BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sky+ Hd Box

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a 46 inch panny this year. Got a good deal on an S10 from M&S, £600 with a 5 year cover.

A bit of googling allows you to unlock the service menu and tweak the Gamma resulting in a picture quality in keeping with their higher end models.

A bit of googling allows you to unlock the service menu and tweak the Gamma resulting in a picture quality in keeping with their higher end models.

And that right there is the trick. You can spend as much as you can afford on a tv, but if you don't have it calibrated right, it's still a waste.

Just a quick heads up if you are on the hunt for a telly at any stage Oz. £319 for a decent brand 32" full HD.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/201117

Supurb TV, I thought when I got one last year for £380 it was a bargain as did quite a few pwople at the time because it took a while to find a store that had it in stock.

Just to rub my problem in further...my Mum just splashed out on this Sharp 40 Inch Backlit LED monster, and asked me round on Tuesday night to install it for her. Truly fantastic telly.

Now my Mrs is going nuts at me to buy one. :(

eh? thats the best news ever. Getting the Mrs on side is always the hardest part and thats been done for you. :D

..............errr vaguley related. I'm thinking of getting BT Vision, we have a nice Panasonic with built in Freeview, full HD ready etc. Any comments on BT Vision, I've heard nothing but praise from others who have it.

Don't even mention Sky though please as I have totally, absolutley no interest in their products.

• 5 months later...

Cheers Baz-That site looks very cheap but maybe a little too cheap. I have ordered the Toshiba 40 inch Freeview HD via Amazon for £407 delivered. I work with Amazon and know if there is any problem at all they will sort it pronto.

I sold my old Toshiba 36 inch CRT mentioned earlier in the thread for £100.

Will provide a verdict on it once it is up and running.

• 2 weeks later...

The TV is great-well the picture is anyway. The sound is awful though, I guess a result of having a thin TV means no decent speakers or a sub like my old one had. Three steps forward, one back there.

The DNLA system-the advertised dongles are all about £40 or so-can I not just use a standard wi-fi USB dongle for it?

They're widely available online amazon etc sell them and I got mines on ebay. The above link shows how it works, they let you use your existing house wiring to send your internet around your house, a bit like a giant ethernet cable!

My wifi modem is in the attic and as a result the wifi signal is low in our living room so I use it to connect up my laptop when I want to watch streams on the TV from my laptop.

I originally bought mine to use with my Slingbox and this also works well.

They're widely available online amazon etc sell them and I got mines on ebay. The above link shows how it works, they let you use your existing house wiring to send your internet around your house, a bit like a giant ethernet cable!

My wifi modem is in the attic and as a result the wifi signal is low in our living room so I use it to connect up my laptop when I want to watch streams on the TV from my laptop.

I originally bought mine to use with my Slingbox and this also works well.

I'm not sure how these things work, but I'd hazard a guess that it would depend on how your house was wired. If you have different circuits for different rooms, then you'd have success in one, but not in the other.

Check it out before you buy.

I'm not sure how these things work, but I'd hazard a guess that it would depend on how your house was wired. If you have different circuits for different rooms, then you'd have success in one, but not in the other.

Check it out before you buy.

I use them quite a bit. They are pretty low latency (ping time) but they suffer bandwidth wise (streaming movies can struggle over them), any house with a ring main (i.e. most in the UK) should support them fine.

Archived