BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Xbox Repairs

Hi Guys

hope all is well. Right, so here is the situation. I work for a company, that sells games. One of the employees bought an xbox, which was faulty. We did the exchange for the customer, but I still have the faulty console(no pwer cables, controls etc) with me.

The company, where we need to send the faulty back to, closed down. A new company took over, and after trying my luck to have it swapped out again failed due to them picking up the serial number and that the console has already been swapped out.

It has the RROD, so what im trying to find out is, is there a way to have this fixed by yourself? Ive googled, and found the towel trick and sticking cotton buds in where the fans are and over heating the xbox. I don’t want to throw the console away, as I don’t have an xbox, and thought perhaps I could get a year or so out of it ;-)

Cheers

Isgak

If you don't mind eventually destroying it forever then doing the towel trick every few days will get you some use out of it.

Providing it is in warranty, Microsoft will sort it. Best ringing them to find out..

the problem is BPF, is that its already been swapped out and replaced for the customer. Id guess Microsoft will pick that up to, and wont help. I might as well throw it away, as its just lying in my cupboard at work.

• Moderation Lead

I just sent mine back to Microsoft and they sent me a new one back, as they couldn't repair it.... They extended the warranty due to the E74 error (RROD)

Its an easy fix, open the case and remove the x clamps from the gpu and cpu, clean the chips and apply more thermal paste, refit using bolts instead of the clamps and put back together.

The clamps dont hold the cpu and gpu blocks firmly enough casuing it to overheat.

As Hughesy said you can buy kits on ebay for around £5.00 and will come with a tutorial too, only bugger is getting the damn case open.

Archived