BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

Ricky

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are correct. Thought I had read somewhere that he scored.

I think he set one up. Royston Drenthe has never fulfilled his early promise. I remember seeing him play a couple of years ago. I was staying with a dutch friend who I went to uni with in the U.S. He lived in the east of Holland, very near the German border and Feyenoord were playing his local team in a pre-season friendly. Drenthe had just come back from the U-21 European Championships and everyone was talking about him. This turned out to be Drenthe's last game for Feyenoord before going to Real. People were telling me how he was very good, but it was too big a move too soon. And that's how it turned out. He, like so many others, was lured in by the name of Real Madrid without really thinking if he would ever play and improve. Real aren't a team that you go to and get a chance to grow. You have to perform and win straight away. He was very talented and if he had stayed with Feyenoord a bit longer and developed further, he would be a far better player than he is now. In saying that, it's hard to turn Real down and you may never get a chance like that again. But more often than not you are left on the bench or in the reserves and everyone forgets about a once promising player.

Reb, seems to me the only answer is to get your scouting right. Doesn't matter what age your signings are as long as you get more right than wrong. Yep, potential returns on youngsters (Nzonzi, Samba might be examples) might be better, but there's a higher risk of em not working (Rigters, van Heerden, the vast majority of the academy). Sign the finished article and it'll cost you more but carries less risk (McCarthy).

Stunning insights r us.

I haven't done the research and probably won't (maybe it would interest someone to do though), but I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say that all told since the Prem began, we will have ###### money against the wall buying "experience" and made a fairly tidy profit on youth (taking youth to be 24 or under). Or at the very least that the profit/loss will be better on the youth ones before we even account for the likelihood that the young players will have taken less in wages. This doesn't account for the value that "experience" brings to a squad's playing performance and financially in preserving Prem status or climbing the table. But I've always felt this is overrated- if you're good enough you're old enough. Players like Cole were instrumental in keeping us up, but were Duff, Samba, Bentley any less crucial for us?

I think Drenthe is pretty good from what I've seen, was very green-eyed when Madrid got him. But like Hughesy says, it's a pressure cooker there. Even stars can implode at Real.

Someone explain to me why is Alexandr Hleb playing for Birmingham?

It's like every club around us bought superstar players over the summer, but the board did not give us 1-2 million to spend.

I think you answered your own question.

Other teams had money to spend. We didn't.

Someone explain to me why is Alexandr Hleb playing for Birmingham?

It's like every club around us bought superstar players over the summer, but the board did not give us 1-2 million to spend.

You have answered your own question. So why tf do you need to ask anybody else and make an issue of it?

Our board are DESPERATE to get rid of us, why would you spend money on something you wanted rid of?

Because they have an obligation to provide us with the bare minimums to function during the transfer window regardless of what else is going on behind the scenes?

But who am I kidding.

Because they have an obligation to provide us with the bare minimums to function during the transfer window regardless of what else is going on behind the scenes?

But who am I kidding.

Which they did do. The bare minimum is £0. Which is what we had. And is what has been discussed over and over and over and over again 18 days ago.

Not too sure what you are trying to achieve by bring this up again and again. Did you possibly think that all members forgot maybe that we didnt have any money to spend and that you were helping us to remember? A community service maybe?

Or just flogging the dead horse of the one and only point you bring up on this mb.

Which they did do. The bare minimum is £0. Which is what we had. And is what has been discussed over and over and over and over again 18 days ago.

Not too sure what you are trying to achieve by bring this up again and again. Did you possibly think that all members forgot maybe that we didnt have any money to spend and that you were helping us to remember? A community service maybe?

Or just flogging the dead horse of the one and only point you bring up on this mb.

There WAS money to spend. Just not enough and too much caution in some quarters.

Lewandowski WAS a cash target, Dindane would have been a buy. Even Popov would have cost money. And Beattie.

Not to mention those Mystery Strikers we were told about...

can you not read? The bare minimum to function in the transfer market. To be able to buy at least one player in a position we need. Every Premiership club that is properly ran can expect at least a few million to spend to strengthen its squad. Why do you think BFS was angry about our situation? Because he is being shown the clear facts that there is "£0" to spend and no one can do anything about it, or because he knows we can and should expect better financial support? Think about that before talking nonesense.

I think some people here are going to cry if this takeover deal goes through and we lose the trustees, who apparently can do no wrong.

1 million smackaroonies dumped in our bank each week of the year yet it's not enough to run a football club. The game is sick beyond belief.

This thread seems quite pointless now, it was annoying enough when the window was open, but for some people to still be questioning the lack of funds nearly three weeks after the window closed is taking the mickey.

These Spaniards seem ready to breakthrough at 16 or 17 a la Bojan or Canales, but I think this league may be a bit different but if he is THAT good then teams like Barcelona and Real dont usually look for 16 years olds who will make it at 21 but rather begin introducing them at about 18.

• Guest featured and unfeatured this topic

Archived