BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sky+ Hd Box

Full CAT5 is the way to go. I have 2 sockets in every room and 4 in the lounge. Granted it involved holes in the wall and a complete redecoration :D

I have upstairs (where all my PCs and my router are) on CAT5, but I have the Xbox and DVD/DivX player in the living room in the living room on HomePlugs. I've looked at dropped a spur downstairs, but it will (as you say) lead to redecorating, which I can do without.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use them quite a bit. They are pretty low latency (ping time) but they suffer bandwidth wise (streaming movies can struggle over them), any house with a ring main (i.e. most in the UK) should support them fine.

We got a similar thing with BT Vision (which is very good) and it occasionally struggles when we are watching from either the BBC or ITV iPlayer things. Movies have been good so far.

We are redecorating the lounge this summer and I've worked out I need eight additional sockets fitting to cope with all the stuff we have !!!! Most of the sockets are going on the wall behind the TV cabinet so that will never be moved again.

Anyone tried having sockets in the floor for this purpose as it would be more discreet?

• 6 months later...

Anyone need a new tv?? Just 22 hours to go on deal, looks a good deal to me.

On livingsocial.com

Sharp Sharp 40-Inch 3D Aquos Quattron LED LCD TV with Delivery Included and One-Year Warranty (£599); and Add-On Pair of Sharp 3D Glasses (£34)

• 4 weeks later...

Having just got a nice little pay rise I want to buy a flat screen telly so I can have it wall mounted but I don't have a clue what all the features are with them! They all have loads of different features but what do all the features do! Which are important? Does brand name matter? Has anyone seem any good deals on at the moment? Is wall mounting them easy?

I don't know about deals but I did loads if research on this about 18 months back. Everywhere I looked it kept coming back to buy either a Sony or Panasonic - we got a Sony on the basis the frame around the screen is slimmer. Otherwise hard to separate the two!!

Be sure you read up and understand what is full HD as not all TVs have this, though they may say HD ready.

Archived