BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Warning

get ya crash helmet the pompus brigade will be at you now lol.

cheers for heads up.

I have no problem with people who stick to the limit, but what about drivers who drive at least 10mph below the limit, I work in preston and I dont go on the motorway to work but use the back road.

The amount of times I get behind somebody in a Micra or Fiesta, who seem to think that they have to drive 30 mph everywhere, between Higher Walton and Walton Le Dale there is a camera on a 40 mph stretch of road, a lot of times I'm behind a car that will drop their speed down to 30 mph because of the camera why.

Even the goverment haven't stooped to setting cameras at 30 in 40 area.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problem with people who stick to the limit, but what about drivers who drive at least 10mph below the limit, I work in preston and I dont go on the motorway to work but use the back road.

The amount of times I get behind somebody in a Micra or Fiesta, who seem to think that they have to drive 30 mph everywhere, between Higher Walton and Walton Le Dale there is a camera on a 40 mph stretch of road, a lot of times I'm behind a car that will drop their speed down to 30 mph because of the camera why.

Even the goverment haven't stooped to setting cameras at 30 in 40 area.

It's just a standard way of identifying 80% of all women and 100% of all thicksters behind the wheel of the car in front. An even greater indication is provided by the drivers whose brake lights appear and a 5mph reduction in speed occurs when they see a speed camera on the other side of the road facing them! Just how mind numbingly stupid are they? :lol:

Seriously they shouldn't be on the road. Awareness of road conditions is zilch and imo that is up there with reckless driving in causing accidents. Speeders are regularly taken off the road but why are bloody awful drivers allowed to blunder around with seeming impunity?

btw as an aside........ I much prefer roundabouts to traffic lights. They nearly always reduce unecessary queuing and presumably fuel wasteage so why do the same proportion of drivers as above invariably stop at roundabouts and mini roundabouts whether they need to or not? I can't get my head around that one no matter how I try. How many times do 3 cars stop at mini roundabouts and peer nervously around like frightened rabbits caught in headlamps? Surely anybody who can walk and talk at the same time should be able to cope with such a basic road feature?

Alternatively ............I may have stumbled across an alternative explanation! These people obviously can't think and perform basic tasks like normal human beings so could this be a way of identifying infiltration of aliens in human guise? :o

I'd better email the Men in Black straight away.

Or maybe you should be asking yourself why you travel at the speed you do whether it is legal or not. Would you drive at 80 if that was legal? And if so why when you were so content at 70? Why not drive at 60?

A good question.

I suppose it's all to do with getting old. I don't do getting rat-faced on Saturday night, walking over cars and puwking up in the street.

I take my library books back before I get fined.

When old people are still crossing the road when the lights are green for me I wait.

At the supermarket I let the granny with her two tins of cat food go before me.

I pull funny faces at small children who stare at me and then make them laugh.

I pick the fruit from my neighbour's tree for her. She's 80+ and can't do it herself.

So that's why I don't bother exceeding the speed limit. It's got a nil result, it gets you nowhere, no-one is happier because you do it. Even you're not even happier because you do it.

I suppose it's a very "Zen" way of looking at life, and has taken this thread way beyond Abbey's original post. But there you are.

Speed limits - they are there. I'll stick by them. I don't have enough rebellion in me to bother. I'll keep my rebellion to other things that do concern me.

Cheers

Colin

A good question.

I suppose it's all to do with getting old. I don't do getting rat-faced on Saturday night, walking over cars and puwking up in the street.

I take my library books back before I get fined.

When old people are still crossing the road when the lights are green for me I wait.

At the supermarket I let the granny with her two tins of cat food go before me.

I pull funny faces at small children who stare at me and then make them laugh.

I pick the fruit from my neighbour's tree for her. She's 80+ and can't do it herself.

So that's why I don't bother exceeding the speed limit. It's got a nil result, it gets you nowhere, no-one is happier because you do it. Even you're not even happier because you do it.

I suppose it's a very "Zen" way of looking at life, and has taken this thread way beyond Abbey's original post. But there you are.

Speed limits - they are there. I'll stick by them. I don't have enough rebellion in me to bother. I'll keep my rebellion to other things that do concern me.

Cheers

Colin

After reading that, you need to change the avatar, your not Ralph, your Ned Flanders :lol:

Anyone know what the new camera outside Ocean Palace in Darwen is?

Its 2 black cameras, which has a camera facing each way - and its live as they have been wiring it up over the past few weeks...

Big Brother I'd imagine..... the original not the TV show.

Anyone know what the new camera outside Ocean Palace in Darwen is?

Its 2 black cameras, which has a camera facing each way - and its live as they have been wiring it up over the past few weeks...

Sounds like a traffic control camera though these are usually dark blue. These are the cameras that feed the traffic images back to various control points, the things you can view via the internet for traffic reports etc.

Corrected it for you.

Why are you bothering doing all this whining anyway? Everybody simply slowed down for them before accelerating again the minute they were past them. I'd hazard a guess that the mobile speed camera's are doing a roaring trade now.

btw I notice the last lay-by on the westward carriageway of the arterial road frequently has a mobile speed camera there just before the site of the old fixed camera which has been removed was. I'd wager it's made far more money since the static one was taken away, and after all that is the name of the game isn't it? It's basic rope-a-dope tactics by the authorities aimed at targetting the motorists. You should be pleased Jim.

Big Brother I'd imagine..... the original not the TV show.

I was thinking it might be some sort of number plate recognition camera...is that what you mean?

There is a camera just like it as you come off the motorway near to Preston Hospital.....

Sounds like a traffic control camera though these are usually dark blue. These are the cameras that feed the traffic images back to various control points, the things you can view via the internet for traffic reports etc.

What traffic control would be needed up there though?

I was thinking it might be some sort of number plate recognition camera...is that what you mean?

Yes. I think it's intention is so that police can spot any unwanted scallies / gypo's / terrorists whose car numbers they have on file entering or leaving the town.

• Backroom

For info there was a mobile camera unit on the way out of rishton today parked just outside the new hand car wash at 19:45.

Will catch a few out as it's just after where it drops from fifty to thirty.

Will catch a few out as it's just after where it drops from fifty to thirty.

It must be difficult for some people to slow down from 50mph to 30 mph when there are whacking great road signs asking them to do it.

It must be difficult for some people to slow down from 50mph to 30 mph when there are whacking great road signs asking them to do it.

I know from reading this thread that you obey the limit and I have no problem with it and respect you for it, but when you drop from 50 to 30 or even a drop of 10 mph in the speed limit, most people and I include myself are still doing over the limit.

Also while we are on the subject of speed, when your driving on the motorway and you come across a police car that isn't on an emergency call, you will find that they do about 60 mph, the reason for this is that if they did 70 mph they would end up with a rolling roadblock after a few miles.

I know from reading this thread that you obey the limit and I have no problem with it and respect you for it, but when you drop from 50 to 30 or even a drop of 10 mph in the speed limit, most people and I include myself are still doing over the limit.

Grabbi,

Without being in anyway sarcastic or patronising: There's this thing called a brake. It's down there under the steering wheel and it slows you down. Put your foot on it and you slow down. I'm not trying to be a smart-bottom here. It just seems like a very simple and very obvious solution.

BTW,

I'll just repeat my question from a few posts ago: Would anyone who likes to exceed any speed limit care to explain why they see the need to do it?

What advantage do you get from it? How does it make your life better. Richer? More fulfilled? Any takers?

Grabbi,

Without being in anyway sarcastic or patronising: There's this thing called a brake. It's down there under the steering wheel and it slows you down. Put your foot on it and you slow down. I'm not trying to be a smart-bottom here. It just seems like a very simple and very obvious solution.

BTW,

I'll just repeat my question from a few posts ago: Would anyone who likes to exceed any speed limit care to explain why they see the need to do it?

What advantage do you get from it? How does it make your life better. Richer? More fulfilled? Any takers?

Yeah I know where the brake is, I have to use constanly when I'm following an over carefull driver who thinks that doing 30 mph in a 50 zone is quite acceptable, and when their going downhill they have the brake on all the way down.

I think going over the limit is just human nature, although some do take it a little further than others in a built up area/ A roads.

The inability to keep a vehicle at/or under the speed limit shows a distinct lack of skill.

If you were to take your driving test again, doing what those that adnit to speeding do, then you would fail, and you would keep failing until you did the right thing.

Archived