BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Nightlife

Could anyone answer a question for me. There's a pub on a corner on Darwen Street just down from the Postal Order, I think it's now called The Last Orders. Sometime in the early 90's it changed it's name to The Mended Drum (I think). My question is what was it called before that? I've been racking my brain for years!

Found this whilst seeing if I could find out myself. Closed Pubs in Blackburn. Thought it was interesting. Not sure how up to date it is and I'm sure there are others but it just goes to show.

Zanzibar in the 80's Merchants before that.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could anyone answer a question for me. There's a pub on a corner on Darwen Street just down from the Postal Order, I think it's now called The Last Orders. Sometime in the early 90's it changed it's name to The Mended Drum (I think). My question is what was it called before that? I've been racking my brain for years!

Found this whilst seeing if I could find out myself. Closed Pubs in Blackburn. Thought it was interesting. Not sure how up to date it is and I'm sure there are others but it just goes to show.

Ciren, on that website as the Merchant's Hotel but can't say I ever remember it as that. Mind you, it also reckons it's now called the Stage Door but that's on Mincing Lane not far away isn't it?

Ciren, on that website as the Merchant's Hotel but can't say I ever remember it as that. Mind you, it also reckons it's now called the Stage Door but that's on Mincing Lane not far away isn't it?

The Merchants on Darwen street was Blackburn's homosexual pub. It was bought privately and became a fashionable wine bar Zanzibar in the early 80's.

The Stage Door is now Blackburns primary homosexual pub, prior to this it was called the Wheatsheaf. Rather appropriately it is on Mincing Lane.

The Stage Door is now Blackburns primary homosexual pub, prior to this it was called the Wheatsheaf. Rather appropriately it is on Mincing Lane.

It maybe run by gays but by no means frequented by gays only, far from it.

It maybe run by gays but by no means frequented by gays, far from it.

It can get absolutely heaving- Blackburn must be the new Brighton if it was gays only!

(says it all when a small, back street boozer like that is Blackburn's busiest town centre pub)

It maybe run by gays but by no means frequented by gays only, far from it.

You may well be right jal. Truth is it's half a dozen years since Friday night town fizzled out and I gave up bothering to go. It was on the circuit back then on the way to the busy Northgate scene and was a real Puffs Paradise but maybe it's benefitted from everything else's demise.

btw Does it still enjoy the nickname 'The Back Door'?

Wasn't it run by Clitheroe Kate? Never met a bloke brave enough to him a poof to his face ! ;)

Hey I could shift a bit when I needed to in those days Nick. :rolleyes: Anyway I rem there was one more fearsome mine host in those days...... Margaret Grimshaw. :unsure:

By far the best site for anything Blackburn-based is the wonderful Cottontown.org.

Archived