BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Nightlife

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to be ignorant, but does Peppers not exist any more? Last time I was in Blackburn I couldn't even seem to get down towards Toffs where that fountain is with the ramp up to WH Smith.

I certainly remember at least two other night clubs as well as Peppers although I can't remember where they were; one was a sort of corrugated iron shed sort of round the back of Debenhams and one might have had the word "pineapple" in the title (this was in the late 80s).

It's an interesting point about the student life, but the place was pretty buzzing in 1987 without any need for more students. The only reason we ever went to Preston was for a couple of novelty visits to The Manxman.

I still miss The Vulcan too. Ahhh....

Remembered drinking with my brother years ago in 'Coconut Grove' (near the market ? Penny Street ?) the later we were regulars at Mr G's on Fleming Square. Not as poncey as Pepps and the owner lived near the parents so we straight to the front of the queue, that p1ssed everybody off :)

On big nights out we'd always nip into St John's Tavern early on to have a quick Polish spirit. The stuff was lethal but we always had one and generally ended up staying in for a couple of pints to get rid of the taste.

Jazzy Kex was also a good time if you didn't fancy queing up for the Cav. It got really busy there now and again too though. Is it still open?

The Revidge run was indeed a great night. A nice warm evening made for a fantastic time.

Was the Fleece Inn on the Barbary coast run? That was another strange joint akin to the Sun Inn.

Remembered drinking with my brother years ago in 'Coconut Grove' (near the market ? Penny Street ?) the later we were regulars at Mr G's on Fleming Square. Not as poncey as Pepps and the owner lived near the parents so we straight to the front of the queue, that p1ssed everybody off :)

Coconut grove - that was the one I was thinking of. Not pineapple. Still, close-ish. Ainsworth Street.

And Mr Gs - that was the other one. Thanks.

Fleming Square is listed on Google Earth as being in Darwen, for some daft reason. If there is a centre to Blackburn, it's pretty much right there.

Google Earth also shows a big muddy hole in the ground where Peppers, Toffs and Yates Wine Lodge should be. Blimey.

Coconut grove - that was the one I was thinking of. Not pineapple. Still, close-ish. Ainsworth Street.

And Mr Gs - that was the other one. Thanks.

Fleming Square is listed on Google Earth as being in Darwen, for some daft reason. If there is a centre to Blackburn, it's pretty much right there.

Google Earth also shows a big muddy hole in the ground where Peppers, Toffs and Yates Wine Lodge should be. Blimey.

Wasn't Coconut Grove on Penny Street?

I seem to remember it as a Matthew Brown pub-but I can't remember its previous name.

Coconut grove was once the Regent..Famous for lots of rock bands,part tribute part their own stuff..Monday night was my fav....Bet no one here remembers the Starlight Club and Who appered there..Spent junior school years hanging round the dressing rooms collecting autographs,playing footy on the carpark with band members(and pinching a swig of Beer when you had the chance)

Coconut grove was once the Regent..Famous for lots of rock bands,part tribute part their own stuff..Monday night was my fav....Bet no one here remembers the Starlight Club and Who appered there..

Became Unit 4? Dunno any acts, too young. Try Jim .... he probably booked em.

Coconut grove was once the Regent..Famous for lots of rock bands,part tribute part their own stuff..Monday night was my fav....Bet no one here remembers the Starlight Club and Who appered there..Spent junior school years hanging round the dressing rooms collecting autographs,playing footy on the carpark with band members(and pinching a swig of Beer when you had the chance)

I used to go to the Starlight Club every Sunday night. I saw people like Acker Bilk, Lonnie Donnegan, Karl Denver, Ronnie Carrol, Frank Ifield and many more. Two top acts and support acts AND cheap beer for half a crown. The gambling ban saw the end of that and several other great clubs around the area.

Thanks.Remember the SLC well as a nipper and all the stars I met just hanging around the back door ... Freddie Davis Vince Hill etc...Enjoyed Blackburn nightlife from 1974-1980 best.watching groups at the Regent,Lodestar & sometimes at Bold street Workings Man club,Accrington .Fav nightclub venue for me at the time was the New Inns

Anyone remember the annual charity 3 legged pub crawl clockwise round Corporation Park in the 70's/80's? Think it went like this: half pint in each of the following:

Sir Charles Napier (start & finish)

Grapes

Bank

Alexandra

Leamington

Gibraltar

Quarryman's

Dog

Corporation

Sportsmans

Hole I'th Wall

Oozebooth

Shear Bank

Carlton

Leopard's Head

Sir Charles Napier (finish)

Might have missed some.

I've had a great night/morning the Dogs about 7 or 8 years ago. Just went in there by chance and was the landlords birthday.

The pub wasn't the best but it was wall to wall packed, some really friendly people, especially the ladies and the beer was good.

I think we rolled out about 7 in the morning.

Anyone remember the annual charity 3 legged pub crawl clockwise round Corporation Park in the 70's/80's? Think it went like this: half pint in each of the following:

Sir Charles Napier (start & finish)

Grapes

Bank

Alexandra

Leamington

Gibraltar

Quarryman's

Dog

Corporation

Sportsmans

Hole I'th Wall

Oozebooth

Shear Bank

Carlton

Leopard's Head

Sir Charles Napier (finish)

Might have missed some.

Was The Carlton the pub in the shopping precinct with a balcony overlooking Lord Square?

Does anyone remember the 70's & possibly early 80's when loads of people descended on Blackburn town centre on Saturday nights because the Mecca paid for free buses from other areas (as far away as Wigan & Lancaster if I'm not mistaken)?

That alone created a 'lively' atmosphere.

I used to get the bus from Leyland.

I remember the coachloads, and the night one of the customers got thrown down the stone stairs by the bouncers and a whole coachload tried to force their way back into the club to get the doorman.

Assistance shouts to Northgate, thin bloody blue line it was that night. Good job we had the dogs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Could anyone answer a question for me. There's a pub on a corner on Darwen Street just down from the Postal Order, I think it's now called The Last Orders. Sometime in the early 90's it changed it's name to The Mended Drum (I think). My question is what was it called before that? I've been racking my brain for years!

Found this whilst seeing if I could find out myself. Closed Pubs in Blackburn. Thought it was interesting. Not sure how up to date it is and I'm sure there are others but it just goes to show.

Archived