BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Mall Extention

A lifetime of experience tells me that if you were the former you would only leave the area in a box whilst if you were the latter your stay in Blackburn would prob be short. :rolleyes:

Playing amateur detective on your suggestion.......

'jw upper' does send out a clue, as does a Fernhurst Farm address with a bay window (step up from Oakdale I was co-incidentally informed only yesterday) so thats hardly council estate is it? You are mid 30's and have a smashing little lad (and no doubt future hopeful for BRFC centre forward):tu: so I assume you also are in a permanent relationship. I've no idea but I'd guess that you go to BRFC with an older relative.

Th expnese of a nice address and a young family would suggest to me that (and this is the nub of the problem for the shopping centre) like many in Blackburn that you have limited disposable income.

How have I done so far? :rock:

So build what you want in the centre just who from within the town is going to spend any real money to fund the development and provide money for future growth? If it isn't there then better shops will never show any interest and only the cheap tatt and poundshops will be around to make cheap offers to rent any premises.

The only way forward therefore is to attract shoppers from neighbouring towns. Perversely BwD council are currently mounting a legal challenge in cahoots with Blackpool's council to halt or at least minimise the Preston Tithe Barn shopping project. Whether that is morally of legally right or wrong I don't know but what I do know is that it's dog eat dog and whilst they whinge about Preston they obviously don't care a fig about the likes of Accy, Burnley, Darwen etc. So lets not have any crocodile tears over Preston's ambitions please.

btw ... Tosh is it? My impressions of Blackburn are not held by me alone.... http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/guide/seat-profiles/blackburn

"Profile: a former centre of the textile industry now fallen on harder times. Blackburn is a mix of deprived inner-city wards dominated by Muslim voters, white working class areas and Conservative voting suburbs. According to the 2001 census around a quarter of the population is Muslim...... ."

The real ills of Blackburn have been ignored for half a century. Apart from BAC and a few outstanding businesses there are simply no wealth creators. Without these I'd suggest any new development in the town centre is just like putting lipstick on a pig.

How very little you know about the goings on within the walls of the town hall!!

If I am honest Theno it seems you have some sort of personal vendetta against any kind of development within Blackburn town centre. and if you are so against it why do you still live in Blackburn?

Also to those praising how busy it is at the moment, you do realise it is the school holidays so it will naturally be busier than normal. best to wait until September before making any judgement.

and in my personal opinion I cant wait until we finally get a Topman :D

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How very little you know about the goings on within the walls of the town hall!!

If I am honest Theno it seems you have some sort of personal vendetta against any kind of development within Blackburn town centre. and if you are so against it why do you still live in Blackburn?

Enlighten me then dazmaz.

But do consider that my vendetta as you call it probably dates back to the building of the shopping centre instead of this and similar... http://www.blackburnnowandthen.co.uk/thwaites-arcade-c1960/

Sorry but second hand video games, pound shops and gangs of chavvy scroats, goths and hordes of belligerent islamic youth do nothing to enrich my personal shopping experience.

btw Visiting a car showrooms only last week I witnessed a grown man of IndoPak origin out with his family spitting out a great double gob of chewing gum onto the pavement. I told him off and he apologised but I couldn't get him to pick it up. Blackburn is just a horrible place to be these days.

If you must know, where funding for projects and programmes goes is decided by the NWDA and Pennine Lancashire, so if BwD and Blackpool bc wanted to stop preston from building a new shopping centre it honest ly wouldnt make a difference. The sane goes for hyndburn, burnley, rossendale and the like.

No matter what town to go in you will have the chavs "goths" skaters and the like hanging around doing god knows what. nothing anyone can do about it so deal with it

Also to those praising how busy it is at the moment, you do realise it is the school holidays so it will naturally be busier than normal. best to wait until September before making any judgement.

and in my personal opinion I cant wait until we finally get a Topman :D

Theno's antipathy to all things Blackburn (don't forget he would disband BRFC if he got his way) suites his agenda ... and anybody who don't know what his agenda is, is either new to the boards or has jelly for brains.

If you must know, where funding for projects and programmes goes is decided by the NWDA and Pennine Lancashire, so if BwD and Blackpool bc wanted to stop preston from building a new shopping centre it honest ly wouldnt make a difference.

So why are those two towns employing a firm of solicitors to take up a legal challenge?

Theno's antipathy to all things Blackburn (don't forget he would disband BRFC if he got his way) suites his agenda ... and anybody who don't know what his agenda is, is either new to the boards or has jelly for brains.

ES even I don't know my agenda. Could you elaborate?

I may be wrong but I believe you live in Manchester Colin? Is this correct?

My location is given as Manchester so yes.

Go Mr Grumpy, go grump & complain lots & lots. The fact that I live in Manchester should lead to an interesting next post.

So why are those two towns employing a firm of solicitors to take up a legal challenge?

ES even I don't know my agenda. Could you elaborate?

A legal challange? To be honest thats the first i have heard and i work within the department that deals with funding for the town centre devopment project (throughout pennine lancs) as well as the future jobs fund, working neighbourhoods fund and the like.

Today directed two young girls from Burnley around the Mall and towards Primark that was their first intended destination so the Mall is obviously attracting punters from further afield now which can only be good for Blackburn.

See Topman is going to open soon in the basement of Topshop, things seem to be moving pretty fast down there at the Mall.

Today directed two young girls from Burnley around the Mall and towards Primark that was their first intended destination so the Mall is obviously attracting punters from further afield now which can only be good for Blackburn.

See Topman is going to open soon in the basement of Topshop, things seem to be moving pretty fast down there at the Mall.

Sure I read that Dingleville is getting a new complex containing the likes of Next and wait for it... Primark.

a lad off this board has been done 25 pounds for displaying a ticket he had paid for upside down!!!!!!

then people say why go out of town!!!!!!!!!

My advice to him is to do as I have. Shop elsewhere. Despite appearences and evidence to the contrary Blackburn obviously isn't hard up enough to treat visitors with anything akin to respect and dare I say gratitude..... yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Will hopefully be visiting the town centre next month sometime. Looking forward to seeing the new mall extension and visiting the new Rovers store with my 10% off voucher that came with the Season Ticket :tu:

Even though it doesn't say on the voucher that you need to take it with you, take both your season ticket and voucher as otherwise they won't give it to you.

Even though it doesn't say on the voucher that you need to take it with you, take both your season ticket and voucher as otherwise they won't give it to you.

Not sure about that ... I used my ST to get a 10% discount and wasn't asked for any voucher.

• 2 months later...

I don't think a new Primark and Costa Coffee can compete with Preston now

That new Tithebarn project in Preston is going to kill other parts of Preston City centre. Fair play to them though, Blackburn will have to up its game another notch which may be a little bit harder with no senior cabinet minister in town but i'm with Blackburn.

Arte et labore

• Backroom

First I've heard of the Tithebarn project JAL, whats the idea?

Must say the Mall in Blackburn has improved a lot but I still enjoy Preston or the Trafford Centre as well. In fact the Trafford Centre is great for it's dining options alone.

First I've heard of the Tithebarn project JAL, whats the idea?

Its a massive £700m retail come something else development, around the current Preston bus station area and the land around it.

Thats £700m versus Blackburns £70m Mall extension the impact cant be ignored.

Blackburns got to move fast to counter this, thank god they've got a shyte football team.

Archived