BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] South Of The Uk

PAFELL

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pafell- have you tried posting on other Rovers' forums?

There are quite a few Rovers supporters from the south on the Official www.rovers.co.uk board for instance.

Thanks, to be honest I had not given that a thought.

Everyone, I wasn't actually referring to yous as glory hunters! Would be a masochistic kind of glory wouldn't it?!

It was just a gag referring to how Man Yoo fans never accept that that's what they are- there's always a link with a long lost dad/grandad/uncle/neighbour that is a Manc.

Glad to welcome all of you on board, especially robohitler with your first post. :)

Thank you :-)

As it's come up in jest and it might be interesting to know how Rovers have got fans down South, I might as well mention WHY I put myself through following Rovers despite not being from Lancashire. I grew up in Bedfordshire when Luton Town were still pretty good, and being an obstinate little s**t I refused to support Liverpool like all my mates did, so started following Luton. A year or two later my Dad took me to Kenilworth Road and I was just old enough to realise I never wanted to set foot in that stadium (or Luton, for that matter) again. Anyone who has been to Kenilworth Road will understand. By 1991 all the players I liked had bailed out, Luton were in free-fall, and I saw a news report that Kenny Dalglish had gone to a club I'd never heard of who were on the up in the division Luton looked destined to plummet into (and straight through). The attraction of supporting yet another small-town underdog combined with Liverpool's old manager having gone there was more than enough to get me curious so I latched onto Rovers in that promotion season. Since then it's been probably more of a rollercoaster than any other club could've provided and I've not regretted the decision the ten-year-old me made for a second. Particularly as the other obvious choice - supporting a team based on where my family's from - would've made me a Newcastle fan and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I must admit it's nice to be called most amazing bazza! :)

I still have a fondness for those damn canaries but not enough to stop me gloating about Rovers premier league status as they toil in the lower divisions. Fair's fair, we have done a stint down there in my time supporting the club and I got plenty of grief when we were relegated.

Norwich were playing some lovely stuff back then and I did visit Carrow Road a number of times before realising that my heart wasn't in it and for some reason the arrival of small town club Blackburn Rovers with a fairy tale making owner at the helm just grabbed me and I've been hooked ever since.

Who you guna support tonight??? :rolleyes:

Thank you :-)

As it's come up in jest and it might be interesting to know how Rovers have got fans down South, I might as well mention WHY I put myself through following Rovers despite not being from Lancashire. I grew up in Bedfordshire when Luton Town were still pretty good, and being an obstinate little s**t I refused to support Liverpool like all my mates did, so started following Luton. A year or two later my Dad took me to Kenilworth Road and I was just old enough to realise I never wanted to set foot in that stadium (or Luton, for that matter) again. Anyone who has been to Kenilworth Road will understand. By 1991 all the players I liked had bailed out, Luton were in free-fall, and I saw a news report that Kenny Dalglish had gone to a club I'd never heard of who were on the up in the division Luton looked destined to plummet into (and straight through). The attraction of supporting yet another small-town underdog combined with Liverpool's old manager having gone there was more than enough to get me curious so I latched onto Rovers in that promotion season. Since then it's been probably more of a rollercoaster than any other club could've provided and I've not regretted the decision the ten-year-old me made for a second. Particularly as the other obvious choice - supporting a team based on where my family's from - would've made me a Newcastle fan and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I had never heard of Blackburn either until Shearer (my favourite player at Saints) moved to Blackburn. Obviously with the formation of the Premier League for the 1992/93 football season and Blackburn gaining promotion to become founder members of the rebranded League it meant it was easy to follow Shearer's progress at Blackburn and I have stuck by them since. Having Flowers and Kenna move from Southampton to Rovers before they won the league meant I got a lot of abuse from my Saints supporting friends saying their reserve team won the league but to be honest a lot of my friends give me a lot of respect for supporting them for so long despite them saying I would always go back to Saints.

If anyone I don't know asks who I support, I also wait for them to respond with "i bet it was since you won the league?" which used to be very annoying but now i'm older I just laugh it off and if i'm honest, it probably happens a lot less these days due to Sky making it a lot easier to support teams from around the country due to the amount of football on TV.

Close(ish), but no cigar.

I'm from the wee town of Havant.

My first post on here. Have followed the rovers since the early 80's, when Bobby Saxton was at the helm. I moved south about 2 years ago, ( the wife is from down here) to a little place called Emsworth. Just down the road from you Topman. If we are on sky I usually watch the game in the railway on North Street (with a couple of rovers fans who are in the army, based at Thorney). Where do you watch them?

Everyone, I wasn't actually referring to yous as glory hunters! Would be a masochistic kind of glory wouldn't it?!

It was just a gag referring to how Man Yoo fans never accept that that's what they are- there's always a link with a long lost dad/grandad/uncle/neighbour that is a Manc.

Go on then you have dug yourself out of a hole. Understand what you think about Man U fans etc.

Some interesting tales on this thread, how folk who don't live in Lancashire, came to support Rovers. Even the links to the club are good, my dad this or I was living in, when such a such player etc.

Down south miself, currently living in Hampton, Middlesex. No rovers fans round here! Big Chelsea area.

Play football for the rovers supporters club in London which has picked up great recently for rovers fans relocating to the South. About 5/6 new faces joining up for this season. All good.

I live in a small village not far from Bedford, and funnily enough there were quite a few Blackburn fans in my year at school. Try to get to half a dozen games a season (home and away). Apparently Jim Mk II used to live in the next village along from mine - I think that's almost a claim to fame on here!! :lol:

I've got lots of family around that area an spent many summers in Kempston.

PS. Don't forget we have ............. http://www.brfcs.co.uk/membermap/

This thread makes me laugh..no names but some of the most gobbiest know it alls don't even attend games ..ha made my walk a little brighter

And yet they still know more than you! Keep walkin' on sunshine. ;)

Dalston East London - any fellow Hackey Rovers here?

Very close. E2. Brick Lane

Where you watching the Arsenal game this weekend then? Train was stupid money due to Bank Holiday, and the 12.30 ko.

But am up for the fulham game on September 18th tho.

Live in a small village close to Dorchester (Dorset) and know of eight other Rovers supporters who live close by .

Have supported Rovers since 1961 and first visited Ewood park in 1967 v Ipswich Town. Manage to travel to 2-3 home games every season plus southern away fixtures.

Gosh, just been to Winfrith today.

I live in a tiny village in Cornwall - just 32 houses and there are 3 families of Rovers fans living here (and no we're not all related). I was born in Bamber Bridge and grew up in Feniscowles so used to walk (as soon as I was able) to the home games through the 'dark years' of the 70s. We travelled as a family (parents and 3 brothers) to numerous away games too. I have a famly now and so getting to games is nigh on impossible. However, we try to get to a game whenever we are visiting family - at least once a season - so all three of my kids can experience the fantastic atmosphere of Ewood.

I moved down to Harrow, Middlesex/north west london a few months ago.

It would be nice to meet a few fellow rovers fans down here. I would like to at least try to get to the London away games this season if i can work allowing, as i work weekends.

I have joined the "Blackburn Rovers London Branch" facebook group but at first glance it doesn't seem very active. Is this the London supporters club that you mention Rovers_Dan??

Very close. E2. Brick Lane

Where you watching the Arsenal game this weekend then? Train was stupid money due to Bank Holiday, and the 12.30 ko.

But am up for the fulham game on September 18th tho.

I go to uni up there (with at least 1 other rover on my course, though I don't think he's on this board) - building off commercial road...

I live in a tiny village in Cornwall - just 32 houses and there are 3 families of Rovers fans living here (and no we're not all related). I was born in Bamber Bridge and grew up in Feniscowles so used to walk (as soon as I was able) to the home games through the 'dark years' of the 70s. We travelled as a family (parents and 3 brothers) to numerous away games too. I have a famly now and so getting to games is nigh on impossible. However, we try to get to a game whenever we are visiting family - at least once a season - so all three of my kids can experience the fantastic atmosphere of Ewood.

A few more villages like yours (albeit a bit closer to Ewood) and the 45,000 seater will sell out every week.

This thread makes me laugh..no names but some of the most gobbiest know it alls don't even attend games ..ha made my walk a little brighter

You forget we have tv's, and the internet to follow games.

You should read this thread properly. You will then read of the desire of some to get to games and the effort others put in to get to games.

One of the things I hate about ticketing for matches, is that seaon ticket holders get first chance to buy a ticket. I can understand in someways for games near to Blackburn, but not for games against teams in the south of the UK. the club should have a data base of where fans travel from. Because sometimes it is not possible to get tickets for games outside of Blackburn. Ironically Rovers could have a larger following for away games, if they were able to offer tickets to Rovers supporters who live in areas where Rovers will be playing their away games.

I do my upmost to get to Fulham and WHU every season, because these are home games for me - I refuse to pay the prices quoted, to get into chelsea and Arsenal and spuds.

Archived