BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mame Biram Diouf

BPF

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounded like he had a very good 45mins, created a few chances and scored himself. However the reports from Hannah are that he didn't look that good and not to get our hopes up! :xmas:

He can play poor all season for me as long as hits the back of net more than are current crop. ;)

good luck diouf, and maybe we'll see something this year from our spitting diouf!?

Aye, it might make him push that bit harder. After all, it would be embarassing for him and his huge ego if he wasn't even the best Diouf at Blackburn Rovers!!

Just watched the interview with new boy Diouf on the offy site and he sounds well up for the season.

Also, Robbo was in the background trying to put him off during the interview and then just as its ending and the camera is pointed at Robbo, he says "at last, we've now got a Diouf that can score a goal".

Well done Robbo – never a truer word spoken!

Well I was pleasantly surprised and quite impressed with Mame Diouf. Bear in mind he was coming on after only one day of training with team mates who did not know his ways and vice versa and in spite of this he showed immediately that he could spot an opening and his movement off the ball was excellent. He showed great acceleration and ran into space beating the offside trap and obviously expecting to recieve a pass on a number of occasions soon after coming on, but unfortunately for him his team mates in our midfield were not used to such things and either did not respond or did so too late. Eventually Diouf got the message and just waited for the inevitable long ball over the top and then chased that and battled with the Hearts defenders for it. He did show an ability to do this though which he is going to need playing for us, and he wil need to quickly forget all that learned at United.

However be that as it may; he showed pace and ability to head and use both feet and he is much more like a young and motivated McCarthy than a Roberts. So he will do for me!

I'm happy that we finally signed someone. A few of my friends are United fans and I remember them saying last season that they thought he looked good. United are supposed to rate him highly too (although they would say that. Chelsea rated Di Santo highly too). He will add some much needed pace to the side and hopefully is a better and more accurate Jason Roberts. We need someone else to go with him now.

I saw him play a couple of times for the Red Scum last season, and I thought he looked like a bit of a headless chicken to be fair. I seem to remember him fluffing a few chances in one of the games. Shall reserve judgement until I've seen him in a Rovers shirt for a good number of games, one things for certain he surely can't be any worse than the last loan signing we got from them lot in Danny Simpson.

Running in to space is not, unfortunately, an attribute that our players possess, they prefer to stand around waiting ...

Waiting for Keef to point :lol:

Judging from the goals he scored in Norway, he has one hell of a leap 'a la Speedie'

Hope the lad does well but we are pretty much scraping the barrel if we are borrowing someone else's player for the season and hoping to present him as our main summer signing.

He can't be as motivated to play well for us as if he had signed permanently, however if he does do particularly well, we're unlikely to be able to land him or afford him.

It's lose lose in many ways.

In my eyes a loan should be for no more than half a season to either provide extra cover for your existing options or come in in case of emergency like a serious injury.

Not become an alternative to actually signing players.

Is it pronounced Mammy as in Barry Ferguson is wee Mammys boy, or Mame as in Andy Todd fully intended to Mame Robin Van Persie?

I do hope it is the former, if for none other than the Song opportunities.

When he played in Norway his name was pronounced "Mamm Biram Diouf".

Hope the lad does well but we are pretty much scraping the barrel if we are borrowing someone else's player for the season and hoping to present him as our main summer signing.

He can't be as motivated to play well for us as if he had signed permanently, however if he does do particularly well, we're unlikely to be able to land him or afford him.

In my eyes a loan should be for no more than half a season to either provide extra cover for your existing options or come in in case of emergency like a serious injury.

My thoughts too although am not too sure what alternative we have given our financial situation. It's pretty depressing if he is our main signing.

On the positive side we did need a striker, and we now have one, and he must be cheap even for us being on loan. I'd much rather we have Diouf than Beattie, Benjani or any other past it waster who'd just drain our resources.

I completely disagree with that statement Rev. If I was a young hopeful at OT and about 4th or 5th down the pecking order, and then got a season long loan at another PL club I would be moving heaven and earth to show SAF what I could do if given an extended run at PL 1st team level, and to show him that he needs to re-asess the pecking order.

Just like Gresko. His first spell here was a calamity until he signed permanently. Oh, wait. :rolleyes:

I always thought that Gresko's change of fortune co-incided with, and had more to do with, our sale of Duff. I might have my dates mixed up, though.

Archived