to enjoy..... as a solitary pastime. ;) I much prefer shopping around for food, gardening stuff and in builders merchants. Now thats proper shopping. :tu: As I've already said there is only one shop that holds any interest for me in Blackburn centre and thats the excellent Mellors.

Mellors ?

We now have our new Rovers outlet, adjacent to Primark. One of which sells a Premium product, one doesn't. Can't see there being much of a cross trade going on for Latte and Baguettes from the masses. But It may reduce the queues at the match-day ticket office. For the price of a full Rovers kit, you could fill your wardrobe from Primark.

We now have our new Rovers outlet, adjacent to Primark. One of which sells a Premium product, one doesn't. Can't see there being much of a cross trade going on for Latte and Baguettes from the masses. But It may reduce the queues at the match-day ticket office. For the price of a full Rovers kit, you could fill your wardrobe from Primark.

Disagree, on Church Street and Fleming Square you have Exchange Coffee, Lime Deli and previously Cafe Bees- all do/did well with an emphasis on quality food and drink.

Archived