BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Where Are The Goals Going To Come From?

Goalscorers from last season, league only:

Jacobsen: 0

Samba: 4

Givet: 2

Nelsen: 4

Emerton: 0

Dunn: 9

Roberts: 5

Grella: 0

Pedersen: 3

Zurab: 0

Linganzi: 0

Nzonzi: 2

Andrews: 1

Diouf: 3

Doran: 0

Olsson: 1

Kalinic: 2

Hoilett: 0

Salgado: 0

Jones: 0

Chimbonda: 1

McCarthy: 1

Di Santo: 1

So must have been...

Own goals: 2

Tota: 41

This season?

I predict...

Jacobsen: 0

Samba: 4

Givet: 2

Nelsen: 3

Emerton: 0

Dunn: 5

Roberts: 6

Grella: 0

Pedersen: 3

Zurab: 0

Linganzi: 0

Nzonzi: 3

Andrews: 0

Diouf: 2

Doran: 0

Olsson: 4

Kalinic: 10

Hoilett: 3

Salgado: 0

Jones: 2

Chimbonda: 0

Own goals: 2

Total: 47

Too optimistic? Not optimistic enough?

I know it's impossible otherwise I'd have sheikh wealth.

I think Kalinic will come into his own this year and start scoring, Goals from set pieces will increase (Givet, Jones, Nelsen, Samba, Nzonzi and possibly Jo), whilst Pedersen will continue his small contribution.

Interestingly two strikers between them only managed 2 goals, McCarthy and Di Santo. I think Jo alone, never mind plus another, could top that.

• Backroom

I expect Keith will chip in with a couple but otherwise your targets seem reasonable.

New striker to get 5 as well, no matter who you are 5 goals for a striker should be simple.

The style of football Rovers play under Sam does not favour the prolific strikers who are predominately box players or play through the channels, with many goals coming from set pieces, the whole team will contribute to the tally, I would expect any striker playing within our system would really struggle to score 12 - 15 goals per season, I would say 10 would be quite a decent haul in our system!

The style of football Rovers play under Sam does not favour the prolific strikers who are predominately box players or play through the channels, with many goals coming from set pieces, the whole team will contribute to the tally, I would expect any striker playing within our system would really struggle to score 12 - 15 goals per season, I would say 10 would be quite a decent haul in our system!

I agree. Given the high percentage of our goals that come from deflected, toe-poked knock-downs, the distribution will be essentially random spread around those players who are in and around the box for the set pieces. Olssen, Nico (hopefully) and Dunny might add a few more each from open play as they have a modicum of talent. Personally, I'll be amazed if anyone gets into double figures.

Same place as last season considering we haven't lost any goal scoring ability.

If anything Niko, Olsson, Nzonzi will all score more & our defence will get more clean sheets

We haven't gained any goalscoring ability neither!!

why the (Please don't use that word again) cant we do a simple thing, like pass and move? Forget who we have playing for us, but as a professional you should be comfortable doing this. Its no wonder we cant score goals, because we are unable to create space for players to run into.

Over the last 2 seasons we have only scored 81 goals combined in 76 games, which is not really a decent total to have. Usually 50 goals is a good return and means you probably finish above 10th, but during the seasons when Rovers have reached or surpassed that amount, there has been a main contributor to us reaching that tally. There are no signs that any of the current crop of players can finish with a similar return as that of McCarthy (06/07), Santa Cruz (07/08) and Bellamy (05/06) who all scored around 20 goals each.

Last season our current 2 forwards scored 7 league goals between them, and although we do need more goals being scored from the midfield players (Dunn aside) it just hghlights the need, as everyone has been saying, to sign another forward.

I think there's a little bit of an obsession with 'goals scored' here. It's the difference between number of goals scored vs goals conceded that counts - and even that can be unbalanced by freak results.

Just to give you an idea:

- 08/09, Fulham came 7th scoring 39 goals

- 09/10, Birmingham came 9th scoring 38 goals

I'm not suggesting that we're fine in terms of firepower, blatantly we need more, but it is possible to be successful scoring roughly a goal per game as long as the defence is well organised.

Getting 50 goals is not a realistic target at this stage, that sees you challenging for the top 8 places and we don't have the finances to do that.

I think there's a little bit of an obsession with 'goals scored' here. It's the difference between number of goals scored vs goals conceded that counts - and even that can be unbalanced by freak results.

I'm not suggesting that we're fine in terms of firepower, blatantly we need more, but it is possible to be successful scoring roughly a goal per game as long as the defence is well organised.

Getting 50 goals is not a realistic target at this stage, that sees you challenging for the top 8 places and we don't have the finances to do that.

I understand you're point and some clubs do have successful seasons without scoring a great deal of goals, but for a team to have success with that sort of goal ratio, the goals against column has to be fairly low or similar. In terms of goal difference for rovers, it is -34 over the last two seasons hence why then a better return of goals is needed if that continues. I believe defensively we look sorted and have fine cover and flexibility, however, against any opponent an extra cutting edge is needed in order to create chances, and then the quality to put the ball in the net. So far we don't seem to have much creativity and don't take the chances when they arrive.

correct me if i'm wrong...but if you DONT SCORE you DONT win?

We don't have the finances to be in the Premiership. But we haven't allowed that to stop us in the past.

Archived