BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton Preview

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Observer - flops of the day - Olsson with 5/10.

Eh? What's all that about?

Gordon Moulden I think that you got this wrong.

If I had to name one player who could've done better, I would say Olsson too. Not that he was bad, but he wasn't as direct and explosive as in the spring.

If I had to name one player who could've done better, I would say Olsson too. Not that he was bad, but he wasn't as direct and explosive as in the spring.

But surely not deserving to be in the flops team of the day?

In my opinion he did a fine job, with his pace causing Phil Chuckle problems all afternoon.

Perhaps he thought that 5/10 would not have got him in the team and possibly food for thought for Mr Moulden in future?

That is all I would ask our Obserser Fans Network panelist to consider.

What happened to E. Diouf yesterday?

He seems to have got some pace back, and he worked his nuts off. If he can keep that up it is like having a new player, I think most of us had written him off as 'past it'.

Edit: By the way, am I the only one who thought Phil Jones was crap yesterday? He only completed one pass in ninety minutes!

He seems to have got some pace back, and he worked his nuts off. If he can keep that up it is like having a new player, I think most of us had written him off as 'past it'.

Agreed, on the ball he is excellent- control, can pass, rarely gives it away cheaply, a pro at 'buying' fouls... But looked like he was towing a caravan. Yesterday, he seemed to have an extra yard.

Wow, watching the match replay now and Dunn looks huge, possibly bigger than Benni Mac did for us! Anybody know what the situation is with his injury BTW?

Thank god I'm not alone, it might be muscle, but he looks massive. Diouf was back to his Bolton best yesterday, tireless running and used him cunning to win free when needed to great effect. :rover:

Good way to start the season.

Some points:

1. The Everton away shirt is rubbish
  2. I thought Diouf and Pedersen were really strong. If they can keep that up for the remainder of the season, I think we'll score alot more goals than last season.
  3. Happy to see Kalinic score so early in the season. Howard definitely helped with his error but Kalinic took the chance well. I think he battled manfully throughout the game and proved he has some talent at this level.
  4. Really gutted about Dunn's injury. Hopefully it's minor.

Edit: By the way, am I the only one who thought Phil Jones was crap yesterday? He only completed one pass in ninety minutes!

I didn't think he was crap, but I don't want to see him in midfield again either.

Thank (Please don't use that word again) some people actually appreciate what Diouf can do.

people do appreciate him when he performs, like yesterday

but in the context of his whole rovers career it has been rare that he does

Wow, watching the match replay now and Dunn looks huge, possibly bigger than Benni Mac did for us! Anybody know what the situation is with his injury BTW?

Hasn't he been overweight for some time..he still did well last season but he definately looks heavier..Maybe he's on the Benni Mccarthy diet...

Incredible that a professional footballer cannot keep himself in shape. I'm a regular schmuck and I can do it - there's really no excuse for Dunn.

Yeah but you probably don't spend half your life led on a treatment table!

Good result, good start to the season, some very good defending which I always enjoy watching, but I have some sympathy for those who said it was boring: one meaningful save in the entire game from both keepers says it all - if you want to see plenty of goalmouth action, this wasn't the one for you.

Three points less to be stressing about next March

Yeah but you probably don't spend half your life led on a treatment table!

Ledley King doesn't even train full-time and he hasn't ballooned. Light training + a healthy diet is more than enough to keep someone in shape, especially when they're supposed to be a professional sportsman. Like I said, there's no excuse.

How do you know most of Ewood was surprised at the MOTM award Mark?

People around me all seemed to agree he deserved it.

Also great save by Robbo with his face :)

My thoughts exactly. I had already mentally awarded MOM to MGP long before it was announced. Also strong candidates for me were Salgado, Jones, and all the back line. Also worthy of a merit were Both Dioufs', Kalinic, N'zonzi and Robbo. And counting up that makes all eleven that finished the match.

Some of the people that have actually slated Pederson on here saying he was rubbish etc are just too unreal to ever take seriously again. Just to give one example out of the countless class touches he demonstrated and that I can remember in detail. In the second half one of the back line "hoofed" a long ball out of defence to break up an Everton attack and it was aimed staight for Pederson standing about 10 yards into the BBE half and almost on the left touchline. As the ball arrived about thigh/waist high he just plucked it out tof the air with outside of his right foot and all in one moved off with it infield. and with his next two steps or so he had seen M. Diouf over on the RH side just outside the box and hit a glorious lobbed pass over the Everton heads and right to were M. Diof could just run on to it, which he did. That is only one of many good things he did, but which it seems are too subtle for complete football numpties to appreciate or even to see either it would appear.

Hasn't he been overweight for some time..he still did well last season but he definately looks heavier..Maybe he's on the Benni Mccarthy diet...

He's never been especially trim, but he's certainly put on weight over the close season. Quite a bit, in fact.

Fingers crossed he's just got a minor injury. Fat or thin, he's our best attack-minded player.

Ledley King doesn't even train full-time and he hasn't ballooned. Light training + a healthy diet is more than enough to keep someone in shape, especially when they're supposed to be a professional sportsman. Like I said, there's no excuse.

I wasn't being serious ;)

I agree with what you say but to be honest I couldn't tell if he was looking that plump from where I was stood and haven't seen any highlights yet.

Another brutalist Allardyce performance bringing a very welcome win over Everton. I hope that we can add a bit more football to the mix though and rely a little less on Robinson punts, Diouf falling over to win free kicks and Pedersen long throws.

Are you quoting that from somewhere, Paul? I sit quite close to the action and I saw several sneaky Everton kicks and pushes aimed at Rovers players, not to mention tackles ignored by the Ref, who was quick enough to yellow card an identical one from a Rovers player.

:lol:

Sponsored by 'Gay Pride' possibly?

I must say looking at the massed ranks of blue shirted Everton fans it doesn't look like the new away strips are proving anything other than a marketing disaster. I can't recall seeing one.

I saw a young lady wearing one, but to be honest it didn't look any better on her than on the players. Best we saw were two men wearing the pink shirt, together with matching ballet tutus and pink tights!!!

My thoughts exactly. I had already mentally awarded MOM to MGP long before it was announced. Also strong candidates for me were Salgado, Jones, and all the back line. Also worthy of a merit were Both Dioufs', Kalinic, N'zonzi and Robbo. And counting up that makes all eleven that finished the match.

Some of the people that have actually slated Pederson on here saying he was rubbish etc are just too unreal to ever take seriously again. Just to give one example out of the countless class touches he demonstrated and that I can remember in detail. In the second half one of the back line "hoofed" a long ball out of defence to break up an Everton attack and it was aimed staight for Pederson standing about 10 yards into the BBE half and almost on the left touchline. As the ball arrived about thigh/waist high he just plucked it out of the air with outside of his right foot and all in one moved off with it infield. and with his next two steps or so he had seen M. Diouf over on the RH side just outside the box and hit a glorious lobbed pass over the Everton heads and right to were M. Diof could just run on to it, which he did. That is only one of many good things he did, but which it seems are too subtle for complete football numpties to appreciate or even to see either it would appear.

The bullies are out again, Fife! It's the old story, folks see what they want to see.

Archived