BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Frank Fielding Called Up For England!

What Fielding needs is a season where he is the number 1 keeper in the Championship where he can gain more experience where the pressure is a lot higher and the quality is better than in League 1 & 2.

These days keepers are becoming first choice of the clubs at a much younger age so I think time is running out for Frank to challenge for the number one spot. He's got Paul Robinson ahead of him as well as two good reserve goalkeepers with a lot more experience than him.

To be honest, i'm surprised we've still got all 4 at the club heading into the new season.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck to the lad, the only thing is that now that he's been called up will he not demand to be 2nd choice at Rovers.

It's a good oppertunity for Rovers to get shut of either Bunn or Brown and free up some dosh for a forward .

I think any manager, fan would have pretty much picked the same England squad that Capello took to South Africa, give or take the odd player, because they all play for the top clubs in England and prove they are great players by consistently performing at a high level week in week out. In qualification he pretty much used the same players and we had a good run of results.

For some unknown reason all the players failed to perform at the big stage. Usually you get the odd player not performing for one game but the whole team didn't perform for all four games. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that something was majorly wrong behind the scenes. Now in the media we are starting to hear the problems that are coming out from the England players such as his half time team talks, failure to motivate the team, off the field problems at their base camp etc.

I'm not defending the players either, they were awful and have to share the blame but we all know that they aren't awful playing for their club sides. If Capello cannot transform their club form to the international team then he isn't the right man for the job.

That's my opinion anyway :)

Good luck to Fielding, I hope he learns a lot and benefits from the experience and I hope Blackburn also benefit from this.

Only someone from a mental insitution would select past-it deep Aston Villa reserve Emile Heskey, or leave Robinson behind in place of relagated bottom-of-the-Premiership David James or barely-sruvived no-thanks-to-him Robert Green.

Only someone from a mental insitution would select past-it deep Aston Villa reserve Emile Heskey, or leave Robinson behind in place of relagated bottom-of-the-Premiership David James or barely-sruvived no-thanks-to-him Robert Green.

Heskey did a good job for us in the qualifiers, and James had consistently played well these last few years for Portsmouth and had been consistently up to the job for England; regardless of his team's position in the table.

Your posts resemble someone posting from a mental institution though...

Capello at the U21 game tonight. Strange considering he has abandoned the youth aspect of his role because he doesn't care anymore and is trying to get sacked.

Wow. You're working overtime for the Capello PR campaign.

http://blogs.soccernet.com/blackburnrovers/archives/2010/08/the_rovers_number_4_maybe_engl.php

This is pretty unbelievable. Our top goalie turns England down because he doesn't want to keep the bench warm, and our fourth choice goalie gets to sit in his seat. Methinks we may have our goalie rankings somewhat base over apex at the club .

I base his international management on his international record. Problem? :mellow:

No, you base his international management abilities on four games.

What else could you be possibly basing it on? I mean we did well up until the World Cup, granted easy opposition but you can only beat what's put in front of you and we disposed of Croatia pretty easily twice.

And international management and club management are hardly two completely different things. They still involve a lot of similar qualities although there are a few key differences too. It's probably fair to say that after being a club manager for so long, he might have been naive to those key differences when the World Cup came along but his track record shows he's worth getting behind.

But no, it's far easier to get on the bandwagon, listen to the media and blame one man when the problems are far more complex than that.

Qualified from an average qualifying group, scraped through an even weaker WC group, and crashed out against the Germans, whilst splitting the dressing room in the process. His club level achievements means nothing here if he can't produce the goods on the big stage when it matters most. I don't believe all of England's problems are Capello's doing, but the buck always stops with the manager. Especially when that manager is one of the highest earners in the business.

Amazing story which can only be good news for Fielding & for Rovers.

I cant say I know much about Fielding, other than by name. Can anyone on here who has genuinely seen him play a bit sum up his qualities? Does he genuinely show the potential yet to develop into a fully fledged England keeper, or is this call-up likely to be just a bit of a fluke?

Why can't you apply that logic to Robbo??????

Robbo?!

He was poor in his first season here, not to mention for Spurs before he got let go on the cheap.

He's been consistently good over the last season though and deserved his England call up which he foolishly turned down.

What's that got to do with anything?

Qualified from an average qualifying group, scraped through an even weaker WC group, and crashed out against the Germans, whilst splitting the dressing room in the process. His club level achievements means nothing here if he can't produce the goods on the big stage when it matters most. I don't believe all of England's problems are Capello's doing, but the buck always stops with the manager. Especially when that manager is one of the highest earners in the business.

So yes, you did just base it on four games.

Average group yes, but Croatia are a very good side.

His club level achievements are relevant - he has produced the goods on the "big stage" time and time again. Unless you don't count Champions League finals and Serie A/La Liga successes as not the "big stage"? Clearly achievements at club level are relevant as there's many of the things you need to be a great club manager you also need to be a great international manager.

Marcello Lippi presided over Italy's dismal, dismal failure this time round. However he also won the World Cup last time round (not to mention numerous club successes). You can be a great international manager and still have a poor World Cup.

I'm not saying Fabio is a great international manager but as I said I think he was naive to some of the key differences between club and international management, but given his track record I'm backing him to put them right. If the media and our fans who like to just on the bandwagon head first let him.

Oh, and how much he earns has absolutely no correlation with how good he is.

Archived